• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017

What exactly happened?
England defender Tyrone Mings appeared to glance over his shoulder and look towards a section of the crowd after making a pass and within minutes the game was stopped.
Striker Harry Kane was in conversation with referee Ivan Bebek on the halfway line while a stadium announcement was made to condemn racist abuse and warn fans that the game could be abandoned if it continued. At the same time, England boss Southgate was talking to a number of his players.
The game resumed but was stopped again just before half-time. Southgate and several England players were in discussion with match officials before the game was restarted for a second time.
A group of Bulgaria supporters wearing black hooded tops - some wearing bandanas covering their faces - started to leave the stadium after the game was halted for a second time. BBC Radio 5 Live reported that some made right-wing and racist gestures while heading towards the exits.
After six minutes of time added at the end of the first half because of the delay, Bulgaria captain Ivelin Popov was seen in a heated debate with a section of home supporters near the tunnel while the rest of the players headed for the dressing rooms for half-time.

What is Uefa's protocol for dealing with incidents of racism?
Uefa has a three-step protocol in place for dealing with such incidents in matches.
For the first step, the referee will speak to the stadium announcer and demand the halting of racist behaviour.
If it continues, the referee can take the players off the field into the dressing rooms for a period of time and the stadium announcer will make another address.
If it still continues, the match will be abandoned.

Jul 19, 2018
It was fucking gross, and sadly not unexpected. It continued in the 2nd half, arguably the game should've been abandoned. Bulgaria should have to play a bunch of competitive home internationals behind closed doors, and be made to identify those responsible and ban them permanently. As always though, nothing like that will happen.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
throwing up hitler salutes and monkey chanting, glad they got absolutely wrecked with 5 of the goals coming from players of colour.

a big pre-emptive fuck off to UEFA too for what "punishment" they're surely going to deliver

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Any racism should be dealt with harshly. It's not enough to ban the offenders. There needs to be point deductions and fines against the offending teams. (I understand we could get situations with fans trying to get other teams in trouble with this though)

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Thread-Derailment with Whataboutism.
not to belittle what happened in Bulgaria (which was disgraceful) but England fans getting on their high horse about racism is a tad ironic.

They're about to scupper their economy for generations to come because people in the midlands don't want any more brown immigrants.

Kos Luftar

Oct 27, 2017
Need to ban their fans from all competitions for multiple years.

I hope my countrymen in Kosova don't do this stupid shit when England comes there in November.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ahhh eastern European football clubs....... actually just football clubs in general. Racism has always been a huge issue in football and as usual until UEFA and FIFA start enforcing harsh penalties it's always gonna be there.

Jul 19, 2018
not to belittle what happened in Bulgaria (which was disgraceful) but England fans getting on their high horse about racism is a tad ironic.

They're about to scupper their economy for generations to come because people in the midlands don't want any more brown immigrants.

Or those of us disgusted by tonight are the same ones disgusted by brexit and all it's entailed.

Fusionfrenzy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019

I thought whataboutism wasn't allowed here and FYI there are millions of Brits like me disgusted by and opposed to Brexit

The FA was so weak in its response in the post match interview. He was saying there was 'zero tolerance' for racism but they tolerated it three times; twice when the game carried on after the interruptions and another time when the match wasn't even stopped in the second half.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
when people continue to claim that Europe (Eastern or otherwise) doesn't actually have a racism problem, I continue to get reminded otherwise in stories just like this.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I thought whataboutism wasn't allowed here and FYI there are millions of Brits like me disgusted by and opposed to Brexit

The FA was so weak in its response in the post match interview. He was saying there was 'zero tolerance' for racism but they tolerated it three times; twice when the game carried on after the interruptions and another time when the match wasn't even stopped in the second half.

I take your point about whataboutism, but I still think it's a legitimate point to make. Raheem Sterling had to fight to get his own media to stop being racist toward him only a few months ago. It's tough to watch the English press scrambling for the high ground here

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It is time to simply walk off the pitch! They cannot win if you don't play their game and for a change UEFA/FIFA might be forced to act.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fixed.

Eastern Europe is incredibly racist.

Imagine the worst racist parts of America now ramp it up to 100 and you get eastern Europe.

If the EU = USA, then eastern Europe are those states/areas with the crazy confederate flag waving idiots.
Oh I know,its probably one of the reasons why I've been hesitant to travel through eastern Europe.

Its just that football clubs even in western Europe always seem to embody the exhibit racial/sexual tribalism more than any other sport.I suppose that could be because football is just so popular.....

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think this is a little misguided, all sensible Brits are consistent about racism, and those that aren't, are just as vile as the racist fans tonight.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Walking off isnt enough. Uefa and Fifa need to ban teams who engage in this. If they were trying to improve the situation and were making tangible (if unsuccessful) efforts to stop it I might understand, but they arent.

I bet the fans would pipe down if their team got a qualification ban from the next world cup or Euros. No matches for 2 year, have fun with that.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Well, at least they humiliated them with 6 to none and i am sure the English players were motivated by the racist display.

Now, a ban to the home team is appropriate until they find a way to expell the nazis.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
It's funny, because recently I've been seeing the sentiment that Americans are "obsessed with race"

Perhaps that's true. Because I can't imagine someone throwing out Nazi salutes and monkey chants at black athletes with impunity in America. Guess that's a European thing 🤷‍♂️

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
If they truly want to push zero tolerance, then they need to take actual action. They should be banned from qualifying for this tournament. If their fans pull this shit again, they should be banned from all tournament qualifying. Maybe then we might see some actual action taken. Losing a single game isn't enough, it needs to be harsher.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Walking off isnt enough. Uefa and Fifa need to ban teams who engage in this. If they were trying to improve the situation and were making tangible (if unsuccessful) efforts to stop it I might understand, but they arent.

I bet the fans would pipe down if their team got a qualification ban from the next world cup or Euros. No matches for 2 year, have fun with that.

This is what needs to happen. Individuals identified and banned from stadiums. Clubs fined and banned from competition.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017

The Brexit hate is primarily (but not exclusively) directed at white Polish people.
But otherwise, yeah, there are many forms of xenophobia/racism in Europe and as ever, football hooligans are the worst of the worst.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I take your point about whataboutism, but I still think it's a legitimate point to make. Raheem Sterling had to fight to get his own media to stop being racist toward him only a few months ago. It's tough to watch the English press scrambling for the high ground here

The thing is that we know in England that there is still a problem in our country. Parts of Wembley haven't been closed off because of racism though, because we do more to punish racists than Bulgaria does.

Up until the game the Bulgarian FA and the Bulgaria coach all were denying that it is a problem, this is the difference. It's normalized in Bulgaria.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Football fans are arguably the most toxic out of any of the other sports.
I would only say this is the case as it seen as cheap for many countries. Etc

The Brexit hate is primarily (but not exclusively) directed at white Polish people.
But otherwise, yeah, there are many forms of xenophobia/racism in Europe and as ever, football hooligans are the worst of the worst.
Hmm, would have to disagree. 76% of black people have said they have been racially abused since Brexit.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Fixed.

Eastern Europe is incredibly racist.

Imagine the worst racist parts of America now ramp it up to 100 and you get eastern Europe.

If the EU = USA, then eastern Europe are those states/areas with the crazy confederate flag waving idiots.

People from Eastern European countries generally hate everybody that is not them, not just based on race. :p
It is actually very normal to be hateful towards other groups of people.

Talking about the general populace, obviously not everyone is a rotten orange.

Oct 27, 2017
Eastern Europe is a socially backward wasteland.

My partner is Ukrainian and I've learned a lot over the past few years about their culture that is fucking shocking to someone born and raised in Canada (yeah yeah we have problems too I'm not saying we're flawless). Even the "progressive" ones who have immigrated to Western countries still have a hard time with a lot of it. The shit I've heard them casually say as if it's totally normal has often left me literally open-mouthed with shock.

And before everyone jumps on me for lumping all people from Eastern Europe under the same bus, go there and talk to a random person on the street about women or gay people or immigrants and then get back to me. It is what it is.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
And before everyone jumps on me for lumping all people from Eastern Europe under the same bus, go there and talk to a random person on the street about women or gay people or immigrants and then get back to me. It is what it is.

Men are the heads of the family. Women take care of the children. That is still a significant mentality and it will take a few generations until it changes.

Heterosexual people (with the addition of lesbians because I guess random men are into that and okay with that) are the only accepted ones sexual preference wise. If you are gay, keep it to yourself. You can get literally beaten up if you make too much noise about it.

Immigrants? Erase them from existence.

Yep, it is what it is. It will take time for this to change. Although with the influx of refugees from the Middle East, hatred is still on the rise.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Eastern Europe is a socially backward wasteland.

My partner is Ukrainian and I've learned a lot over the past few years about their culture that is fucking shocking to someone born and raised in Canada (yeah yeah we have problems too I'm not saying we're flawless). Even the "progressive" ones who have immigrated to Western countries still have a hard time with a lot of it. The shit I've heard them casually say as if it's totally normal has often left me literally open-mouthed with shock.

Sure, like America or the west for that matter is devoid of such backwards people