• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My white nephews will sell my house for me lmao.

The real estate industry needs a top to bottom investigation just like police departments.

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
She's saying it's the home buyers who are racist. Like how MTV blamed their audience for their policy not to show videos by black artists in the 80's.

Like how every fucking racist passes the buck when their actions are criticized.

Yep.

Hollywood: "Don't blame us, it's China that's racist! We'd handle racial inclusion flawlessly, but the racist global audience has our hands tied."

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
So, if my gf and I in the future actually manage to buy a house and sell it one day, I'll have to remove all photos of me and my family to get a fair shake.

Cool, cool.

The defense quote in the displayed thread's discussion doesn't make sense?

Many appraisers, both during the hearing and in the weeks after, defended their practice, noting that it is their job to report on local market conditions, not set them.

"Is there a problem with poor and underserved communities in the United States? Yes. Is it the appraisal profession's fault? No," wrote Maureen Sweeney, a Chicago-based appraiser in a letter to the House subcommittee following the hearing. "It's like blaming the canary for the bad air in the coal mine, or blaming the mirror for your bad hair day. Appraisers reflect the market; we do not create it."

It's basically just a round about way of saying "fuck you".

"Look, it's not my fault that I'm appraising your house for less than its worth, therefore lowering your potential to earn a comparable amount of money on this sale as your white neighbors. What do you think I am, some sort of an appraiser?"

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hope they win. Been thinking of this story a lot over last few months

Morphis

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they win too, utterly ridiculous.

Wouldn't it be hard to prove though? Can't the appraiser just say 'well, this is just what I thought it was worth'?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This needs to be legislated and standards for appraisals need to be transparent and established. It's ridiculous this happens all the damn time.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
unless it was the same appraiser i dont think they will win.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I swear I heard this story before. Oh, wait, its new. Housing appraising while black. Nearly half a million difference in appraisal price is ludicrous.

I hope they win big. Sue them into the dirt.

Morphis

Oct 28, 2017
My sister-in-law is an appraiser. She said a $500,000 discrepancy between two professionals is impossible.
Oh I immediately believe that. But proving that it is due to racism seems harder. Could just try to chalk it up to a mistake.

I imagine it'll depend on if they're able to establish a trend of appraisals of black-owned homes coming back noticeably below other similar homes on the market.
Yeah, that would seem to be the way.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I wonder if a MAGA hat on the mantel would've gained them another 200K ?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This should be a slam dunk. It's literal written in federal law, but you know never in MAGA America.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
The defense quote in the displayed thread's discussion doesn't make sense?

Many appraisers, both during the hearing and in the weeks after, defended their practice, noting that it is their job to report on local market conditions, not set them.

"Is there a problem with poor and underserved communities in the United States? Yes. Is it the appraisal profession's fault? No," wrote Maureen Sweeney, a Chicago-based appraiser in a letter to the House subcommittee following the hearing. "It's like blaming the canary for the bad air in the coal mine, or blaming the mirror for your bad hair day. Appraisers reflect the market; we do not create it."

It's basically just a round about way of saying "fuck you".

America is racist, so we need to be too is quite an interesting defense