• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

The Austin family sunk $400,000 into renovating their home, but were stunned when they barely gained any value during the appraisal process. When they had a white woman pose as the homeowner, that all changed—by half a million dollars.

Original story:
abc7news.com

Black California couple lowballed by $500K in home appraisal, believe race was a factor

The Austin family sunk $400,000 into renovating their home, but were stunned when they barely gained any value during the appraisal process. When they had a white woman pose as the homeowner, that all changed.

Trying to get a home estimate while black.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this a story from like a year ago? Or did it just happen again?

EDIT: Obviously new once I clicked, damn shit is so fucked

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
www.resetera.com

Mixed race couple DeBlacked their house, and gained 40 percent in value of the house. News

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/25/realestate/blacks-minorities-appraisals-discrimination.html Black generational wealth is non existent due to a thousand cuts like this

Not the first time. Not the last time.
The defense quote in the displayed thread's discussion doesn't make sense?

Many appraisers, both during the hearing and in the weeks after, defended their practice, noting that it is their job to report on local market conditions, not set them.

"Is there a problem with poor and underserved communities in the United States? Yes. Is it the appraisal profession's fault? No," wrote Maureen Sweeney, a Chicago-based appraiser in a letter to the House subcommittee following the hearing. "It's like blaming the canary for the bad air in the coal mine, or blaming the mirror for your bad hair day. Appraisers reflect the market; we do not create it."

It's basically just a round about way of saying "fuck you".

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I really am grateful to be born white in this country, I truly am. What the fuck is wrong with people.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Many appraisers, both during the hearing and in the weeks after, defended their practice, noting that it is their job to report on local market conditions, not set them.

"Is there a problem with poor and underserved communities in the United States? Yes. Is it the appraisal profession's fault? No," wrote Maureen Sweeney, a Chicago-based appraiser in a letter to the House subcommittee following the hearing. "It's like blaming the canary for the bad air in the coal mine, or blaming the mirror for your bad hair day. Appraisers reflect the market; we do not create it."

Organized crime boss doesn't see problem with organized crime! HMMMM

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So what you're saying is that whenever I get my own property, I need to pull in one of my white friends for the weekend to stand in for me while appraising it?

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020

Yeah, pretty awful of them.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I swear I saw this exact story a few years ago.

Edit: Oh. Same shit, different day huh.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017

"If we see a black person, we are tanking your appraisal."

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
We had a near identical thread last year if anyone had any doubt about this happening regularly.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even understand the logistics of this. So if a black person was in your house it's unclean? You need David Duke to come perform an exorcism to drive up the property value?
74220006.jpg

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't even understand the logistics of this. So if a black person was in your house it's unclean? You need David Duke to come perform an exorcism to drive up the property value?
74220006.jpg

When people are taught that black people are "less than" and "filthy animals" then idea of inhabiting the space of someone that's less than and filthy seems like a step down.

Also people generalize that black people are poorer so they feel more comfortable low balling us. "This is a lot of money for you"

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
House Staging Checklist:

- Full Cleaning
- Tidy beds
- Remove kids toys
- Lock door to Sex Dungeon
- Replace artwork with 'Live, Laugh, Love' and 'It's Five O'Clock Somewhere' signs
- Replace family photos with stock photos of White people
- Put out cookies

I kid, but it's a pretty f'd up story.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
74220006.jpg

The only thing that might have made the house even better than just having a white family "living" in it is if they had hung a confederate flag on the wall somewhere.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
When people are taught that black people are "less than" and "filthy animals" then idea of inhabiting the space of someone that's less than and filthy seems like a step down.

Also people generalize that black people are poorer so they feel more comfortable low balling us. "This is a lot of money for you"
So how does the appraisal business work? Do they teach people to do this? Does it attract a certain type of person?

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

She's saying it's the home buyers who are racist. Like how MTV blamed their audience for their policy not to show videos by black artists in the 80's.

Like how every fucking racist passes the buck when their actions are criticized.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
House Staging Checklist:

- Full Cleaning
- Tidy beds
- Remove kids toys
- Lock door to Sex Dungeon
- Replace artwork with 'Live, Laugh, Love' and 'It's Five O'Clock Somewhere' signs
- Replace family photos with stock photos of White people
- Put out cookies

I kid, but it's a pretty f'd up story.
You kid but that is fairly accurate. Replace "It's Five O'clock Somewhere" Sign with a "Footprints" canvas or a "Bless this Mess" sign.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
More proof of whiteness being the "Easy - Just Want To Experience the Story Without Being Challenged" mode in the game of life.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
This is sad and unacceptable.

Generally speaking, though, isn't dumping $400k into your home not likely to result in > $400k in home value? I wonder how much the property itself went up in value since the last appraisal... Does anyone have a sense of what home improvements literally pay for themselves or more in an appraisal?