• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Man you suck at coming up with slurs if you think calling people Nightskins is a gotcha. Badass and props to these people making it their own.

Edit: Oh man, someone even made them a D&D race.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Nightskin sounds like a fucking superhero name

Those racists are idiots lol

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Weird seeing these chuds use the term "aryan" for characters that don't actually fit that either.

Anyways, this is amazing. You love to see it.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
You probably should make sure any derogatory names you come up with actually sound derogatory.

'Nightskin' is the most ineffective term you could create.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Are Japanese people considered Aryan to these people? What's that about? Or is it one of those, "the kids in this Japanese show taking place in Tokyo are all white somehow" kinda things?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I have always loved the "Japanese animators aren't even THINKING ABOUT ENTHNICITY" argument that pops up in just about any conversation about Black inclusivity.

Because, well, if that were true (it's not)...then why are you so mad? Why do you care at all?

Anyway, "Nightskin"...yeah, that's ours now.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Are Japanese people considered Aryan to these people? What's that about? Or is it one of those, "the kids in this Japanese show taking place in Tokyo are all white somehow" kinda things?
They got big eyes and multicolored hair, of course they white!

drawntogether.gif

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
I stay away from Ani-Twitter for a multitude of reasons so I completely missed this and yeah, "Nightskins" is ours now.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

Because Japan is one of the most racial homogenous countries in the world, many white supremacists see it as a vision of a "pure" utopia so naturally they attempt to co-opt Japanese media.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Karin and Setsuna are literally Japanese.
Where is the Aryan stuff coming from?

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm white, and don't want to say the other n-word (because why would I?), but this n-word is badass and I kind of want to have it available if I ever need a sweet fantasy-esque racial descriptor. But I'll understand if it's off limits, I just need a ruling. Is it out of bounds?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

I mean pretty much lol. Because most anime characters are not drawn to have the type of eyelid structures of most people of Asian decent, a lot of these people think they can be claimed as white despite their Japanese names and where they live. It's the race version of dubs over subs

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
So I'm white, and don't want to say the other n-word (because why would I?), but this n-word is badass and I kind of want to have it available if I ever need a sweet fantasy-esque racial descriptor. But I'll understand if it's off limits, I just need a ruling. Is it out of bounds?

No.

Because, at least in my opinion, to say this term created by racist dummy ass anime fans holds that much weight now only gives them way too much power (and credit), it cheapens the seriousness of...the n-word.

Just, if you do use it, know that you're using a term that some people will know has been used to refer to Black people. The typical rules apply.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
This is weird but positive news, I suppose. Nightskin doesn't even sound remotely offensive to begin with, because it has little or no history as a slur outside of whatever a random person was trying (and failing) to do here, so if other people want to make it an actual cool thing...then by all means, go for it. The sky's the limit.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
why would you give someone the name of an elite assassin squad as an insult

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
i hope this word doesn't trend among white people. that would be shitty, to say the least.

let the black community have this one please

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Always warms my heart to see racism backfire

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So that's why this one person I follow on Twitter has that as their name. Shit, I'm with it. Rise, my fellow Nightskins!

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I needed some feel good news like chuds having shit backfire on them. Awesome to hear.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This all started because whites got mad that more Black voice actors were getting hired for roles.

So you mean to tell me that decades'-long insistence that it's okay for whites to voice everyone because "you don't see them on screen" was bullshit the whole time?

🤔

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I was wondering where this "nightskin" thing started. It actually does sound kinda badass. Lol.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit nightskin in so fucking epic lmaoo are you fucking serious. shit is dope af

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
This all started because whites got mad that more Black voice actors were getting hired for roles.

So you mean to tell me that decades'-long insistence that it's okay for whites to voice everyone because "you don't see them on screen" was bullshit the whole time?

🤔

"No you gotta understand there's not a lot of black people doing VO work anyway so you just gotta gel with white people picking up the slack."

*more black VAs get hired into VA roles*

Screen_Shot_2019-01-17_at_4.22.43_PM.jpg

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
That sounds like a cool fucking name, actually. Good to claim that shit and run with it, what a backfire from those racist morons.

Nov 4, 2017
It's some corny "knife-ears" level schoolyard bullshit as an insult, but manages to sound cool when the target group owns it.

Dear beloved black Era friends; I would be honoured if you were to call me a "dayskin".

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting something related to a black anime character in some fashion. Not some name that sounds fitting for a fantasy species of dark elves or something.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been seeing #nightskin on tiktok and didn't know the context. This is hilarious, thinking nightskin would be anything other than a cool sounding fantasy name.