• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Dying swans were found spinning in circles and discharging blood from their nostrils on Ulverston canal, Cumbria. Swan rescuers have taken in more than 25 dying birds in Worcestershire and nine swans were found dead in Stanley Park, Blackpool. Postmortem examinations have confirmed that six black swans and cygnets that died in Dawlish, Devon, had contracted the latest strain of bird flu, H5N8.

Fears are growing that the virus will wipe out chickens and other poultry this winter, with outbreaks already confirmed among captive birds in Kent, Cheshire, Leicestershire, and chickens at a broiler breeding farm in Herefordshire.

While the virus is particularly visible in swans and large wildfowl, other wild bird deaths confirmed this month include pink-footed geese, greylag geese, Canada geese, buzzards and curlews.

www.theguardian.com

Bird flu fears grow after spate of mysterious UK swan deaths

Virus causing ‘high levels of mortality’ in birds, with risk to chickens and other poultry

New type of avian flu incoming in UK.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
God I always get terrified by the bird flu. Poor swans hopefully, it doesn't harm the wildlife too much.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Poor birds :/. I know it's just availability of info and whatnot but ffs it seems like our entire world is coming undone from every angle at a rapid rate right now with viruses and climate change and racism all reaching a boiling point.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
David Cash, of Worcester Swan Rescue, said about 25 swans had died. "The swans were looking lethargic and not wanting food, and doing a lot of coughing – it's similar to the symptoms of Covid."
That's kind of what I thought with the bloody discharge from the beak and neurological symptoms. That speaks to less like a typical respiratory infection like you would think with the flu, and something more awful, potentially more cardiovascular? Either way, poor birds.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
That..is terrifying.

Hopefully it doesnt evolve to the point where it gets worse or gets the ability to transfer itself to humans....

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Walking at parks and looking at the ducks and geese has been my main outlet for going outside during the pandemic since the lakes and ponds around me are pretty open and not crowded. I need them.

I am sure the fowl will handle their pandemic better than we have.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Man, what if it's all been and extinction event all along and we're just delaying the inevitable.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Swans bleeding from the nostrils and spinning uncontrollably before dying is the most Lynchian sounding shit. Sometimes, it really does feel like we're one bad storm of amphibians away from the rapture happening.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I can't remember seeing birds in lists of animals sars-cov-2 is known to infect, but one of the receptors it recognizes (ACE2) is highly conserved so it's possible that the virus may infect swans as well. There may be a very wide range of animals that it will end up infecting (although it looks to be more likely to infect mammals):

www.pnas.org

Broad host range of SARS-CoV-2 predicted by comparative and structural analysis of ACE2 in vertebrates

The novel severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is the cause of COVID-19, a major pandemic that threatens millions of human lives and the global economy. We identified a large number of mammals that can potentially be infected by SARS-CoV-2 via their ACE2 proteins. This...
www.nature.com

SARS-CoV-2 spike protein predicted to form complexes with host receptor protein orthologues from a broad range of mammals - Scientific Reports

SARS-CoV-2 has a zoonotic origin and was transmitted to humans via an undetermined intermediate host, leading to infections in humans and other mammals. To enter host cells, the viral spike protein (S-protein) binds to its receptor, ACE2, and is then processed by TMPRSS2. Whilst receptor binding...

Last edited:

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
918992068_jytxl-1050xkek2a.jpg

919091967_eg3wg-1050xcrjt5.jpg

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't this new bird flu been circulating for months now? It is just that it took this long to reach the UK.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
Yep. In fact, the following paragraph is also in the article, but hasn't been quoted in the OP:

Brought in by wild birds migrating across Europe, the strain last caused widespread avian deaths in the winter of 2016-17. The risk to human health from the virus is very low, according to Public Health England.

And more information from elsewhere:

Prior to this, the last outbreak was confirmed at a commercial chicken farm in Mid Suffolk on 10 December 2019.

The H5N6 strain of avian influenza was confirmed in 21 wild birds between January and June 2018. There were no cases in poultry.

According to the NHS, the H5N8 strain has not infected any humans worldwide to date, while H5N6 hasn't infected anyone in the UK and doesn't spread from humans to birds easily.

Public Health England has said the risk to public health and food safety from the virus is low, with properly cooked poultry and poultry products including eggs posing no danger.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The bird flu is cropping up regularly and last time my mother had to have her chickens confined to an inside coop. Most of the infections to poultry happen on open range fields, as infected birds can land there and transmit the virus through their feces.
veterinarians have quite strict and robust epidemic procedures in place and deal with stuff like this every year.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
The bird flu is cropping up regularly and last time my mother had to have her chickens confined to an inside coop. Most of the infections to poultry happen on open range fields, as infected birds can land there and transmit the virus through their feces.
veterinarians have quite strict and robust epidemic procedures in place and deal with stuff like this every year.
Last time this happened it became extremely hard to buy free range chicken... which is a bit of a pain as it's the only chicken I'll buy.

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn. it would really suck if it wiped out poultry this winter. Last thing we need is this shit.