• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Near on PS Vita was actually pretty cool. Sadly the service got taken down.
Skype was on Vita as well.
Also the back of the vita was touch and was seldom used for games really just a few.

Pictochat on Nintendo DS was a cool feature.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless something changed between January and March 2017...highly unlikely given production time lags...it actually is:

it's not haptic. Nintendo went through every feedback function prior to the the release and haptic was never brought up, and teardowns show it's a regular screen. Nintendo is probably just licensing the non-haptic touchscreen functions. they might have a license to haptic stuff but never bothered to use it

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Copying music discs to your hard drive on Xbox 360 so that you can use the songs in several games, or in one small time period, use songs and custom chants in FIFA for every single club, that was freaking insane.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
There are zero notable titles that make significant use of the touchscreen...I don't think your comment makes any sense..or at least I don't understand it...don't most games require use of joy cons or the pro controller?

What I mean is the reason there are few games that use the touchscreen extensively is because Nintendo doesn't want to push too many games that make you play the Switch a certain way. They want most games to give you options, crucially a touchscreen-heavy game couldn't be played Docked.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
That speaker on the Wii remote. It sounded like shit on the off chance that a game did use it.
Haha, yeah. Cute idea using it for the NMH phone calls, but the audio in some scenes was barely comprehensible from what I remember.

I'm debating whether the Wii MotionPlus qualifies here. It came out late and was only utilized in a few games, but those games were fairly successful. I can't help but feel it was what the Wiimote should have been from day 1.

On topic... there was a Wii U feature that was a last minute addition that (so far as I know) never got used. Originally, the system was going to only support a single gamepad. After outcry from fans Nintendo announced that it would be possible to drive two gamepads from one Wii U system (at 30fps)... but there was never a convenient way to get a second gamepad, nor were there any games announced that would have utilized this feature. It's a shame, there were some cool multiplayer possibilities if each player had their own screen in addition to the main TV.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It was possible for Wii games to lift information from the Weather Channel, so you could theoretically have life sim games that accurately matched your real-world weather conditions. The only game that I recall actually using it, though, was NiGHTS and its weird sandbox mode.

It's kinda obvious why few games implemented it, though. If you lived in somewhere with a pretty mild or dry climate for most of the year it'd be pretty boring in games like Animal Crossing.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
The memory card slot on the 360. I remember demo consoles let you do something with them, but I never saw people use them and never used it when I got my 360. Seems like an odd feature in the age of the HDD.
That was before they allowed USB flashdrives via update to be used for save games. The OG Core 360 came with no HDD at all, only the Pro version with 20GB (and later the Arcade version with 4GB). The Pro version were only upgraded to 60 GB in later revisions and only then, with bigger HDDs and the aforementioned firmware update, memory cards became obsolete.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
SharePlay.

Out basically since the PS4 launched, as an aside to remote play.

Allows you to share your screen with another person for making local coop games work as if online, or handing off the controller to someone else across the world to help you pass something difficult or tricky (or secret).

Yeah.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SharePlay.

Allows you to share your screen with another person for making local coop games work as if online, or handing off the controller to someone else across the world to help you pass something difficult or tricky (or secret).

Yeah.

I was literally mid-typing this out then your post appeared. SharePlay is a huge feature but it suffered under weak internet connections and then certain games started to block it from being used.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Pressure sensitive buttons and gyro in the controllers. Sony has been ignoring them since 2008 and it's baffling.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The touchpad on PS4 is either obsolete or underused. Both count in my book. Sony is also stuck with it forever as long as they want to do backwards compatibility.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's understandably hesitant to push too much software that forces you to use the Switch a certain way, like there are only so many joycon-only titles too. Fits after that lack of focus was part of what brought the Wii U down.
Yeah but would it kill them to touch support to menus? Especially in something like Pokémon where you spend a ton of time in menus and has been all in on touchscreen menus throughout the entire DS and 3DS generations.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
The top middle button and back of the Wii Classic Controller. As far as I know, that feature never got used.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I was literally mid-typing this out then your post appeared. SharePlay is a huge feature but it suffered under weak internet connections and then certain games started to block it from being used.
Interesting - I've yet to encounter a blocked game, but since it's up to devs (like blocked scenes for recording / streaming, ugh) I totally see how it'd happen.

Just last night helped someone in GTAV who is still super new to do the 50 headshot challenge using the RDR2 double-revolver so they could get the $250,000. reward. Connection was fine enough that I could whip between targets and then adjust to do headshots. They had a PS4 for years, but had no idea the feature existed lol.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Interesting - I've yet to encounter a blocked game, but since it's up to devs (like blocked scenes for recording / streaming, ugh) I totally see how it'd happen.

Just last night helped someone in GTAV who is still super new to do the 50 headshot challenge using the RDR2 double-revolver so they could get the $250,000. reward. Connection was fine enough that I could whip between targets and then adjust to do headshots. They had a PS4 for years, but had no idea the feature existed lol.

The worst is Persona 5, which just blocks the entire game once you hit start on the title screen.

And yeah I miss the custom soundtrack feature of the 360. The original Xbox had this feature for a few games like Project Gotham, but it was on every game on the 360 and it was great. It not the same just muting the game audio and putting on a phone with the tracks playing.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Dreamcast VMUs could link together presumably to trade items or save files.

OG PSX had ports in the back for certain light guns to connect to? That or component ports?

LAN and online adapter for GameCube was used for like 3 games.

GBA to GameCube link cable also limited use.

3DS never utilizing the 3D outward facing cameras.

Wii remote (and DS and 3DS) not using their built in microphones for communication (maybe metroid prime hunters used it for online play?). Very weird animal Crossing had the TV mic when the Wii remote had a mic built in that was never used for anything.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I'm still amazed the 360 supported VGA and various resolutions out of the box.

Like, Microsoft didn't have to do that, but I guess it was one of the benefits of using a dedicated analog scaler chip.

Xbox 360 supported, via its plethora of cables (some resolutions were analog only):

640x480
848x480
800x600
1024x768
1280x720
1280x1024
1360x768
1440×900
1680x1050
1920x1080

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
SharePlay.

Yeah.

Yup, I was also thinking this.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
HD Rumble. Nintendo didn't even use it for their BotW flagship release and I've see barely any great implementations.
Trust me HD Rumble is for sure going to be the new Rumble on everything. The Steam controller was the first Device to support it and it gave you an almost native trackpad feel. The Joycon Versions are used in a ton of games really well (The Mario Party Jingle is the best one). There's no reason to use Rumble Motors when things like HD Rumble are both smaller & has better use cases.

Jun 2, 2019
The top middle button and back of the Wii Classic Controller. As far as I know, that feature never got used.

Supposedly was for an accessory to put the wiimote in instead of having it laying elsewhere. Kinda like this

wiiclips-797226.jpg

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed having 2 HDMIs on the Xbox when I didn't have access to a tv with speakers.

I would turn my Xbox on which was plugged into a monitor, plug my headphones in the controller, connect my Switch dock to my Xbox, and play my Switch with audio.

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
The one which allowed you to start playing a game while it's still being downloaded. Most of the games that did implement this feature on the Xbox One just took you to a static screen telling you to wait until the game has finished installing.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Launch PS3 had 4 different memory stick readers (why not a simple USB port?) and could read SACD.

You know, those DVD with audio data that sold like, 20,000 copies at best?

I came in to mention this. SACD's weren't "DVD's with audio data" though, that was DVD-Audio, which is an even MORE obscure audio format that never took off.
SACD is exactly what the name says- super audio CDs.

The format was EXTREMELY dead by the time the PS3 launched and Sony never mentioned it was there, so it's inclusion (and later exclusion) is one of the stranger things about the system.

Jun 2, 2019
that means the Switch is a successor to that in a way. the Wii U really was a prototype Switch

Yeah, kind of curious, right? It also lines up with that initial info about the classic controller as a controller you would put your Wiimote on

This is what I always imagined, but it either never happened or it wasn't really used much.

Nintendo never implemented it themselves, but there were some grips and accessory packs that included something to put the Wiimote on. I've been working on something similar to hold my Gbros

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Can the switch support local wireless multiplayer by sharing one game cart?

Many games on the DS/3DS supported this but I have yet to see one on the switch.
Sort of?
There was a game released called the namco cillection, and it included a game called Pac Man Vs. Originally on the gamecube.
On the gamecube, 1 player would have a gba hooked up to the gamecube and would dodge the ghosts who had limited vision of the map while pacman could see the entire thing.
On switch, there was a seperate app you can download for free that lets you play as Pac-Man and search for slmeome with the full game locally to play as the ghosts.

Oct 25, 2017
You have to realise that at the time digital distribution via the 360 was files that maxed out at like 50MB, XBLA wasn't expected to take off and had very strict size limits, the storefront was basically just a long unorganised list, patches were measured in kilobytes - the expectation was that the 20GB hard drive was a premium that people would maybe upgrade to eventually. That Core system was there because, PS3 aside, consoles typically were expected to be under £200, and being able to say "hey you can get a 360 for less than half the cost of the PS3" was a big deal, it was the only reason I got one.

That memory card slot was just that, it was meant to be for saving games and playing like we'd always done. My first 360 was a Core with a memory card, and I had that for maybe... 2 years? I don't think it was short sighted at all at the time to ship a system without a hard drive, I do think that come the 360 S though that the 4GB should not have been a thing, it should have come with 60gb minimum.

The problem with all that is it permanently hamstrung developers. You ended up with weird stuff like Halo 3 performing worse if you installed it on the hard drive and people who didn't have hard drives unable to do co-op. Giving devs the expectations they could install stuff to the hard drive would have made playing games better.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really a feature, but I'm surprised nintendo didn't make nintendoland 2 for the switch. The switch has all the features that game requires. Part 1 was super fun.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
The Sixaxis on PlayStation 3.

In Heavenly Sword you shook the controller to recover from an attack.

Worked perfectly and seemed like it would have been a natural fit for all 3rd person action games from that point on.

Not so.

I'm so glad it's unused. I still haven't finished Heavenly Sword because of mandatory sixaxis use. I got sutck on one puzzle where I had to use it to aim some projectile or something. I couldn't use something else and no matter how many times I tried, I could't. I simply cannot use sixaxis, any game making it mandatory would've made itself impossible for me.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
The SEGA Dreamcast includes an alternate system menu that was inexplicably only accessible by playing Puyo Puyo Fever. (Note that it was the last first-party game released on the system. Which might explain things a bit.)

The PS3 includes an entire PSP emulator in it's system firmware, complete with the somewhat ahead of it's time feature of replacing textures with higher res ones.
But it's only used in two specific edge cases.The ill-fated "Playstation Minis" collection of small PSP games, alongside a small selection of Japan-only "HD remasters". and only the latter actually makes use of the HD textures function.

They also briefly experimented with implementing the "Folding@Home" distributed computing project onto the system, but it was removed in 2012.
Folding@home_540x357.png

So a few weeks ago, my dad finds an ancient compact flash card, and was wondering if I could get photos off it. I had forgotten about it until today, when I was in the mood to play my PS3... and realize there's a god damn compact flash slot on the thing. I put the card in, and lo and behold, there's pictures of my cousin playing football (the american one) from 2008!

Only early PS3 models include the Compact Flash slot, as part of a fold-out compartment on the front.
sony-playstation-ps3-60gb-backwards_1_410d85346b816495cfd277bec169cb26.jpg

Later original models, and all slim/superslim models. Remove those ports entirely.

Oct 25, 2017
Yall probably don't even remember how the Wii U Gamepad had a camera AND a full-blown Wii Sensor Bar on it

because that shit was never used for anything good

...like, imagine being 2012-era Nintendo

everyone asking you why you suck at online, and you're always like, 'we prefer to help people have fun together in the same room, but we'll, like, totally persue online if we can make it feel more like that'
and then you come out with a console that includes a fuckin Skype tablet in every box
and you choose to just completely ignore the most obvious use-case in the world

think about it. playing Mario Kart or Mario Party or Smash Bros with your buddies, and simultaneously interacting with them by way of video feed through the Gamepad... it would have been a unique draw, something more personal and more like the local play experience than online multiplayer usually is... if only Nintendo had bothered

Expecting Nintendo to get online gaming is like expecting Apple to get gaming. Just ain't in the company DNA.

Best case scenario is Nintendo gets to the point where they're not as many as two generations of competitor features behind.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
GBA to GameCube link cable also limited use.

I remember being so so excited about this feature only to have it just fizzle out. A few really cool ideas, but mostly weird gimmicky stuff....and then weird shit like in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.

But what really blew my mind was that Nintendo didn't keep rolling with this. The Nintendo DS and the Wii could communicate with each other, as evidenced by the bizarre "download a game demo to your DS" thing that never really got much traction.

In a world where both the DS and Wii did insane numbers why not then release that asymmetrical Pac Man game? Why not then release a co-op RPG where players didn't have to bug one another with the menus?

Is it because they can't sell you the link cable since all communication would be wireless? Blows my mind.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The dual shock 4 touchpad is definitely a big one.

Witcher 3: If you press it once, it opens the menu. If you press it for a longer time, it goes straight to the inventory. If you swipe it, it goes straight to the map.
Especially later in the game when your inventory is full and every opening takes a few seconds this is a lifesaver. It makes navigating the menu so much more comfortable.

This basic concept could be adapted to every single open world game with minor adjustments depending on the game itself, but it basically never happens.

They should have made the touchpad highly customizable. Every game that doesn't have a bespoke use for it should allow you to assign different menus/uses to the touchpad. It is criminally underutilized as it stands.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I remember being so so excited about this feature only to have it just fizzle out. A few really cool ideas, but mostly weird gimmicky stuff....and then weird shit like in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.

But what really blew my mind was that Nintendo didn't keep rolling with this. The Nintendo DS and the Wii could communicate with each other, as evidenced by the bizarre "download a game demo to your DS" thing that never really got much traction.

In a world where both the DS and Wii did insane numbers why not then release that asymmetrical Pac Man game? Why not then release a co-op RPG where players didn't have to bug one another with the menus?

Is it because they can't sell you the link cable since all communication would be wireless? Blows my mind.
The coolest part of Battle Revolution was using the DS as the controller to select moves. Was also able to transfer Wild World saves to City Folk. Needed more of stuff like that.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I came in to mention this. SACD's weren't "DVD's with audio data" though, that was DVD-Audio, which is an even MORE obscure audio format that never took off.
SACD is exactly what the name says- super audio CDs.

The format was EXTREMELY dead by the time the PS3 launched and Sony never mentioned it was there, so it's inclusion (and later exclusion) is one of the stranger things about the system.

They technically are just DVDs afaik, just authored/mastered/whatever differently, so no normal player can deal with this layer.

There is a surprisingly good selection of SACD out there and I really enjoy the ones I managed to get my hands on XD

Even more obscure is the ability to play your own selfmade "DSD Discs" on every PS3 model. They are just data DVDs containing the same kind of audio format as SACD, but in its uncompressed form (which means SACD rips won't fit on one disc).