• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I dont think there's a bubble popping. Its just going to be rollercoaster rides like today with inflation and selloff. It's wild, but that's the price we pay.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
The question with regards to bit coin, a bubble and a crash is not if, it's when. It will crash it has to. I know everyone is riding high and will think I am foolish and that's fine. Many in the mortgage industry thought that too. History will prove me right. The real question is, what is the floor for bit coin, that is what I have no earthly idea about. Maybe it is $20k, maybe it is $50k. But if the floor is $50k and it hits $65k and corrects, that will be a pretty lousy day for investors. These are all hypothetical numbers of course.

It can be like $500k too.
This shit is way too crazy

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
Ok i'm walking away for now. Seems like things have settled a bit. I was afraid to pee and come back at 20k+ lol. For all that I gained with BTC I lost like 5x that in the general stock market this week. :P

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
You know, i think I'm gonna take it easy and dip my toe in first (once purchases are enabled again lol)
$50 LTC, $50 ETH, $100 BTC seem like a good start point to learn this stuff?

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about gambling a bit of money on bitcoins on the last few days but it seems like its the worst time to try.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome!! What'd you put into it if you don't mind me asking? Did you just put it into bit coin or did you do ether/litecoin too?
I bought 500 bucks of bitcoin at 11.5k. Im really tempted in buying more though. I think i will sell the next time it peaks and buy more if a big 7k-ish drop happens.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
You know, i think I'm gonna take it easy and dip my toe in first (once purchases are enabled again lol)
$50 LTC, $50 ETH, $100 BTC seem like a good start point to learn this stuff?

Look into IOTA. It has major corporations interested in it (MS, VW, Fujistu). I got in a few weeks ago and it has been a while ride. It hit $5 a few days ago but has corrected back to $3. IOTA can be purchased on binance.

I have my play money half in Bitcoin, half in IOTA.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Look into IOTA. It has major corporations interested in it (MS, VW, Fujistu). I got in a few weeks ago and it has been a while ride. It hit $5 a few days ago but has corrected back to $3. IOTA can be purchased on binance.

Cool. Thanks for the info.
I just noticed there's a cryptocurrency OT so I'll likely mosey that way soon

Kinopio

Oct 27, 2017

Is there a beginners FAQ somewhere that explains how to transfer LTC or ETH to something like IOTA on Binance? I bought both a while back on Coinbase but am having a difficult time figuring out how to transfer funds.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone providing their SSNs or any identifiable tax information to these exchanges where you are making trades?

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Is there a beginners FAQ somewhere that explain how to transfer LTC or ETH to something like IOTA on Binance? I bought both a while back on Coinbase but am having a difficult time figuring out how to transfer funds.

Once you get the LTC or ETH into Binance, on the right side is a list of coin/coin. If you have ETH find IOTA/ETH and click on it. Then in the middle you can buy IOTA with your ETH.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Going to throw in some investment money I have into this, $1000 to start. Bitcoin and ETH the best to go with or is there something else on the horizon that I should probably jump in now. I know this is mostly guesswork but what are some smart ways to try this?

anthro

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone smart tell me if the price is being propped for futures exchange if that even makes sense? It's rising so fast.

I wouldn't understand how that makes sense. The much touted CME futures are cash based, meaning they are only correlated to bitcoin's price. When you buy/sell one of these futures, you're making a bet on where bitcoin's price will be at some point in the future. If you win that bet, you get a payout in cash. Theoretically as a futures contract, you could then use that money to buy bitcoins, since the utility of futures before becoming widespread financial derivatives was to hedge against price change for some market. So the common example is some industrial context, like a company making cars or something, and in order to calculate their costs for a time period they might want to hedge against price increase in something like oil or steel by buying a contract for X amount of steel deliverable at such and such date for Y price. If the price goes up, it was a good deal. If it goes down, then they're now buying that input for higher than market price. Finance takes the same principle for futures contracts, but realized that all of these goods were equivalent through money. So you can have the same contract, but just say you'll pay them the money they need to buy the steel. Except in finance, nobody is buying steel, they're just betting.

Edit: though I'd add there is a kind of conspiracy theory that banks are going to buy a bunch of bitcoin, short it in the futures market and then dump the bitcoin.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Going to throw in some investment money I have into this, $1000 to start. Bitcoin and ETH the best to go with or is there something else on the horizon that I should probably jump in now. I know this is mostly guesswork but what are some smart ways to try this?
I'm thinking I will put some money into IOTA and see where that goes.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I give up, I'm in.

Where is the best place to start? I'm outside of the US so I'm not sure if this coin place I see mentioned would be the best option.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue with crypto is that you can not buy almost anything without converting to/from ETH or bitcoin, neither of which scale well and are dead end bubbles waiting to burst. I consider IOTA to have some potential as an investment due to its corporate backing, but I see no way to convert directly from USD to IOTA or from IOTA to USD

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH

Seems to be some hype behind Xtrabytes (XBY) so I tossed some into that. They keep saying that 2018 is going to be a huge year for them so I figure why not.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Seems to be some hype behind Xtrabytes (XBY) so I tossed some into that. They keep saying that 2018 is going to be a huge year for them so I figure why not.
Nobody's gonna say that next year isn't going to be a huge year for them.
Though the only reason I don't have any XBY is that I don't wanna sign up to yet another exchange.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
The biggest issue with crypto is that you can not buy almost anything without converting to/from ETH or bitcoin, neither of which scale well and are dead end bubbles waiting to burst. I consider IOTA to have some potential as an investment due to its corporate backing, but I see no way to convert directly from USD to IOTA or from IOTA to USD
Iota is the one I want to look at also but it Seems complicated to aquire it though and I'm clueless lol

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hype, or shilling?

I'd also like to buy some XBY if I can ever get some money to an exchange that offers it but it is really aggressively marketed here and elsewhere

Last edited:

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
today is a really messed up day to just start jumping in though, this morning was unreal, i had my fill of excitement for a while, i hope it doesn't slam to 12k cos honestly i was guessing it was going to when it hit almost 20k and went batshit crazy

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YOOO WTF

Just double checked this and it's 22 000 Canadian for one bitcoin??? It was just 9000 like 2 weeks ago when I bought 300$ worth. Doubled my money lol.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Well its official I am in the game boys, threw in a hundred during lunch break. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Weird that it takes a week to process though, guessing I am not officially in until then

boi

Nov 1, 2017
My portfolio is a little over USD 10k now. I started with 1000 USD in July. I put in quite some money in Substratum now. The idea behind is pretty cool, so I hope it will take off.

anthro

Oct 28, 2017

I'm not sure why there aren't a greater amount of exchanges that deal in dollars, maybe somebody could make that clear. They'd be doing these platforms a service, unless governments like the United States are into self-harm they're never going to accept any cryptocurrency they can't issue as payment for taxes. When I read Newegg's explanation of their acceptance of bitcoin, I see exactly where it is competitive. It's digital cash, little to no fees (in the case of iota), that can be delivered much quicker than a check or visa.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
What are the recommended exchanges that allow to buy BTC with USD? I tried Coinbase but isn't available for my country (Uruguay). I tried registering in Kraken but site keeps crashing. I registered in Bitstamp and I'm awaiting verification.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think there's a bubble popping. Its just going to be rollercoaster rides like today with inflation and selloff. It's wild, but that's the price we pay.

I mean people don't usually see the bubble coming and bursting, otherwise there wouldn't be a bubble to begin with.

You see the odd people, but the euphoria of ever climbing gains sweeps people up.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
So what happens when the 21 millionth coin is mined? From my small understanding about Bitcoin, that is the final amount of coin you can mine right now(I am casually aware that this was intended). And even after googling for an answer I can't really find any good info on what happens after that?

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why there aren't a greater amount of exchanges that deal in dollars, maybe somebody could make that clear. They'd be doing these platforms a service, unless governments like the United States are into self-harm they're never going to accept any cryptocurrency they can't issue as payment for taxes. When I read Newegg's explanation of their acceptance of bitcoin, I see exactly where it is competitive. It's digital cash, little to no fees (in the case of iota), that can be delivered much quicker than a check or visa.

Correct. Don't worry, BTC is essentially gambling/investing. Right now everyone is buying BTc but needs to convert it into USD to actually spend it most places. I'm just waiting for the IRS to come down on how to tax it. Everyone is supposed to report all BTc gains themselves because the exchanges are essentially shams that don't collect the required info and are refusing to comply with government orders to turn over the information they do have. You are essentially making money in the Us by converting it not USD and not paying taxes. This is how crypto dies. The government wants its cut of gains and the only way it gets it is by getting personal info which removes the entire purpose of the currency.