• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I was reading the Wikipedia entry on the history of Bitcoin, and they mention that in 2009, before the introduction of any public exchanges, a heavy user tried to auction 10,000BTC for $50. Nobody bit back then. Quite the missed opportunity.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
There is no such thing. Rule of thumb is if they make money you've already missed the boat.

Plus try selling it if you have some.

This is a terrible post all around. You ignored their question about a guide and you suggested that if money has already been made, you can't make more money. That makes no sense. Given that logic, no one should invest in anything (stocks, bonds, crypto, etc) ever. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Coinbase has been know to shutdown when things get dicy, like when BTC starts to unexpectedly tank. When that happens, there isnt anything you can do with your coins. Also I think its only insured up to a limited amount, if it is at all. I am not sure. Basically as the saying goes. If you dont own the private keys you dont own your coins.

$250,000 is the limit for FDIC insurance, though it seems I may have been mistaken in thinking it also covers the coins. Never mind, a wallet does sound much safer if the insurance is not there.

Only your USD wallet is FDIC insured on coinbase. They say they have a general insurance policy though

Wow... that is pretty misleading if they tout FDIC insurance, but only for the USD wallet and not the coins you hold. I am sure they have it written somewhere specifying that, so they don't hold liability, but didn't see anything like that.

Also I just realized my question mainly pertain to U.S citizens and not other countries, since I am not sure how they handle banking insurance and such.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a terrible post all around. You ignored their question about a guide and you suggested that if money has already been made, you can't make more money. That makes no sense. Given that logic, no one should invest in anything (stocks, bonds, crypto, etc) ever. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

Read my post again. I know full well about investing.

Never invest at a high, ever. Unless you want to gamble money. It's not rocket science.

If you want to invest in a bubble then go ahead, but Bitcoin is an auction when it comes to selling. Good luck getting the apparent market value now in cash, just ain't gonna happen.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I also never ignored any question as it was my first post, specify it so I might be able to.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I know I'm being lazy, but an excel template would be much appreciated!

https://goo.gl/YeFjN2

There's my Excel file (you can click the link which goes to Google Drive, then download it as an Excel file). This Excel file is the E-ledger I created to keep track of my Buying (USD to coin), transfers (wallet-to-exchange or exchange-to-exchange, etc), exchanges (coin-to-coin), and then sales (coin-to-USD). It's got a second tab at the bottom I use to keep track of whatever coin I currently am holding, including a space for a relevant blockchain explorer, what type of wallet I have, and my public address. Let me know if you or others have suggestions to improve it. I think it's super valuable for record-keeping and tax-paying purposes. Don't ever store private keys in here if you have a paper wallet, of course.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Read my post again. I know full well about investing.

Never invest at a high, ever. Unless you want to gamble money. It's not rocket science.

If you want to invest in a bubble then go ahead, but Bitcoin is an auction when it comes to selling. Good luck getting the apparent market value now in cash, just ain't gonna happen.

What? It's very easy to cash out at the current market rate.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
It was a fairy tale anyway. Good for the papers.

I'm seeing a lot of people justify getting in now because they don't want to miss out on what was historically possible, even though almost nobody would have held through all of that until now. People have 100:1+ returns dancing around in their heads and I don't think that's realistic at this point.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone claiming to get the going rate (market) is full of shit. Literally, this is not how Bit Coin has ever worked. Search my posts etc.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's literally supply and demand. No one ever sells for market price and if people think they do then more fool on you.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of people justify getting in now because they don't want to miss out on what was historically possible, even though almost nobody would have held through all of that until now. People have 100:1+ returns dancing around in their heads and I don't think that's realistic at this point.
Didn't this exact run-up happen in winter 2013 but scaled down by 10? From under 100 to roughly 1300 in under two months and then started tanking in January, bottoming out around pre-peak prices?

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So the futures will either boost or tank the market. It's one or the other. What's easier to do?

I can see an early boost since investors won't want to scare away the stupid money (amateur investors with fomo), but I can also see a tank because it's very easy to manipulate the market. It's scary to try and guess as to what will happen on the 10th and 18th...

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User has been warned: attacks user for a post that had was meant to help another user out.
What're you talking about? My post has nothing to do with mining Bitcoin.

You might be in the wrong thread then if you don't want to talk about Bit Coin.

You said my post was terrible which is fair enough (subjective, semantics) and I gave a response.

I never once said you mined Bitcoin. I will however say that buying into it now is pretty stupid. Like it or don't , that's up to you.

Oct 27, 2017
So the futures will either boost or tank the market. It's one or the other. What's easier to do?

I can see an early boost since investors won't want to scare away the stupid money (amateur investors with fomo), but I can also see a tank because it's very easy to manipulate the market. It's scary to try and guess as to what will happen on the 10th and 18th...

What's on the 10th and 18th? Sorry if this has been mentioned in here, haven't seen it.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's growing way too fast. I would love these financial news outlets to do a survey to get a feel of what these holders think makes og bitcoin worth buying into.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
It's growing way too fast. I would love these financial news outlets to do a survey to get a feel of what these holders think makes og bitcoin worth buying into.

I think some people are selling half their gold and putting that money into bitcoin. Why not. digital has worked out great in the past. The world is interested by a decentralized currency (for various reasons). People are greedy and don't like missing out on ridiculous profit. (FOMO).

All valid reasons. Also, people who already made a ton of money with bitcoin/litecoin feel compelled to tell their friends and families, fueling the speculation.

Vautrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to send my ID to coinbase but I don't see a message in my texts? Now says limit exceeded.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to thank Coinbase's network for being completely trashed last night, causing my BTC transfers to exchanges to take so long that I didn't have time to buy some shitty alts. What a day to be holding Bitcoin!

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So assuming this went up to one million. Wouldn't it result in ridiculous inflation? If everyone becomes a multi millionaire the price of everything would rise by a ridiculous amount.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So assuming this went up to one million. Wouldn't it result in ridiculous inflation? If everyone becomes a multi millionaire the price of everything would rise by a ridiculous amount.

Most people are not becoming millionaires from bitcoin. Even at it's current price, most people cant afford 1 bitcoin. So already becoming a bitcoin millionaire is a longshot for the vast majority of anyone that will ever own bitcoin.

And even if bitcoin ever hit 1 million, it wouldn't cause inflation, it would simply be a result of money having been redistributed between people.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I've been reading through and following (trying to follow?) this thread for a few days now and I really wish I understood things more so I could know what I'm doing and feel comfortable getting in on all this lol.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow wish I bought some back when they were five cents. Oh well, certainly not getting on the train now, jesus christ.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
How often do big sells, on the order of $1 million US+ happen? Obviously split up among many wallets, you can probably see a pattern, right? How often does that happen?

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
How often do big sells, on the order of $1 million US+ happen? Obviously split up among many wallets, you can probably see a pattern, right? How often does that happen?
Not sure what you're asking, but you can check the daily trading volume on https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/ it's currently:

$13,604,000,000 USD / 949,524 BTC

That's 13.6 billion dollars worth of Bitcoin exchanged in the last 24 hours.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you're asking, but you can check the daily trading volume on https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/ it's currently:

$13,604,000,000 USD / 949,524 BTC

That's 13.6 billion dollars worth of Bitcoin exchanged in the last 24 hours.

What I'd like to see is single users selling large quantities - large purchases or just getting different currencies. Do you ever see 10 wallets all sell 10BTC all at once? Even bigger sales?

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I'd like to see is single users selling large quantities - large purchases or just getting different currencies. Do you ever see 10 wallets all sell 10BTC all at once? Even bigger sales?

Me and a friend was watching the gdax a couple of days ago while slacking of at work. Several people were selling 10+ coins at a time. Highest we saw was 92