• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So it's not actually serving any purpose other than itself?

And does that much computational power and energy use need to be done to create a secure ledger? Like, does every crypto do the same thing and burn oil fields for this sole purpose?
The idea is that the weight of computing power to secure the ledger has to be stronger than the computing power to usurp the ledger could possibly be in order to maintain trust, I believe? I'm fuzzy.

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We, as a species, are so incredibly fucking stupid when it comes to money. Let's destroy the planet further for something with no actual value. The calculations aren't even put to good use, fuckouttahere. We deserve our fate.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Cryptocurrencies are created by having computers solve incredibly difficult math problems; this uses a lot of computing power and thus electricity. Some currencies, like bitcoin, have pre-programmed absolute limit on how many bitcoins can exist (to create scarcity); as the numbers of bitcoins approaches the limit the cost to mine one bitcoin increases exponentially. This is why the eletricity cost is so huge -- people are organizing massive computers banks to mine bitcoins as the return on investment decreases.
Is the point of the math problem just to create scarcity or does it work towards something else?

Because if it's just to increase scarcity it seems like an incredibly pointless and wasteful system to have set up.

Now of it was all working towards something like folding at home and actively helping some scientific modelling etc that would at least make something worthwhile come out of it other than making rich people richer.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is the point of the math problem just to create scarcity or does it work towards something else?
A secure ledger. But also scarcity in a way, yeah. Because the difficulty of the problem is specifically chosen such that it will take 10 minutes for the currently dedicated computing power to solve. Every 10 minutes, another problem gets solved, the amount of computing power dedicated to solving gets measured, and the difficulty of the problem gets adjusted to maintain this rate. If bitcoin was just as easy to mine now as it was in the long long long ago, in terms of hash per coin, I imagine you'd have like... absolutely ridiculous hyperinflation. Or nothing and a dead currency. As a reminder, the first guy to spend bitcoin on a purchase spent 10k btc on two pizzas.

EDIT: I was mistaken. I said 15 minutes, but it's 10.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
A secure ledger. But also scarcity in a way, yeah. Because the difficulty of the problem is specifically chosen such that it will take 15 minutes for the currently dedicated computing power to solve. Every 15 minutes, another problem gets solved, the amount of computing power dedicated to solving gets measured, and the difficulty of the problem gets adjusted to maintain this rate.
Thanks for the explanation.

Just seems like such a waste. Like I said previously, it should be set up to solve problems that would feed into something bigger and more meaningful. Of course then you run the risk of that being absurd by someone in charge of it with regards to rights etc but I'm sure something could be worked out to give it some meaning.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
That's worrying. I think bitcoin is mostly a false solution at this stage. Hasn't really contributed much of anything to solving the major problems that most people face. Particularly becuase most people with the most pressing issues, don't use it or benefit from it anyway. It is mostly a far more limited to solution than some who live mostly virtual lives would like to believe. In most cases, we need to encourage more concrete solutions to problems, rather than rely every more heavily on the virtual.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely disgusting to be honest. If anything summed up capitalism, it's self destructive nonsense like this.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I had no idea about this and it's completely abhorrent.

As someone said above, it really does sum up the self-destructive attitude of our dying planet if we're willing to blow up the ecosystem for useless internet-coins.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Just seems like such a waste. Like I said previously, it should be set up to solve problems that would feed into something bigger and more meaningful. Of course then you run the risk of that being absurd by someone in charge of it with regards to rights etc but I'm sure something could be worked out to give it some meaning.

To be fair to bitcoin's creators they did not foresee the insane speculative bubble that has led to people sucking up entire power plant's worth of electricity to mine every last bitcoin as fast as possible

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
To be fair to bitcoin's creators they did not foresee the insane speculative bubble that has led to people sucking up entire power plant's worth of electricity to mine every last bitcoin as fast as possible
To counter that though, how else could it have gone?

I can't foresee any other path than either it failed to take off or it became successful and those with the money and resources to take advantage of it would do so.

Cub3h

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So.. we're using up a load of fossil fuels and shooting tons of CO2 in the atmosphere to.. what? Normal payment processors can process millions of transactions for the cost of one bitcoin transaction, and if you want a "store of value" then Gold doesn't just sit there spewing out toxic fumes. It's gambling for tech bros, nothing more, nothing less. Nothing of value is being created here and the quicker it goes down to $0 the better.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
To counter that though, how else could it have gone?

I can't foresee any other path than either it failed to take off or it became successful and those with the money and resources to take advantage of it would do so.

A lot of naivete was involved but it's important to remember that bitcoin was intended to be a currency -- bitcoins would be mined slowly by individual users and then enter into circulation to be used the same way dollar bills are. Unfortunately, the fact that bitcoins have a hard total limit means the currency is under constant deflationary pressure, which makes it more valuable to hold them then to spend, and speculators soon moved in and now it's just another financial commodity. It's original purpose is pretty much completely ruined, and I knew the first time I heard a bitcoin FOMO story ("He'd have X now, if he hadn't spent!") in like 2012 I knew bitcoin would never be a viable currency.

Oct 30, 2017
So.. we're using up a load of fossil fuels and shooting tons of CO2 in the atmosphere to.. what? Normal payment processors can process millions of transactions for the cost of one bitcoin transaction, and if you want a "store of value" then Gold doesn't just sit there spewing out toxic fumes. It's gambling for tech bros, nothing more, nothing less. Nothing of value is being created here and the quicker it goes down to $0 the better.
Well, I think this statement depends on the energy grid / mix of the area where the miners are located.

Oct 26, 2017

B5-lDJWCUAAwfya.jpg

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Of course mining BTC at an unregulated rate means unregulated energy consumption. This is easily regulated by law like other industries.

However, the amount of energy the financial and banking sector in general consumes is much higher than BTC, when you consider all the stock exchanges and banks, and all the trading computers, the data centres for banking, etc. And that's just in terms of operational/transactional/archival use. Not to even mention the energy used for physical branches or ATMs. Banks (released in their annual reports includes energy consumption), roughly uses 10-20 kWh per customer. Consider the amount of banks in the world and that almost everyone has a bank account. Consider the fact that BTC eliminates almost all of a bank's roles and it's idea is to replace banks and payment providers, it's fundamentally a greener alternative. Modern banking system is using upwards of 150 TWh a year.

you can't criticise BTC energy use in a vacuum and simply forget about the massive energy use of the modern banking system which is fucking terrible in its immense energy use it uses just to inevitably always fuck over peoples money any way.
If Bitcoin is going to replace banking, it is also going to need all of that on top of the current energy usage.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Bitcoin will be replaced by something else. It is known.
What will trigger that though? Crypto is mostly used for speculation and crime, speculators like the way its exchange rate moves. Like any fiat currency it won't be replaced until people lose trust in its monetary value and prefer something else. Since mining costs are externalities that users don't see they're not enough to make people stop using Bitcoin.

I mean, look at Elon Musk, putting billions specifically into Bitcoin when he had the chance to promote a better system instead.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It creates a secure ledger for the currency.

Unless I got something very wrong, that's not where the works goes, though. The work itself is indeed "useless"; it's just a verification against a single party creating a fake ledger through distributed means vs everyone else in the world.

I don't have any background in cryptocurrencies so I have no clue if it would be feasible for one of them to actually distribute useful work to miners, e.g. protein folding. I'm guessing not or someone would have already done so.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
So it's not actually serving any purpose other than itself?

And does that much computational power and energy use need to be done to create a secure ledger? Like, does every crypto do the same thing and burn oil fields for this sole purpose?

Depends on the crypto currency? XRP is premined is its much more environmentally friendly

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
boy. I looked up how much the USA military uses in energy.
...speaking of banning things...

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
NiceHash says my profit would be over $12 a day, though

but your electric bill is going to counter that. If you figure out how to get free electricity....

just ship me the card.

edit:

For those that know, does mining take up 100% of GPU so its maxed out/max heat the entire time its mining?

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is more a failure to move to clean and renewable energy as opposed to anything else, honestly. I am biased as I own some BTC, but not enough to consider myself a major stakeholder in it.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone know how much cash/credit makes up for?

I think it's a fair comparison to make to understand how useless it is.

Dec 30, 2020
Cheerful Mathematician: "I'd like to publish my formal proof of P = NP."

*Bitcoin market immediately collapses.*

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
NiceHash says my profit would be over $12 a day, though
Never used that site before but just checking their calculation for energy costs comes nowhere near close to my PC (which includes a 3080).

You know your PC consumption and energy cost you can calculate it yourself. The number they used would be reached after 5 1/2 hours for me

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I think bitcoin mining will eventually drive renewable energy innovation. The whole idea is to find the cheapest form of energy should naturally drive towards that. At least I'd hope.