• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Soooo....buy, sell, or sit?

I have some bitcoin, not a lot, but I've never paid much attention to it. Does this increase what I have or hurt it?

I'm clueless, lol.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Bitcoin is pure late stage capitalism where real work and money are placed in literal nothing /and it creates value/. It's amazing(ly fucked up).

OP
OP

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on my limited knowledge of Bitcoin, it seems now would be a good time to buy and hold onto it for at least until the end of 2020... would you agree?

I don't know what's happening today, tomorrow or the post-halving. In the past, holding bitcoin for long periods of time has been incredibly profitable, more so in post-halvings periods. What happens next? I don't know. Past performance Is no guarantee of future results.

Personally, I have a certain risk threshold that I am ready to accept and invest based on it. That's the mindset anyone should have, if they think of investing in (any) asset(s).

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone asking what will happen...

Look at Litecoin halving price action leading up to and after August 5th 2019.

litecoin has been leading the market for a long time.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, drug lords have to move their money somehow too!

I would legitimately love an explanation of how people who still have faith in Bitcoin think it is going to take off when it's been around for a decade plus and a ton of the big companies that used to accept it no longer do.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Based on my limited knowledge of Bitcoin, it seems now would be a good time to buy and hold onto it for at least until the end of 2020... would you agree?
It's not surprising that bitcoin started increasing when the stock market crashed. Money from stocks got switched to bitcoin. It's going to be similar to gold and other precious metals. Bitcoin will be a speculative investment considered an alternative to stocks.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
It's not surprising that bitcoin started increasing when the stock market crashed. Money from stocks got switched to bitcoin. It's going to be similar to gold and other precious metals. Bitcoin will be a speculative investment considered an alternative to stocks.
Bitcoin crashed when the market did and has been increasing since (as the market has) but also due to the halvening. It's supposed safe haven status didn''t bea out this year, the new safe havens are stocks like AAPL

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
you know whats a merkle tree? That's the bitcoin network. And each block of the tree (in this case, a chain) is mined by a group of people who compete with each other to mine it. How? Through a consensus protocol, proof of work. They grab a bunch of transactions on the network (fixed), they grab the hash of the previous block (fixed) and a nonce (variable) and they will put that data through a cryptographic hash function until it finds an hash with a bunch of zeros (let's say 40) in the start. The first one to find it, gets to mine the block and gets a reward....bitcoin!

But like.....why

Does this mining contribute to a real world benefit or is this a glorified video game?

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I read that story all I can think is "you poor poor bastard".

In a world where he sold at the ath, would've been around $200 million. Even selling at the price right now would be $80 million.

Whew.
You could have that much if you had bought those bitcoins at the time for $42. You literally screwed up just as badly as he did.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I would legitimately love an explanation of how people who still have faith in Bitcoin think it is going to take off when it's been around for a decade plus and a ton of the big companies that used to accept it no longer do.
I guess this depends on your definition of taking off. As an instrument for unregulated speculative investing or black market assets transfer? It's hard to argue that it hasn't taken off.

Now, as a normal currency that can be used to purchase good and services at normal places? Yeah...

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this depends on your definition of taking off. As an instrument for unregulated speculative investing or black market assets transfer? It's hard to argue that it hasn't taken off.

Now, as a normal currency that can be used to purchase good and services at normal places? Yeah...

I've seen the argument that it'd be used for real estate or cars, but I can't see anyone doing that with something so inconvenient to use and so inconsistent in price.

I'm sure JP Morgan or some other big bank will try to do what Facebook did with Libra and will be way more successful.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I was trying to buy an obscure HDMI adapter the other day and came across "null " hdmi terminators- I couldn't imagine why a person wouldn't just leave an hdmi port empty or stick a plastic cap on it but then I realized it's a way to get incrementally better performance from racks of working video cards by eliminating basic hdmi activity on the card for that port.
Does putting those things on an HDMI actually speed up the card computation? I was under the impression that those HDMI terminators are only used for eGPUs, when you want to trick the eGPU into reverting the image back into laptop's internal monitor. That's why I bought one anyway, but ended up not needing it.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I read that story all I can think is "you poor poor bastard".

In a world where he sold at the ath, would've been around $200 million. Even selling at the price right now would be $80 million.

Whew.

At least the dude has gotten over it and accepted the reality that barely anyone would have predicted what would happen with it.

I'm almost scared to know what I would have done back then. Knowing myself though I would have tapped out with the amount of student loans I started out with.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Imo I'd say maybe buy 1 and then leave it and forget you bought it because it's going to be a really jumpy time for this stuff right now.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
I'm going to hazard a guess here........The people that really, REALLY route for bitcoin are hoping to have it replace the "real" economy....And those people don't have our best interests at heart?

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
man back in march i realized btc was very cheap and i hesitated on buying, and now im seeing it is almost double the value,

could have invested a little bit ;/

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does putting those things on an HDMI actually speed up the card computation? I was under the impression that those HDMI terminators are only used for eGPUs, when you want to trick the eGPU into reverting the image back into laptop's internal monitor. That's why I bought one anyway, but ended up not needing it.

No clue if it actually works, but that does seem to be why people are buying them. Or at least some related element.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I'm going to hazard a guess here........The people that really, REALLY route for bitcoin are hoping to have it replace the "real" economy....And those people don't have our best interests at heart?
Maybe in the early years, but I don't think that's a common belief now. It didn't happen, it's not going to happen, but it's now here to stay as a speculative investment. Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency will continue to exist as investment options only and any high hopes of it becoming an economy standard is highly unlikely.

I think there is a much higher chance that the world goes back to the gold standard.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
At least the dude has gotten over it and accepted the reality that barely anyone would have predicted what would happen with it.

I'm almost scared to know what I would have done back then. Knowing myself though I would have tapped out with the amount of student loans I started out with.

Most people would have sold out early on I imagine, even holding out until $100 those 10k coins would have tempted most people to cash out at that point. The amount of lost coins just from people upgrading computers and throwing away old hard drives must be insane as well.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Only for speculation. I know people back when it was first created would buy a sandwich or something for like 10k bitcoins, but Bitcoin was worthless back then. Now I think people just treat it as a speculative investment.
Why would anyone want to spend a bitcoin when it's price fluctuates so wildly. Might as well keep it and sell it when it gets to an absurd price

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure the FED printing trillions like it's nothing, bailing out big corporations while homeless are starving, that's great and not dumb. And it worked great in Venezuela, Argentina or Zimbabwe, go check how they're doing.
The ability to regulate the amount of money in the economy is much better than being tied to a commodity whose amount in the market is semi fixed (or cannot be directly influenced). There is a reason all economies dropped the gold standard and moved to fiat currencies.

I've seen the argument that it'd be used for real estate or cars, but I can't see anyone doing that with something so inconvenient to use and so inconsistent in price.

I'm sure JP Morgan or some other big bank will try to do what Facebook did with Libra and will be way more successful.
The main problem of bitcoing is that no central bank or state (aka the ones that actually have power) will let it happen unless controlled by the state. The control of a currency is much more powerful than many of you realize. Libra ended when the US government just made a bad face and showed the stick. It would happen for anyone else.

Edit: basically, I believe there will be bitcoin like currencies (in the term of trazability) but they will be more like fiat currency controlled by the governments. Basically just take part of the tech and use it to prop up the banking structure instead of trying to create new currencies.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The main problem of bitcoing is that no central bank or state (aka the ones that actually have power) will let it happen unless controlled by the state. The control of a currency is much more powerful than many of you realize. Libra ended when the US government just made a bad face and showed the stick. It would happen for anyone else.

The US and EU rejected Libra due to Facebook's reputation for skirting regulations. A large bank or less hated company would probably be more successful. A crypto currency primarily used for remittances would probably be extremely popular, as there are literally billions of people who have to send money back to their families and it's a huge hassle.

A crypto currency like Bitcoin trying to be the dollar or gold is doomed to failure for the very reason you outlined, but a stablecoin has potential should whoever controls it is able to prove themselves.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The US and EU rejected Libra due to Facebook's reputation for skirting regulations. A large bank or less hated company would probably be more successful. A crypto currency primarily used for remittances would probably be extremely popular, as there are literally billions of people who have to send money back to their families and it's a huge hassle.

A crypto currency like Bitcoin trying to be the dollar or gold is doomed to failure for the very reason you outlined, but a stablecoin has potential should whoever controls it is able to prove themselves.
The US and EU didnt just reject Libra due to Facebook reputation. As I said, one of the core things was giving up currency control which is a very powerful tool to outsiders for no apparent gain. Less hated companies will also find really tough positions because of that.

As I said, my main bet is on governments creating their own "cryptocurrency" (basically just using some bitcoin technology and tying it to their currency). Currency control is just too much of a tool for governments to let it go.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The US and EU didnt just reject Libra due to Facebook reputation. As I said, one of the core things was giving up currency control which is a very powerful tool to outsiders for no apparent gain. Less hated companies will also find really tough positions because of that.

As I said, my main bet is on governments creating their own "cryptocurrency" (basically just using some bitcoin technology and tying it to their currency). Currency control is just too much of a tool for governments to let it go.

I'm not saying it would be the default, just a way to send money that is ultimately backed by real cash. Sure some places would use it but for most it'd be just an occasionally used option and not a replacement.

There are literally billions of people that don't have a bank account, and a stablecoin could provide a bridge that gives them access to personal finance.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it would be the default, just a way to send money that is ultimately backed by real cash. Sure some places would use it but for most it'd be just an occasionally used option and not a replacement.

There are literally billions of people that don't have a bank account, and a stablecoin could provide a bridge that gives them access to personal finance.
I am not saying a bitcoing wouldnt exist, but that it would be state backed instead of corporation backed. I agree that a stablecoin (which is but a pipedream in the current speculation / very bloated bitcoin markets) would be great for a ton of people in lower wealth spectrum.

Feb 11, 2018
Does your local currency requires any work of some sort to be created besides pushing the printer button?

Gold requires huge machines to dig up the ground. Bitcoin requires huge machines do find hashes. Same thing, different era. Also Bitcoin is the only asset on Earth and in History that has a supply that can't be controlled by Humans. Supply is predictable and won't ever change.

This is an often repeated falsehood about the bitcoin protocol. It absolutely can be changed if the network decides to change it.

Oct 27, 2017
The ability to regulate the amount of money in the economy is much better than being tied to a commodity whose amount in the market is semi fixed (or cannot be directly influenced). There is a reason all economies dropped the gold standard and moved to fiat currencies.

wtfhappenedin1971.com

WTF Happened In 1971?

"I don't believe we shall ever have a good money again before we take the thing out of the hands of government, that is, we can't take it violently out of the hands of government, all we can do is by some sly roundabout way introduce something that they can't stop." - F.A. Hayek 1984

Nixon removed the gold standard, was supposed to be temporary. Not all economies dropped it, all of them were indexed on the US dollar who was itself backed by gold. So of course the other had to follow.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
wtfhappenedin1971.com

WTF Happened In 1971?

"I don't believe we shall ever have a good money again before we take the thing out of the hands of government, that is, we can't take it violently out of the hands of government, all we can do is by some sly roundabout way introduce something that they can't stop." - F.A. Hayek 1984

Nixon removed the gold standard, was supposed to be temporary. Not all economies dropped it, all of them were indexed on the US dollar who was itself backed by gold. So of course the other had to follow.
There is a reason why the gold standard was dropped by the US (and why the gold standar by itself was in a dead row since WW1) and why it is never coming back. It was not elastic enough and having your economy fixed to something that was as fixed as gold is just non tennable when you quickly need to play with your currency.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of what? Like the bitcoin network itself, so it's like a self sustaining system?

Of the bitcoin network and its data, yes. It isn't self-sustaining per se. Mining has a cost (mostly energy cost), and miners need an incentive to keep doing their work and their reward for it is bitcoin.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So how does that affect the mining economy then?
From what I understand, miners use as much electricity as possible while staying profitable (and usually try to go to the cheapest energy market). Halving the profitability would halve the level of computing power one could profitably dedicate to mining. Now I know there's the transaction fee, that the very low transaction throughput and high energy costs per transaction means that anyone making a Bitcoin transaction has to attach a bribe to the miners to get their transaction processed with enough priority that it'll happen any time soon. Do the transaction fees go up to compensate for the reduced systemic payout? Do miners just quit the business or shut down a significant amount of computing power because the payouts decrease? Do they speculate on enough deflation that the real money value of their mining work remains stable and pays for the same amount of processing power? If miners reduce their capacity, does that increase the risk of a 51% attack?

As far as personal opinion, I'm strongly opposed to the current Bitcoin model since it devours so much electricity. Due to a tragedy of the commons effect you cannot get all miners to, say, reduce their capacity by 90% all at the same time to reduce the power drain either.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Bitcoin is really interesting, as it's a humungous libertarian scam entirely driven by social media manipulation. Without the giant social media power of places like Facebook and Twitter, Bitcoin would never have gotten the heat needed to get suckers to buy in.

You can see the effects via someone posting a chart earlier in this thread. "It's free money, guys, hop on!"

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Bitcoin is really interesting, as it's a humungous libertarian scam entirely driven by social media manipulation. Without the giant social media power of places like Facebook and Twitter, Bitcoin would never have gotten the heat needed to get suckers to buy in.

You can see the effects via someone posting a chart earlier in this thread. "It's free money, guys, hop on!"
Get rich quick with this one trick big banks doesn't want you to know!

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
My friends used to turn over 1000s of bitcoins back in the days buying drugs online.

little did we know lol.

man back in march i realized btc was very cheap and i hesitated on buying, and now im seeing it is almost double the value,

Buy it now if you think you should have bought it then. If what investors and crypto "professionals" claim is true, this is still at a really low price.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017

For all the times that that happened, there are others where you would ended losing.Thinking that way is not better than going "If I only had bet on the Nationals at the beginning of the Season!" It is technically true, but you took on all such opportunities, mathematically you would end losing.

Last edited: