• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever happens, history about to occur again. Less than 9 blocks for the halving.

What is a block halving event?
As part of Bitcoin's coin issuance, miners are rewarded a certain amount of bitcoins whenever a block is produced (approximately every 10 minutes). When Bitcoin first started, 50 Bitcoins per block were given as a reward to miners. After every 210,000 blocks are mined (approximately every 4 years), the block reward halves and will keep on halving until the block reward per block becomes 0 (approximately by year 2140). As of now, the block reward is 12.5 coins per block and will decrease to 6.25 coins per block post halving.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
ln120y3660y41.png

Apr 25, 2020
Speaking from a position of absolute ignorance on this subject, will this have an effect on the markets markets? as in Wall Street?

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
So mining will become even more difficult so less coins will be mined.
Which will reduce supply and inflate the price?

OP
OP

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Bitcoin (meaning its long term value I suppose) care if the numbers of coins mined drops?

The miners certainly do.

Speaking from a position of absolute ignorance on this subject, will this have an effect on the markets markets? as in Wall Street?

Probably not. While there are big custodian services investing in bitcoin, it's probably not enough to have a big effect (long term, not thinking about today).

So mining will become even more difficult so less coins will be mined.
Which will reduce supply and inflate the price?

Long term supply is fixed. Short term, yes, the miners will get less. If it will inflate, better to wait and see. Historically it happened.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like no matter how much I read about Bitcoin and try to understand it, I just don't get it. Nothing makes me feel stupider than trying to wrap my mind around bit coin.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Ah yes - this looks very heatlhy.

The value of mined currency to me is so abstracted from real value generation/"work" that it just seems arbitrary like a way for people to make money without actually doing anything.
I feel like no matter how much I read about Bitcoin and try to understand it, I just don't get it. Nothing makes me feel stupider than trying to wrap my mind around bit coin.

Oh it makes a lot of sense in how it functions as a market commodity of sorts, but it does not make it make sense from the perspective of traditional "work" - or even traditional investment really.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to buy an obscure HDMI adapter the other day and came across "null " hdmi terminators- I couldn't imagine why a person wouldn't just leave an hdmi port empty or stick a plastic cap on it but then I realized it's a way to get incrementally better performance from racks of working video cards by eliminating basic hdmi activity on the card for that port.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do people actually use Bitcoin as a currency?

yes. It's not easy and not a lot of folks accept it but absolutely. It's not very flexible as a currency though. And most of its current utility is as an investment product versus a liquid currency. If it sticks around then eventually it'll be easier and more ubiquitous in commerce and retail.

Mar 3, 2018
Do people actually use Bitcoin as a currency?

I saw a mini documentary on VICE the other day about these scammers who have millions of dollars stashed away as bitcoins, and they were talking about how when they get released from prison in a few years they will live like kings and nobody can do anything. It was some fucked up and crazy shit.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
The value of mined currency to me is so abstracted from real value generation/"work" that it just seems arbitrary like a way for people to make money without actually doing anything.

Does your local currency requires any work of some sort to be created besides pushing the printer button?

Gold requires huge machines to dig up the ground. Bitcoin requires huge machines do find hashes. Same thing, different era. Also Bitcoin is the only asset on Earth and in History that has a supply that can't be controlled by Humans. Supply is predictable and won't ever change.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i must say, i have nothing to add besides wanting to chime in that the scaling on this graph is just utterly amazing. Its pretty close to the meme PS3/Xbox graph

You doubt bitcoin will reach over 100k in 2021? I mean, look at the chart, it can't not happen. #HODLGANG #HODLGANG #HODLGANG. /s

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
People used to buy it because they thought it would change the world, now it's either speculation, or some use it as a store of value like gold or silver. There is a finite amount of it.

But like all things even though there is no intrinsic value, it's the people that give value to it.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
Does your local currency requires any work of some sort to be created besides pushing the printer button?

Gold requires huge machines to dig up the ground. Bitcoin requires huge machines do find hashes. Same thing, different era. Also Bitcoin is the only asset on Earth and in History that has a supply that can't be controlled by Humans. Supply is predictable and won't ever change.

Which is a horrible thing to base your currency on, not being able to control the money flow is dumb as hell.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first halving happening since BTC is really mainstream.
Expecting a drop, personally. I had a few funds in btc and cashed them out, but they were like 500€ so i'm not going to be mad either way.

i must say, i have nothing to add besides wanting to chime in that the scaling on this graph is just utterly amazing. Its pretty close to the meme PS3/Xbox graph
it's bog standard log scale?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
People used to buy it because they thought it would change the world, now it's either speculation, or some use it as a store of value like gold or silver. There is a finite amount of it.

But like all things even though there is no intrinsic value, it's the people that give value to it.
I understand all that. I mean specifically the process of mining, the leger, block chains, etc. It all sounds like some stupid ass assassin's creed bullshit or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Bitcoin is a long term grift. It's a currency focused on a libertarian philosophy that it's incorruptible without government interference, but we all know how that turned out (Dread Pirate Roberts).

Oct 27, 2017
Which is a horrible thing to base your currency on, not being able to control the money flow is dumb as hell.

Yeah sure the FED printing trillions like it's nothing, bailing out big corporations while homeless are starving, that's great and not dumb. And it worked great in Venezuela, Argentina or Zimbabwe, go check how they're doing.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that even if Bitcoin is kinda goofy and unstable as an actual currency, the technology underpinning it is cool and valuable.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

you know whats a merkle tree? That's the bitcoin network. And each block of the tree (in this case, a chain) is mined by a group of people who compete with each other to mine it. How? Through a consensus protocol, proof of work. They grab a bunch of transactions on the network (fixed), they grab the hash of the previous block (fixed) and a nonce (variable) and they will put that data through a cryptographic hash function until it finds an hash with a bunch of zeros (let's say 40) in the start. The first one to find it, gets to mine the block and gets a reward....bitcoin!

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sure the FED printing trillions like it's nothing, bailing out big corporations while homeless are starving, that's great and not dumb. And it worked great in Venezuela, Argentina or Zimbabwe, go check how they're doing.

Having a useful tool doesn't mean it can't be abused, running out of money isn't a useful tool.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
you know whats a merkle tree? That's the bitcoin network. And each block of the tree (in this case, a chain) is mined by a group of people who compete with each other to mine it. How? Through a consensus protocol, proof of work. They grab a bunch of transactions on the network (fixed), they grab the hash of the previous block (fixed) and a nonce (variable) and they will put that data through a cryptographic hash function until it finds an hash with a bunch of zeros (let's say 40) in the start. The first one to find it, gets to mine the block and gets a reward....bitcoin!
Ah now I get it. So easy a baby could understand.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol. Read about merkle trees for real. Think of bitcoin as the reward for people who guarantee the safety, auditing and monitoring of the network. I think that's an easy concept.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first halving happening since BTC is really mainstream.
Expecting a drop, personally. I had a few funds in btc and cashed them out, but they were like 500€ so i'm not going to be mad either way.

it's bog standard log scale?
is it? I was trying to see if there was consistency in it and i couldn't find it. I didn't measure the gaps everywhere, but the random x3 jumps in their numbers when the others were roughly 2.5ish made it stand out

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Bitcoin going up depends on one thing: If big holders will move their hoard around to create the appearance of a bull market so they can inflate its value and sell before the pop like they did the last time.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
yes. It's not easy and not a lot of folks accept it but absolutely. It's not very flexible as a currency though. And most of its current utility is as an investment product versus a liquid currency. If it sticks around then eventually it'll be easier and more ubiquitous in commerce and retail.
When bitcoin crashed a lot of businesses that accepted bitcoin stopped doing it. It's just too volatile to use as a workable currency in retail and it took a major step back in 2018. Perhaps eventually it will be more accepted as currency but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Bitcoin works as an investment option and that's all it should be considered as. Don't hold your breath waiting for it to be more widely accepted as currency.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Only for speculation. I know people back when it was first created would buy a sandwich or something for like 10k bitcoins, but Bitcoin was worthless back then. Now I think people just treat it as a speculative investment.
Hey, drug lords have to move their money somehow too!

Yoda

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol. Read about merkle trees for real. Think of bitcoin as the reward for people who guarantee the safety, auditing and monitoring of the network. I think that's an easy concept.
Based on my limited knowledge of Bitcoin, it seems now would be a good time to buy and hold onto it for at least until the end of 2020... would you agree?

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I understand all that. I mean specifically the process of mining, the leger, block chains, etc. It all sounds like some stupid ass assassin's creed bullshit or something.
Lmao! Yeah that, basically computers are running 24h solving difficult mathematical shit and the reward are fresh bitcoin.

Assassins Creed lol, you got a point man