• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Glad to see the movie turned out well. Was on the fence about this one for along time, but I'm probably going to go see it now.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'd hold off on that. Shazam didn't do so hot even though it was pretty well received, and a lot of these movies are pretty much disconnected from each other.
Shazam did very well all things considered. A totally unbankable lead and a superhero character that no normal people have ever heard of -- $140m is honestly probably more than they expected. Black Adam will set the sequel up for even more success.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
You literally just proved my point. All the reviews you are citing explicitly call out the violence, the R rating, comparisons to Deadpool and Kill Bill, explicit language. Nice try.
You do realise that you're being the weird one in this exchange between you and Yams, yeah?

Like, what point are you trying to make that it seems like Yams is refuting?

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good. Another win for DC although I'm sure in 6-months we will still have lots of posts saying that all DC movies are garbage.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about something for awhile and thought about making it a thread, but I'm too shy (never made one), so I'll ask here: Does anyone think Marvel movies are going to become less popular this decade? DC has been hitting it out of the park, and I feel like the general public may start to prefer this approach to comic book movies.

Marvel should start making R-Rated films.
Doubt it. They just got control back of all the Fox licensed characters. MCU X-Men is gonna be huge and is gonna keep their gravy train rolling for another decade.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
I'm 0-2 in thinking that early year releases meant the studios thought they had shit on their hands. First was Bad Boys, and now this one turned out great too. Cool!

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
Excited to see this on Friday, though I have basically no knowledge of the Birds of Prey outside of Harley.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
who wants to baby sit for me Friday night so i can go watch this opening night
I've been thinking about something for awhile and thought about making it a thread, but I'm too shy (never made one), so I'll ask here: Does anyone think Marvel movies are going to become less popular this decade? DC has been hitting it out of the park, and I feel like the general public may start to prefer this approach to comic book movies.

I think there is plenty appetite for all flavors of the genre. Marvel is also likely to be bigger than ever with Shang Chi, Young Avengers, A Force and X-Men. Should hit a lot of new demos

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm 0-2 in thinking that early year releases meant the studios thought they had shit on their hands. First was Bad Boys, and now this one turned out great too. Cool!
Yeah, that is a mostly dated concept at this point. By and large, studios set these release dates 2+ years in advance if it's a film they're actually producing themselves so they target specific times when they think there won't be much competition now generally. If it's an independent film that they acquired at a festival, it'll usually have a shorter window to release from announcement.

Birds of Prey's release date was set in Sept 2018 after an April 2018 announcement. Bad Boys' release date was set in May of 2018.

Jul 4, 2018
Really hope the good reviews are coupled by good of mouth because it's box office prospects are looking pretty dire judging by how much it made opening day in Korea and France.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, let Marvel do their thing. They're good at it. The genre is more than big enough for DC and Marvel to do their own approaches

But Blade better be R

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, this made me want to see Birds of Prey more than any marketing or RT number. Maybe the guy gave BoP such a bad review due to it being directed by a Chinese director.

edit: just checked his RT review of Parasite and he gave it 4/4 why the fuck doesn't he want it to win best picture.
Going off the Roma quote, guessing he doesn't think a film should be in both the best film and best foreign film categories.

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see this reviewing well, especially as a female centric comic book film.

Also have nothing but love for DC and them making steps in the right direction only makes me happy.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Seems like this dude just wants to be a white Armond White. eyeroll emoji

I wouldn't make that comparison so flippantly. Armond White is a legit troll that disagrees with the consensus almost all the time for the sake of clicks, whether it's fresh or rotten. This reviewer is not even on the same level. I'm looking over his history on Rotten Tomatoes as I speak, and there are only a small number of instances where he praises a critically panned film, and he agrees with the consensus quite often. He is absolutely a snob with a massive ego, and his taste in cinema is very peculiar. But I find it believable that he does legitimately hate all the films he says he hates.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
we really doing that thing where we go off on the critic who gave a bad review

let the dude have his weird opinions and just accept a somewhat lower aggregate score, damn

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The dude literally says the movie "shouldn't exist". So what the fuck?

Get over yourselves people. All signs point to the movie being great.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
Really excited to see this, I have been loving the aesthetic. It's so good that DC is an actual player when it comes to cape films. They are actually trying something different compared to the standard marvel fare. It's wild that this is the first Woman led superhero film that is placed in the present day since.... Electra?