• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I wonder what changed at DC to have this kind of turnaround? I suppose getting rid of the shared universe?
They didn't get rid of a shared universe. The movies still connect. They let the film makers actually make the movie they wanted to and stopped messing with their final edits. Also, Zack isn't in charge anymore.

May 5, 2018
Man Harley is on a hot streak. First her new animation series gets rave reviews and now her upcoming movie is getting great reception too.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I'd hold off on that. Shazam didn't do so hot even though it was pretty well received, and a lot of these movies are pretty much disconnected from each other.
Shazam actually reference MOS, BvS and Aquaman. The only disconnected movie is Joker.

Glad this one is being well received, looking forward to watching it this weekend.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Good to hear. I HATED Suicide Squad, so I think I was rightfully worried about how film aping that sort of style would do. It's awesome to see DC doing so well diversifying their lineup post Justice League.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I never ended up seeing Suicide Squad, any ideas on if it's okay to skip? Or should I just bite the bullet and watch before seeing this.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
The trailers have been pretty terrible but I guess that doesn't mean much when some of the trailers for Suicide Squad were pretty good, lol.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Disappointed to hear that the supporting characters don't have much going on but I guess it is the Harley show so that's ok I guess. I love Winstead so kind sucks that I have heard she doesn't have much to do.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'd hold off on that. Shazam didn't do so hot even though it was pretty well received, and a lot of these movies are pretty much disconnected from each other.
I wonder what changed at DC to have this kind of turnaround? I suppose getting rid of the shared universe?

I mean but they aren't

They aren't as tightly this movie leads to this movie led to that movie as Marvel

But clearly establish that Aquaman, Shazam and BoP take place in the same universe/continuity as MoS, BvS, Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Shazam actually reference MOS, BvS and Aquaman. The only disconnected movie is Joker.

Glad this one is being well received, looking forward to watching it this weekend.
I mean but they aren't

They aren't as tightly this movie leads to this movie led to that movie as Marvel

But clearly establish that Aquaman, Shazam and BoP take place in the same universe/continuity as MoS, BvS, Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman.
I knew it referenced Batman and Superman obviously, but the way those references were handled had me thinking they were mostly different takes on the characters (costume aside). I also sorta thought they were stepping it down even more going forward.

Happy to be wrong, though!

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I knew it referenced Batman and Superman obviously, but the way those references were handled had me thinking they were mostly different takes on the characters (costume aside). I also sorta thought they were stepping it down even more going forward.

I posted this in my impressions, but for over here

We literally get a flashback to Harley's origins from Suicide Squad, carefully cut to avoid showing Leto's Joker, but eh
Then when she meets Cass officially and they go shopping, she gives a brief rundown of her history, which includes a summary of Suicide Sqaud
In the police station, there's a wanted poster for Boomerang, and Harley says "Hey, I know that guy" it's a cute moment
And in one of the clips, it shows when digging through her old stuff, her shirt/outfit from Suicide Squad "oh not that one, sentimental"

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Wonder what movie can break the fresh streak. Possibly Black Adam?

Or has DC become like Marvel where it will continue to get fresh tomatoes.

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
This is why it dropped so much over the last few minutes

VSVihff.jpg
This guy gives this movie a 0/4, how does any movie honestly deserve a 0 out of 4? Did he not find anything to enioy at all... like I understand giving it a 10% or even 30% if you didnt like it but a 0%. Anyways here's a brief bit of his review.
Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn" is more than horrible. It should not exist. Money should never have been raised for it. The screenplay should never have been filmed. Margot Robbie shouldn't have produced it. She certainly shouldn't have starred in it. It's just a terrible thing to inflict on audiences, who, after all, didn't hurt anyone and just hoped to have a nice time.

The movie has style problems, story problems, plotting problems and tonal problems, but if there's a main problem, it's with the central character, Harley Quinn (Robbie). The character makes no sense — but no, even that makes things sound better than they are. There's no character there at all.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Wonder what movie can break the fresh streak. Possibly Black Adam?

Or has DC become like Marvel where it will continue to get fresh tomatoes.
Naw
I think for better and worse, DC will continue with these films being whatever the director wants and we saw with others that doesn't always translate to a good movie

I like the unpredictable nature of their releases though

You never really know what you're getting

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017

That's true, they seem to want to move away from the Snyder movies but still show that they still exist in that universe. I believe going forward those movies will be forgotten entirely with this new phase, especially after Flashpoint if the movie rumours are true.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That's true, they seem to want to move away from the Snyder movies but still show that they still exist in that universe. I believe going forward those movies will be forgotten entirely with this new phase, especially after Flashpoint if the movie rumours are true.
Flashpoint would be a very convenient way to do a "keep what worked ditch what didn't" approach to things, yeah.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Reading a few reviews...

so it's an okay movie with good action scenes and Harley carries most the movie.

I'll catch a matinee with my kid if he wants to go.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never ended up seeing Suicide Squad, any ideas on if it's okay to skip? Or should I just bite the bullet and watch before seeing this.

It's truly awful.

Who knows if there is any callbacks beside Joker which you see in the trailer anyway.

It's honestly so bad but for comparison maybe...but I wouldn't want to ruin this film with it. Looks like it's own thing and there is nothing worth calling back anyway beside that awful Joker being dead, hurrah.

Nov 13, 2017
Reading a few reviews...

so it's an okay movie with good action scenes and Harley carries most the movie.

I'll catch a matinee with my kid if he wants to go.
So you "read" a few reviews, but some how missed that it's Rated R and filled with violence?

You clowns need to do a better job of hating on this movie. This is just lazy at this point.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
So you "read" a few reviews, but some how missed that it's Rated R and filled with violence?

You clowns need to do a better job of hating on this movie. This is just lazy at this point.

As she throws Harley Quinn into various kinds of trouble, convinces her to save the young thief instead of turning her over and has the women team up to fight Roman's ever-expanding gang, Yan finds plenty of opportunities for exciting set pieces: Extravagant action choreography makes the most of colorful set design, unlikely gimmicks and wrasslin'-style brutality. But Hodson's script offers far less diverting banter than it might've between the fight scenes, and has a hard time imagining the unconstrained id that makes Harley Quinn so magnetic. One or two beautiful sequences — like the one in which Harley's longing for a perfect breakfast sandwich leads to tragedy — don't suffice to keep the character's magnetic madness alive onscreen.

Nor does the picture suggest there'd be any reason to watch a Birds of Prey movie that stars only the crimefighters who'll eventually adopt that name. Without Harley Quinn, these are characters who'd be doing well to carry a basic-cable TV series. Cassandra Cain, in the comics, is one of many women who fight crime under the Batgirl moniker. But nothing in Birds of Prey suggests she'd ever merit further attention, far out in this suburb of Gotham with Batman nowhere to be found.

The script, by Christina Hodson ("Bumblebee"), has attitude to spare, but in a rather bare-bones way. It's going for the sparky nihilist defiance of "Deadpool," with a running fourth-wall-breaking commentary by Harley, and there are cheeky character IDs ripping across the screen, as when Harley discovers herself under attack by the driver behind her, identified as "Some Frida Kahlo-looking asshole" (which she indeed is). But if the film's (black) heart is in the right acid place, "Birds of Prey" could have used more of the intricate cleverness of "Deadpool." The actresses who come together to form Harley's posse, like Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Roman's nightclub chanteuse Black Canary or Ella Jay Basco as the wily Cassandra, have presence to spare, but you wish they'd been given more to do.
You should maybe read the reviews instead of jerking off to the RT score

I can post more if you'd like.
Edited: here's another one

Birds of Prey certainly errs on the side of style over substance — if you dig too far into its flashy surface, you may not find much underneath. It's not saying anything deep or groundbreaking about the female experience or the nature of revenge. Birds of Prey is reveling in being as gonzo and stylish as it can be. But when the fights are this thrilling and the humor this absurd, whatever's underneath the surface doesn't matter all that much.

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
mick lasalle sounds like there aren't enough white power movies for him to review

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
As she throws Harley Quinn into various kinds of trouble, convinces her to save the young thief instead of turning her over and has the women team up to fight Roman's ever-expanding gang, Yan finds plenty of opportunities for exciting set pieces: Extravagant action choreography makes the most of colorful set design, unlikely gimmicks and wrasslin'-style brutality. But Hodson's script offers far less diverting banter than it might've between the fight scenes, and has a hard time imagining the unconstrained id that makes Harley Quinn so magnetic. One or two beautiful sequences — like the one in which Harley's longing for a perfect breakfast sandwich leads to tragedy — don't suffice to keep the character's magnetic madness alive onscreen.

Nor does the picture suggest there'd be any reason to watch a Birds of Prey movie that stars only the crimefighters who'll eventually adopt that name. Without Harley Quinn, these are characters who'd be doing well to carry a basic-cable TV series. Cassandra Cain, in the comics, is one of many women who fight crime under the Batgirl moniker. But nothing in Birds of Prey suggests she'd ever merit further attention, far out in this suburb of Gotham with Batman nowhere to be found.

The script, by Christina Hodson ("Bumblebee"), has attitude to spare, but in a rather bare-bones way. It's going for the sparky nihilist defiance of "Deadpool," with a running fourth-wall-breaking commentary by Harley, and there are cheeky character IDs ripping across the screen, as when Harley discovers herself under attack by the driver behind her, identified as "Some Frida Kahlo-looking asshole" (which she indeed is). But if the film's (black) heart is in the right acid place, "Birds of Prey" could have used more of the intricate cleverness of "Deadpool." The actresses who come together to form Harley's posse, like Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Roman's nightclub chanteuse Black Canary or Ella Jay Basco as the wily Cassandra, have presence to spare, but you wish they'd been given more to do.

Birds of Prey certainly errs on the side of style over substance — if you dig too far into its flashy surface, you may not find much underneath. It's not saying anything deep or groundbreaking about the female experience or the nature of revenge. Birds of Prey is reveling in being as gonzo and stylish as it can be. But when the fights are this thrilling and the humor this absurd, whatever's underneath the surface doesn't matter all that much.
I think the poster was commenting on you taking what they assume is a kid to a rated R movie.

Nov 13, 2017

You literally just proved my point. All the reviews you are citing explicitly call out the violence, the R rating, comparisons to Deadpool and Kill Bill, explicit language. Nice try.