• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 25671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like it's not really a Birds of Prey movie, or not the one I was hoping to ever see. Oh well, maybe as more comes out it'll feel more like one?

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
The fact that this is based off of the Jared Leto Joker while another movie about Joaquin Phoenix as Joker is coming out at the same time is going to get pretty confusing.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I'm saying it now, this is just a backdoor pilot for a true Birds of Prey movie in the future. I know people will say, "Well what about Guardians?" And the reply is that DC still has to build up good will and it's a safer choice to attach Harley to this to get people exposed to other characters. Birds of Prey 2 probably won't even have Harley in it and will have Batgirl instead after she's been established in Reeve's Batman movies and/or has her solo movie first.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping it would wow me more. But, yeah, just looks like more Suicide Squad. I mean, it will absolutely be better than SS. But, there is a large gulf between better than SS and good.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Post on the last page reminded me

Katana has the GOAT comic book movie costume and you cannot change my mind.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually kind of happy with this.

Reminding myself that it's a teaser, and hoping that they're hiding McGregor's mask until the last minute like Two-Face in Dark Knight.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why are they even calling this a Birds of Prey movie if all of the focus is on Harley?

Again, if the leaks are to be believed:

It's her in name only. She's the "street kid with attitude" working for Black Mask who steals something (dick pics hidden in a diamond) from him and becomes a target Harley Quinn decides to protect/mentor in her post- Mistah J breakup epiphany. Zero resemblance to the actual character who bears that name.
That is legit awful

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Undermining Cassandra's strengths as a character by making her generic comic relief child just so they can push boring ass Barbara for the eventual Batgirl movie.

FUCK DC
Undermining her strengths as a character? Really? Child of a super assassin, raised in terrible circumstances and developed to be a weapon....oh wait this one is special because she is mute right?
Cassie is great but her story is all over the place

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
DC doing Sony a solid and warming us up for the Spiderman Cinematic Universe
I honestly didn't dislike Jared Leto's Joker. I think, like everything else in Suicide Squad, it was just disjointed and badly used. I think the original cut meant for him to be the villain, which probably would have been a much stronger movie. I hope they'll get another chance in the second movie, but I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Eh.

Eeeeehhhhhhhhhhh.

Looks cheap and half-arsed. Kinda wondering why they bothered with the "birds of prey" part.

Awkward Extras and the fantabulous emancipation of one Harley Quinn.

Last edited:

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I don't mind the "less costume-y", more "grounded" superhero look, but a visual queue that tells me who the fuck these people are would help. I can see where McGregor wouldn't want a helmet obscuring his money maker, but if you just wanted him to be the Joker, just call him Joker. No one is going to be bothered by recasting away from the other creep.

Oct 25, 2017
Post on the last page reminded me

Katana has the GOAT comic book movie costume and you cannot change my mind.
Her movie mask is excellent, especially compared to Arrow's
latest

latest

But the "suit" is awful, i'd much rather have it more like
4691520-tumblr_nmpxzm9y1c1tjn6d2o1_540.png

4691503-tumblr_nj2nmfq4co1sk70m3o1_1280.jpg

2873931-k5.jpg

5154158-tumblr_o4kkyjqnq61u496xso1_1280.jpg

At least in what was supposed to be a universe where the heroes look like

I could buy that Katana costume in Nolan's or something.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
latest

latest

2873931-k5.jpg

I actually think the mask in Suicide Squad is pretty much the best you could do real life and be faithful. Suicide Squad had a ton of problems, a metric shit ton of problems, costuming by and large wasn't one of them.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Undermining her strengths as a character? Really? Child of a super assassin, raised in terrible circumstances and developed to be a weapon....oh wait this one is special because she is mute right?
Cassie is great but her story is all over the place

She's one of the top super-heroes in the DCU, with a unique personality.
To lose that would be disappointing.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Looks okay, I dunno. Maybe it's a reverse Suicide Squad where the trailers are bad, and the film is good.

When the cast was announced it was very obvious that Harley was going to be the lead, dunno why people are surprised there. It wasn't going to be a C lister team with an A lister cameo.

The Last Laugh

Banned
Dec 31, 2018
I think people are forgetting that this was just the Harley Quinn movie as far as planning until they came up with the wonky name and added more people. This was always going to be a Harley- centric piece

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I didn't realize Suicide Squad 2 had its debut trailer drop so soon.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't say that did anything for me. I admit Harley's always been a character I'm very mixed on though. Also feel like fans of the oter characters may not like how much focus she's getting.

Is Ivy in this?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Man. Despite being second-billed, Mary Elizabeth Winstead got absolutely no lines in that trailer.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This doesn't look good.

You can't suddenly go from Suicide Squad's Harley Quinn, an insane villain who unironically and uncritically lives to serve and be with The Joker after being tortured by the guy to now framing this as some kind of female empowerment fantasy where "women don't need a man." Well I'm sorry, but you're part of the problem. It's cynical and gross, not to mention the trailer still hinges on The Joker.

Beyond that, framing a film called "Birds of Prey" around a single character for 98% of the trailer is a bizarre decision and doesn't bode well.

Oct 25, 2017
Trailer looked good, but I've liked most first trailers for prior DCU films - if there's one thing they're consistent with, it's that. Hopefully the movie turns out good.

Did it though? At least when comparing their trailers, they have the same tone:

That trailer just makes angry now
Literally one of the best trailers ever for such a PoS movie.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
I squinted for a few seconds there and actually saw the Birds of Prey in that Birds of Prey movie trailer, pretty cool.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh... It's really Margot Robbie's vanity project, isn't it?

As a comic book fan:
Reading about Birds of Prey, it's really sad Oracle is not in this, and that basically, they turned this into Joker's ex-girlfriend's story.
And on top of that, Harley is more like a caricature version of Robbie, or something like that...
Dunno, all of this might be enjoyable, but why "Birds of Prey", why "Harley Quinn"... This makes FoX-Men's films look like a 1:1 adaptation...
Why adapt the characters if they wanted to do whatever with them? They are not even popular characters anyway... Why not create new ones?
I bet Cassandra Cain's fans are gonna be angry.
And honestly, kinda awful they turned one of the few Asian superheroes and probably turned them into a sidekick/comic relief...
I want to say it: Yikes. I'm glad I'm not a Birds of Prey/Harley Quinn fan...

As a casual-casual movie-goer:
The tone seems to be all over the place. It doesn't make sense with the Harley Quinn we saw in Suicide Squad.
Looks like something to check out on Netflix. It reminds me of a Paul Feig film, which I often like, but here it could go either way as the above Suicide Squad example shows.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Could be good.

I thought Robbie's Harley had an accent that was a bit over-the-top distracting in Suicide Squad, so I thought she was fine, but not really a depiction I'd want to see as the center of a bunch of spin-off films.

Feels visually like it's still dipping into the Suicide Squad well a little too much as well. Also, I think I need a better pitch on the premise but I'm not necessarily getting the feeling that it's going to be bad or that I don't want to see it. Seems a little Charlie's Angels.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
There's not a single thing about this trailer that excites me. Eugh.

You gotta love them having the gall to name-drop all of those great actresses at the end while only Margot Robbie is on-screen, after giving each of the ladies like 3 frames of screen time throughout the whole thing. Awful.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is one of those movies where the trailer is really bad which means the movie is really good. right?

My only real exposure to Harley is obviously Suicide Squad and also the Batman video games, Harley was fantastic in those games and Margot Robbie should be perfect for the part, I just don't understand why the trailer is so ... boring.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
latest

latest

2873931-k5.jpg

At least in what was supposed to be a universe where the heroes look like

I could buy that Katana costume in Nolan's or something.

I mean it's all about resources right? Don't think Katana is super rich, geeky, or a 100 year old Amazon.