• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohhhhh I interested. Robbie was one of the few very few saving graces of suicide squad

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
That looks really really fucking awful. What a waste of Robbie and MacGregor.

Edit: Ewan's playing Black Mask without a black mask? Why.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Huntress doesnt look like Huntress.
Black Mask doesnt look like Black Mask.
Black Canary doesnt look like Black Canary.
Cassy Cain is in this but i guess she isnt Batgirl or Orphan yet so fair enough.
Zsasz is in this but im guessing he is just generic serial killer 2.

But otherwise Ill bite.

Yep.

I don't understand how in this day in age you shy away from comicbook costumes.

Nov 13, 2017

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

I don't understand how in this day in age you shy away from comicbook costumes.

I'll always respect Marvel for this. They gave us fishbowl Mysterio. They didn't hide that shit, they weren't ashamed of it. If you have Mysterio you NEED the fishbowl. Yet, DC out here afraid of a Black Skull Mask.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
How you gonna have a character called Black Mask who always wears a black mask and not give him a black mask?

It's R-rated and has a low-ish budget for a comic book movie.
The likelihood of him only being called "Roman Sionis" on screen and only Black Mask in the credits is high. Then "black mask" is worked into a dialogue line somewhere near the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Why would you think that? In the DC movies, they have kept their powers. The only one i can think of that's different is that wonder woman can't fly. But that's not a first for her.

this film doesn't exactly seem to be prioritizing fidelity to the source material (based both on publicly released stuff and some leaked details I'll refrain from hinting at here), and DC is clearly going for more tonal diversity in the DCEU going forward, so I don't think it was unreasonable of me

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I'll always respect Marvel for this. They gave us fishbowl Mysterio. They didn't hide that shit, they weren't ashamed of it. If you have Mysterio you NEED the fishbowl. Yet, DC out here afraid of a Black Skull Mask.

But we don't even know if the events in this movie cause him to use the mask. Seems like a wild leap.

this film doesn't exactly seem to be prioritizing fidelity to the source material (based both on publicly released stuff and some leaked details I'll refrain from hinting at here), and DC is clearly going for more tonal diversity in the DCEU going forward, so I don't think it was unreasonable of me

Dude, this is the same Harley from Suicide Squad. Where they had killer croc, enchantress, and el diablo. All them had their mutations/powers. They even have Harley's hyena (dunno if she has both), having Canary with her powers is not some stretch. We've had exactly one movie, Joker that doesn't have any powers. Which is also an elseworld movie.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
I wish they had costumes. Even in Suicide Squad they wore costumes.

But besides that I AM glad the movie looks good.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
why are they lumping an S teir hero with a street level villian? shouldn't she up against someone like mongal or braniac?

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
the way the DCEU has been leaning is so bizarre. It's like they're afraid of being DC or some shit. At least Marvel leans into their shit.

Compare this to current DC and it's just a totally different aesthetic.

I dunno, I've always been more into the lighter, wackier DC. Movie doesn't look terrible. Weird approach to Birds of Prey, though.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
I'm in! Hopefully there isn't as much tonal whiplash between the trailer and the movie like with Suicide Squad.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Bowlfish Mysterio was cool. But a big reason it worked so well was that it was on, you know, Spiderman Far From Home, which was a "fun movie for all family" type of deal. Now Imagine Bowl Fish Mysterio on a movie like Logan or Joker. Completely different kind of deal.

This isn't that. This is firmly Rated-R, that tries (and I mean it when I say tries) to be be more in line with Tarantino over theatrical crime pics. They can only go as far before the tonal dissonance starts acting in detriment to the whole vibe.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Bowlfish Mysterio was cool. But a big reason it worked so well was that it was on, you know, Spiderman Far From Home, which was a "fun movie for all family" type of deal. Now Imagine Bowl Fish Mysterio on a movie like Logan or Joker. Completely different kind of deal.

This isn't that. This is firmly Rated-R, that tries (and I mean it when I say tries) to be be more in line with Tarantino over theatrical crime pics. They can only go as far before the tonal dissonance starts acting in detriment to the whole vibe.

Um, Tarantino is all about pulpy, genre films. A Black Skull Mask would be right at home in Kill Bill.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But we don't even know if the events in this movie cause him to use the mask. Seems like a wild leap.

That's not the only issue. If you showed me a still from this film of Black Canary or Huntress, I would have no idea who they are. Even Harley Quinn looks nothing like her namesake. I'm not asking for the jester costume, but at least use the black/red color scheme.

And I hate when a movie waits until the last minute to introduce "costumes." It's usually pointless buildup, reminds me of that bullshit from X-Men Apocalypse.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Looks cool, albeit much more Harley-centric than actually Birds of Prey, though you have to expect the marketing to lean more into that anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

yeah, for better or worse, this seems to be taking a Marvel Netflix approach in some significant respects. not in that it's necessarily as dark, but that it's keen on stripping away the overtly fantastical, comic book-y elements as much as possible

Dude, this is the same Harley from Suicide Squad. Where they had killer croc, enchantress, and el diablo. All them had their mutations/powers. They even have Harley's hyena (dunno if she has both), having Canary with her powers is not some stretch. We've had exactly one movie, Joker that doesn't have any powers. Which is also an elseworld movie.

even if it's technically in the same universe, an aspect WB has taken pains to deemphasize, it's a different director and screenwriter clearly going for a very different and more grounded tone versus the previous DCEU films. this is silly

Rickelodeon

Oct 25, 2017
Looks so good

That was hype but lets not pretend like Marvel isn't afraid sometimes to use costumes lmao. Thor never wears his classic helmet aside from a cornonation scene in the first movie and one action scene in his 3rd movie. Quicksilver didn't get a costume and Wanda still hasn't gotten the headdress. Meanwhile DC had the balls to use Black Manta's big-ass helmet unabashedly

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks cool, albeit much more Harley-centric than actually Birds of Prey, though you have to expect the marketing to lean more into that anyway.

From the director

"Margot knew she wanted to tell a 'Harley Quinn plus girls' story. That was kind of where she began with it. She knew she wanted a girl gang. She wanted Harley to have friends."
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2480489/birds-of-prey-margot-robbie-wanted-to-give-harley-friends

This is going to be a Harley Quinn movie first, with birds of prey being second wheel. I don't have an issue with that per say, I just want a good movie.

Nov 13, 2017
Looks so good

That was hype but lets not pretend like Marvel isn't afraid sometimes to use costumes lmao. Thor never wears his classic helmet aside from a cornonation scene in the first movie and one action scene in his 3rd movie. Quicksilver didn't get a costume and Wanda still hasn't gotten the headdress. Meanwhile DC had the balls to use Black Manta's big-ass helmet unabashedly
This^

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think that looks terrible. Hopefully it's just a bad trailer but a film called Birds of Prey should really give me some kind of impression of who everyone else is.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

A black mask would fit just fine in this movie.