• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trailer
Available on Netflix

Bird-Box-Netflix-review-Sandra-Bullock-reviews-1058045.jpg

When a mysterious force decimates the world's population, only one thing is certain: if you see it, you take your life. Facing the unknown, Malorie finds love, hope and a new beginning only for it to unravel. Now she must flee with her two children down a treacherous river to the one place left that may offer sanctuary. But to survive, they'll have to undertake the perilous two-day journey blindfolded. Academy Award® winner Sandra Bullock leads an all-star cast that includes Trevante Rhodes, with Sarah Paulson, and John Malkovich in #BirdBox, a compelling new thriller from Academy Award® winner Susanne Bier.

bird_box.jpg

giphy.gif

Last edited:

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
Watching as soon as I get the baby down. Some things you don't want them to see. Baha.

Been looking forward!

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it, and I liked it a lot. The pacing was solid, Sandra Bullock is good, and the premise is well executed. I was tensed up throughout.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably watch it this weekend, but wouldn't mind hearing some opinions from those who read the book on how well the changes serve it as a film.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it tonight!

I'll give you an in depth of what this movie is like. It gives me vibes of course a quiet place but also last of us and the road. It has a few rough spots mainly at the begining such as how our main character gets to this house with others. But I have to say this movie surprised me. One of the biggest surprises of the year. It's a gorgeous film and for such a small budget it's actually amazing what they do. It never feels to long and I love how resourceful the characters are. Of course there are also some dumb points and things you can see a mile away but when tension happens its damn good! There are atleast 3-4 moments that made me wonder what the fuck is happening.

I'd give it a solid 7-8/10
It's so visually good looking at times and it has cliche but when moments happens it's great!

the monsters you do not seen them directly but there shown through drawings what they could look like. Also they cant go inside buildings unless theyre open. They mimic sounds and others voices. Just in case some people are upset you don't see them.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Movie was pretty good, girlfriend and myself enjoyed it. I liked Quiet Place better, she liked this one more. Worth a watch.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I like it, a solid 3 out of 5. We are all clueless to whatever the fuck is going as Sandra Bullock who's playing a pretty resourceful lady. This is clearly on a limited budget, but still a pretty movie to look at. I just don't like
the super obvious cop lady and bad boy hookup, and why they split leaving the group?
I didn't think it made sense considering their options.

Also, the moment Sandra Bullock picked up a machete, all I could see was Lara Croft. Sandra Bullock would be spot on as Lara.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
A Metacritic score of 52 is considered not too bad now? Honestly, the reviews killed my interest. Seems like just another subpar to mediocre Netflix original.

:shrugs: i don't really care about aggregate scores for movies. i've enjoyed a lot of movies where people have called them "trash" on here. if the trailer/premise piques my interest i'll be willing to give it a shot especially if people say its decent.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching it. Was decent. Concept is a bit bizarre and isnt as fleshed out as it could be, but the cast is good and has its moments.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I found it pretty good overall, was quite brutal at times. I reckon 15 minutes could have probably been cut as it started to drag on towards the end.

Highlight for me was the size of Trevante Rhodes' arms, that man is a beautiful beast.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
Okay but nothing special imo. The Happening x A Quiet Place. Good cast. The last 15 minutes were tense.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I found it pretty good overall, was quite brutal at times. I reckon 15 minutes could have probably been cut as it started to drag on towards the end.

Highlight for me was the size of Trevante Rhodes' arms, that man is a beautiful beast.
Between this and Moonlight, I've developed a mancrush on him. He's like a younger 50 Cent without the bullet holes.

Last edited:

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Forgot this was coming out. I've read the book and enjoyed it so need to give it a watch.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
its a bit better than quiet place cause the people weren't as dumb. also i like the backstory of the monsters,
aka there wasn't any. And having roving bands of literally crazy people who were immune was a good idea but they didn't look or act crazy, just looked like a really bad biker gang

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I binged on the book in one sitting ironically not long after I'd seen The Quiet Place, and found the book really memorable and chilling. It seems like they've changed quite a bit of the premise and the plot for the film? Like Annihilation, it admittedly wouldn't be an easy book to adapt - but like with Annihilation, I'm kinda head scratching at some of the changes. I do recommend giving the book a read if you have the opportunity.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I found the plot structure annoying because the past stuff was so much more interesting than the present survival story.

Also so many good actors wasted in this. Jacki Weaver is basically just part of the furniture for 90% of her screen time.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This cast seems almost unnecessarily loaded for a Netflix film, the end result is that it's far better acted and paced than your average apocalypse/monster/zombie film.

Even the kids are wonderful - between this, Logan, and A Quiet Place I'm convinced that letting children emote silently instead of speak is the way forward for cinema.

I was unfamiliar with the premise of the threat going in, and while the initial explanation was clumsily delivered, the revelation of
Gary and his drawings
was better than any actual cheap CGI spectacle. The ending is such a "why didn't I think of that" moment that it doesn't come off as cheesy. I'm stunned this didn't get a wide release, solid 7 or 8 out of 10, flat out better than Annihilation. Need to read the book now.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished this. Was far better than I expected. And I have to agree with the poster above
I usually want to see the creature but damn, the drawings Gary had were more than enough. Some SPC shit right there.

Worth a watch, if you enjoyed A quiet place you will probably dig this.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend and I watched this last night.

Having read the book last year, I found the pacing kind of weird (I get they had to condense all the events in the book into a 2 hour movie).

Also the handling of
Gary and his reveal and betrayal was executed way better in the book

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I loved the book! Cant wait to watch this. I didn't even know this was happening!

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
It was alright. Nothing setting it apart other than the sight thing. I think it started off really strong and fell apart before the half way point. I'll re-watch and see if I see/feel anything different.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
B+

Ending was the weakest point. There were 2 stories, I liked how they linked them up, that was tidy. But that ending, eh.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
We watched it last night, really enjoyed it. Basically any scenes with the kids had me stressed the fuck out.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Watched this yesterday.
Nothing new or interesting here. At best, it's watchable. Just another generic end-of-the-world movie, with bland characters, scenes, and plot. meh/10

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Movie was just "okay", and I think the book handles certain things way better:
Book Gary vs. Movie Gary, as well as just the overall pacing

Another book vs. movie thing I kind of found weird was
how the movie handles "the people who can see the things and not go crazy" concept. The movie makes it seem like seeing the "things" will cause some people to almost be mindcontrolled into assisting the "things" in making other people see them (the guy in the freezer, boat guy, Gary, the bandits near the end of the movie)? Whereas the book makes it seem like Gary is kind of a unique outlier who is somehow immune to them AND also a psychopath. Made the movie less of a "humans are the real monsters" thing and more a "monsters are the real monsters" thing, but I could just be misinterpreting it.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Movie was just "okay", and I think the book handles certain things way better:
Book Gary vs. Movie Gary, as well as just the overall pacing

Another book vs. movie thing I kind of found weird was
how the movie handles "the people who can see the things and not go crazy" concept. The movie makes it seem like seeing the "things" will cause some people to almost be mindcontrolled into assisting the "things" in making other people see them (the guy in the freezer, boat guy, Gary, the bandits near the end of the movie)? Whereas the book makes it seem like Gary is kind of a unique outlier who is somehow immune to them AND also a psychopath. Made the movie less of a "humans are the real monsters" thing and more a "monsters are the real monsters" thing, but I could just be misinterpreting it.

I think the movie makes it clear that

The people who survive were clearly mentally ill/downright psychotic beforehand. It kind of makes sense, what would you show someone who already lacked empathy or a normal fear response, to drive them to violence or self- harm? Stephen King pondered the same thing when Pennywise confronted Patrick - the leaches were something that had been unpleasant in his past, but when Pennywise comes to collect him he can't choose a solid form because Patrick's mind is a mess. They're not above murder for self-preservation/kicks, so even though they're working with the creatures they seem to have a decent level of autonomy. I don't know how differently the book handles the survivors.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
The beginning was well done and lulled me into thinking that the end product would be much better than it was. There were a couple of well executed sequences outside of that but it generally got worse as it went on, by turns predictable and silly.

Most of the characters were very thinly sketched and little more than walking cliches. Bullock did the best with what she was given but even her character had desperately little to work with. And as for the rest...

A bunch of strangers trapped in a post-apocolyptic environment complete with the religious one, the paranoid one, the one that's too kind and the reckless one? How original!

It was really nothing anyone hasn't seen before but better. Also the decision to structure the plot the was they did was awful - it added very little but drained most of the tension from the middle of the movie since it made abundantly clear who survived and who didn't incredibly early on.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I liked Malkovich cause he is awesome and some of the other performances were pretty good but the story was pretty meh. River dude was cool and a lot of the deaths were well done but the river and the forest with just sandra and kids was real bad.

Was hoping for more out of the concept

That actress from AHS is always awesome tho

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
Just watched this with my wife. 7.25/10 for me.

Some scenes did feel really suspenseful and it was a great cast who did as much as they could with the script. Enjoyed the way the main threat was handled.

However, I feel like there wasn't anything in this that we haven't seen elsewhere. It was a fairly predictable plot and kept reminding me of The Happening, even if this movie is much better.

Oct 26, 2017
Really great! But I
wanted to see what the things looked like
:(
It felt kinda Lovecraftian which was a good thing.
I read a thing which had the screenwriter theorise that the monsters were
Aliens or extra dimensional beings that communicate purely through visual means, but in such a way that simply looking at them drives a person to madness. Poor things just wanted to be understood.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not even stretch Armstrong could make that reach.

Anyways bird box starts off decently but just slowly does a whole lot of nothing for 45 mins before finishing in a really dumb way.

All of those people are so fucked. Even with the stupid parents in a quite place BB ain't got shit on john krasinski.

Storm Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't like
the super obvious cop lady and bad boy hookup, and why they split leaving the group?
I didn't think it made sense considering their options.
The writers couldn't find anything else to do with them so they literally just drove off into the sunset. I wish I was exaggerating.

Samara

Oct 25, 2017
Québec
Read the book last year. I liked the first person view. If I remember correctly, other than the gang, it was pretty faithful to the book.

They changed the "we pierced our eyes just for precautions" to school for the blind. Kind of removes the horror they went through.

Last edited: