• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

View the full thread (it's 9 tweets) for the full breakdown!

For those of you who have Twitter embeds blocked at work:
  • Funds red flag laws for every state that allow courts to take guns away from people who are a danger to themselves
  • Closing the boyfriend loophole: if you assault your girlfriend or ex girlfriend, you lose your right to own a gun
  • For under 21 year old gun buyers: enhanced background checks including calling the local police department to see if kid is in mental crisis. This check has a 3-10 day cool off period for young people before they're allowed to purchase the gun.
  • Banning straw purchases
  • Bill clarifies who needs to register as a federal firearms dealer to make sure every commercial gun seller is doing background checks
  • $11 billion investment in mental healthcare reform building nationwide mental clinics
  • $2 billion in community safety by funding community anti-violence programs in our cities, and school safety initiatives, by increasing funds for the existing bipartisan STOP School Violence program.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It better than nothing and more than I expected.

So yay I guess? But I am DEEPLY skeptical that this gets through the Senate. Especially since the Republicans have the majority thanks to Manchin and Sinema.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why do I get a dreadful feeling that even something as simple as this will die in the Senate?

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Am super skeptical, but sincerely hoping this passes.

kingslunk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My complaint is none of what's in this bill would've prevented the Vegas shooting. But im glad theres at least something.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
My complaint is none of what's in this bill would've prevented the Vegas shooting. But im glad theres at least something.
For sure. We need to ban AR-15's, AK-47's and we need to ban high capacity magazines.

But these laws could've prevented the Uvalde shooting and the Buffalo shooting, given both of these were situations of kids being in crisis and threatening to shoot up places, etc.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Closing the boyfriend loophole seems kind of massive, assuming it's utilised properly.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Funding red flag laws seems to mean there are no red flag laws. The removal of weapons from unstable domestic situations is a big plus. I guess it is better than doing literally nothing.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
So is this saying that they're still doing the thing where if a background check doesn't come back after a few days you can just go ahead and buy the gun?
It says 3-10 days. We don't know the full extent of this background check but it says it is enhanced. Maybe the local police department will do a welfare check on you and get you taken for a mental evaluation or something if you're under 21? And if you pass then you can buy the gun after so many days? Not sure. Maybe we do know, I'm not going to read the full long bill text of course but I would think media would report on it if we knew.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Question: How would anyone know if a gun being bought is a straw purchase or not? Like, what's to stop someone from purchasing a gun saying it's for themselves, and later they give it to their under 21 child?

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
It's better then nothing.

Would need a super majority in the senate and scotus to get anything better passed.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's depressing that such no-brainer policies are treated like groundbreaking progress in this political climate. But good policies passing can beget support for more in the future. Though we really need good stat tracking on gun violence to go with this.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
For sure. We need to ban AR-15's, AK-47's and we need to ban high capacity magazines.

But these laws could've prevented the Uvalde shooting and the Buffalo shooting, given both of these were situations of kids being in crisis and threatening to shoot up places, etc.
Outright bans on stuff like the AR-15 and other similar style rifles like that are never going to happen. There are too many already in private hands and there is no reasonable way to get them out of said hands. High capacity magazines being banned might be possible though.

The best that we can hope at this point is more legislation like that that actively limits their availability, their price, the wait period involved, the background checks, and the punishments for possessing them illegally.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
It better than nothing and more than I expected.

So yay I guess? But I am DEEPLY skeptical that this gets through the Senate. Especially since the Republicans have the majority thanks to Manchin and Sinema.
It is more likely to pass the Senate than the House where progressives may tank it for being imperfect.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
I like the boyfriend loophole law. That will differently help.

But this seems like the states have the power to implement the laws, right?

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
$11 billion for new mental health clinics seems like a big win. That could have a lot of good effects
Yes! I've been pushing for Dems to call that 'mental health' bluff for *years*, because if the GOP are even considering more money for mental health, we should fucking do it. Even if it's basically nothing to do with gun crime in actuality. It's funding that is going to measurably impact a lot of people in positive ways.

Why would it be "assault your girlfriend" and not "assault a human being in general"?
You know why.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
It says 3-10 days. We don't know the full extent of this background check but it says it is enhanced. Maybe the local police department will do a welfare check on you and get you taken for a mental evaluation or something if you're under 21? And if you pass then you can buy the gun after so many days? Not sure. Maybe we do know, I'm not going to read the full long bill text of course but I would think media would report on it if we knew.
I'm gonna go thru the text of the bill but what I'm saying is, currently in the US, if a background check doesn't come back within 3 days it's legal to go ahead and sell the gun anyway. I'm wondering if the 3-10 days thing is the same kind of thing. It seems like it isn't and is just saying how long the check might take. But I'm curious

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time I've ever seen it as the "girlfriend" loophole. It's always been the "boyfriend" loophole, no?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard of the "boyfriend loophole"; what's that a loophole in? It sounds like that should just be a scenario where a person shouldn't have a gun (even more than how much most people should normally not have access to guns).

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Why would it be "assault your girlfriend" and not "assault a human being in general"?
The greatest predictor of someone being a mass shooter is them being a man who has a history of violence against women.

For people who don't understand: If you have assaulted your spouse, you will not pass a background check. If you assaulted your partner, and you're not married, that won't hit and will still allow you to pass a background check.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I've never heard of the "boyfriend loophole"; what's that a loophole in? It sounds like that should just be a scenario where a person shouldn't have a gun (even more than how much most people should normally not have access to guns).
It's as dumb as it sounds, read below:
The "boyfriend loophole" deals with whether unmarried partners can have guns if they were found guilty of violence against a dating partner.

Federal law currently only bars people from purchasing a firearm if they are convicted of domestic violence while:
- Living with their partner
- Married to their partner
- Have a child with their partner
You cannot be barred from purchasing a gun unless you live with your partner, are married to them or have a child with them. As long as you're convicted of abusing your ex or a girlfriend you don't live with or have children with, you're A-okay!

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
The boyfriend loophole is a thing cause if you were accused of domestic abuse against a SPOUSE you could have your guns taken again but if you weren't married you could keep them. It was dumb as fuck.

Edit: Better said above