• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I wonder what will happen when Game Informer do the next round of 100 rapid fire questions with Bioware rep. during DA4 coverage and asks whether Anthem got a fair shake in the reivews. What other game will they place the blame on then....

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Kill it please, these coders deserve better than this game

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
It seems people are (deliberately?) misreading the post:

We hear your concerns on core issues in Anthem and are acting on it. Those systems require a more thorough review and re-working versus quick fixes. We've got a team working on that now, and early results are promising.

BioWare has a (large...) team working on big structural changes to improve Anthem.

In order to address these long-range plans, we are moving away from the Acts structure for updates. Instead, we have additional seasonal updates planned for this year that we think players will enjoy. These events will deliver challenges and chases similar to what you've seen, and are built around some fun themes we're bringing to the game.

In the interim BioWare is still going to support the game with incremental updates.

As I've said previously, we want to be transparent with you that we know more work needs to be done to make Anthem better. We also want to ensure we're backing up our words with a great game you can play.

BioWare wants to build trust with the community by sharing things that the community can immediately engage with.

So I don't have any news today to share about the long-term changes we are bringing to Anthem. What I can say is that we will continue to engage with you, our community, through PTS when we can show you what is coming.

Since long-term changes aren't done, BioWare doesn't want to promise things that aren't fully fleshed out.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Getting rid of Acts to work on 'seasonal content' sounds a lot like they're scrapping plans for major updates and will work on small-scale stuff until the game fizzles out completely.

This is 100% my take. We'll get some events in the free-roam mode and maybe a special vendor or new currency, but likely this is the end of large-scale story content.

Clearly the Cataclysm was being worked on pre-launch and was supposed to set up a storyline to humanize the Dominion leadership and build towards something that would be world-altering at the end of year one. Now we'll get a grabbit themed Easter event and some challenges.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SUPER dead. Skeleton crew working on fixes and recycling events it is, then.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
All that just to say "So I don't have any news today to share about the long-term changes we are bringing to Anthem."

Fuck

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
BioWare has a (large...) team working on big structural changes to improve Anthem.

Oh, yeah, Anthem totally feels like there's a large team working on it.

If you can't even talk in general terms about the upcoming changes, you shouldn't be talking about them at all. Or, more likely, they aren't the substantial changes players are hoping for. BFV is going through this same thing and it too is a failed EA live service game.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I just feel so bad for the team working on this game. Didn't they pivot the montreal folks and give this to austin like they did SWTOR? Or am I remembering that completely wrong?

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
LwBs0am.gif

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised how motivated they can stay with how very little people are concurrently playing it
Well, they either let the game die or they work hard to improve it and bring players back. After No Man's Sky's complete turn-around, I think no game is doomed after a messy launch. And I think devs and publishers can see that way too.

I just feel so bad for the team working on this game. Didn't they pivot the montreal folks and give this to austin like they did SWTOR? Or am I remembering that completely wrong?
Edmonton developed Anthem. Montreal no longer exists after developing Andromeda (they were merged with Motive). Austin is handling post-launch support for Anthem. They developed the entirety of SWTOR, not just post-launch content.
But, yes, Edmonton is now working on Dragon Age. It was always the plan to let Austin handle Anthem after launch, since they have a lot more of experience in the area.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
That's a lot of reading for very, very little actually being said.

You want to take them at their word and that things are actively being worked on but with that statement, it's hard to honestly imagine that being the case. How can they possibly turn it around when they know so many have left?

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People keep talking about No Man Sky and Final Fantasy. Nowhere during these respective games has the player base sink to such low numbers as Anthem did. Plus, they cant make money out of one expansion with Anthem, since they promised new content will ALWAYS be free. They have absolutely zero incentive to keep making new content for this game, instead, they are only selling cosmetics.

People are actually reading what it means instead of what it says. All the story content for the game was scrapped and any traces of it on all EA's websites are gone, and now the person in charge of the game going forward is saying that they don't have anything to say about any of that other than fixes and events.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for the developers on this team still, as all of the leads seem to have abandoned ship and left them holding the bag. I'm sure that not quite a fair statement to make but man, imagine having to issue THIS statement.

This statement.

That says basically, hey everyone! We don't really have any to say and definitely aren't going to announce any type of long-term anything... so... thanks!

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

Since long-term changes aren't done, BioWare doesn't want to promise things that aren't fully fleshed out.

So...while I get the point you're trying to make vis-a-vis showing and not delivering being a huge concern that Bioware doesn't want to flub....

BioWare wants to build trust with the community by sharing things that the community can immediately engage with.

They literally didn't show off 'any' long-term plan that they have to revitalize the game Destiny-1 style, aside from 'we promise it'll be great, guys' - and that's not great for 'building trust' - especially with the microscope the game has been put under post-launch and what's come out since then in terms of negative press regarding the game being cobbled together and the fact that the public was sold a.....rather grandiose vision that didn't even remotely get realized.

Realistically, how long would you say that players should give the devs the benefit of the doubt for (especially in the Gaas day and age, where Anthem's updates have been....sporadic and from what I've read, largely under-delivering) for the 'Anthem 2.0' update?

Not to mention that Bioware itself doesn't even seem to have any concrete public roadmap of how to fix things?

Especially since this is the....what, 4th iteration of the same 'please wait a little longer' dev post that has been issued?

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
It's really weird how invested people get in wanting games to fail. Literally misreading/misinterpreting posts to get out a wrong hot take.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
Bioware: "So what's next for Anthem?"

Also Bioware: "We're still working on it and can't say anything yet, stay tuned!"

Man this game, hopefully some day some year will have a good turnaround like Siege.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, they either let the game die or they work hard to improve it and bring players back. After No Man's Sky's complete turn-around, I think no game is doomed after a messy launch. And I think devs can see that way too.
No Man's Sky is a great comeback story, sure... but it also was a glorified indie game made by a very small team on a very low budget that sold so well at launch they could comfortably work on content without fear of those funds being cut off. Anthem, despite selling enough to be one of the top-selling games at launch this year, didn't meet sales expectations. No Man's Sky's sales exceeded almost all estimates.

EA as a publisher, however, has a long and documented history of cutting and running on games and studios that are proving problematic. They have pulled support from better games for weaker reasons.

Not saying it can't turn things around (and I hope it DOES and proves us all wrong), but I won't let myself be optimistic yet. This update doesn't make me any more optimistic.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Well, they either let the game die or they work hard to improve it and bring players back. After No Man's Sky's complete turn-around, I think no game is doomed after a messy launch. And I think devs and publishers can see that way too.

Edmonton developed Anthem. Montreal no longer exists after developing Andromeda (they were merged with Motive). Austin is handling post-launch support for Anthem. They developed the entirety of SWTOR, not just post-launch content.
But, yes, Edmonton is now working on Dragon Age. It was always the plan to let Austin handle Anthem after launch, since they have a lot more of experience in the area.
Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry for my misinformation.

I meant Edmonton I guess. See to me I remember the interviews that the Austin team tried to prep them for this and it was on deaf ears. But I dunno. Seems like you should listen to the dedicated team who does online games when they talk to you about online.
Yep, BioWare Austin has been in charge of Anthem since launch.
Thanks!

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

I mean, I can get not sharing long-term plans, but they're also not sharing short-term plans, apart from "we're still struggling behind the scenes to make the game worthwhile, we'll have more to share on this at some point in the even more nebulous future."

The game launched in February with a mapped-out roadmap. That was the long-term. People bought into the game with the idea that it would be good investment, with ongoing changes and new content. Then they pretty much immediately jettisoned the road map, and now, 207 days later, are instead still opaquely struggling to correct the basic gameplay issues that were immediately apparent on release of the game.

I mean, I enjoyed my time with Anthem, but I played it as a one-off single-player experience and that was it. It's going to take something amazing to bring people back, and that doesn't seem to be happening anywhere in the near future.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It really sucks that they are wasting so many hard working developers time on this game just to save face. There is no comeback story here.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
hopefully from now on they let Bioware do Bioware games, ya know EA, the reason you bought the Studio.....

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
It still blows my mind to think that this game launched this year. 7 months ago no less. It seems like it was so long ago.

There is absolutely nobody playing this among anyone I know.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
No Man's Sky is a great comeback story, sure... but it also was a glorified indie game made by a very small team on a very low budget that sold so well at launch they could comfortably work on content without fear of those funds being cut off. Anthem, despite selling enough to be one of the top-selling games at launch this year, didn't meet sales expectations. No Man's Sky's sales exceeded almost all estimates.

EA as a publisher, however, has a long and documented history of cutting and running on games and studios that are proving problematic. They have pulled support from better games for weaker reasons.

Not saying it can't turn things around (and I hope it DOES and proves us all wrong), but I won't let myself be optimistic yet. This update doesn't make me any more optimistic.
It's fair to avoid being optimistic about it and I agree that the comparison to NMS isn't equivalent. My point was that NMS brought a lot of players back, and even brand new players, after pulling off great updates that fundamentally changed the game. I don't mean to say BioWare is doing the same, but rather that they can also regain a lot of good will if they manage to do the same.
Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry for my misinformation.

I meant Edmonton I guess. See to me I remember the interviews that the Austin team tried to prep them for this and it was on deaf ears. But I dunno. Seems like you should listen to the dedicated team who does online games when they talk to you about online.

Thanks!
Yeah, the story reported by Schreider told that Austin tried to give a lot of feedback to Edmonton, but Edmonton kept refusing it, despite Austin being a studio that successfully launched a big online title. It seems a lot of arrogance was in play, since Austin was called the "B-team".

Slyfox

Oct 28, 2017
Do you know how to be transparent? Give us numbers, dates. You have a large team working on the game, great. Whats the team number? What do you consider a large team? When did you start working on it? Just throwing more spin and news that can be misleading is useless. This isn't the first game that has said similar things after a disastrous launch. As people have mentioned, it's probably a skeleton crew and thats what I'm going to assume unless they are fully transparent with us

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I just want them to fix the game to the point where it will be a decent single player game with decent loading. That's all I want.

May 17, 2018
they probably paid for some much server bandwith that they are stuck in a monstrous contract if they try and break that contract .

damn clown show. how are these the same guys that made the Mass Effect Trilogy?? ....Pathetic

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those who want to know the state of the game on consoles, here's a video from a couple days ago with the latest updates.

3:55 to 5:38 nearly THREE MINUTES OF LOADING a level.

22:36 to 23:03 more than half a minute to load WITHIN THE LEVEL

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they still don't have an idea what Anthem should be and are hoping the remaining players can guide them into a plan for the game.

Deleted member 4541

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when ERA was so sure about this game? Good times.

Also, ANY NEWS ON THE GOD DAMN ROAD MAP THEY PROMOTED?

5GxfL5qwSvPrmQuRhvxHy4.jpg

EDIT: I ctrl F'd "roadmap" with no success. TY to the lovely individuals that pointed out the roadmap section of the article.

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Yknow, it might be in bioware's best interest to step back, fix the core experience and come out with a Realm Reborn style update that refreshes the game for newcomers. If FFXIV, Destiny 1 AND 2, and No Man's Sky can do it, I'm sure Anthem can.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those who want to know the state of the game on consoles, here's a video from a couple days ago with the latest updates.

3:55 to 5:38 nearly THREE MINUTES OF LOADING a level.

22:36 to 23:03 more than half a minute to load WITHIN THE LEVEL

Fucking yikes. The loading is about 1/6th of the time it takes to clear a stronghold.

Oct 30, 2017

And in doing so, have completely scrapped the previously modified update schedule that was released soon after the game's official launch. Shit, I remember one studio update that highlighted bug fixes as "additional content" because new content was barer than bare bones.

In the interim BioWare is still going to support the game with incremental updates.

Yeah, they're called bug fixes and is literally a minimum requirement of a developer. Oh, and they'll update their absurdly priced cosmetic store every now and then.

After Cataclysm, what happens? What do players do in the interim now that large updates have been pushed back (again)? They need fresh and frequent content to keep this gaming from continuing its freefall. New content 6 months from now won't mean shit when no one is playing it. The grind to 30 is not worth it, at all.

Because they made that mistake when they announced the game, delayed it, demoed a fake vertical slice, and pushed the game out in Early Access. The studio can't possibly think fans are going to fall for this shit a 4th time, right?