• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Hello Freelancers,

We're nearing the end of the Cataclysm, so I wanted to talk about what's coming for Anthem.

First, I'm proud of our team for creating a fun new experience for our players. It represents the largest post-launch update that we've delivered so far. We were humbly excited by the increase in player engagement we've seen with the Cataclysm. The team and I appreciate the response and support — it is what keeps us motivated to continue to improve Anthem.

Those of you in our player community that played on our Public Test Server gave us valuable feedback from your play that we used to influence our changes to the game. PTS is an invaluable tool we will leverage for future updates with Anthem. Some of the changes made to the Cataclysm based on your input were:

Combat balancing improvements
Adjustments for minor-to-major crystal economy
Additional types of reward crates, providing more player choice
UX tips in load screens to better explain Cataclysm mechanics
Final Score Banners to show how much score was gained from playing on higher difficulties
So what's next for Anthem?

We hear your concerns on core issues in Anthem and are acting on it. Those systems require a more thorough review and re-working versus quick fixes. We've got a team working on that now, and early results are promising.

In order to address these long-range plans, we are moving away from the Acts structure for updates. Instead, we have additional seasonal updates planned for this year that we think players will enjoy. These events will deliver challenges and chases similar to what you've seen, and are built around some fun themes we're bringing to the game.

As I've said previously, we want to be transparent with you that we know more work needs to be done to make Anthem better. We also want to ensure we're backing up our words with a great game you can play. So I don't have any news today to share about the long-term changes we are bringing to Anthem. What I can say is that we will continue to engage with you, our community, through PTS when we can show you what is coming.

Stronger together!

Chad
Head of Live Service

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine releasing this statement on the same day Bungie releases a video for their new expansion and talking about the next 5 years.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised how motivated they can stay with how very little people are concurrently playing it

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Glad to hear them openly communicating about their future plans. If even a game like Fallout 76 can get better with persistent support, I hope Anthem sees improvements as well.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
So this reads to me like they're postponing any major content updates in favor of overhauling the core experience. How do Anthem players feel about this?

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck to them. I still contend that there is a fun game there, but I don't think BioWare is going to dedicate the resources necessary to give the game a much-needed overhaul. Plus I don't think people are coming back anyway.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
DarkFatalBinturong-size_restricted.gif

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
They keep saying the same fucking thing since release. Okay dude, just let it die

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does them moving away from the Acts structure mean we won't find out more about what happened at the end of the campaign then? That was one of the coolest proposals from Anthem and I'd be bummed if that went away.

Oct 27, 2017
In order to address these long-range plans, we are moving away from the Acts structure for updates. Instead, we have additional seasonal updates planned for this year that we think players will enjoy. These events will deliver challenges and chases similar to what you've seen, and are built around some fun themes we're bringing to the game.

The long-term plan is the seasonal event with challenges:
• Kill X mobs to received your white/red themed weapon reskin

NOT A SINGLE BIT ABOUT NEW CONTENT: Story, suits, weapons, enemies or map sections.

The 8 people who still play Anthem will be enegized.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It sounds like any major new content has been scrapped and it will just be little tweaks and small things added before the game is killed.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear them openly communicating about their future plans. If even a game like Fallout 76 can get better with persistent support, I hope Anthem sees improvements as well.
Fallout 76 was always, always in a better state than Anthem and the dev team has remained consistent with patches, updates, and the overall roadmap.

Anthem is a comedy show in comparison and has a lot further to go.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, as much as I hated playing it, it's more due to everything other than the gameplay, which is pretty fun.

Id be in if they manage to improve it as they promised.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
That whole post was a whole lot of nothing. Hey what's next for Anthem you ask? Well we don't really have much to say right now. Just let the game die and move on already.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Fallout 76 was always, always in a better state than Anthem and the dev team has remained consistent with patches, updates, and the overall roadmap.

Anthem is a comedy show in comparison and has a lot further to go.
I disagree, I think Anthem has a stronger gameplay foundation than Fallout 76 (though conversely, I agree Fallout 76 has a better structural foundation than Anthem).

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Basically....

So yeah we're gonna work on and fix the minor shit to get the game in functional form so we can sap cash out of you.

And as far as gameplay we'll recycle existing assets and call them new until EA's higher ups decide server costs have exceeded profit.

[Post Papa EA Meme with Anthem in it.....]

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Glad they released a statement. I hope Anthem sticks around as there is something there it just needs to cook a little bit longer.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
So this reads to me like they're postponing any major content updates in favor of overhauling the core experience. How do Anthem players feel about this?
I mean Cataclysm was a lot of fun so I'm still on board personally. I do wish that they had a little something to show but am also curious to see where the next new event goes considering last update they had a weird mechanical creature show up in game and nuke a big part of the map so they have to have something planned soon.

I will certainly give them credit in terms of listening to the community they've honestly been great on Discord and have definitely stood behind their words in terms of what they posted. I'm willing to give the team time to fix things and while the slow periods are rough if it allows them to get things fixed and let's them focus on releasing new content on a steady basis I'm all for it.I do really hope they learn some things from other games like Destiny because playing the other night I was thinking how great it would be to have the leveling system Destiny has where if you're max level you can still level and earn rewards that would be great.

Jun 17, 2018
This sounds like the most painful game to support and I imagine that this a seriously shitty time for Bioware internally.

I imagine that they are just saving face at this stage and will kill the game off on its first anniversary.

chrisdm

Oct 27, 2017
Northeast United States
As someone that pre-ordered this game and is no longer playing as of today due to disappointment with how the final product turned out:

it makes me hopeful yet sad to see that they are again saying "...we want to be transparent with you that we know more work needs to be done to make Anthem better."

I always try to be as hopeful as possible with things like this that the ship will get turned around, but watching how fast their communication 180'd on us as soon as release and beyond occurred was saddening. I understand it's tough to keep communication AS open during release while dealing with different issues, but their level of transparency pre-launch was UNBELIEVABLE. Anyone that was in and following the Anthem community pre-release can attest to that.

Hoping for the best. <3

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Getting rid of Acts to work on 'seasonal content' sounds a lot like they're scrapping plans for major updates and will work on small-scale stuff until the game fizzles out completely.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Head of Live Service. 😂
What a great disservice. How can you be proud of the stinker yall produced?
Before I get jumped by some ea defender squad, let me tell ya I played plenty of the game. 70% trophies even.

There is no way I am ever going back. These posts are truly the minimum to address loyal customers. Bridge has been burned for me personally. The whole roadmap was a sham.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
this is not even funny... who approved this "update"? i will call this a patch notes.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
How do Anthem players feel about this?
Personally, I think it's good that they're seemingly going to keep improving the foundation. It's gotten better, but it can still improve. Otherwise I'm glad that they saw how much people genuinely did like Cataclysm (I know I did!) and will seemingly deliver more events like that.

Otherwise not really much to parse here. Fingers crossed, I guess?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Let's wait for how it does on EA Access before we call time of death. We don't have numbers for it since then, do we?

... Or do we? *looks around nervously*

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Honestly, it is really telling that we get this:
So what's next for Anthem?
I don't have any news today to share about the long-term changes we are bringing to Anthem.
Especially after Bungie's amazing ViDoc today - where they talk about the next 5 years of support coming to Destiny, and show off a slew of new content for the next few months.

Anthem was a game with a lot of promise, but it feels like it was a product put together with some cheap glue - which began to fall apart before it was even shipped. I honestly think now... is the time for them to say goodbye to Anthem. Their teams should all move on. I know many of the Devs already are working on the next Dragon Age - I think Anthem should be treated as a failed experiment, not necessarily one they need to forget about - but one they should learn from and move on from.

1*1LPBUmm5gjoDfet6AzMf1A.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Hoping for the best, but I really don't like how they designed the cataclysm stuff. Just couldn't really get into it, unfortunately. Also didn't help that playing with randoms just made the experience worse for me.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Basically said they are scrapping the Acts which they advertised because the game is such a mess. I like the gameplay in Anthem and it's fun to pop it in to kill stuff for 30 minutes or so, but they should just let it go.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I enjoyed the Cataclysm but without a steady stream of content at least that meaty or better this game is dead. Scrapping the acts tells me they have no real plan to delivery large-scale content going forward.

I'll probably treat the Cataclysm as the swan-song of the game. It was legit a lot of fun, but I doubt they have the team or budget to create anything like it again.