• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
All indications were that this was always the plan, but also the plan has gone poorly enough that if there were any serious effort underway to change course and salvage Anthem, it would probably involve putting DA4 on ice and pulling Edmonton back onto Anthem. This sounds like acceptance that Anthem is what it is and they're just going to ride it out for whatever that's worth, rather than undertaking a large-scale effort to change perceptions on it.

Oct 29, 2017
Is the next DA using frostbite?

The last one did, and despite the rocky development, the game itself turned out pretty good. So there's reason to think that Frostbite will not hobble a DA game.

(Personally I'd argue that the real problems with Andromeda and Anthem didn't come from Frostbite, though it certainly didn't help. Inquisition is evidence that if Bioware comes with strong story and characterization, it can produce a great game despite engine struggles.)

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Man, Bioware Austin really got shafted by Edmonton. Their feedback was mostly ignored during development despite being the one Bioware studio with MMO experience, assigned to do mostly thankless gruntwork, and now tasked with fixing the mess that Edmonton made, all the while being looked down upon by them. Cant imagine that morale is very high in Austin right now.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I read the reddit thread and it's kind of hilarious how many posters - who have near-constantly called the dev team incompetent since launch - are now 'concerned' the game is dead since they've been moved to the next project.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This could be good for Anthem. The Edmonton Bioware team is a bunch of stubborn dinosaurs who have no idea how to respond to gamer feedback. They literally saw their game crash and burn on reddit for two months and did fucking nothing. Instead they told their devs and community managers to go silent.

They have shown their true colors i am afraid. I have zero faith in Dragon Age. They clearly believe they know better and have zero tolerance for dissenting opinions as shown by the response to Jason's article. Dragon Age will have the same problems as long as the upper management is still in charge. Mark my words.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
If the same people working on Anthem are working on Dragon Age, then that's pretty terrifying. I'd probably give it to Austin since they seem to be the last studio that knows what they're doing.
Well, it's most likely being developed by some of the same people, at least, but Mark Darrah is their lead, as usual. And he was the guy that got brought over from their first iteration of Dragon Age 4 to course correct was left of Anthem to release something on time.

Oct 26, 2017
well losing its "lead creator" is considered a bad thing?? why are people freaking out over that..

ITS A GOOD THING that the lead creator is not working on it. the lead creater made ANTHEM.. that horrible game you all got suckered into buying.
New fresh people in, can only mean better games, cause it sure as shit cant get worse than what they launched.

personally, games like this should never be allowed to be sold in the first place. its a half finished game at best and we paid full price for it. I really hope Sony and MS starts asking developers/ publishers to fucking stop with this madness. set some rules SONY/MS that no game can ever be released until its fully finished.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the Dragon Age series. I probably liked Dragon Age more than Mass Effect depending on my mood.

I wish BioWare went back to Mass Effect and either fixed Andromeda story with its sequel or recon it with a reboot. I don't like how Mass Effect IP is just blowing in the wind right now.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
No matter what BioWare studio is working on what it's more likely then not Dragon Age 4 or whatever else they make will turn out to be an epic disaster. Take that to the bank

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I love the Dragon Age series. I probably liked Dragon Age more than Mass Effect depending on my mood.

I wish BioWare went back to Mass Effect and either fixed Andromeda story with its sequel or recon it with a reboot. I don't like how Mass Effect IP is just blowing in the wind right now.
The last article by Jason Schreier mentioned Mass Effect being recently "warmed up" after being put on ice post-Andromeda, so they're probably back to working on it in some capacity. Since Casey Hudson is back as studio director, I expected as much. Mass Effect is his baby, after all.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
anthem was doa and no one in my office wanted to believe me
rip bioware

Yeah I was kind of hopeful for it as I wanted my Iron man mmo-lite. A few of my coworkers straight up said "It's fucking EA dude, I'm just going to sit back and watch this thing burn to the ground."

God dammit they were (kind of) right :(

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was the plan from the start. There are a lot of negative things surrounding the game but this isn't one of them.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, non story. Austin is literally the "live services" team and the rest of Bioware is now moving onto the next game (Dragon Age)

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
This is common in these type of games.

The question is how much can the live team change the game for the better. There's a lot of problems in the game that go down to the core of the game that might take a while to fix.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! Dragon Age 4, this is all I've been waiting on. At this point, I just want it out there. I wish I liked their scifi games, but with the focus on guns and ranged gameplay it's just not the same gameplay wise.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God I am so scared for Dragon Age right now. I have no faith left in Bioware at this point. DA Inquisition was fantastic and I loved every (reasonably flawed) moment of it. I just have no hope that the current Bioware can repeat that performance, let alone one as good as Mass Effect or Origins.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's cool that development will start to pick up now, but I'm still really nervous for DA4.

I hope I'm wrong, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Weeaboom

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
I absolutely loved DA:Inquisition, and cannot wait for DA:4. Just imagine DA for next gen consoles...

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
This is not a sign of anything, and in fact it was always the plan for BioWare Austin to take the reins on the live service (although plenty of people in Edmonton are still on Anthem).

Darrah and Gamble both only joined Anthem in mid/late 2017. Darrah was always going to go make DA4 afterward. Gamble is on something else now. Warner is off for a personal thing.
Thanks for the info.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
If this was indeed the plan all along, then good on them for having at least one part of whatever plans were made for Anthem that makes sense. I'm hopeful Austin can salvage this given some time, unless the foundation is just too rocky.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Is Austin team there to support the live service or to help Anthem die peacefully ? They no longer work on SWTOR ?

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Is Austin team there to support the live service or to help Anthem die peacefully ? They no longer work on SWTOR ?
There's a smaller team on SWTOR at Austin. A large part will support Anthem going forward. There's content coming. Actors and VOs tweeted photos of their mocap sessions a little while back for new story content.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
This is not a sign of anything, and in fact it was always the plan for BioWare Austin to take the reins on the live service (although plenty of people in Edmonton are still on Anthem).

Darrah and Gamble both only joined Anthem in mid/late 2017. Darrah was always going to go make DA4 afterward. Gamble is on something else now. Warner is off for a personal thing.
Time for him to build a new Empire :)

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How old is this meme now ? I just goes to show how untrue it is. But of course, some years in the future, if/when Bioware bites the dust, there will be people saying "See ? See ? I've been saying this for years !"
They have to survive the EA earnings report in a few days before we start talking about years. Until then I'd put their lifespan in months

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, maybe Anthem can be saved now with Austin being the lead of the project with how they're accustomed to work with online games.