• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hope they're getting their house in order and have a good plan for where they want to go to avoid the crunch and moral issues they've suffered from. If Joplin was really getting people within the company excited again I hope they haven't scrapped it wholesale and are pulling ideas and concepts from it.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So what I have learned/observed from the ME, ME:A and Anthem is that Edmonton are the only team to look up to.
Montreal shit the bad with Andromeda, and Austin handles Srarwars or related live service Bioware games(?).

Anyway, EA will be pleased with DA4 either-way.
Seeing the DA:I gameplay, it would be really easy to make somewhat similar structured game with a ton of micro-transactions possibilities. They will finally have their GaaS revenue game, what EA wanted from Bioware with Anthem.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Wasn't this already known? Anyway, Austin is the studio who actually has lots of experience doing this well, so it seems like a good thing anyway? Hopefully they get the necessary time and resources.

Wasn't Edmonton Bioware's top studio? Also, neither Andromeda nor Anthem lacked time and resources. It's leadership and talent we should hope for future Bioware games.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Austin inherits a mess. Hope they can sort things out gradually as they have to fix the issues and provide content updates.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
This is not a sign of anything, and in fact it was always the plan for BioWare Austin to take the reins on the live service (although plenty of people in Edmonton are still on Anthem).

Darrah and Gamble both only joined Anthem in mid/late 2017. Darrah was always going to go make DA4 afterward. Gamble is on something else now. Warner is off for a personal thing.

Hopefully DA4 turns out good

Dec 23, 2018
Putting their roadmap on hiatus, shifting teams, lowering personnel on hand to keep working on it. Dont expect an ARR comeback

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a new thing, or anything, but it's still kind of shitty that Austin is stuck on maintenance/live support duty on Anthem while the people at the top that created the mess fuck off to Dragon Age 4.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
Sending all the positive feels in me towards DA4. I must exact my revenge on the Dread Wolf

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Austin righted a sinking ship once before, they could do it again... but the foundation this time is built on sticks of glass.

I don't envy them the task, but I wish them all the best. They should have been the go to reference point from day 1.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
This isn't a new thing, or anything, but it's still kind of shitty that Austin is stuck on maintenance/live support duty on Anthem while the people at the top that created the mess fuck off to Dragon Age 4.

That is not accurate either. Half of those people only came to the project very recently to help get it shipped.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
Imagine being a Destiny player that went to Anthem.
You just got burned again and this time it was quicker.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think leads generally stay on for post-launch support anyway. They're on to the next installment.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah.. Anthem is the proverbial spilt milk, all the best Bioware for Dragon Age 4.. Hope management has LEARNED from this last debacle of Anthem.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
This was always the plan internally. Austin has a great team in place to support the game as a live service. Chad and Ben are BWA leads so no change on that front.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
It sounded like the plan was always for Austin to take over Anthem while Edmonton primarily moved onto other projects so this was expected.

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Iam just waiting for the news that "Bioware" will be shut down. Cant help but iam afraid they are going to die with the Anthem failure. Do they have anything left up their sleeve?

f7ghyzeczyxz.jpg

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Iam just waiting for the news that "Bioware" will be shut down. Cant help but iam afraid they are going to die with the Anthem failure. Do they have anything left up their sleeve?

Always very original to drag out a tired old meme and and ask if they have anything up their sleeve, instead of reading one of the many posts in this thread explaining what is going on (and that this is normal and was always planned). Ah, forums... <3

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
It's not worth getting excited, they've clearly lost the creative minds and team behind their popular games. I doubt they'll be able to create anything other than another car crash on the Frostbite engine.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This is not a sign of anything, and in fact it was always the plan for BioWare Austin to take the reins on the live service (although plenty of people in Edmonton are still on Anthem).

Darrah and Gamble both only joined Anthem in mid/late 2017. Darrah was always going to go make DA4 afterward. Gamble is on something else now. Warner is off for a personal thing.
This needs to be threadmarked or quoted in the OP, otherwise people will (and are) just jump to the assumption that they're killing Anthem or something.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are lots of other things to be alarmed about when it comes to Anthem, but this ain't one of thrm

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
This aligns with the Kotaku report. Edmonton is no longer working on Anthem. That is Austin's project now.

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Always very original to drag out a tired old meme and and ask if they have anything up their sleeve, instead of reading one of the many posts in this thread explaining what is going on (and that this is normal and was always planned). Ah, forums... <3

Well i didnt like Inquisition because it was literally a "Single Player MMO". Now they have Anthem going down. I know the teaser of the new "Dragon Age" but i also know they rumors around it. (Small team, not very far) and after "Inquisition" iam burned.

When my nephew had birthday. I gave him a PSN Card now and told him i will buy a game for us to play together. He said he would like to have "Anthem". Because of work i never got it at release but now he doesnt want it anymore. Iam glad that i didnt buy it - it would be just a waste of money.

We are looking now for other games...

So i guess... they dont have anything else left beside the upcoming "Dragon Age 4" and maybe some other games not known yet. But its hard to believe they will make Dragon Age 4 a good one again.

Lets see where it leads with all those possible stuff hanging in the air but nothing seems to finish soon.

Personally i still hope for another good "Mass Effect". Hope dies last.... and i really enjoyed Andromeda.

And the meme tells one thing "History repeating itself..."

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem previous leads were from the Edmonton Studio, now they moved to live service support to Austin, this was known, thread title is misleading.

So if I understand correctly, some of the project-wide leads are done (and were always supposed to be done), but lower-level leads have just moved from Edmonton to Austin? (hopefully not literally, it'd be unfortunate if they had to move their families to another country!)

It definitely sounds like this is only notable because of the current state of the game, which was what I was kind of getting at earlier: all of this makes sense for a stable game, but Anthem is not stable. On the other hand, it's entirely possible Austin is in as good a position to fix these issues as Bioware Edmonton was; Edmonton did ship the launch-day product, after all.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope Dragon Age comes together. I can't imagine what will happen if Bioware has 3 down turns in a row.

Feb 21, 2019
Hey yall, Im confused, was this the plan from day 1?

(In any event, it does seem like Bioware Austin has a better handle on these types of games, lets see if they will be given the freedom to do something with it).

Oct 27, 2017
Literally dreamed last night a reveal trailer for Mass Effect 4 picking up in the Milky Way again, let's hope my brain knows something we don't know.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
If the same people working on Anthem are working on Dragon Age, then that's pretty terrifying. I'd probably give it to Austin since they seem to be the last studio that knows what they're doing.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
People say The Old Republic has gotten way better with Austin so that's something hopeful for Anthem.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Really really hope Bioware nails it out of the park, I would hate to see their insistence on the Frostbite Engine being their undoing for a 3rd straight project.