• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I recently played through Andromeda and I sort of like it. The writing could have been a bit better but I don't think it was a disaster. My dream senario is that they boldly goes with Andromeda 2. I think the ground i solid and it's also a way to lower expectations.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'll be okay with andromeda 2 only if they keep Vetra and Drack the rest can go in the trash lol

Last edited:

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy they're going back to Andromeda, I'd rather leave the milky way behind, and I hope they use this as an opportunity to start fresh and turn it around. IMO since the relay(?) says MR-7, this would have to be surely decades after Andromeda 1 right? There's no way you can build a 7th or Mark 7 relay in a short amount of time.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
If you want more "The sequel adventures of Shepard and crew" It's not going to live up to that (and IMO even an ME4 has no hope of living up to that either - hence my post earlier). If you have an itch for Mass Effect, but with the best combat, art direction, explorability the series has ever had and are willing to take a chance on its downsides then yeh sure.

If you can, play it on PC with a couple of mods to make it less grindy in terms of collecting resources / levelling up, and maybe one or to the improve the efficiency of your squad — you don't have direct control of their powers in ME:A, so if you are gonna rely on AI at least let them hold their own a bit more.

Writing wise I'm gonna give you a warning and say that the cutscene dialogue is full of that -M I L L E N I A L- comedic/overly jovial "don't take the mission too seriously" tone that harms a lot of people's options of the game. However in pretty much all the options where you personally get to choose what you want to say, there are options of to be diplomatic/professional if you so choose. I am that type of player so I was satisfied there.

I love the premise of the game and I think everyone should give it a fair shake if they can just bearing a few caveats in mind. Overall its by no means perfect but its a decent start that they can build off of. I was super sour on the whole thing on launch and the 10 hour demo but gave it a chance on a whim a long time after and enjoyed my time with it.

I might make a proper thread encouraging people to take a chance on it at some point btw. I fully expect to get roasted for that though — The MEA Hate is strong.

Haha, thanks. if you make the thread I'll be there to check it out at least :).

Interesting you say it has the best combat but you cant issue commands to the squad, sounds more limiting

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, thanks. if you make the thread I'll be there to check it out at least :).

Interesting you say it has the best combat but you cant issue commands to the squad, sounds more limiting
Thats a fair comment — best combat in terms of what you personally can do as the main character and ways you can prime and combo off of what you can do and other characters can do. But no you can't control which power they use specifically. You also have the most options in terms of verticality of movement/ cover etc of any of the games.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
They won't do Mass Effect Andromeda 2, the backlash, poor critical reception and low sales of the first Andromeda put that game series to bed.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Finished Andromeda for the second time today. Not an all time great like 2 and (aside from the last five mins) 3, but I still think its a solid game with a good story. Drack is one of my favourite ME companions.

BW did the game such a disservice by launching it in such a broken state it became a meme.
And not releasing a single dlc mission with it is a travesty in itself. Not one! They could have done 1 dlc mission to cap it all, and end some story threads.

Whoever

Oct 2, 2018
Does anyone else think that the artwork might indicate the new game is a prequel? The ship in the desert looks far less advanced than the ships in ME1. Also, that relay artwork looks like a relay under construction. If BioWare was making a prequel trilogy — especially one that would introduce elements that could repair the fallout of ME3's ending (Safeguards for the Quarians and Geth against Reapers? Just a thought)— that would be okay with me.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I know next to nothing about this, care to elaborate?

I want Legendary to be perfect ;_;

Mac Walters was one of the lead writers in ME2, the lead one in ME3 and the director of Andromeda (or something like that). In his defense, ME2 for me is not only the best game I've ever played, it's also the best written of the trilogy. But judging from ME3, Andromeda and his interviews, he is not the guy I want spearheading a ME project ever again. He just feels like someone who would rather double down in his mistakes and ignore any criticism than try to fix things. Or even leave them as is.

Would you rather him on the new game? I mean he's been on the writing team since the start, I'd have him oversee a remaster too.

I wouldn't. He feels to me like a guy who would put efforts to change a scene to "fix it" and just make it worse. Let me put this way: I think with him in charge there is a bigger chance for the dialogue with Soverign in ME1 being changed than anything in ME3 and its ending.

I love the ME trilogy, and Mac Walters was a part of that. But I don't think he can work as the one calling the shots. ME3 already showed that, and Andromeda more so.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't. He feels to me like a guy who would put efforts to change a scene to "fix it" and just make it worse. Let me put this way: I think with him in charge there is a bigger chance for the dialogue with Soverign in ME1 being changed than anything in ME3 and its ending.

I love the ME trilogy, and Mac Walters was a part of that. But I don't think he can work as the one calling the shots. ME3 already showed that, and Andromeda more so.
They are not doing any writing for this remaster, man.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not so much a fan of buying remasters and ports of games I already own, but I never finished this series on Xbox 360 and I'd be down to try it again this spring if the games are better optimized. What I've played of 1 and 2 were pretty cool.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

No real scenario where I'm blaming Mac Walters for Andromeda. From what we've heard behind the scenes he's the reason that game has any story at all considering how late he was brought onto the project. I think he was right to focus on the ending and intro (in his own words, what he wanted polished and up to snuff first) and getting them up to quality even if it means the middle of the game is lackluster (which it is).

The lack of direction from BioWare Montreal and Chris Schlerf not working out is what I'm blaming for Andromeda.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
They won't do Mass Effect Andromeda 2, the backlash, poor critical reception and low sales of the first Andromeda put that game series to bed.

I think one of the more likely things is a bit of a timeskip and some sort of mass relay style macguffin discovery that will see Andromeda & the Milky Way reunited, tbh. There are elements of Andromeda they'll probably want to return to, so I wouldn't be surprised if at the very least we get some of those Andromeda races make their way to the Milky Way.

But in real terms, the problem is sort of with the ME Trilogy. The problem is that the races and worlds there are established. Yes, there's endless more planets we can go to, ones we haven't seen, but the point is the trilogy takes you to the home planets of all the key players. It's a very complete trilogy in that sense. The exact results vary from player to player, but all of the major conflicts and questions in that universe are answered by the end of those three games - stuff like Genophage, the AI question, humanity's role in the galaxy, and where all the key races came from and what their cultures are like. It's all been seen and done, albeit a few of the home planets in ruins during ME3, but still.

That's the problem. The ME trilogy was very good at getting us all invested and showing us that whole universe in general, but it also made the galaxy feel very small as a result. And that's where the Andromeda setup is a slam dunk, because it let them keep what they wanted but get away from all that established lore and all the stuff we've seen before to find something new.

Maybe the new game will even end up being a mission to discover the fate of the ark ships and try to reunite with them now the Reaper threat has passed, like Star Trek Voyager in reverse. But it feels fairly likely Andromeda won't just be ignored, at least to me. The main question mark remains what they'll do about Shepard, obviously, and the ME3 ending choice in general, as there are endings for that character that leave things slightly open. It seems pretty obvious to me that Destroy is quietly the canon of the writers, but they also want to respect people's choices... or do they feel we're far enough away from that now that they can declare a canon?

Last edited:

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The Mass Effect cast reunion had many of them hearing news of the remaster at the same time as the rest of us.

They are not changing the story or recording any new lines. The story is done and the cast was not brought back to do anything more.

You're probably right. But I wouldn't consider it a locked case.

The remaster was meant to be released last month, and now it's targetting Q2'21, that's 5~8 months of extra dev time. Which means even if they didn't brought back cast members yet they still have plenty of time to do so.

Not to mention, there are a lot of scenes that can be done with just shepard voice actors. Think of ME3's dreams for example, which are very weak and could be reworked. You only need Shepard there, and maybe some other actor to do extra voice work. Or think of the Star Wars original films, there were changes made in them that didn't involved reshooting scenes.

The point is: trying to say what they will or will not do right now is just a guess. I was sure they wouldn't work on ME1's combat and turns out they seemly will.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

The remaster was meant to be released last month, and now it's targetting Q2'21, that's 5~8 months of extra dev time. Which means even if they didn't brought back cast members yet they still have plenty of time to do so.

Not to mention, there are a lot of scenes that can be done with just shepard voice actors. Think of ME3's dreams for example, which are very weak and could be reworked. You only need Shepard there, and maybe some other actor to do extra voice work. Or think of the Star Wars original films, there were changes made in them that didn't involved reshooting scenes.

The point is: trying to say what they will or will not do right now is just a guess. I was sure they wouldn't work on ME1's combat and turns out they seemly will.

It's fair to assume they delayed because their production pipeline was snarled up by the pandemic and lockdowns - they are probably just crunching to get it done, not adding new stuff. And if the reports are to be believed, the hang-ups are around trying to bring ME1 in line with the other two a bit more, right? That's a significant job.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

While I wouldn't be opposed to more lines, I feel very confident it's not happening. BOTH Shepard VAs were there for the reunion panel and Jennifer Hale was even saying she'd LIKE to do more Shepard in the future if the opportunity arose, so neither of them have been contacted about it yet.

Bioware themselves said that remaking or reimagining the story isn't what their focus is; it's on modernizing the games on a technical and gameplay level. That's where Mass Effect 1's refinements will supposedly come into play the most.

Redoing any part of the story outside of even including cut and locked content is a BIG undertaking. We're talking spending money to rehire and re-up contracts with voice actors, schedule time in the sound booth, spend money for the VA directors and editors and writers, the sound mixers, the programmers, and then ensure that any changes added or tweaked don't break something down the line in a gargantuan cross-connected, branching-path three game saga with QA testers.

Now, that's not saying it's unfeasible or impossible, but it's money EA absolutely won't want to spend if possible. The window to do all of these things is rapidly shrinking, but I do recall the stories of them crunching hard on ME3 with Martin Sheen doing his final voice work literally weeks before the game had to be printed to disc.

The BEST theoretical outcome is what modders have done with reusing old lines or cut lines in new, organic ways (such as creating more F/F and M/M romance options earlier on in the series), but that's effort that I'm highly skeptical they'll spend doing.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Andromeda was a series of good ideas that were terribly executed. Let's ignore the tech issues and look at the world they presented:
  • Only two alien species. Are you telling me that however many years of pre-production couldn't allow more than two?
  • A complete sidelining of your sibling, which was odd considering DA2 handled it reasonably well.
  • Indiscriminately shooting people who are revealed to have had psychotic breaks.
  • The Remnants which are in direct opposition with the central premise of the game. You're there to break new ground and setup in the new galaxy, but half the time you're playing archeologist.
  • None of the main quest lines actually get resolved at the end. Not the Remnant. Not the Scourge. Not the Kett. Not the Benefactor. Not the colonies (which could have also evolved post-game).
  • Side quests that end in a simple text message.
  • No choices that actually matter (except the Kett base). Though I suppose you could argue that ME3's ending started us down this path.
  • The Kett look like Collectors. Why can't villains be attractive too? What if the Remnants were the villains and everyone else was obtaining a false understanding of them? Perhaps the Scourge was caused by them as a Hail Mary cause of their dying empire.
  • The Archon sucks.
  • In a details first world, how does SAM control your body exactly?
  • How does SAM know operate Remnant tech? How does SAM do most things? Space magic. How is he more evolved than EDI too?
  • Everything about Ms. "My Face is Tired" Addison.
  • What Shamus said about agency: https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=44422
  • Also...surely there is an alternative to a big boss fight? Trying to emulate Saren was terrible.
I played through it with an open mind, and came away with the feeling that it was clearly written as a trilogy without understanding that you need a self-contained story too.

I really hope the next entry is good. But man...what a missed opportunity.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Andromeda was a series of good ideas that were terribly executed. Let's ignore the tech issues and look at the world they presented:
  • Only two alien species. Are you telling me that however many years of pre-production couldn't allow more than two?
  • A complete sidelining of your sibling, which was odd considering DA2 handled it reasonably well.
  • Indiscriminately shooting people who are revealed to have had psychotic breaks.
  • The Remnants which are in direct opposition with the central premise of the game. You're there to break new ground and setup in the new galaxy, but half the time you're playing archeologist.
  • None of the main quest lines actually get resolved at the end. Not the Remnant. Not the Scourge. Not the Kett. Not the Benefactor. Not the colonies (which could have also evolved post-game).
  • Side quests that end in a simple text message.
  • No choices that actually matter (except the Kett base). Though I suppose you could argue that ME3's ending started us down this path.
  • The Kett look like Collectors. Why can't villains be attractive too? What if the Remnants were the villains and everyone else was obtaining a false understanding of them? Perhaps the Scourge was caused by them as a Hail Mary cause of their dying empire.
  • The Archon sucks.
  • In a details first world, how does SAM control your body exactly?
  • How does SAM know operate Remnant tech? How does SAM do most things? Space magic. How is he more evolved than EDI too?
  • Everything about Ms. "My Face is Tired" Addison.
  • What Shamus said about agency: https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=44422
  • Also...surely there is an alternative to a big boss fight? Trying to emulate Saren was terrible.
I played through it with an open mind, and came away with the feeling that it was clearly written as a trilogy without understanding that you need a self-contained story too.

I really hope the next entry is good. But man...what a missed opportunity.

My biggest dissapointment with the game is how it didn't do anything with the whole "new, unexplored galaxy" premise.

Andromeda feels exactly the same as Milky Way.

Feb 24, 2018
Personally and I know I've gotten scorn for this, multiverse I felt has always been the best way to do a sequel, not only does that make EVERYONE'S ending canon, even if it's not the future focused on or even just token mention, it could always be used to explore new ideas, gameplay mechanics etc.

I personally liked the idea of making you the last human survivor in the "failed" ending, you're a young adult running for your life on appears to be a fully "alien" world engulfed in sheer horror a living corpse mountains etc (could be revealed as Earth) as over a century has created horrors beyond anything seen in 3. However, you're character learns by surprise they have a gift, to be able to travel to universe to universe, either directly, though portals etc (using the tech the PS5 has been building up in it's hype). This given you the option to explore the Control, Destroy and Synthesis endings 100 years later and show how all three had the positives and negatives.

Feb 24, 2018
My biggest dissapointment with the game is how it didn't do anything with the whole "new, unexplored galaxy" premise.

This, the planet Kadara especially annoyed me for it (the Outcast thing in general I didn't like because it felt like a very weak attempt to recreate the pirates and gangs for ME1 and ME2 despite being a new galaxy and felt cliche and tired), it didn't help that the main story for the planet wasn't that good and the "twist" could be seen from a mile away but didn't allow you to say anything or forced you into things (like getting drunk and make a fool of yourself at the party) that you're own character wouldn't do just to tell it's generic story.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Exactly same, but a whole lot worse and less developed/interesting. It felt abundantly clear that they wanted to keep the status quo, but avoid dealing with the mess of having to address the ME3 ending situation and have to actually pick one. So just hop on a ship and sail 700 years to another galaxy where it's basically just the same, but not even close to being as well crafted or developed.
Personally and I know I've gotten scorn for this, multiverse I felt has always been the best way to do a sequel, not only does that make EVERYONE'S ending canon, even if it's not the future focused on or even just token mention, it could always be used to explore new ideas, gameplay mechanics etc.

I personally liked the idea of making you the last human survivor in the "failed" ending, you're a young adult running for your life on appears to be a fully "alien" world engulfed in sheer horror a living corpse mountains etc (could be revealed as Earth) as over a century has created horrors beyond anything seen in 3. However, you're character learns by surprise they have a gift, to be able to travel to universe to universe, either directly, though portals etc (using the tech the PS5 has been building up in it's hype). This given you the option to explore the Control, Destroy and Synthesis endings 100 years later and show how all three had the positives and negatives.
I've thought of them using some multiverse/infinite realities stuff as just some BS framing device they could use at the start of the game to try and quell stupid fans over the endings and how a new game would have to pick set choices. Basically just saying this is but one outcome of many that could and has occurred. Actual multiverse mechanics and switching realities is a whole other ballgame though. Kind changes the core identity of the series entirely. That's a completely different kind of sci-fi. And personally the last thing I need is yet another BioWare game where the player character is some super special person with a unique ability or special role.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect is both one of the most magical game universes out there and also one of the most tainted. I don't envy them trying to make a new one.

What made Mass Effect great was equal parts story and worldbuilding, and the discovery inherent in that first game, the imagination that went into the universe, was palpable, and it carried them through three games where the story got increasingly worse (note, only the story, the writing in 2 especially is fucking amazing, but the plot goes NOWHERE), but by the end of the series it felt 'done' - they need to make a new game that has that same imagination and discovery, but they are too afraid to distance anything from the lore of the games that came before, which makes it an impossible task.

Andromeda tried, by getting away from the Milky way, but then made like, ONE new race and otherwise just tacked on all the same bullshit we've seen for 3 games already - what was the point? Even if the story had been good (it was serviceable), the actual world feels v ery same old.

Game can never pl,ease everyone, some people want what I want,. which is to recapture that wonder of the original trilogy, and others want to be blanketed in the lore they already invested in, and you can't have both.

It's basically the star wars problem.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
🤮🤢🤮🤢 sorry not sorry

:P
tumblr_o8oei0AA9H1r61mabo2_500.gif

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I liked Peebee too. I also liked Sera a lot. Call me crazy.

Peebee, Drack and Vetra were mostly decent and enjoyable.

Liam, Cora and Jaal made me want to die. The memory of Liam and Jaal shirtless may one day end up actually killing me. Angarans in general look like cats with giant neck tumors. Female Angarans were exceptionally offensive as they were so painstakingly made "attractive" and feminine looking with their super delicate features and much larger eyes.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
You can't ignore the tech issues. They're literally half the reason why the game was slapped together in 18 months, which is why every single one of your problems exists.

The other reason why the game was slapped together in 18 months was the problems in project management that resulted in Mac Walters (a writer) being forced to oversee a game development project because no one else was available.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
You can't ignore the tech issues. They're literally half the reason why the game was slapped together in 18 months, which is why every single one of your problems exists.

The other reason why the game was slapped together in 18 months was the problems in project management that resulted in Mac Walters (a writer) being forced to oversee a game development project because no one else was available.

I would only partly agree with you. Good writing is not dependent on having your tech sorted out. Sure, the implementation might be rough. But that's it.

We have many examples of games that were janky but the good writing shone through. Bloodlines and KOTOR2 are such examples. While the tech issues are not as egregious, you don't walk around scratching your head half the time.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I would only partly agree with you. Good writing is not dependent on having your tech sorted out. Sure, the implementation might be rough. But that's it.
From what I understood of the Jason Schrier article on Andromeda, the writing never got out of the initial concept stages until the final 18 months because the scale of the game kept changing and they were banging their head against the wall of "procedural generated, but high quality" quests. Which again ties into the tech and project management problems, because the only reason they didn't just go back to the trilogy style hub worlds or commit to a set number of handcrafted open worlds earlier in the project was because the director wanted to do No Man's Sky when the engine couldn't handle procedural generation and no one in Bioware studio management told them to knock it off until it was too late.

Andromeda was a cascade failure of bad ideas in preproduction not being dropped fast enough, leading to a rushed production cycle, leading to a mediocre at best video game.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's so disheartening to see people who are so weary of a new Mass Effect game. I get it though, the end of 3 and Andromeda left a lot of sour yellow notes in peoples minds.

I myself can't help but to be excited. It's a goddamn new Mass Effect game! I think they will have learned from their mistakes and this one will be back to form.

I just want to get lost in its world and lore.

Preatorian60

Nov 19, 2020
Really looking forward to this, I actually really enjoyed Andromeda though it was the only Mass Effect game that I didn't end up in a romance with anybody. I wouldn't mind if they had better companion writers in the future game, nobody really grasped me like the OG cast did. Inquisition also had this issue to me, Sera was amazing though, sadly I could just be her friend because I was a dude but it's good to promote platonic friendships amongst everyone!