• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The teaser of the new mass effect looks good and I can't wait to experience the space game with those new SSD. I just hope it's better than the game Andromeda.
EmO402CXUAgdrN3

The first three games resulted in one of my all time favorite trilogies and I want BioWare to return to form. Do we know who is involved with this new ME compared to the Andromeda team?
The team leads haven't been officially announced but I think people will be very happy when they are. I can't wait to see this game progress.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If one of them is Walters then you do not know this forum at all, lol.

Also another one is Mike Gamble for sure right?
I actually don't know if Walters is on it, so if he is I didn't mean him. But yeah Gamble's one, he's project director (per his bio). When they say "veterans" as the blog says, they really mean OGs from the trilogy. At least from the ones I know. I can't wait.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
If one of them is Walters then you do not know this forum at all, lol.

Also another one is Mike Gamble for sure right?

I don't think it's only this forum. Most ME fans would instantly go "urgh" if he was part of the next ME project, especially in a lead role. If he was just one more writer, I think it would be more tolerable. Personally I hope he stays far away from Mass Effect.

Would love to see Casey Hudson though. Although a lot of people would also have negative rections towards him being involved, I still think he is an extremely talented game developers. He created Mass Effect after all, and directed KoTOR...

Another name that I would love to see return is Christina Norman... ME gameplay was never the same without her.

Other than that, the more people that worked in ME2 the better, especially the leads.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Wonder how early in production the new Mass Effect is. 3 years away from release? 5 years?

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
GMs typically don't take on lead project roles at AAA studios right?
Right, they're more big picture stuff. But there's a bit of a unique relationship there with Casey and Mass Effect. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a bit more input on it than a typical GM. It really is his baby, you can imagine a strong push to bring back the series from him.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Wonder how early in production the new Mass Effect is. 3 years away from release? 5 years?
Probably at least 3 years away, I remember feeling like they announced Andromeda way to early, felt like an eternity by the time the game came out. I honestly wish they just announced the remaster and left the announcement for the new one a secret until they have something to actually show...

Oct 30, 2017
Based off absolutely nothing, I'd say at least 2 years for DA4. So at least 4 years for ME. I don't think they're going to have two full active teams doing two games at the same time. There's going to be a lot of overlap especially leading up to DA launch.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, they're more big picture stuff. But there's a bit of a unique relationship there with Casey and Mass Effect. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a bit more input on it than a typical GM. It really is his baby, you can imagine a strong push to bring back the series from him.
I thought about and I'm gonna guess that Preston is on this one as well right? He's one of those old guard BW dudes that people never talk about but assume have left.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Based off absolutely nothing, I'd say at least 2 years for DA4. So at least 4 years for ME.

I would add a year to ME. We haven't seen any signs they have cleared up their mess of a production pipeline and I have to imagine they are all hands on deck for DA and the anthem relaunch. Don't forget they are still supporting the star wars mmo.

Whatever the next ME is I fully expect it to be incredibly safe.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hopefully Weekes is lead writer on the new entry. Please take him away from Dragon Age.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Probably at least 3 years away, I remember feeling like they announced Andromeda way to early, felt like an eternity by the time the game came out. I honestly wish they just announced the remaster and left the announcement for the new one a secret until they have something to actually show...
I am also not expecting it to be ready earlier than in late 2023 - 2024. The wait will be long.
I guess bioware just loves announcing their sequels super early.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The team leads haven't been officially announced but I think people will be very happy when they are. I can't wait to see this game progress.
I know you can't name names, but do you see any of the leads on Dragon Age who worked on the ME Trilogy going back to the next Mass Effect, or their case is similar to how Mike Laidlaw helped on the first ME, but then focused entirely on DA until he left?

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
As long as they don't waste 4 years prototyping procedurally generated nonsense things should be good. I can't believe they blew all that dev time on something for Andromeda they didnt even end up using.

HypnoToad344

Jul 11, 2020
I hope they at least put in a little bit of work to "smooth out" the ME1 experience. And if they don't clean up the long standing bugs like ME3's Ashley Marksman glitch, the studio really isn't worth saving.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
I would add a year to ME. We haven't seen any signs they have cleared up their mess of a production pipeline and I have to imagine they are all hands on deck for DA and the anthem relaunch. Don't forget they are still supporting the star wars mmo.
I think the main dev for The old republic has always been Bioware Austin.
As for Anthem, are we sure they are relaunching it? Seems to be a risky thing to do, considering that it probably takes a lot of work to fix the problems that the game has.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the main dev for The old republic has always been Bioware Austin.
As for Anthem, are we sure they are relaunching it? Seems to be a risky thing to do, considering that it probably takes a lot of work to fix the problems that the game has.
Yes and yes. Lead development on the Anthem rework is at Austin, but a few Edmonton devs who worked on the original game are on the team, too.

Nov 5, 2017
The best way to tease the new game would've been at The Game Awards next month. I agree with you, announce the remaster, and that is it. Leave it at that. Then, surprise fans with a teaser at TGA. Maybe, just play the Mass Effect Theme song and then, like with Nintendo's surprise announcement of BOTW 2, just hover over the words, "The next Mass Effect game is in development, or say it is in early development."

That would've been so hype.....

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the only way I can see a sequel in Andromeda. In fact it can ever be great if properly executed. Something like 50 thousands years after the original game. But the taint might be too strong.
I agree. I was never really excited about Andromeda for a variety of reasons but I still gave it a chance - just bought it a couple months after release when it was cheaper! The main problem with it for me was that it didn't have any of the charm or good writing that the original trilogy had. None of the characters were really interesting or memorable. Love or hate Ashley, people are passionate about how their feelings towards her. I don't think anything can be said about Andromeda's cast. With that said, I also feel where this game is set won't matter in the end if the writing sucks again. The new game being about Shepard surviving ME3 or the first contact war won't automatically be good just because it's back in the milky way (also centering another game on humans would be bad imo).

Nov 5, 2017
That's the only way I can see a sequel in Andromeda. In fact it can ever be great if properly executed. Something like 50 thousands years after the original game. But the taint might be too strong.
I think the taint is too strong. It's like Apple with the iPhone 5c. They aren't going to use that moniker ever again and found that consumers are more receptive of the SE moniker instead....I think Bioware will have to drop the Andromeda name from their Mass Effect games moving forward....

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That tease :)
I know you knew or still do know some people from BioWare, right? If you can talk about that, thus I really appreciate your comment. I want ME to be good again, because during the PS3/360 era it was one of my most played franchise and one of my favorite games. Especially ME2 was awesome with the decisions and story.

Nov 5, 2017
I think we can separate Andromeda from the overall Mass Effect IP. Andromeda died violently and for good (hopefully), and I don't think that was planned in any way. As I mentioned before, the game ends strongly hinting a DLC and the changes they did to the last book had to do with that DLC not happening. Regadless why that happened, it wasn't in Bioware's plans.

The Mass Effect IP definitely didn't have such a final ending, and I think they might have just waited a bit to see the dust settling... Casey talking about the future of the franchise back then was more talk than reality I'd say... for all we know, the next ME game might be no more than a few concepts and ideas being thrown around. But yeah, the IP was never dead for good, personally I was looking for a 10 years hiatus (not counting a possible remaster). But if this game takes some 4 years in development, it will have been "only" 7~8.
It's been already 7-8 years?!?!?? How time files...I was thinking I would have to wait at least until 2030 for the next ME game because of how "done" EA thought Mass Effect was.

I thought they would treat ME the same way they treated SimCity. SimCity has been gone for good long time as well and there is no word that this great city building/city simulation game will ever return....I still play SimCity to this day and it is great game, it might be an unpopular opinion, but I love this game.

The soundtrack is just so soothing...I donno...

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Would love to see Casey Hudson though. Although a lot of people would also have negative rections towards him being involved, I still think he is an extremely talented game developers. He created Mass Effect after all, and directed KoTOR...

Another name that I would love to see return is Christina Norman... ME gameplay was never the same without her.
Casey Hudson is okay at the big picture game stuff. He sucks at anything involving storyline without a writing partner who is willing to tell him things are bad ideas.

Christina Norman is great, but Manveir Heir was pretty good at the gameplay (he did Andromeda) and getting the potential of the IP, even if he was kind of a douche.

I'm not super hyped by Drew Karpyshn coming back, mostly because Mass Effect was my first exposure to him and I found his writing in the first novel to be pretty lacking. Him being behind the Dark Energy ending cemented my opinion of him as not that great.

Honestly, the thing the new game needs most is a writing staff that can just go "Guys, *whatever idea* is stupid and makes no sense if we want to keep the franchise going" during the plot conception phase. Yeah, you definitely need an emphasis on character writing and worldbuilding, but the whole point behind making a sandbox scifi IP is to keep making stuff in that sandbox, which requires not fucking it up with bad overarching plot decisions.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I really disliked Andromeda, but I will say a sequel to that game would inevitably be more interesting than the first because of where that story leaves off. The human Ark crashed on this creepy inside-out planet on the other end of the universe; that's where the first game should have begun, not ended.

Make an Andromeda 2 that actually makes good on the concept of blazing a trail in an uncharted pocket of the galaxy, rather than the bizarre decision to have all the planets already explored and colonized before you even wake up, and I'd probably be interested. It definitely wouldn't be my first choice for a new Mass Effect game, though.

Oct 30, 2017
The best way to tease the new game would've been at The Game Awards next month. I agree with you, announce the remaster, and that is it. Leave it at that. Then, surprise fans with a teaser at TGA. Maybe, just play the Mass Effect Theme song and then, like with Nintendo's surprise announcement of BOTW 2, just hover over the words, "The next Mass Effect game is in development, or say it is in early development."

That would've been so hype.....

I dont want any information before its a year from launch. Id be more than happy not hearing about it until then. Unless they plan on actually showing substantial updates on a regular basis. Otherwise, no thank you.

Nov 5, 2017
I dont want any information before its a year from launch. Id be more than happy not hearing about it until then. Unless they plan on actually showing substantial updates on a regular basis. Otherwise, no thank you.

When I made my statement, I was thinking with the assumption that Bioware took the decision that they would announce that they are working on the next Mass Effect game, this year. So with that assumption, I think, it would've been better to announce it at TGA.

However, you can make a strong argument that in the past, when Bioware did announce the next ME game, they did it when the game was just it's very early pre-production stages and wasn't well-received with us, the fans and that it would've been better if they just kept quiet until they had something more substantial to show off.

Nov 5, 2017
Man, when I hear that original theme song, it just brings so much nostalgia to me.....

It was the 1st AAA PC game I ever played and I will never forget my experience beating Saren for the 1st time....

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. I was never really excited about Andromeda for a variety of reasons but I still gave it a chance - just bought it a couple months after release when it was cheaper! The main problem with it for me was that it didn't have any of the charm or good writing that the original trilogy had. None of the characters were really interesting or memorable. Love or hate Ashley, people are passionate about how their feelings towards her. I don't think anything can be said about Andromeda's cast. With that said, I also feel where this game is set won't matter in the end if the writing sucks again. The new game being about Shepard surviving ME3 or the first contact war won't automatically be good just because it's back in the milky way (also centering another game on humans would be bad imo).

My thoughts exactly in regards to the writing and characters...it felt soulless. There is a sort of charm and charisma the original characters had that made this one of my favorite franchises ever.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am super hyped.. but I do wish we got more than a teaser trailer.

Think maybe we'll see it at TGA?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Ok... So is this going to be the same writer/director again? Because if so.... I dont know.... Man... I dunno.

Edit: just saw above about the new team leads... That's a nice thing to hear. Hopefully it pans out.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
It's sucks we got so few (good) traditional Bioware games this gen.

Just DA Inquisition at the VERY beginning of the generation (I didn't even know it had 360/PS3 version until fairly recently), Mass Effect Andromeda which was a disappointment (and no DLC), and then Anthem which wasn't even a "Bioware" style narrative game and was possibly an even bigger blunder than Andromeda.

But before the XB1/PS4 we got the entire ME trilogy, DA: Origins+Awakenings+2 (2/3 good!), along with a bunch of solid DLC.

Hopefully this coming generation will be better, we're getting this remaster early on, a new DA, and a new Mass Effect, and hopefully we can get at least one sequel for one or both of them this generation.
And maybe even Anthem will be brought back to life.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I am super hyped.. but I do wish we got more than a teaser trailer.

Think maybe we'll see it at TGA?
Unfortunately I doubt it. I think I saw that their press release said there would be more info "in the new year"

That being said... Best N7 Day EVER. I am ready to pour another several hundred hours into this trilogy. Back in the day I did a playthrough of the first one for each of the paths, and one where I just chose what I felt at the time. Then when 2 came out, I did two new playthroughs for each of the extremes for both 1 and 2, and then stuck with my "self" playthrough for my main. I also did a couple playthroughs of the first two with my best friend where we would play simultaneously and identically while voice chatting, and I'm sure there are more playthroughs I don't specifically remember because I played the first two so much. Then for 3 I started a new main playthrough from the beginning of ME1....

I have no idea how many hours I've spent in Mass Effect, but it's easily one of my most played series ever and the original is up there on single games. But, I still don't know the specifics of the ending...I couldn't force my way through the end of 3 even though I'm pretty sure I was about 30 minutes from the ending. I've successfully avoided major spoilers for 8 years and I intend to keep it that way. I mean I get that it was all distilled down into 3 choices where nothing you've done before matters at all, but that was Mass Effect 3 in general and that's about all I know. Even if it's just a barebones remaster, I'm 100% psyched for this.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately I doubt it. I think I saw that their press release said there would be more info "in the new year"

That being said... Best N7 Day EVER. I am ready to pour another several hundred hours into this trilogy. Back in the day I did a playthrough of the first one for each of the paths, and one where I just chose what I felt at the time. Then when 2 came out, I did two new playthroughs for each of the extremes, and then stuck with my main one. Then for 3 I started a new main playthrough from the beginning. I also did a couple playthroughs of the first two with my best friend where we would play simultaneously and identically while voice chatting.

I have no idea how many hours I've spent in Mass Effect, but it's easily one of my most played series ever and the original is up there on single games. I still don't know the specifics of the ending...I couldn't force my way through the end of 3 even though I'm pretty sure I was about 30 minutes from the ending. I've successfully avoided major spoilers for 8 years and I intend to keep it that way. I mean I get that it was all distilled down into 3 choices where nothing you've done before matters at all, but that was Mass Effect 3 in general and that's about all I know. Even if it's just a barebones remaster, I'm 100% psyched for this.
Good point with that quote. I guess we'll just have to be a little patient to see the game running.

And I'm right there with you regarding the games - they're probably the games I've replayed the most, something I'm actually not fond of doing 99% of the time but I could spend hours walking around and talking to everyone and just.. absorbing the world and everything that it offers. I am looking forward to replaying each game over and over again, I never beat them 100% but this time I intend to!

This was by far the best N7 day, though looking at past ones that's not hard to do - but I watched both livestreams and it was a ton of fun. With the assurance that the next ME game is indeed in development I am cautiously optimistic about the future of the franchise.. though I will say that I did not hate Andromeda like most.

Bring it on!

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I am so friggen excited the more I think about it. Gah I can't fucking wait to dive back into this trilogy with the remaster. I never played all the dlc for 2 and 3 and I am fucking pumped to see some new (to me) stuff while replaying some classic ass video games.

Legit this and the Biden win salvaged a bit of the year for me. Some good stuff to look forwards to next year at long last! Don't even get me started on a new Mass Effect game either. I am hoping for either a new game staring Shepard (cause I miss em and I miss the crew) or a brand new thing. Don't really wanna see a new thing with Andromeda unless It is a bit of a wild departure from the first game. Wasn't really a fan of the new races or the general setting of that game. Though if the team is gonna go at it at 100% then I'm willing to give it another shot

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost certain the characters shown off in the Legendary Edition trailer are updated models, either made for the trailer or demonstration of what the new models will look like. They have a number of telltale signs; not quite clean or detailed enough to be CGI, UE3-like lighting particularly on normal and specular maps, and mainly polygonal and texture seams/edges that are present in the original models.

Mordin's model is the biggest giveaway. It has the exact texture seam as the original, where the neck/head doesn't align with the body and the red stripe is offset a little.

1q3jip.jpg

But a number of the models also have improvements. They're all higher poly and have a lot of the curved edges smoothed out. The textures are all updated pretty significantly, by the looks of things, with added normal mapping for extra detail. Some new aesthetic choices too, see the specular/reflective surface on Mordin's neckguard that is not there in the original model.

They're not fancy enough for me to assume they're specialised CGI models, and have some of the original blemishes. But they're also improved over the originals in pretty obvious ways; cleaner, smoother, more detailed. I'm gonna assume these are in fact the new character models. Fancily lit for this specific trailer, but nevertheless probably representative of updated assets.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it stays in the Andromeda galaxy. Even if people didn't like Andromeda, story-wise the Bioware team has more room to work with imo.