• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The article is is wrong. The original Mass Effect was never released on PS3 due to it being published by Microsoft. Once EA purchased Bioware the series moved multiplatform, but the first was always exclusive to 360.

YjM3YjVmZDVhODQ5OWUxNTkyOTNlN2EyOTJkMzhmMzVKy5CSC3Wht7M2aoX7BQHGaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZmU2MDg2N2M3YjQwNTYyMTYyMTEwZGI4YjVjNjFkMWJlOGY1YmUzNjYxMDlmZTNlYTRjNzI3MWQ0ZjI2YzNmMC5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTR4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Those are the two bad, creatively bankrupts, choices. A good choice, and only respectable choice, would be to just make a sequel set some time after ME3 where they pick an ending and really go with it and explore it and are not afraid because some man children will cry and moan about their ending choice not being respected.

All of 3's endings suck anyway, so it's not like there's a good choice to pick.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I still haven't played ME other than a few hours of the first one even though I've bought them all a few times, this time, this time it's gonna happen!

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the first scene of the sequel is the Normandy showing up and destroying the Tempest, all crew members on board.

arNkk9g.gif

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I mean, maybe? EA is notoriously temperamental with studios, like most of the big publishers, and effortlessly guts franchises from a regular portfolio if they stop performance. Andromeda didn't do absolutely terribly, but it did not meet critical or commercial goals as far as I'm aware, and did not ignite a love for the series like the trilogy did, leading to plans of sequels getting totally scrapped alongside all single player post-launch content (that was planned too) binned. BioWare's additional failures with Anthem would have surely put the studio in a fickle position with EA and the future of anything they do under scrutiny.

Dragon Age 4 makes sense. Inquisition reviewed and sold well, and sustained a fanbase through well received post launch DLC. But I don't think it's unreasonable for people to have assumed any future for Mass Effect was in jeopardy.

People assumed Mass Effect was dead because they didn't release any DLCs and they moved the BioWare Montreal team to EA Motive, but, despite middling reception, Andromeda did good financially.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
-Prequel, probably during or shortly after the First Contact War.
They already ruled that out before making Andromeda.
-Sequel, so far in the future that events from previous games are just "legends". Think BOTW.
The synthesis ending fucks everything up if you try to go that route. You could handle a control/destroy ending split with just dialogue, but synthesis is too big and setting changing to do Bioware's patented "minor difference" narrative splitting.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Yaaaaaaaaasssss. New mass effect!!

I'll only get the remaster if they fixed the god awful gameplay in the first. It was unplayable. Give it the gameplay of the third and im down. With all the DLCs it would be a great purchase.

Yakumo Fuji

Apr 22, 2019
Absolutely did not expect a new game announcement at this time.

Anyway, excited to replay the game in Legendary edition - whenever it comes out.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm actually happy the original 3 are not really getting changed except for fps/resolution/shadows etc..

That is a day 1 purchase for me!

Also I am glad they're getting another chance with the franchise.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
All of 3's endings suck anyway, so it's not like there's a good choice to pick.
It's not about the quality of the endings themselves so much as what they can make of their after effects. Destroy offers up plenty of interesting possibilities without radically having to change things like you would with Synthesis or Control.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about the endings themselves so much as what they can make of their after effects. Destroy offers up plenty of interesting possibilities without radically having to change things like you would with Synthesis or Control.

Destroy is still an ending where Shepard committed literal genocide on an entire sentient species just to get rid of the bad guys, though. Fuck the Destroy ending.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Real curious to see how those changes look, especially for the first game. Not sure if I'm chomping to replay the trilogy right now, but I'm sure to want to give them another spin at some point!

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Destroy is still an ending where Shepard committed literal genocide on an entire sentient species just to get rid of the bad guys, though. Fuck the Destroy ending.
I guess there's always the "refuse" ending....although...that doesn't quite go well lol.

I think it's pretty clear that the team wanted players to go with the synthesis(?) ending, but fuck that noise. I'm not listening to some random starchild after having a 5 minute conversation with him.

Oct 26, 2017
A new Mass Effect sounds interesting...I wonder where they would go. Prequel? Andromeda sequel? Entirely new Andromeda-esque game with an entirely new cast? I'm interested to see where it will eventually go!

In regards to the Legendary Edition, I'll definitely get it and re-live the old games! No ME3 multiplayer is disappointing, as my only ME multiplayer experience was with Andromeda, and while it was good, I hear that ME3's was...well, "legendary".

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Is this coming via a blog post/tweet of a trailer? I see some talks elsewhere and on twitter regarding a "live panel". Which would be news to me? DO we know what is planned for today? I have a feeling a random blog post from EA directly / Bioware with a trailer is all that is happening. And article blog details.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
Excited to replay the trilogy. Less so about the new game. I want to be excited for the new game but Bioware and EA give me no reason to be excited. I do not trust the frat house like atmosphere at BIoware that has been reported and EA doesn't know how to support their fucking studious. Too busy giving money to FIFA and broken Madden games.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
Nice. Hi res textures of 360 games...is a choice. Was hoping for something even more than that but okay..

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I never thought I'd see the day we'd get a new Mass Effect after how poorly Andromeda was received. I'm so glad I was wrong!

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Yeah I'm not going to get excited for a new game until I see footage.

And then wait for reviews.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I guess there's always the "refuse" ending....although...that doesn't quite go well lol.

"We gave you three terrible choices. You don't want to pick one of our three terrible choices? Here's a fourth one, lol"

God I loathe ME3. Every single bit of goodwill the series built up was OBLITERATED by that miserable endgame. Like the writers literally going "fuck you for putting in effort playing our games".

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah so no details about how they've fixed ME1 is very concerning. Hopefully the full blog can confirm it. Waiting this long for a goddamn upres is just pathetic.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
People assumed Mass Effect was dead because they didn't release any DLCs and they moved the BioWare Montreal team to EA Motive, but, despite middling reception, Andromeda did good financially.

Sure, I know. It underperformed critically, but did fine financially. I remember it having bad legs though or something. It's more a combination of these things; not quite meeting the mark of the trilogy, in addition to other issues at BioWare and other project failures. AFAIK there was intention to make more of the Andromeda story, and EA ultimately wanted to pull the plug on the whole thing.

So I think the cynicism was a response to all of these factors combined; Andromeda's future cut off at the knees (both sequels and DLC), alongside BioWare's floundering. These games cost a lot of money and time to make.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The best part for me is a new Mass Effect in development.

Remasters are nice, but I've already played all of them multiple times. 3 times at least, even the 3rd one.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to know who those veterans are and why they would willingly make themselves have to deal with Mass Effect fans.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
Andromeda 2 please, liked where it was going, but if its a sequel then that too would be cool but hope the remaster is good compared to EA's latest attempts.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
i hope it's more than just the originals with HD mods slapped on top. i can do that myself for free :/