• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
S-tier: Garrus, Javik, Solas, HK-47

A-tier: Varric, Vivienne, Morrigan, Dorian, Liara, Wrex
B-tier: Mordin, Thane, Shale, Cassandra, Jolee Bindo, Alistair, Ashley, Legion, Isabella
C-tier: Leliana, Miranda, Samara, Tali, Jacob, Grunt, James Vega, Bastilla Shan, Cora, EDI, Drack

D-tier: Jack, Wynne, Oghren, Aveline, Kaidan, Kasumi, Carth Onasi, Canderous Ordo, Iron Bull, Bethany Hawke

E-tier: Vetra, Zaeed, Anders, Sten, Zevran, Merill, Carver Hawke, Blackwall, Cole, Sera, Juhani, Mission Vao, Jaal

F-tier: Liam, Fenris, Peebee

Games included: Mass Effect & Dragon Age trilogies, Andromeda and Kotor. Apologies if i missed someone. There are a few DLC characters i havent included.

The difference between S tier and A tier for me is mostly the "X-factor", where S tier characters besides having engaging dialogue and being well written, have a gimmick to them that is executed well, thus making them unique. So while I might personally prefer the personality of some A-tier characters, S-tier characters offer an additional dimension, with the possible exception of Garrus, who bypasses this requirement simply by being extra awesome.

Tiers S through C are positive tiers; these are characters that end up on a net positive all things considered. D tier is the indifference tier, where they really didnt sway me one way or another, all told. E-tier is dislike/boredom tier, and F-tier is just awful. Cringeworthy, annoying, edgy, you name it.

I thought about including Baldurs Gate companions, but it has been so many years since I played those games that I cant really remember many of the finer details concerning most of them. Besides, the list is already cluttered enough as it is.
If I had to rank the few I remember well, Id put Minsc in B tier, Edwin, Anomen, Keldorn and Jan in C. Jaheira, Imoen, Nalia in D. I suspect most of them havent aged well enough to reach the highest tiers for me.

I'd love to see how the rest of ERA would rank the companions in past Bioware games!

P.s. James Vega and Jacob are actually pretty decent characters.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Jolee Bindo a B-tier? A B-TIER!?!

200.gif

garrus is still best though

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
As a femshep player... Jacob in c- tier... Absolutely not... Z-tier... Go in the air ducts and get shot in face.. he does volunteer after all

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Miranda pretty definitively sweep a recent "best ME2 companion" thread?

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ashley is A-tier and EDI is C-tier? Get out of here with that shit.

I'm only doing Mass Effect because...I don't have a way to end that thought.

S-Tier - Garrus, Mordin, Liara, EDI, Wrex, Javik
A-Tier - Tali, Jack, Miranda, Thane, Legion, Grunt, Kasumi
B-Tier - Samara, Ashley, Kaidan, James, Zaeed, Jacob
C-tier - Non Mass Effect companions

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Baldur's Gate robbed. Minsc and Boo stand ready! Also Tali at c-tier? You monster...

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who does not have Mordin, Shale and Allistair in their S-Tier deserves to be shunned.

Also, we need to create a FFF-Tier for Jacob.

I still cannot believe how dirty they did the only brother you can have as a companion.

OP
OP
Loanshark

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Ashley is A-tier and EDI is C-tier? Get out of here with that shit.

I'm only doing Mass Effect because...I don't have a way to end that thought.

S-Tier - Garrus, Mordin, Liara, EDI, Wrex, Javik
A-Tier - Tali, Jack, Miranda, Thane, Legion, Grunt, Kasumi
B-Tier - Samara, Ashley, Kaidan, James, Zaeed, Jacob
C-tier - Non Mass Effect companions

EDI as a companion from Me3 is C-tier. I think she was better as the on ship AI with a wicked & slightly alarming sense of humor. She was still pretty good with a body mind you, but I wasnt really sold with the whole Joker/EDI dynamic in 3.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I generally like most of Bioware's party companions across the various series, but... Kaiden, Carth, Sten, Jacob, Zevran- you all suck, and are the worst, get back to the party camp/ship and STFU, you aren't ever joining the party unless the game's plot forces me. ;)

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
S. Garrus, Viconia, HK-47, Solas, Morrigan, Mordin
A. Tali, Alistair, Leliana, Cassandra, Wrex, Wild Flower, Blackwall, Javik
B. Thane, Isabela, Varric, Liara, Jaheira, Silk Fox, Bastila, Jolee, Minsc
C. A whole buncha good characters

Z. Carth, Anomen, Dawn Star, Jacob, EDI as a squadmate

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads SWORDS FOR EVERYONE.

Minsc has aged fine and is very impressive for the time. He doesnt get old over lets conservatively say close to 150 hours of gameplay.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
op is largely wrong but at least they recognise that fenris sucks

can't be bothered to rank all of them but my top tier (dragon age + me trilogy) is:

alistair theirin, carver hawke, dorian pavus, leliana, zevran arainai, cassandra pentaghast, merrill, isabela, sebastian vael, kaidan alenko, garrus vakarian, liara t'soni

OP
OP
Loanshark

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
S. Garrus, Viconia, HK-47, Solas, Morrigan, Mordin
A. Tali, Alistair, Leliana, Cassandra, Wrex, Wild Flower, Blackwall, Javik
B. Thane, Isabela, Varric, Liara, Jaheira, Silk Fox, Bastila, Jolee, Minsc
C. A whole buncha good characters

Z. Carth, Anomen, Dawn Star, Jacob, EDI as a squadmate
I found that Anomen's annoying disposition was a feature and not a bug, unlike with someone like Carth Onasi.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
It's a shame you can't include Obsidian in this, because while Canderous is most definitely D tier Mandalore is most definitely a B+ at least. Man, the writing in KOTOR II really was something.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
my-image-3_2.png

Infallible list, lock the thread
Tiermaker didn't have Kotor, put HK47 into S tier, Bastila into A, rest are meh

OP
OP
Loanshark

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
op is largely wrong but at least they recognise that fenris sucks

can't be bothered to rank all of them but my top tier (dragon age + me trilogy) is:

alistair theirin, carver hawke, dorian pavus, leliana, zevran arainai, cassandra pentaghast, merrill, isabela, sebastian vael, kaidan alenko, garrus vakarian, liara t'soni
Carver Fucking Hawke in the top tier?!

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Anders should be in a tier all by himself.

Because no one is as trash as Anders.

edit: And where the hell is Sagacious Zu on anyone's list? The Jade Empire disrespect.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to introduce a tier that's reserved for the bland human male companion and shove Carth, Kaidan and Jacob into it.