• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Well, as shitty as this all is... I was probably going to download Borderlands for quick access anyhow. And in Bioshock's case, I'll be able to offload the extra download when I'm done playing through them. I just hope it's possible to download content piecemeal there so that I can play through them one at a time.

Overall I'm just glad to see these games coming, and am excited to return to them and have them always within reach in portable mode. Here's hoping the ports deliver.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Infinite runs well, that game has absolutely stunning art, world design and atmosphere.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Lmaooo

" "The physical game contains an 16GB cartridge including the opening acts of BioShock Remastered, BioShock 2 Remastered, and BioShock Infinite: The Complete Edition. Later game contents and add-ons will need to be downloaded." "
We have 32 GB cards that exist and developers can actually invest in at this point. Bioshock games aren't massive, nor are the Borderlands games by any stretch of the imagination even with DLC, especially when they'll have less intensive textures and files in general due to being ported to a weaker system. It's just 2K being scummy as usual when it comes to their Switch releases.

Bioshock is over 70GB ON Xbox one. Explain how to get that onto a single switch cart. Or do you expect 2? And you want the pricier 32GB carts with a $49.99 price?

Lets be realistic.

TheBarbarian

Oct 30, 2017
XCOM ON SWITCH HELL YES

I don't post here very often so I miss new regularly. Still, I check in occasionally just to see if there have been any Xcom to Switch announcements. Some good news today!

Also I love Bioshock lol

Aug 12, 2019
User warned: "lazy devs" rhetoric
Bioshock is over 70GB ON Xbox one. Explain how to get that onto a single switch cart. Or do you expect 2? And you want the pricier 32GB carts with a $49.99 price?

Lets be realistic.

Those games compress considerably with non ultra HD textures and most companies are just lazy as fuck when it comes to compression anyway, so those high numbers are not always indicative of a "true total." Every single Bioshock was one disc on last generation on the 360, which means we're talking less than 24 GB total. This is absolutely something that could have been done with more work and effort, and if they're charging $50 for their collection, it sure as hell should be using the pricier carts because the collection still retails for like $20 max these days elsewhere.

This isn't some ridiculous ask.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It gets far worse.

6uQGARN.png
WELP, guess I'll go with my original plan of getting the Pre-sequel on Ps3.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Not gonna lie, Borderlands was always in the top of my port-begging list. Playing them on the go will bĂŞ amazing. Def day one for me!

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I'm fine with the download as long as it's not a code inside the box.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with the download as long as it's not a code inside the box.

Same. We are in year 4 of the Switch. This is well known at this point. The Spyro Collection was the same. I can lend that out which makes it a much better product physically.

If you prefer physical media for preservation purposes you arent getting that on the Switch. It is what it is.

Oct 25, 2017
Interested in Borderlands and BioShock (agian) but I have two concerns:

1.) How will these games run on Switch? How will they play and look in handheld mode?
2.) I am not paying $50 for BioShock again lol. I will wait for a sale or price drop.

I don't care that the full set of games isn't on cart. I knew that was never really feasible.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Those games compress considerably with non ultra HD textures and most companies are just lazy as fuck when it comes to compression anyway, so those high numbers are not always indicative of a "true total." Every single Bioshock was one disc on last generation on the 360, which means we're talking less than 24 GB total. This is absolutely something that could have been done with more work and effort, and if they're charging $50 for their collection, it sure as hell should be using the pricier carts because the collection still retails for like $20 max these days elsewhere.

These aren't the 360 versions with 0 alterations. Even if they could cut the size in half for simple remasters that wont sell tons they wont take a loss that big. There also isn't anyone using 32GB carts for $50 games.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
These are all but certainly going to be the worst place to play those games, except for maybe Borderlands 2 vita (lol). I hear XCOM 2 runs like a dog on PS4/Xbone (and the PC version isn't exactly far behind) so I don't have high hopes for the Switch version, especially on handheld. Plus imagine end-game WOTC soldiers with like a dozen active abilities on the hotbar on a handheld.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm in for Borderlands but I wish I could buy just Bioshock 2 as that's the only one of those I've yet to fully play (well that and the Infinite DLCs but I've not heard great things).

I'm shite at strategy games of all kinds so XCOM 2 is a complete no-go. I found Mario & Rabbids hard, I know for sure I wouldn't be able to handle that.

Bartis

Dec 30, 2017
Portable Xcom 2 is very tempting, turnbased and portable are a good match. Unfortunately, I'm pretty worried about performance...

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Lmaooo

" "The physical game contains an 16GB cartridge including the opening acts of BioShock Remastered, BioShock 2 Remastered, and BioShock Infinite: The Complete Edition. Later game contents and add-ons will need to be downloaded." "
And worst of all...

So basically, physical demos with one-time use DLC codes to unlock the full game? Or perhaps just DLC.

I guess that's one way to make sure your games can't be resold.

Clever, but also incredibly malicious.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
If Blind Squirrel are handling these ports, abandon all hope
The Bioshock one is being made by Virtuos!!

I also hated the Collection on consoles due to the terrible job by Blind Squirrel. They've butchered the visuals while also deliveeing terrible performance.

I'm pretty sure that Virtuos will just be porting the terrible collection and its changes to the Switch, but I'm hopeful that at least they will get the performance right

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
The Bioshock one is being made by Virtuos!!

I also hated the Collection on consoles due to the terrible job by Blind Squirrel. They've butchered the visuals while also deliveeing terrible performance.

I'm pretty sure that Virtuos will just be porting the terrible collection and its changes to the Switch, but I'm hopeful that at least they will get the performance right
Ah fuck

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018

So they should do more work and charge even less?

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I'm saying a $50 collection of games that are 7-13 years old at this point should be on the cart when they could absolutely fit on there, yes. This shouldn't be controversial or a huge ask.

But they can't all fit on a cart. That's a fact. It's 3 games. Remastered. They will not fit on a cart. They will not fit on the biggest 32GB cart. They are charging $50, not $60, which is about $16 a game.

Aug 12, 2019
But they can't all fit on a cart. That's a fact. It's 3 games. Remastered. They will not fit on a cart. They will not fit on the biggest 32GB cart. They are charging $50, not $60, which is about $16 a game.

Yes, they can fit! DOOM was 70 GB on other platforms and it released as a 16 GB cart with an 8 GB download for the multiplayer. You can absolutely compress data down and you don't have to worry about as much space because you aren't as worried about as high quality textures as you would be with a PC release with 4K support! Listen to me for crying out loud instead of just being intransigent about the fact they "can't fit on the cart" when these games fit on 360 discs originally and didn't have that much DLC to send the numbers soaring. They're all 3 fairly linear shooters from last generation, this is not impossible with compression in mind.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Yes, they can fit! DOOM was 70 GB on other platforms and it released as a 16 GB cart with an 8 GB download for the multiplayer. You can absolutely compress data down and you don't have to worry about as much space because you aren't as worried about as high quality textures as you would be with a PC release with 4K support! Listen to me for crying out loud instead of just being intransigent about the fact they "can't fit on the cart" when these games fit on 360 discs originally and didn't have that much DLC to send the numbers soaring. They're all 3 fairly linear shooters from last generation, this is not impossible with compression in mind.

DOOM is one game, this is 3. It can not fit on cart. It will not fit on a 32GB cart at retail for $50.

Studios want to make money, not provide a charity.

Aug 12, 2019
DOOM is one game, this is 3. It can not fit on cart. It will not fit on a 32GB cart at retail for $50.

Studios want to make money, not provide a charity.

What are you on about? The number of games has nothing to do with this and they could charge $60 if it was a problem to have it all on cart or they could charge $50 and put them all on the cart because you'd still be making profit and paying for the port job. DOOM was harder to port and required much more work because of the hardware change if anything. I'm saying the entirety of Bioshock fit on 4 Xbox 360 discs back in 2013, which is exactly 32 GB if all the space on those discs were fully used and no compression was done.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not this download bullshit. i would have been interested in the bioshock collection if all three games were on cart, but meh. skipping.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I was gonna get then been than I saw all the Downloads required and my interest dropped to zero. Will wait for bargain bin pricing now to buy them. Come one Capcom, 2K and others. Start using bigger cartridges for your game.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Xcom 2 was a technical disaster on my PS4. I dread to see how it would run on my Switch. I can't even imagine the load times. Hopefully they've done a better job with this version.