• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

Despite launching BioShock Infinite in 2013, Ken Levine's new project remains shrouded in mystery, but the genre, at least, has now been revealed.

According to a job listing for a cinematic narrative scripter, the game is "a creatively ambitious project in the immersive sim genre."

The listing indicates that the successful applicant will be responsible for implementing both scripted and systemic narrative elements. This design ethos aligns with the big piece of information that was already known about the project: that it is intended to represent a new kind of story-led experience based on what Levine has termed "narrative Lego."

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Definitely looking forward to whatever he's bringing to the table.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
actually really liked Infinite... this has been an unbearable wait. "traditionally" you get something to chew on a half decade later

but oh well. when it comes it comes

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised we haven't gotten any new BioShock game from 2K since then. I thought at least that would happen.

Last edited:

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
cool, dishonored, prey and deus ex all are seemingly dead for the time being. we could use it like right now.

I liked Infinite a lot actually so yeah very excited about what he does next.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Levine is kind of a dick, so I'm not particularly hyped to see anything from him, but if his next game ever DOES come out, I guess we'll see.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god. Though I wonder if this game will still revolve around the concept of "narrative legos"?

Edit: Nvm i really need to finish reading the OP before I post lol

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have any sweet scoops, just murmurs I heard from friends associated with Irrational while I was still living in Boston. I heard enough negative stuff piled up about Levine by the time he killed Irrational Games that it kind of made me just write him off as a person.
Yeah, didn't he close it down when nothing bad was happening to it? He just closed it down?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This has been known for a while. Though nice to see some slight signs of life.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, didn't he close it down when nothing bad was happening to it? He just closed it down?

closing down Irrational wasn't his decision, he was actually pretty devastated by it. of all the dick divas in the industry Levine is the last person to come to my mind, but you never really know i guess

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I kinda always hated how the bioshock games were kinda really halfassed the rpgs. hopefully this new game can merge the action and rogue stuff better.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
closing down Irrational wasn't his decision, he was actually pretty devastated by it. of all the dick divas in the industry Levine is the last person to come to my mind, but you never really know i guess

Yeah, wow, I heard COMPLETELY different from that. Especially right around the time the team shut down.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, wow, I heard COMPLETELY different from that. Especially right around the time the team shut down.

i don't doubt there's bad blood in the aftermath of Infinite but brass tacks they went overbudget and didn't give the payoff 2K wanted

i mean, who knows maybe crocodile tears on Levine's part but i think it's the standard 2010s story of troubled development. sometimes it's the product of horrific asshole management but i think they just bit off more than they could chew, it happens

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Well I'm very keen to see what comes of this, and the new Bioshock game. But, one of the biggest appeals of those games was the sublime art direction. Do we know where the people who worked on that side of things at Irrational ended up?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I loved bioshock infinite, im in for anything levine makes. Hopefully the project is made and release sooner rather than later.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm very keen to see what comes of this, and the new Bioshock game. But, one of the biggest appeals of those games was the sublime art direction. Do we know where the people who worked on that side of things at Irrational ended up?

don't know if there's any carryover from art design talent but City of Brass and Void Bastards are products of "Irrational alumnus", if that's anything to go by

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I still don't believe immersive sim is a genre. I've heard people call Deus Ex one but like... Deus Ex is a fucking RPG. Bioshock are shooters with half assed RPG elements. Not enough to classify as a genre imo.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something with the world building of Bioshock and a fully realized immersive sim sounds great. I like Bioshock but to me Prey is far and away the better System Shock successor in that aspect.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't believe immersive sim is a genre. I've heard people call Deus Ex one but like... Deus Ex is a fucking RPG. Bioshock are shooters with half assed RPG elements. Not enough to classify as a genre imo.
Ideally immersive sims should focus on player agency, most problems should have multiple solutions and the solutions should be logical extensions of the simulation and things should be simulated rather than scripted wherever possible.

I don't think most people would really consider the Bioshock games immersive sims. Deus Ex, Dishonored, Prey, and Thief are better examples.

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, interesting. Seem to remember Levine went away from games into another medium after BS:I.
No complains from me though. Immersive sims are always welcome.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I wonder if they'll revive that one city block idea, where they limit their scope to simulating one city building, but simulate it so realistically that they make up that lack of scope with insane amounts of quality. Could work as a midtier game.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda always hated how the bioshock games were kinda really halfassed the rpgs.
There's a pretty explicit difference between immersive sim games and RPGs. There are some shared elements yes but immersive sim is in a very different ballpark.

I don't think you get the immersive sim genre. Deus Ex is 100% pure immersive sim.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
hopefully the CPU jump next gen allows him to fulfill his AI focused narrative ambition

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I wonder if they'll revive that one city block idea, where they limit their scope to stimulating one city building, but simulate it so realistically that they make up that lack of scope with insane amounts of quality. Could work as a midtier game.
The Occupation is almost like that, just a smaller scope but a lot of simulation.