• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Yeah, went from likely buying at launch thanks to good Xbox regional pricing and Series X support, to not touching until at least 75% off, or on Gamepass

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to cancel the Collector's edition I pre-ordered years ago under an Amazon price error, so it'll be here tomorrow.

Hopefully the EA price error goes through and I won't have to open it; I'll just play it on my PC and send it back to Amazon.

That being said, I've been wanting a low stakes action game to play; this just might be it. Maybe. We'll see. After playing the Scarlet Nexus demo over the weekend, that is next on my radar.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I gotta say - this game has me interested. Probably not at full $60 price. But with a couple of patches and a $30 price tag in a few months - I'll check it out. I like the way the game looks at least.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like this small team overscoped, and instead of cutting, just stretched everything thin to make it work.

That's too bad, seemed like a ton of potential here. Just a lot of it unrealized.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews/impressions sound about what I expected. I was already planning to wait for the native PS5 version to come out later on anyways + a sale, but this makes it easier to wait.

Jun 17, 2018
It's a shame that it's not performing as well as I'd hoped but hopefully they can pull enough interest to make a better sequel.

4s and 5s mean it'll be a miss from me though, there's just too many other games I want to play.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Feel bad for the team, clearly a lot of passion went in to this and many years of development. Must be disappointing when it doesn't quite work out at review time (no doubt an understatement). Still has a few good scores though so it is clearly appealing to some critics.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm fine with how this reviews, I'm getting it tomorrow.

But I wonder how one reviewer can say "during my 75 hour long playthrough" and another bashes the game for "its short length".

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Phew, scores are all over the place. I liked what I played at Gamescom two years ago and got in on the $3 deal on PC, so I'll definitely check it out if EA doesn't revoke access. If that happens, I'll get it once it's up for sale.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The game looks fun but I expected it to be divisive to say the least.
Expected it to land more in the 70s regions carried by the outlandish style though.

Haven't read any of the full reviews but the snippets don't seem too off putting to me from the get go. The world seems fun, I don't mind the voice over, what i've seen of the gameplay seems like I'd like it..
That said, it seems to me like a price point around 30-40 would be more fair to what's offered here.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Reviews are fine from what I've read. Think there's enough there to warrant a play through when it's a bit cheaper.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Huh. These all over the place scores are the first thing to get me interested in this game. I'm always in for potentially flawed gems so I'll check it out, seems to be middling enough at worst to not be a complete waste of my money or a few hours.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
This is literally what reviews are for... They give me an informed opinion, and then I decide if I want it or not

Reviews can give you an impression but it's still just another stranger on the internet giving their opinion. It's no better or worse than my own. So chances are, you just had no interest in the game as it is.

What I am trying to say is, we need to bring back the days of being a kid and buying a game because it legitimately looked cool to us and having the times of our lives, regardless of what someone else thought of the game. It's perfectly fine to play and enjoy a 6/10 game. It's okay to take that chance. It's no different than buying a 9/10 game and not liking it.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Still watching a stream and loving what I see. Sure the combat doesn't seem too great. But it has neat ideas, a beautiful world and seems very unique overall.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
😬

I was actually getting a little interested in the Biomutant after the more recent previews but with those reviews I'm going to give a big pass. I have too many other games to play.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Wasn't impressed watching a few different streams and then came here and saw how the scores are playing out. Yeah this is a big pass for me until a deep discount.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews can give you an impression but it's still just another stranger on the internet giving their opinion. It's no better or worse than my own. So chances are, you just had no interest in the game as it is.

What I am trying to say is, we need to bring back the days of being a kid and buying a game because it legitimately looked cool to us and having the times of our lives, regardless of what someone else thought of the game. It's perfectly fine to play and enjoy a 6/10 game. It's okay to take that chance. It's no different than buying a 9/10 game and not liking it.

People grow up, and with age comes a more discerning eye, especially if you're using your own wallet to pay for it. This is also a $60 game...

Not everyone has the time or money for all that, stop policing how people wanna spend their cash lol

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US

I disagree with this part. Over the years many have wasted money because of stuff like that and reviews/streams are now the go-to for early buying. I never want to buy something just based on the premise of what I thought it 'could' be like... I need to what it IS like before I buy.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
The Narrator seems like such a strange choice to me.

The voice actor in particular feels really at odds with the cool world of gun slinging ninja mutants while he constantly describes stuff like he's on a PBS kid's show.

They need to either go full rare speak or have actual characters with dialog in the sequel (game may be reviewing poorly but seems like they're going to make their money back and then some).

Honestly if this game was narrated by Banjo that would be a selling point.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
4/10 from Metro

In Short: It's very pretty but this patchwork of other game's ideas never has enough of its own to keep you interested during the repetitive and overfamiliar open world action.

Pros: Beautiful open world environment is one of the best of the outgoing generation. Crafting system for weapons is neat. Vehicles are fun, even if they do undermine your character's abilities.

Cons: The formulaic mission structure and unexciting, repetitive combat quickly becomes a chore. Terrible storytelling choices distance you from the plot and characters.

Score: 4/10

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/24/biomutant-review-furry-post-apocalypse-14638642/?ito=cbshare

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked the game, my review is localized, just on Serbian.

The First 3-4 hours are real torture, after that everything clicks at around 6-7 hr mark. It's a solid game overall. Especially if you don't give up after the first couple of hours.

Incredible what a team of 20 people did here.

papusman

Sep 25, 2019
I absolutely get where you're coming from. As a kid I randomly got EVO: The Search for Eden, and LOVED it. But I bet if it had been reviewed like modern games it would end up with a 6/10.

The problem now, though, is that there are SO MANY games, and so many legitimately GREAT games, that you have to make choices about where you spend your time and money. It's not like there's 3 games a year coming out.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah they are others opinions but they're also reviews from people whose opinions I tend to value because their interests align with mine.

Idk how young you were when you started "buying" games but when I was a kid I had to beg my parents to either take me to blockbuster or I had to wait for my birthday. That was also when I had all the free time in the world with zero responsibilities and had to essentially force (be grateful) myself to play games I didn't like.

Most people posting in here probably have other obligations and their own families to take care of ,and getting them to spend 60 dollars on a game that is getting subpar reviews isn't really a choice they should consider. Your time is also valuable. So I disagree, taking chances on things you probably won't enjoy isn't okay.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
The more I read these reviews, the more the common message seems to be "this game has all of this presentation that's totally unique, but then it goes and sticks to being a tropy open-world game, 6/10 . Like, the IGN reviewer literally only has a few mildly negative things about the narrator, and then he talks about the open-world design.

I can sort of see the dissappointment when all you play are open-world games all the time.

As someone who usually plays 1 or 2 big open world games a year, I don't have that fatigue. And since Darksiders is one of my favourite series of all time, I don't have the prejudice some seem to have to the "take whatever good parts of other games that work and slap them together into something unique" approach.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
give it to me straight: if i want a mindless open world game with Ubisoft-style combat and character progression and Zelda-style exploration, will I find it?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they are others opinions but they're also reviews from people whose opinions I tend to value because their interests align with mine.

Idk how young you were when you started "buying" games but when I was a kid I had to beg my parents to either take me to blockbuster or I had to wait for my birthday. That was also when I had all the free time in the world with zero responsibilities and had to essentially force (be grateful) myself to play games I didn't like.

Most people posting in here probably have other obligations and their own families to take care of ,and getting them to spend 60 dollars on a game that is getting subpar reviews isn't really a choice they should consider. Your time is also valuable. So I disagree, taking chances on things you probably won't enjoy isn't okay.

This ^ Very well articulated.

It also bears worth repeating that there is no demo and no refund policy on PSN.

Taking a chance after mediocre reviews is not worth it.

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017

Buying? Those days are gone, there's too much content releasing to only buy a handful of titles each year and play/replay them to squeeze the appreciation out. We've long been at a point where some of the highest praise you can give a game is simply taking the time to replay it.

You might have better luck with a subscription, where you can see what holds your interest.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Seems about right. The things I saw on Twitch made me not going to buy it. Maybe gonna get it when it is on discount later.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

One can only realistically do that if they have ample time to waste on what is more likely to be a potentially mediocre experience, or an endless amount of money to throw away to trial and error random games.

As someone who's time is limited, and who's opinions line up with critical reception 90% of the time, unless something looks really appealing to me contrary to negative reviews, or is on a deep sale or something, there's simply no better way to inform myself than reviews, and thus also save myself time and money on experiences I'm far more likely to not love.

Also, reviews aren't really the equivalent of a random impression, because a review is a professional critique that usually goes into far deeper and more comprehensive analysis of a game, and then there's multiple reviews and an aggregate or consensus of sorts to go by too.

Last edited: