• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
biomass2_2xsize.gif

OK, something I need to put up-front before I get into this: I was given a special thanks credit in the game. I did not contribute to the title (nor have any financial stake in it) aside from providing feedback on an early—public—demo and being active in the game's small discord. That credit was not communicated before the game's release and it was a surprise to me; it did not influence the creation of this thread as I had planned making this a couple days back mid-playthrough. I hope my history of trying to highlight smaller titles in threads on this forum gives some confidence to my intentions, but feel free to disregard/report this topic if not.

With that out of the way let's get into that thread title. At the most basic level Biomass takes the linear, but still somewhat open, structure of Metroid Fusion (while expanding on that wonderfully creepy sci-fi dread) with the aggressive pace of combat and world-building of Bloodborne. There's even a good bit of that reactive world that debuted in Demon's Souls where your actions, both obvious and not, impacted the world and NPCs around you.

There is more to the Biomass than the above though, but it gets tricky to talk about it. Much like playing a FROMSOFT title for the first time, mechanics and narrative are often best left to be discovered as you play… which makes it difficult to try and pitch Biomass after having played it. There were genuine surprises that had not been communicated before the game's launch; something I appreciated as the discovery was a big part in "making" the experience for me.

So, for something closer to that "base" knowledge set, the OT was written previous to my playthrough of Biomass and does not include specifics beyond what the (solo) developer of the game released to the public. Give that a look if you're interested, but my replies do mention a couple of things as the topic progresses.

www.resetera.com

[biomass] |OT| Choice & Consequence OT

Platform(s): Windows PC Release Date: PC - October 13th, 2020 Genre: RPG Price: $14.99 (10% launch discount) Player(s): 1 Format: Digital Developer/Publisher: Final Scene dev Size: ~2GB What is Biomass? How does combat work? You are able to use both ranged and melee attacks freely (with...

I do want to knock off a few "quick hits" though:
  • Currently only available on PC.
  • You do not need a wiki to figure out where to go: all about reading your key item text, trying to understand the map design, and talking to NPCs.
  • The Fusion and Bloodborne influences are much stronger than my text might suggest. For an early example: SA-X.
  • The game took me about 10 hours to complete.
  • Combat is pretty straightforward but has some additional depth with how it plays into generating your ability to restore health
  • Yes, there are difficult encounters but nothing impossible.
  • You do have freedom in how the game unfolds.
  • There are multiple weapons with their own playstyle.
  • You can upgrade your character's stats and build a playstyle around it, especially once you get trait-altering mods.
  • There are corpse runs when you die, but they also act as a benefit by giving you iframes and refilling your heal ability when retrieved. Having one in a boss room is a benefit.
  • There is an explicit narrative that is revealed, but much of lore is something you put together yourself as you talk to characters and witness events.
  • The music is also great; the game has a fantastic vibe from start to finish.

And to keep things moderately short, that's it. I know it must seem silly to talk around things to try to keep expectations measured when I also throw around terms like "One of the Best Games of the Year" and dropping two well-loved games in the title. But the discovery that Biomass offered is what made it so special to me; here's hoping more folk consider giving it a shot and experience that discovery for themselves!

Last edited:

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I am confused by all the clashing genres/artstyles.

What is it -- post-apocalyptic/victorian/sci-fi/noir? and then the song has a western feel

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Will keep an eye on, would probably get day 1 if it came to switch. As it stands my laptop is 9 years old and it's so slow I avoid gaming on it as much as possible.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Thank you for the recommendation! I've added to my Wishlist and it actually is probably the next thing I play after Gears Tactics.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I am confused by all the clashing genres/artstyles.

What is it -- post-apocalyptic/victorian/sci-fi/noir? and then the song has a western feel

The song is from a bar you eventually stumble into and the art header is just the main menu screen. Everything in the game itself is quite consistent.

Will keep an eye on, would probably get day 1 if it came to switch. As it stands my laptop is 9 years old and it's so slow I avoid gaming on it as much as possible.

Yeah, I'm sure the game would be right at home on console.

Thank you for the recommendation! I've added to my Wishlist and it actually is probably the next thing I play after Gears Tactics.

🙏

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up poking around Biomass last night for a short while; I had a theory I wanted to test out. Thinking over a late game revelation and how it could be applied to the rest of the world, turns out I was right and got rewarded with some hidden dialog. I love that you still can discover things even after rolling credits, that even after exhausting the critical path(s) you can still see new things on them.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. Read a few Steam reviews and now this is high up on my wishlist.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This thread reminded me of biomutant. What ever happened to that game? Wasn't it supposed to release this year?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Any news of release on other platforms besides PC?

Sounds like it's still in the cards, but the dev is resource limited and the PC version didn't perform well enough to make porting a full-time prospect.

It's REALLY fucking difficult! :)

It starts off that way but once you grasp the systems (clashing to exhaust enemy stamina is key) and level up a bit you can start to steamroll a lot of the opposition. You get a great sense of mastery despite the game's moderately short length.

Last edited:

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Sounds like it's still in the cards, but the dev is resource limited and the PC version didn't perform well enough to make porting a full-time prospect.

It starts off that way but once you grasp the systems (clashing to exhaust enemy stamina is key) and level up a bit you can start to steamroll a lot of the opposition. You get a great sense of mastery despite the game's moderately short length.

I shall boot it up again later and have another stab! I was probably being impatient too.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Boy oh boy that is a thread title that gets me all hot and excited.

It's definitely operating with far less resources than either game (primarily a solo dev effort), but in terms of having you explore locations and learn the world—seeing things evolve as the dread of an unknown force pushes its way to the surface—it hits the notes of the referenced games beautifully.

Last edited:

Skavi

Feb 13, 2018
A friend gifted this to me for Christmas. I was really high on it for the first hour, but holy shit does this game fall off a cliff after the first settlement. I've been completely stuck for a solid hour after
dying three times to a boss fight that despawns because you can't win
with absolutely no clue where to go after.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
A friend gifted this to me for Christmas. I was really high on it for the first hour, but holy shit does this game fall off a cliff after the first settlement. I've been completely stuck for a solid hour after
dying three times to a boss fight that despawns because you can't win
with absolutely no clue where to go after.

Take a look at the item description for the blade you picked up after that fight.

You can now cross the fields of tendrils by activating its ability.

You can also win that fight if you exhaust the boss by countering his strikes with your own.

Last edited:

Skavi

Feb 13, 2018
Take a look at the item description for the blade you picked up after that fight.

If you mean to use it on the dude who shoots that massive energy ball at you to get at an item on the ground, I already tried that because I figured it might reflect it, but it didn't. Thank you for the help btw.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
If you mean to use it on the dude who shoots that massive energy ball at you to get at an item on the ground, I already tried that because I figured it might reflect it, but it didn't. Thank you for the help btw.

Updated the post with the direct next steps in a spoiler. I got stuck on the same part in my playthrough haha.

Soundtrack released, DLC announced and a sale
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
New DLC announced (free but will increase the base price), soundtrack released and a 20% off sale!
store.steampowered.com

Biomass - Steam News Hub

Updates, events, and news from the developers of Biomass.

Early video of the DLC, will be standalone from the main game and feature a higher resolution art style:

Oct 25, 2017
México
Not port begging here, just a genuine question. Is it coming to consoles in the future?

I don't have a gaming PC. That's why I'm asking. It looks very interesting.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I've missed these threads in the past somehow. Just purchased it! Excited to dive in tonight! Looks RIGHT up my alley.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Damn you are right. That is fire.

I'm very, very happy that the soundtrack is now available. There are some absolutely fantastic, completely unexpected, tracks in Biomass. The first time you enter the West Tower—just amazing.

I was hoping this bump was for that ...

I bought it earlier this year thanks to this thread, so I should just finally dig into the steam version.

Yeah, I'm excited for new content but the game releasing on more platforms would make it so much easier to convince folk to try it haha.