• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
What is the issue with them releasing RE5 on other consoles instead of RE4 which has been released like 10 times already since it came out like 15 years ago.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
TBH the Square FF games are physical releases in Europe despite being as old(?) as these games and they're both £45(!). If that's what it would've took to get RE4 on a cart I would've paid that much, or close to it, maybe as people have said throw in some tat to justify it but regardless RE4 is the best game ever made and it deserves to be on store shelves everywhere. It deserves better than Capcom basically.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
They can't sold them separately either because of cost cards. No publisher can release 16GB games as 20$ physical release due to how expensive and margin-eating those cards are when you go above 8GB. It's once again Nintendo's fault.

The criticism when it comes to the situation in Europe is warranted since there's no excuse for Capcom to not do the same as in the US, but as far as the US releases are concerned, it's the best that was possible to do. Blame Nintendo.

I'm sorry, but in this case it's all in Capcom hands.

Okami, Onimusha and Dragon's Dogma handling goes against your reasoning.

Okami and Onimusha (PS2 era titles) are 20$ digital and ~30$ retail.

Dragon's Dogma is ~30$ on a 16GB cart.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The only way Capcom could sell a physical RE4 for more than digital would be to either bundle it with another game (like RECVX HD) or an amiibo.

A Leon amiibo would probably do very well tbh.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Time to invest in that 400GB microSD card...or maybe wait until the 1TB one drops.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but in this case it's all in Capcom hands.

Okami, Onimusha and Dragon's Dogma handling goes against your reasoning.

Okami and Onimusha (PS2 era titles) are 20$ digital and ~30$ retail.

Dragon's Dogma is ~30$ on a 16GB cart.

Neither Okami nor Onimusha are above 8gb. Both can fit on 8gb cards and could be sold at retail for 20$ in Japan. RE4 is above that, so it needs a 16gb card and will retail for 30$ in Japan because of that, a higher price than how it is on other platforms. (if Capcom find it worth it to release at retail). Nothing goes against this reasoning because those are facts. See following post.

Last edited:

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can always count on Capcom to fuck up.
when is this insecurity going to end

blame Nintendo for the absurd prices of 32gb cards for this situation, not capcom
So what's the excuse for RE4? Or Mega Man Legacy Collection 2?
Nintendo doesn't allow it anyway, unless you put some goodies in the box.
Some people made up this theory, but there's no proof for it whatsoever. (In fact, the opposite.)

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can always count on Capcom to fuck up.

So what's the excuse for RE4? Or Mega Man Legacy Collection 2?

Some people made up this theory, but there's no proof for it whatsoever. (In fact, the opposite.)

Cards costs for both games. That's the reason. And it's no theory but very much a fact that you can witness with a lot of weekly releases.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Uh, there's other ways to sell things and buy second hand other than ripoff trade ins which is the lowest common denominator version. Ebay, Amazon local listings etc are still packed with second hand games being resold. Where both seller and buyer get better value than Gamestop's crap.

That may be true, but from the perspective of large game publishers, GameStop is the tangible force in the pre-owned market. Data exists regarding how much business they do and how much influence they have. What ggx2ac was talking about it is an actual concern for publishers.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cards costs for both games. That's the reason. And it's no theory but very much a fact that you can witness with a lot of weekly releases.
Both Megaman releases together wouldn't take 8GB. There's no need for 2 cards.
And of the few games that did get different prices between eShop and retail, you can find them out today without any bonuses but with a different price. For example, The End is Nigh is much cheaper on the eShop, and outside of the long-gone first print run of it, it has nothing extra at all.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For example, The End is Nigh is much cheaper on the eShop, and outside of the long-gone first print run of it, it has nothing extra at all

That's because it released first digitally only, or because the physical release had goodies included. When a game releases both digitally and physically simultaneously and the physical version doesn't have an additional bonus to offset the value, both have to get the same price. That's why One Piece UWR released digital only for 40$ in the US but was 60€ in the EU eShop, the only western region where it had a physical version for the same price. Also the same reason why the upcoming Darksiders is 30€ on the eShop while 20€ on every other platforms. Check it for yourself on any THQ Nordic release actually.

As for Mega Man LC, while the XLC goes way above 8gb, it indeed seems like Capcom gouged the physical release of the LC, so I'll give you that one.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain the outrage in here to me? Because one game in the bundle comes on the cart and you have to download the other? Is that it?

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
HAHA now I'm even more glad EU isn't getting this half assed physical version. Will just download Remake + 4 and will be content.

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain the outrage in here to me? Because one game in the bundle comes on the cart and you have to download the other? Is that it?
The bad game is on the card and the good game (best in the series) is download only.

And some people (me included) prefer physical, so buying a game box bundle where one a download code is a slap in the face.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Will just download all of them. Not sure why mad. I mean I play this game like one million times already.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
DMC HD is gonna be digital ain't it...that will be the monkey paw of it all.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guess Capcom has figured out they can add a Switch tax now because people will just deflect all the blame on to big bad Nintendo.

They can't use card costs as an excuse when they are charging more for a digital only game.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Physical only buyers are getting screwed over from every possible angle this era. Day one patches, downloading half the game, cart/disc not containing all info, GaaS, DLC, etc. When publishers are even screwing up their nintendo ports, I don't know how you guys are still holding out from going all digital.

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When publishers are even screwing up their nintendo ports, I don't know how you guys are still holding out from going all digital.
For me it's the possibility of resale. Their value drop so fast so there is no point in keeping them. If I want to play a title again in the future I can always rebuy it for a fraction of the price or download it from ps plus etc.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
They can't sold them separately either because of cost cards. No publisher can release 16GB games as 20$ physical release due to how expensive and margin-eating those cards are when you go above 8GB. It's once again Nintendo's fault.

The criticism when it comes to the situation in Europe is warranted since there's no excuse for Capcom to not do the same as in the US, but as far as the US releases are concerned, it's the best that was possible to do. Blame Nintendo.

The cart probably also explains the ¥500 cost increase for 4 as well.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's because it released first digitally only, or because the physical release had goodies included. When a game releases both digitally and physically simultaneously and the physical version doesn't have an additional bonus to offset the value, both have to get the same price. That's why One Piece UWR released digital only for 40$ in the US but was 60€ in the EU eShop, the only western region where it had a physical version for the same price. Also the same reason why the upcoming Darksiders is 30€ on the eShop while 20€ on every other platforms. Check it for yourself on any THQ Nordic release actually.

As for Mega Man LC, while the XLC goes way above 8gb, it indeed seems like Capcom gouged the physical release of the LC, so I'll give you that one.
Overcooked 2 physical/digital released on the same day, no bonus stuff in the package, 15$ price difference. The price parity rule does seem to hold in Europe, but Capcom doesn't give a shit about Europe in the first place, so it doesn't figue into this one.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Overcooked 2 physical had DLC included at launch.
https:///overcooked-2-pre-orders-come-with-too-many-cooks-dlc-pack/
That's a pre-order bonus, it came with the digital version too. And of course, as mentioned above, Yoku's Island Express also had a price disparity. IT's not a policy, except for maybe in Europe, where the rumors about it being a requirement originated from.

Deleted member 50761

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Forgive me if I am ignorant but why are so many people annoyed by this? I've been digital only since about 2014 (PC, PS4, XBOX, Switch) and it's made me more careful about buying random games and buying too many at once as I can't just resell if it's bad or I cba playing.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a pre-order bonus, it came with the digital version too. And of course, as mentioned above, Yoku's Island Express also had a price disparity. IT's not a policy, except for maybe in Europe, where the rumors about it being a requirement originated from.

Sincerely doubt that. There's so many examples of price gouging that are explained by this policy. I'm not familiar with those games so there are probably some specifics concerning them.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me if I am ignorant but why are so many people annoyed by this? I've been digital only since about 2014 (PC, PS4, XBOX, Switch) and it's made me more careful about buying random games and buying too many at once as I can't just resell if it's bad or I cba playing.
Some people like buying games physically, and now they don't get that option. I personally would have liked a cart version of RE4 for myself.
Sincerely doubt that. There's so many examples of price gouging that are explained by this policy. I'm not familiar with those games so there are probably some specifics concerning them.
There's nothing special about them, other than both being from the same publisher. Perhaps most publishers realized that a bonus item can cause people to pick up a copy even if they wouldn't have. Anyway, as there's no evidence of such a policy, and evidence for the contrary, it's not a good point.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Capcom has very frequent and substential digital sales at least.
Maybe I 'll wait, re 4 will probably get at least 20% by summer.
Not sure yet, it will depend on wether i'll have something to play at this moment, and I'll probably be on dragon's dogma when re4 will hit lol.

Last edited:

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Capcom has very frequent and substential digital sales at least.
Maybe I 'll wait, re 4 will probably get at least 20% by summer.
Not sure yet, it will depend on if i' be something to play at this moment, and I'll probably be on dragon's dogma when re4 will hit lol.

I was planning on ordering them at release. So I'm disappointed about no package versions, but like you I will just wait a month or two when they are sold at 60% off and get them then.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DMC HD is gonna be digital ain't it...that will be the monkey paw of it all.
Is that even coming to Switch?

Also, don't really see the issue with digital-only releases. I think it's okay for people to want their carts/discs/whatever, though, but sometimes that's just not an option for the publisher. Y'all should contact Limited Run Games or something.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Heck is RE4 eligible for Limited Run Games or the like to do a print now?

That may be true, but from the perspective of large game publishers, GameStop is the tangible force in the pre-owned market. Data exists regarding how much business they do and how much influence they have. What ggx2ac was talking about it is an actual concern for publishers.
So what is the argument?

"Publishers wouldn't be concerned about second hand sales anymore because the problem is solved because gamestop's being undercut by discounted digital sales" ?

So why not release physically? Or worse, half physically tying one game to a download code? Tiny, tiny publishers manage to release physically, and often with >4gb file sizes or even more.

Physical only buyers are getting screwed over from every possible angle this era. Day one patches, downloading half the game, cart/disc not containing all info, GaaS, DLC, etc. When publishers are even screwing up their nintendo ports, I don't know how you guys are still holding out from going all digital.
I just don't buy it. Would have pre-ordered a Rockman Legacy 1+2 to have 8, 9 and 10 on cart. The entire thing would have been 3.5GB. Instead I just skipped it and won't even buy it digitally for $1 now we know about Digital Eclipse's z-grade emulation.

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was planning on ordering them at release. So I'm disappointed about no package versions, but like you I will just wait a month or two when they are sold at 60% off and get them then.
I doubt they with drop down that easily. In Europe Okami the first price drop was after 5 months and only 25% off.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
So wait, please tell me RE4 isn't the Wii(U) SD version.

when is this insecurity going to end

blame Nintendo for the absurd prices of 32gb cards for this situation, not capcom

as an euro and switch owner I blame capcom. we get screwed by them since forever and they can fuck right off into oblivion with this behavior. I'm so sick of this shit*

*I used this term approximately ten times by now. All in either capcom or bandai namco switch threads.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
A few people liked the Wii version because it had the cross sights instead of the laser sights.