• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Hrmmm....

"After its own fair and unbiased investigation...'
After reviewing Billy's gameplay, and reproducing similar games myself, I can honestly say that this is legitimate gameplay. I do not see a reason why Billy would need to even use MAME, or save states to film both games with this style of play.

That's...not evidence! "He didn't need to cheat" is what made this shit pathetic in the first place. He didn't need to does not mean he did not or would not---because it sure as shit seems like he in fact did.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
This is a saga that never ends. I feel like I'll be retired and still hearing about Billy Mitchell.

Iris

Oct 28, 2017
I always knew that Billy Mitchell didn't cheat. The dude is an ahole but so are all showmans. And that's what he is, first and foremost. The twitter cancel culture was strong with this one.

The man did a lot to advance the popularity of arcade games, is a bonafide genius at Pacman, and has the skills to backup his records to play live in front of people. Reminder, he got a perfect pacman score LIVE in front of millions of people over television. Who else can say that?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
They really want to go after this guy but he keeps bouncing back lol
It's like someone from his old local arcade got jealous and just started a whole thing to try and cancel him

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I don't think there's a single guy in the world of video games I cannot wait to stop hearing about more than Billy Mitchell.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What new irrefutable evidence? They didn't provide any at all, just a character testimony. The original evidence was irrefutable; the way Billy Mitchell's footage loaded the levels was undeniably MAME.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's so good that he didn't need to cheat is such a bad defense given the strong evidence that he did it anyway

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
He's so good that he didn't need to cheat is such a bad defense given the strong evidence that he did it anyway

Yeah, that's a pretty weak excuse. In speed running it's pretty well known that the best cheaters are all capable of record runs themselves, which is why their cheats are so well constructed.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Billy's still a cheat, Guinness is still a joke and Twin Galaxies has and always will be the laughingstock of any given scoring community.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
I always knew that Billy Mitchell didn't cheat. The dude is an ahole but so are all showmans. And that's what he is, first and foremost. The twitter cancel culture was strong with this one.

The man did a lot to advance the popularity of arcade games, is a bonafide genius at Pacman, and has the skills to backup his records to play live in front of people. Reminder, he got a perfect pacman score LIVE in front of millions of people over television. Who else can say that?

he cheated

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really want to go after this guy but he keeps bouncing back lol
It's like someone from his old local arcade got jealous and just started a whole thing to try and cancel him
no somebody looked at an old tape and showed evidence that it was captured on an emulator. you are not allowed to use emulators for official world records. wasn't mitchell suing guiness? guessing they just wanted to get rid of the lawsuit because it can't be worth the headache. honestly who even gives a shit about guiness world records these days.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
There's no new evidence here. He still cheated at the end of the day.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I can only assume he threatened to sue Guinness until they decided it wasn't worth the hassle, because the evidence against him is damning, and this is a whole lot of "yeah we saw more evidence and it totally clears him".

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely pathetic. All they have is character testimony. That doesn't prove he didn't cheat. That doesn't change at all; that was never in question, that he had the skills to do that if he really wanted. That's just part of what made it even more pathetic, that he clearly does indeed have the skills, but cheated anyway.

In any case, there's no evidence here just "he has skills" which is completely immaterial to whether those particular records were generated by cheating or not, which they were.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Even if he didn't cheat and his scores were legit play on MAME, it doesn't change the fact he lied about using MAME, and his records should be flagged as such. He did not accomplish those scores on legit hardware which is why those scores have their own category on the leader boards.

May 15, 2019
What new irrefutable evidence? They didn't provide any at all, just a character testimony. The original evidence was irrefutable; the way Billy Mitchell's footage loaded the levels was undeniably MAME.
I've seen some people saying that Guinness was just sick of the continual lawsuits so they reinstated his records. Billy Mitchell saying Never Surrender is fitting because his annoying persistence is the only reason he got what he wanted.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Twitch keeps recommending his stream to me for some reason, and I've seen that he's been playing an ungodly amount of Pac Man recently. So I was like "oh cool, Billy Mitchell redeemed himself with his Twitch playing." But then I read the article and it kind of sounds like bullshit again.

This will make for some interesting YouTube drama.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

This is sarcasm right? It was very obvious he cheated. His ability to not need to is a totally different thing

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
In 2020 Guiness has no bearing on the video game world. https://www.speedrun.com/ is pretty much the definitve place to get your video game records from at this point. Also playing for score is passe.

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"There has never and will never be an emulation board that plugs into a Donkey Kong machine. It is simply impossible for anything but legitimate hardware to have been inside Billy Mitchell's machine."

I saw the MAME evidence/argument and that seemed solid, but if it not possible to use it on a DK machine it kinda makes the argument moot, right?

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017

Is that you, Billy?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Awful decision. His Donkey Kong scores were not legitimate. Aside from the fact that he used MAME, the gameplay itself is extremely suspect and nigh impossible to reproduce without save states.