• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Not to shit on her talent or anything, but there sure seem to be immense amounts of thousands, if not millions, of dollars thrown at marketing her. I simply cannot go a week without seeing some sort of suggestion from websites about her. From YouTube's suggestions or autoplay, all the way down to my TV's OS menu's "suggestions" (ads) tried to push her on me at some point in the past months.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Not to shit on her talent or anything, but there sure seem to be immense amounts of thousands, if not millions, of dollars thrown at marketing her. I simply cannot go a week without seeing some sort of suggestion from websites about her. From YouTube's suggestions or autoplay, all the way down to my TV's OS menu's "suggestions" (ads) tried to push her on me at some point in the past months.

Are you new to seeing music advertised?

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
there are plenty of equally connected musicians who won't get anywhere near her success because they don't have the talent

begrudging her for her family being in the industry is dumb, maybe you can do this the first year she became popular but 3 years down the line in a ruthless industry it's time to get real
Perhaps it comes across that way, but I'm not begrudging her whatsoever.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
There are plenty of equally talented musicians out there who won't get anywhere near the success she has since they don't have the connections.

For her she gained fame because of her talent combined with who she knows.
Yeah. Anyone who believes that the popular music industry is anything resembling a meritocracy is unbelievably ignorant. Pop music isn't about talent; it never has been and it never will be. Searching for talented musicians is expensive, difficult, and completely not cost-effective since pop music fans have basically no expectation that the artists write their own music, perform their own music, or write/perform music that is challenging in any way.

there are plenty of equally connected musicians who won't get anywhere near her success because they don't have the talent
This is probably also true, but those two viewpoints aren't mutually exclusive. She got practice/exposure to things that she wouldn't have gotten if she'd been born to virtually anyone else.

Also, the pop music industry is the opposite of ruthless. Kanye West still gets to sell records.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

to be fair like every successful pop star is like 20% talent (if i'm being generous) and rest is corporate marketing plugging it into whatever angle.

though if i may have my Yelling At Cloud moment i really don't get what's going on here at all. and i'm not above getting down with some good dumb zeitgeist top 40 fun

Last edited:

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Anyone who believes that the popular music industry is anything resembling a meritocracy is unbelievably ignorant. Pop music isn't about talent; it never has been and it never will be.

What a load of bullshit LMAO The Beatles would like a word with you.

Are there SOME manufactured artists? Of course, but that's certainly not the norm and those people generally fade very quickly. You need talent to succeed in the music industry because the fact is there are loads of talented people so if you have none you will be replaced by someone who does.

Now it would be fair to say that talent isn't EVERYTHING but to say it isn't about talent is naive, dismissive and ignorant.

In Billie's case she writes all her songs with her brother. Together they have a fuckload of talent so her success is well deserved.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Just because your parents are in the industry doesn't mean you're a plant. You are just lucky, and luck doesn't last. Billie has.

On the other hand, some of the stuff she has said in interviews, like the "belting out" stuff got me side eyeing.

She's talented though and hope for the best for her. And that she somehow remains sane. Not easy in pop music.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
What a load of bullshit LMAO The Beatles would like a word with you.
You're right, that one act does dismiss my argument that the music industry systemically doesn't prioritize talent, an argument which in no way precludes the possibility that the industry's priorities may nevertheless occasionally yield a talented act (especially since getting signed to a major label means you're going to be making music for a living, giving you an opportunity not available to most people to explore your talents)!

Oct 27, 2017
No seriously what does being an industry plant mean.
It means that you get more exposure, more money pumped into your marketing and song writers etc. for example Cardi B is an industry made artist versus somebody that is more self made and grinded to the position

you could also look at Lizzo as an example. She's been around for years and nobody cared until the money started rolling in and the exposure started hitting and compare her to a Sza who wile popular doesn't have nearly the backing that Lizzo does

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Every song literally sounds like absolute garbage. Probably an old man yells at clouds statement, but I just don't get it.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
You're right, that one act does dismiss my argument that the music industry systemically doesn't prioritize talent, an argument which in no way precludes the possibility that the industry's priorities may nevertheless occasionally yield a talented act (especially since getting signed to a major label means you're going to be making music for a living, giving you an opportunity not available to most people to explore your talents)!
The notion that influence trumps talent is absolute nonsense. He gave you one example when he could have easily given you hundreds.

Nov 23, 2017
Anyway, not a popular opinion I guess but "having parents or family in the industry" is exactly what industry plant means...duh. Your connections helped your success immensely compared to artists who don't have family in the industry. I dont see why thats a controversial take. It doesn't make an artist bad or untalented but it seems even suggesting that having parents in the industry is maybe the reason someone is successful is gonna get you attacked by pop ERA for some reason.

Last edited:

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Anyway, not a popular opinion I guess but "having parents or family in the industry" is exactly what industry plant means...duh. Your connections planted your success.
That's not what a plant means. A plant implies the artist is a puppet. Having parents in the industry doesn't automatically make one a puppet of them.

Oct 27, 2017
Cardi B worked WAY WAY WAY hard, literally was in gangs in the bronx and shit releasing mixtapes while stripping. What are you talking about lol?
What does being in gangs or stripping have to do with having the best beats, best ghost writers, industry paid glowups and marketing. She wasn't put on a bruno mars song because of talent. It was a ln industry deal. And you see that she's now fading away because she doesn't have that backing like she once did and her talent won't carry her

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
The notion that influence trumps talent is absolute nonsense. He gave you one example when he could have easily given you hundreds.

Yes thank you. I've worked in different capacities in the music industry for over 20 years and I've been around lots of people of various musical abilities. People with no talent get rejected HARD in this industry. They might stumble onto the occasional one hit wonder situation but that never lasts and you never get a whole album of the quality from those kinds of acts.

Having connections can get your foot in the door but it won't keep it open for you. It's the same with marketing, it can get you to listen to a song once but it's not going to make you add it to you collection.

Also it's funny how albums must be good because they had a "team of writers" and movies must be terrible if they also had a "team of writers". I can tell you with absolute certainty that a team of writers doesn't mean anything. It can be both good and bad.

What does being in gangs or stripping have to do with having the best beats, best ghost writers, industry paid glowups and marketing. She wasn't put on a bruno mars song because of talent. It was a ln industry deal. And you see that she's now fading away because she doesn't have that backing like she once did and her talent won't carry her

I'm going to quote the announcer for the Toronto Raptors, Jack Armstrong because it applies to music as well as basketball: Hard work is a talent because not everyone does it. I've known lots of talented musicians who go nowhere because they have no drive or work ethic. Now I don't know her work and I agree if she doesn't have genuine talent then she'll likely fade out of the picture like I said above but she didn't get picked to be on these tracks by some lottery, it sounds like she worked to get that opportunity and that's a skill.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Every song literally sounds like absolute garbage. Probably an old man yells at clouds statement, but I just don't get it.
You don't like mumble-whisper pop? wtf. I do like 'Bad Guy' for its interesting sound and vibe but have no interest in hearing similar stuff.

Pop music 'talent' to me is all about the Vibe created by the artist, producers and handlers which is then force fed to consumers through marketing and exposure via high powered (and frequently unethical) labels. I think sometimes we (as a culture) talk past each other because one group doesn't consider this a real talent and the other group considers this the most important talent. Ergo, 'trash talent v. massive talent' discussions where we are but aren't talking about the same thing. For example, I don't consider an artist talented unless they can REALLY sing (especially live). Others would disagree (my teen daughter will tell me that Vibe is the only thing that matters).

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
-- Billie Eilish is talented, and works hard.
-- Improbably large, multinational corporations have pumped millions and millions of dollars into her brand, and thus will do anything in their power to see a return on that investment, regardless of how true the above is.

Both of these things can be true at the same time.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not arguing that influence trumps talent. In fact, I'm not even arguing a point about influence or talent. I'm saying that the pop music industry has no reason to prioritize talent because pop music fans aren't really looking for talent, they're looking for an attractive vessel through which to hear their preferred brand of focus group music.

The industry hasn't always been this cynical, but for about as long as there's been pop music the exercise of finding new pop artists has been motivated principally by sales, to which talent is only an ancillary concern.

-- Improbably large, multinational corporations have pumped millions and millions of dollars into her brand, and thus will do anything in their power to see a return on that investment, regardless of how true the above is.

They sure can.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of embarrassing that basically none of the posts in this thread are actually about the video posted.

Bring on more celebrities / pop-stars that are in-touch with internet culture and all that. Like, I don't like Lil Nas X's music, but that dude's got an amazing social media presence. His Tweets are hilarious.

Also, you guys could've at least spun this the same way a lot of other people spun it. She says that Drake's been texting her, and most people have been putting this on the pile of young girls that he's been grooming.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Yeah.... i don't get this shit.

ok boomer me all day if yall want but yeah, i don't.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.... i don't get this shit.

ok boomer me all day if yall want but yeah, i don't.
Same here. I'm not even 30 years old and yet I feel super old and out of touch with modern pop music. That goes for other artists as well.

Like, out of curiosity I've tried listening to some Billie Eilish and Taylor Swift and it just sounds awful. Taylor Swift in particular is dreadful. Just don't get how these are the mega popular artists these days.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Her music is different to most of the pop stuff I come across, and she's super popular with my neices and nephews. A-okay in my books, go for it!

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend shared it with me earlier this week. Really enjoyed the interview and how it changed year/year really fun. Love her music and my younger cousins are also all over her, the future is pretty bright for the next generation of pop musicians.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't mean to mean to derail the thread, just ignore.

Lmao, you weren't wrong though.

Cardi B is an industry made artist versus somebody that is more self made and grinded to the position

Cardi is self made but she's what I would think of as "backed by her label", which makes sense because she's one of the biggest acts on the label (outside of Ed Sheeran(?)). Once she popped off and the label realised what they have, most of the things you are talking about started flowing her way (I don't even think the label thought Bodak Yellow would be as big as it was).

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Who cares if shes a plant, her songs are still fire

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone this famous is "an industry plant" this isn't a meaningful criticism to level at her

I'm not a fan of her work but it's not criticism, it's a tautology

Nagorno-Karabakh is easier to understand than the "industry plant" criticism. Why does it seem to be predominantly directed at Billie Eilish, what distinguishes an industry plant from someone who simply became popular with the backing of the industry, what is the implication of her being an industry plant even supposed to be?

I've been hearing "Billie Eilish is an industry plant" for awhile now, research has been done, and all this time later, I still haven't wrapped my head around it.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
/shrug

I like some of her songs, and I have a tendency not to like the stuff that's topping the charts.