• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47129503

Hawaii could raise the legal smoking age to 100, effectively banning cigarettes for the vast majority of people in the state.
In a new bill, proposed by Democrat Richard Creagan, the smoking age would increase rapidly between 2020 and 2024.
It will need to pass through the state legislature and weather a potentially strong backlash from tobacco companies in order to become state law.
E-cigarettes, chewing tobacco and cigars are not included in the bill.
Dr Creagan, who was an emergency room physician before he was elected as state representative in 2014, calls the cigarette "the deadliest artefact in human history" in the bill.

You'd think an outright ban would b easier.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
393459.gif

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Holy shit they are not fucking around.

Yeah i could use something like that in order to help me stop. I mean, i know is all personal effort, bu i welcome all the help i can get.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Can't wait to see high school kids posing as 100 year olds. They'll be swarming thrift shops for new duds to pull it off, so, good news for Goodwill.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can't imagine the backlash this will receive.

The backlash is probably from smoking addicts. Emphasis intended.

Seeing my dad throw shit fits about smoking indoors was the bane of my childhood.

If you really have to stick something in your mouth, might as well not be something that's incredibly detrimental to a person's health.... and other people's health. And something that doesn't kill people with some vicious cancers.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Dang, the black market will be hot. I wonder if they'll have tobacco sniffing dogs in the post offices

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
So by the time you're able to smoke, you cant light your cig due to being 10ft under water.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind using a loophole to achieve a quick effective legislative workaround - you can do the reverse kind of thing in Salt Lake City to have a beer, for example, but the black market would be a real thing (including crime) and unfortunately, it's another regressive tax on the poor - this time legal rather than directly economic. It sounds great and common sense to folks who don't smoke - but if you're a 35 year old dad working two jobs in a shitty part of Oahu and the only bried moment of joy you get is a few cigarettes a day, then it's going to feel extremely punitive and lacking in empathy - despite the logic and the moral intention.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
A thread for this topic was already created. Please continue the ongoing discussion there.

Status
Not open for further replies.