• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I heard of the chicken and black people before but I was not really sure why that was a thing...
https://www.npr.org/sections/codesw...e-did-that-fried-chicken-stereotype-come-from

Sadly we still live in societies full of prejudice, racism and division.

I did know a bit about the chicken, but the watermelon was bunkers.

Part of the watermelon thing is that it was a very affordable source of nutrition and hydration that was also reliable to grow (and was something most had grown during enslavement), so it was very common for emancipated former slaves to become watermelon farmers. It was a symbol of liberation that the white racists of the time quickly turned into a caricature for mockery. While watermelons were actually a product of hard work, through cartoons and snide jokes it became associated with the totally fictional idea of lazy people eating watermelon on a porch all day instead of working.

I was not afraid to post that this is foreign to me and don't fully understand the outrage here but am not confident enough to debate here. Like I said I'm stepping back.

Why would your position be to "debate" if you admit you don't even know the topic at hand? Seems strange. It would be totally possible to ask questions and become informed, but nobody would call that a debate.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong, buy isn't their a political spectrum thing where if you go extreme extreme left you end up on the right? And vice versa? This all vague recollection. Seems like that's what the idiot is doing

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I.... uh..... maybe because I don't live in the US is that i don't understand this fully but I'll stop myself now before I unintentionally catch a ban.

Popeyes is a famous American fried chicken chain that does not have any branches located in alleyways.

Fried chicken is frequently used as a stereotype of popular African American cuisine (despite the fact that more white people eat it than black people) and is one of the lazier shorthand stereotypes along with watermelon and "thugs."

There is effectively a zero percent chance Bill would have made that joke to a white CIA guest.

Being charitable Bill probably believes he is cool and "down" enough to make in group jokes but science on the matter is settled_ Bill is not cool nor a popular figure in African American culture and is probably obscure to never-heard-of-him.

If he were Indian Bill might have said "Curry shop" and if he were Asian Bill might have said "Chop Suey joint" because he makes these kinds of awkward gaffes all the time, promotes conspiracy theories (Vaxxer and more) and gives airtime to white supremacist and opportunist racists in the name of what he probably considers "edgy" political humor and discourse.

He's ostensibly liberal but only in the same way that I think I dress well and have great taste in music.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Can we just replace his show with a new Jon Stewart thing already?

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Edit 2: ok, after reading the text linked by Menx64 - now I understand the chicken thing and the racism behind that stereotype. Not sure how he tied that racist stereotype to the guy he was talking to and CIA, though, but I suppose it doesn't matter.

It doesn't really matter. The guy he was interviewing said something about finding evidence in alleyways and Maher made a joke that it was behind a Popeye's fried chicken restaurant.

If he'd have said the same restaurant had it been a white guest we'll never know but as it stands Maher used a stereotype of black people to riff off the back of what his black guest was saying.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Popeyes is a famous American fried chicken chain that does not have any branches located in alleyways.

Fried chicken is frequently used as a stereotype of popular African American cuisine (despite the fact that more white people eat it than black people) and is one of the lazier shorthand stereotypes along with watermelon and "thugs."

There is effectively a zero percent chance Bill would have made that joke to a white CIA guest.

Being charitable Bill probably believes he is cool and "down" enough to make in group jokes but science on the matter is settled_ Bill is not cool nor a popular figure in African American culture and is probably obscure to never-heard-of-him.

If he were Indian Bill might have said "Curry shop" and if he were Asian Bill might have said "Chop Suey joint" because he makes these kinds of awkward gaffes all the time, promotes conspiracy theories (Vaxxer and more) and gives airtime to white supremacist and opportunist racists in the name of what he probably considers "edgy" political humor and discourse.

He's ostensibly liberal but only in the same way that I think I dress well and have great taste in music.
I tend to agree with Maher but you're right. He should've abstained from saying that joke especially with his history. I do feel sorry that his interview where he was making good point and drilling on a GOP politician who was making little sense got overshadowed by his dumb joke.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You guys clearly just don't realize that Maher gets a pass on this stuff because he's way more liberal and intelligent than anyone here. Maybe one day when you guys are as liberal as him you'll be able to say racist shit too. Until then just wallow in your not being smart or liberal like Maher and only say boring respectful things

(/s obviously)

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys clearly just don't realize that Maher gets a pass on this stuff because he's way more liberal and intelligent than anyone here. Maybe one day when you guys are as liberal as him you'll be able to say racist shit too. Until then just wallow in your not being smart or liberal like Maher and only say boring respectful things

pce5yCn.gif

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One (of many) reasons I dislike this man so much is that I feel like the left needs more ways to communicate honestly and in a less politcally-correct fashion, but this shitbird has hijacked that sentiment, and now he is the defacto model of left-leaning candor.

How bout NO. The left NEEDS to de-platform this piece of shit. Seriously. He does far more harm than good.

Insert AOC until she is eligible to run. Sorted.

Oct 30, 2017
If there was any innocent intent to it at all, I think the joke was supposed to be envisioning the back alley, like it's nestled between stores. But there are a million ways you can go about that without mentioning the word "chicken". Hell, he could have said "between the Popeye's and the Burger King" and it wouldn't just be about a fried chicken place.
He knows what he's doing. He's not an idiot. He's a racist and arrogant piece of shit.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Expected from this piece of shit.

Don't even know why Popeye's is used as this racist stereotype against black people. Fried chicken is top tier food regardless of who you are.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One (of many) reasons I dislike this man so much is that I feel like the left needs more ways to communicate honestly and in a less politcally-correct fashion, but this shitbird has hijacked that sentiment, and now he is the defacto model of left-leaning candor.

How bout NO. The left NEEDS to de-platform this piece of shit. Seriously. He does far more harm than good.

Insert AOC until she is eligible to run. Sorted.

Nah. Right now he's irrelevant. The right hates him. The left ignores him outside of jimmie rustling. If we de-platform him he'll just become another bitter, more paranoid, equally unfunny dennis miller. Just let him fade away till HBO doesn't renew or realizes they could put a russet potato in a Tuxedo and get more laughs and higher ratings. LOL Agent Spud. He's hilarious! But he's a spy.

Oct 30, 2017
Nah. Right now he's irrelevant. The right hates him. The left ignores him outside of jimmie rustling. If we de-platform him he'll just become another bitter, more paranoid, equally unfunny dennis miller. Just let him fade away till HBO doesn't renew or realizes they could put a russet potato in a Tuxedo and get more laughs and higher ratings. LOL Agent Spud. He's hilarious! But he's a spy.

I hope they drop him.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's irrelevant in the same way the polls favored Hillary in 2016. The left needs to be vigilant.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Can't stand this dude. So arrogant, thinks he's above everybody, mean, patronizing, racist and doesn't care, etc.

I think he's just a genuinely bad guy.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
This isn't even some side-eye racism, this is some holy shit are we watching Mississippi Burning racism.

Jesus

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to agree with Maher but you're right. He should've abstained from saying that joke especially with his history. I do feel sorry that his interview where he was making good point and drilling on a GOP politician who was making little sense got overshadowed by his dumb joke.

That's what happens when you go for racism instead of keeping yourself above board.

He completely fucks his own argument by being racist.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's truly frustrating that people still try to defend this guy. What the fuck are they trying to defend? There is no defense of him that holds up.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
It doesn't really matter. The guy he was interviewing said something about finding evidence in alleyways and Maher made a joke that it was behind a Popeye's fried chicken restaurant.

If he'd have said the same restaurant had it been a white guest we'll never know but as it stands Maher used a stereotype of black people to riff off the back of what his black guest was saying.

Omg, I didn't know the guest was black! I read the text in the OP but I never actually played the video and when I read "republican" I pictured a white guy - so even when I got the chicken thing is a racist stereotype I was thinking "maybe it has something to do with CIA's relationship to black people or something - but I don't get it"

Now I feel really dumb.

Ok, now it makes sense. And yes, now it's very racist. Also, again, I feel really stupid for not actually watching the video (but it was late here last night and I was reading in bed with my wife asleep next to me)

Edit: after re-reading the post, it even says he's black in the text. Ok, so really sorry for wasting your time. This will teach me not to post after 2AM.

Last edited:

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing dialog surrounding racist stereotypes
This is making an outcry out of absolutely nothing

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This isn't even some side-eye racism, this is some holy shit are we watching Mississippi Burning racism.

Jesus
See I don't think it's that bad at this point. Like I don't think Bill goes around hating black people. I think that he thinks he's such an ally to the left that he's allowed to say racist shit because he's a comedian and 'Of course he doesn't really mean it!'

Problem being that he needs to be smart enough to see that saying racist shit on TV is a pretty cut and dry thing and nobody cares if he's actually racist once the cameras turn off.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
See I don't think it's that bad at this point. Like I don't think Bill goes around hating black people. I think that he thinks he's such an ally to the left that he's allowed to say racist shit because he's a comedian and 'Of course he doesn't really mean it!'

Problem being that he needs to be smart enough to see that saying racist shit on TV is a pretty cut and dry thing and nobody cares if he's actually racist once the cameras turn off.
I mean he clearly is. Noone that's not racist decides to randomly say racist shit on tv as a joke. These "jokes" come from somewhere always did. The mere fact that he himself found it funny enough to say it out loud says it all.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am assuming that you read the OP and/or watched the video, correct? He clearly says "Popeye's chicken." Did you miss that?

Yeah. Did not know popeye was a fast food lane. Does not exist here

What does that have to do with anything? "By popeyes chicken" (fastfood chain). What is racist about that? I am missing some culture reference here?

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Who could even consider Bill Maher an "ally" at this point? Not Muslims, not black people, not trans people... ohhhhh moderate whites

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Also, the 8 full pages discussing the stereotype.
Which this person decided to completely ignore, apparently.
Yeah. Did not know popeye was a fast food lane. Does not exist here

What does that have to do with anything? "By popeyes chicken" (fastfood chain). What is racist about that? I am missing some culture reference here?
There is an entire thread with discussion about the stereotype that you are currently posting in. Hell you could search "black people+fried chicken" and you would get the answer you are looking for.
Did you really not know about the stereotype or do you just think it isn't racist?

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently this person decided to completely ignore.

There is an entire thread with discussion about the stereotype that you are currently posting in. Hell you could search "black people+fried chicken" and you would get the answer you are looking for.
Did you really not know about the stereotype or do you just think it isn't racist?

It is 8 pages - no never heard of it

Looking it up now..

So from wikipedia

"There is also a racial stereotype surrounding fried chicken and African-American people, mostly because it was popular among slaves in the American Civil War."

Yeah it get it now - without this knowledge the comment seemed harmless

Oct 30, 2017
What was also annoying was him telling Bill Deblasio that Dems need to pander back to the center during the general.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black person from Europe here.

Don't trust none of these "I'm European, idk what this mean" posts.

America done a fine job exporting their particular stereotypes over here.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Black person from Europe here.

Don't trust none of these "I'm European, idk what this mean" posts.

America done a fine job exporting their particular stereotypes over here.

Yeah I figure that. I mean the wikipedia page says Popeye's is in 30 countries. You guys know it's a chicken restaurant and you guys really know about the black people like fried chicken stereotype because America exports entertainment.