• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except the reference is racist.

You;re not being pedantic you're being ridiculous.
It may be racist in the sense that he's associating Popeyes with inner cities, but that's not the same as saying he's saying implying this Congressman in front of him likes fried chicken because he's black which is both racist and WILDLY hostile and aggressive. I think the latter is a bad reading of the joke.

If we can agree on that last sentence, then we're on the same page, because that's really all I'm trying to say.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
It may be racist in the sense that he's associating Popeyes with inner cities, but that's not the same as saying he's saying implying this Congressman in front of him likes fried chicken because he's black which is both racist and WILDLY hostile and aggressive. I think the latter is a bad reading of the joke.

If we can agree on that last sentence, then we're on the same page, because that's really all I'm trying to say.

This is all I've been trying to say, thank you.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
The racism is the association of Popeyes with blacks.

Not racist: (to your black friend) Let's get Popeyes for lunch
Racist: (to your black soon to be ex-friend) So you like Popeyes, eh, haha

Going off topic a bit. I've always wondered where this stereotype came from. I don't know a white person alive that doesn't love fried chicken.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At some point you'd figure A) Shut the fuck up with the racist humor and B) Maybe don't do that to the CIA op.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

You're arguing with windmills.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Going off topic a bit. I've always wondered where this stereotype came from. I don't know a white person alive that doesn't love fried chicken.
I linked it a bit back. https://www.npr.org/sections/codesw...e-did-that-fried-chicken-stereotype-come-from

Basically a popular white supremacist movie came out in 1915. It gestated the imagery and we're living with it to this day. The watermelon thing predates that and goes back to vaudeville iirc.
The film was a commercial success, though it was highly controversial for its portrayal of black men (many played by white actors in blackface) as unintelligent and sexually aggressive towards white women, and the portrayal of the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) as a heroic force.[6][7] There were widespread black protests against The Birth of a Nation, such as in Boston, while thousands of white Bostonians flocked to see the film.[8] The NAACP spearheaded an unsuccessful campaign to ban the film.[8] Griffith's indignation at efforts to censor or ban the film motivated him to produce Intolerance the following year.[9]

The film's release is also credited as being one of the events that inspired the reformation of the Ku Klux Klan in 1915. The Birth of a Nation was the first American motion picture to be screened inside the White House, viewed there by President Woodrow Wilson.[10] Griffith's innovative techniques and storytelling power have made The Birth of a Nation one of the landmarks of film history.[11][12]

The "hypocrisy" of many white families also enjoying fried chicken and it being a staple food of the South doesn't stop people from invoking this stereotype, because racists don't care about standards or irony.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
User warned: Downplaying racism
The poster you're quoting thinks Bill is racist and made a racist statement, which is the opposite of what you're saying.

I agree with his paragraph.

But I'm done replying, thanks for the opportunity. This self destruction might lose us another election, to someone who is even more of an asshole and racist than Maher.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The good ole "oops I did a racism" from Maher again.

Why anyone still is on board with him I don't know. 90s/Early 2000 edgelord tactics don't work anymore when your audience is more politically savvy than you are.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
But I'm done replying, thanks for the opportunity. This self destruction might lose us another election, to someone who is even more of an asshole and racist than Maher.
Your attitude is way more of a threat to liberals and our principles than anything we can do to "help" the right, but you're done replying, so until next time I guess.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017

Or we can look at Maher's history of "jokes" about what he thinks is or isn't a "real black person" and understand why he pulled out a "fried chicken" joke when having conversation with a black republican.
This is all I've been trying to say, thank you.
Bullshit. You don't think Maher is a racist and when people pushed back against your nonsense you tried to use the "I'm a PoC." defense.
You being a PoC doesn't mean you give a shit about racism directed at black people. You defending Maher clearly proves that you don't.

Edit:

Oh, you're clearly trolling. Cowardly bullshit though.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
McDonalds
Wendy's
Burger King
Subway
Quiznos
Panda Express
Noodles & Co
Arby's
Chipotle
Qdoba
Panera Bread
Checkers/Rally's
Five Guys
Whataburger
Steak N Shake
KFC
Popeyes

Lol, all the "first restaurant he thought of" takes are so full of shit.

Assload of fast food chains in the US and the first one he thought of was a Fried Chicken joint when making a joke on a Black Man.

Like y'all really think we're fucking stupid out here.

I live in suburbs so I've never seen a Popeyes around a back alley. I don't think I've ever peeped a Popeyes in the city but then again I don't have my eyes peeled for it.

Edit: lemme add Potbelly's cuz I love that joint

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
And you seem to lack common sense and rationality. It didn't take any mental gymnastics, it took me a few seconds to realize this is no big deal, he picked a fast food place. Wow, crazy. Yes, he's a shithead but he's not like some liberal hero. The left hates him.

I'm also a person of color by the way. Thought I should throw that in there before im attacked for being an aggressive liberal who doesn't want to see Breitbart or Fox make us attack each other again.
So based on his long documented history of racist jokes, you don't think Bill Maher, in that quick moment of trying to think of a fast food place for a throwaway one liner, didn't make that stereotype association between black people and fried chicken when he said Popeye's?

If he didn't already have a history of making racist jokes, I might be inclined to see it your way. Maybe. Moreso if Maher was the sort of person who might apologize for saying such a thing. But as we all know, racial prejudices are often deeply ingrained and have a way of continuously revealing themselves in ways both big and small.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I linked it a bit back. https://www.npr.org/sections/codesw...e-did-that-fried-chicken-stereotype-come-from

Basically a popular white supremacist movie came out in 1915. It gestated the imagery and we're living with it to this day. The watermelon thing predates that and goes back to vaudeville iirc.

The "hypocrisy" of many white families also enjoying fried chicken and it being a staple food of the South doesn't stop people from invoking this stereotype, because racists don't care about standards or irony.

Thanks for that. I honestly never knew and stupidity of it has often baffled me. Like you say, many white families, including my own, love fried chicken and watermelon. I really never got the hypocrisy behind the stereotype. It's just hating just to hate.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah this is the issue. Not people like Maher just never taking the hint after being told what the score is time and time again by minorities. Not his rampant stubbornness and doubling down on his bullshit instead of learning and making a genuine effort to be a better ally. Ever think there wouldn't be any "self destruction" if straight white men and women just did better instead of expecting us minorities to just forgive them when they make a career out of fucking up?

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get the opinions that it might not be a racist joke. Popeyes is a better, funnier gag than Burger King or something if you need to use a fast food place. But that only works in a vacuum.
Maher hasn't done this once. The number of "potentially" racist jokes and comments continues to add up and at the end of it all it seems absurd to act like he wouldn't be more careful or measured if he didn't mean the racial stereotype. There's no point being surprised by his shitty jokes anymore but there's also no point defending him as if it's the first time he's made a joke that could be construed as racist. He's past the point. He's racist. I wouldn't waste my time defending this any more than I will the next time Pewdiepie "accidentally" recommends a white supremacist channel.
Some people are trash.

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
User warned: Downplaying racism
That's not really being racist. That's like being offended if someone makes a joke about cops eating donuts

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
I am curious, are any of you "I don't think he's a racist." folks black?
If not... I just have to say, I sure do love when people who aren't black tell us what is or isn't racist.
I mean this is a pointless question to ask in a world with Ben Carson, clarence Thomas, candice whatever and kanye west.

There is always that black person who is a jester the white supremacist.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Of all the loony non sequiturs to make, just gotta land on that one when your guest is Black. lol.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
That's not really being racist. That's like being offended if someone makes a joke about cops eating donuts
This may be one of the most idiotic analogies I've ever seen. First, yes, if you remove the racial component of a racist joke, it's not going to be racist anymore. Two, Popeyes has no association with CIA agents, so the joke you mentioned barely relates except to treat occupation as equivalent to race.

Oct 29, 2017
We really need a stickied "Racist Fuckery Megathread." This shit happens way too often to be handled case by case.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Out of all the ways to ding a Republican CIA operative, "haha you eat fried chicken" doesn't even place on my rankings.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I mean this is a pointless question to ask in a world with Ben Carson, clarence Thomas, candice whatever and kanye west.

There is always that black person who is a jester the white supremacist.
Yes but we're discussing this place. Folks who aren't black love telling black people what isn't or isn't racism.
What is Popeyes? Don't think Ive heard about it, at least can't remember.
A fried chicken spot with the driest of dry biscuits.
A fried chicken franchise restaurant
"Restaurant" is being very generous.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I watched the entire show, prior to this segment he made a joke about how 'Trump pardoned a bucket of fried chicken' on the first day of black history month.

I'd assume his comment was a leftover in his head from the previous joke.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I watched the entire show, prior to this segment he made a joke about how 'Trump pardoned a bucket of fried chicken' on the first day of black history month.

I'd assume his comment was a leftover in his head from the previous joke.
So basically he's exactly what he imagines Trump is