• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
This doesn't strike me as referencing Hurd's race, so much as attempting to conjure a reference to an establishment that might have a back alley, and to make Hurd's statement about intelligence gathering sound absurd (which it kind of did).

I do think Maher is kinda racist sometimes, and don't really care for him much, but this particular one seems unintentional to me.
Yeah sure, there's absolutely no reason his mind jumped straight to Popeye's fucking chicken in this instance...c'mon

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
"I know, I'll invite this guy on my show under the pretense of discussing border policy, but really just for an excuse to mock him for being a black republican and jerk myself off."

Even without the racist stereotype, Maher is such an insufferable dickhead.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't strike me as referencing Hurd's race, so much as attempting to conjure a reference to an establishment that might have a back alley, and to make Hurd's statement about intelligence gathering sound absurd (which it kind of did). The joke wasn't about him eating Popeye's chicken it was about him implying that threats to the nation are lurking in random alleyways.
Consider the dual implications of Hurd's race and also collecting intelligence in the back alley of a Popeyes, an establishment and a fast food genre stereotypically associated with American blacks by racists.

It's either about Hurd's race or Hurd's targets.

None of them are a good look here.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
As an italian I'll never understand how big was the influence of Birth of a Nation in american people. Though that movie was a technical marvel, it basically spawned a lot of shitty stereotypes (black men eating fried chicken like beasts is one of them) and made the rebirth of the KKK happen. Racism was a (BIG) thing in the USA, sure, but it's still crazy to think about it.

The fact that this was brought up again by Bill Maher, a person whose ideas I often truly share, is miserable and tasteless.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It's people that look like him tho. It's like... Joe Biden-types. Sniveling centrists that aren't mad about "platforming awful people" because they earnestly believe in the override virtue of debate. Old liberals and old-style liberals like him.
More like Joe Rogan-types. People who think they're above it all and smarter than you when really they're the dumbest motherfucker in the room.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Ehhhh...yeah. There are about a hundred other things he could have said there, or he could have just said nothing at all. Fairly blatant.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
God, Maher is such a shithead. The fucking n-word joke was honestly less racist than this, what the fuck.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't strike me as referencing Hurd's race, so much as attempting to conjure a reference to an establishment that might have a back alley, and to make Hurd's statement about intelligence gathering sound absurd (which it kind of did). The joke wasn't about him eating Popeye's chicken it was about him implying that threats to the nation are lurking in random alleyways.

And I do think Maher is kinda racist sometimes, and don't really care for him much, but this particular one I'm not seeing it. I think people are just not understanding the framing of the joke, which has nothing to do with Hurd eating chicken.

Come on, how can you be blind to the connotation of that joke? I'm not American and even I understood the meaning behind it.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Dude has some deep seeded racist issues he needs to work out if he claims to be an ally to black people. Even if, giving him way more credit than he is due, this was completely innocent - he should have the knowledge of racist stereotypes regarding black people.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sure, there's absolutely no reason his mind jumped straight to Popeye's fucking chicken in this instance...c'mon
But that interpretation just doesn't make sense to me. Because the joke is about him being there to gather intelligence, not him being in the restaurant eating. I just think he was trying to conjure an accessible reference to an establishment that might have a back alley. The joke here is not about black people and fried chicken it's about national defense threats lurking alleys. To read it any other way just seems like a tremendous reach to me.

And again, I don't really want to defend Maher here, because I actually do think he's lowkey racist, but I think people are straight up misunderstanding the joke he's going for on this one.

Come on, how can you be blind to the connotation of that joke? I'm not American and even I understood the meaning behind it.
I'm not blind to the fact that making a reference to a black guy liking fried chicken is offensive, but I honestly don't think that's what he was doing here. He could have said "Burger King" and the joke would be exactly the same.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Day. Freaking. One.

This will be a Black History Month for the ages, that's for sure.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

And I do think Maher is kinda racist sometimes, and don't really care for him much, but this particular one I'm not seeing it. I think people are just not understanding the framing of the joke, which has nothing to do with Hurd eating chicken.
..uh huh. As much as Maher would like to think, we black people aren't fucking stupid. Fried chicken was a dig at his blackness not some well thought out example. If I were to respond to a police officer telling me they were "searching for suspects" by saying "where at the donuts shop?" that would be a dig at a stereotype.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
But that interpretation just doesn't make sense to me. Because the joke is about him being there to gather intelligence, not him being in the restaurant eating. I just think he was trying to conjure an accessible reference to an establishment that might have a back alley. The joke here is not about black people and fried chicken it's about national defense threats lurking alleys. To read it any other way just seems like a tremendous reach to me.

And again, I don't really want to defend Maher here, because I actually do think he's lowkey racist, but I think people are straight up misunderstanding the joke he's going for on this one.

He could have picked any other cheap fast food restaurant chain but he had to pick one of the two that invoke negative stereotypes when referencing black people.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, if he was trying to mock the guy's competence at his job because he was working on the ground, and especially if he used Popeye's Chicken as a way of doing so, that comes across as pretty horrifically condescending too.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Right and out of all the fast food joints he picks a friend chicken joint.

You realize a joke can have more than one point.

Give me a break.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not blind to the fact that making a reference to a black guy liking fried chicken is offensive, but I honestly don't think that's what he was doing here. He could have said "Burger King" and the joke would be exactly the same.

But he fucking didn't.

You're right he could have been not racist but he wasn't.

How is this actually a defense of the joke, it's not racist because he could have told it in a not racist way? So even though he told it in a racist way it's not actually racist?

Do you perform for Cirque to Soleil? Because your contortion skills are incredible.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
The fact that it's exactly where his mind went is precisely the reason it was racist, and that he is racist

In my opinion of course, seems clear to me though

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I see we've entered the racism is quantum locked stage of the thread where people "argue" that a joke whose sole punchline is that this black idiot likes fried chicken is somehow not racist.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Popeyes is a well known fried chicken fast food chain

this reminds me of something that happened to me, i live about 50 miles away from a

logo-horizontal.png

and when i used to drive by it with the gf i would say "i didn't know we had a popeyes chicken here, that is a popeye's chicken right?"

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see we've entered the racism is quantum locked stage of the thread where people argue that a joke whose sole punchline is that this black idiot likes fried chicken is somehow not racist.
No you see if Maher didn't refer to Popeyes and referred to any other fast food chain (except for KFC I guess) it wouldn't be racist, which means the joke is race neutral because Maher clearly just picked a random fast food place out of his mind and just happened to name Popeyes. 100% coincidence.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada

My dude, the joke is the fried chicken. The joke isn't that Hurd was in a back alley eating fast food. That's not even a joke. That doesn't make any sense.

"I was doing stakeouts in back alleys."
"Lol I bet you were actually just eating food! Haha, zing."

What?

The joke here is quite simply that Hurd is black and black people love fried chicken.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No you see if Maher didn't refer to Popeyes and referred to any other fast food chain (except for KFC I guess) it wouldn't be racist, which means the joke is race neutral because Maher clearly just picked a random fast food place out of his mind and just happened to name Popeyes. 100% coincidence.
If it had been a Burger King or a Panda Express, would you say it is still racist? I rest my case uwu

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK

His intent isn't really relevant anymore. After the "house nigg**" incident, it's just painfully clear that this clown can't keep from stepping in the same pile of shit every time he goes out for a walk. The stink's on HBO at this point if they don't act.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The dude was doing the "can I touch your hair?" thing to Marshawn Lynch last week. He doesn't have any redeeming qualities and any real progressive learned to dismiss him long ago. The guy is a liability to liberals.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned:(2 weeks) Dismissing racist stereotypes and history of derailing threads
He could have picked any other cheap fast food restaurant chain but he had to pick one of the two that invoke negative stereotypes when referencing black people.
Agreed. He could have said "Burger King" or "a corner bodega" or something, and the joke would have worked just as well. But again, that's why I'm saying that the joke here isn't racist, he just happened to pick a loaded reference.

It might be a stereotype that he's trying to think of an urban neighborhood with back alleys and "Popeye's chicken" is the first business that pops into his head. But that's not about Hurd or Hurd's race as much as a general idea of inner cities, and it's also not offensive on the same level.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The dude was doing the "can I touch your hair?" thing to Marshawn Lynch last week.

they were talking about men sexualy harassing women in the workplace by touching their hair, it had nothing to do with marshawn being black

that was the clear context of that moment, this one doesn't have any context, its just maher bringing up chicken to a black guy

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado

....lmao

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
they were talking about men sexualy harassing women in the workplace by touching their hair, it had nothing to do with marshawn being black
He reached over and touched him too. My black friends have talked to me about white people wanting to touch their hair or going as far to just do it without even really asking, it's at the least "diet racist" shit but in the context of Maher's past previous actions him doing that cements what people are saying about him.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Progressive Icon Bill Maher strikes again!

"In my life, as I was making my way, I always asked the question, 'Am I the biggest douchebag person in the room?' And the answer needed to be 'Yes'."

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right and out of all the fast food joints he picks a friend chicken joint.

You realize a joke can have more than one point.

Give me a break.
Look, it's possible, and like I said I wouldn't put a racist joke past him because he's done it before, but in this case I think that reading so undermines the joke itself that it doesn't make any sense for me to understand it that way.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
If that's the case it's probably a cheap shot at him working for a organization that has a history with fucking black people and him contributing to it.
No it's not, that's some Olympian reaching right there. It's a racist joke it's not hard to admit when a racist joke is racist. There was a thousand ways to get whatever point Maher was trying to get across. Maher went of his way to pick the most racist way possible.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Look, it's possible, and like I said I wouldn't put a racist joke past him because he's done it before, but in this case I think that reading so undermines the joke itself that it doesn't make any sense for me to understand it that way.

Duuude he went straight to fried chicken, stop it.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Maher is insufferable. I'd probably let a joke like that slide if it were actually funny, but it makes no sense and is just one of those weird, "Are you aware of what you're saying right now?" kinds of things.

It's not a joke that a comedian would tell and it happened to fall flat; it's a joke that old racist dudes would tell to each other at the country club and chuckle.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Consider the dual implications of Hurd's race and also collecting intelligence in the back alley of a Popeyes, an establishment and a fast food genre stereotypically associated with American blacks by racists.

It's either about Hurd's race or Hurd's targets.

None of them are a good look here.
I think it's that Hurd saying "back alleys" conjures an image of inner cities, and he's going for a reference to an inner city establishment.

So he's making a stereotype about the types of businesses in the inner city, and yeah you could make a pretty good argument there's a racial component to why that popped into his mind first. But I don't think it was a direct dig at either Hurd or his targets, as much as just his attempt to conjure a reference to a common chain in inner cities.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He reached over and touched him too. My black friends have talked to me about white people wanting to touch their hair or going as far to just do it without even really asking, it's at the least "diet racist" shit but in the context of Maher's past previous actions him doing that cements what people are saying about him.

i dunno, maher also reached over touched him on the forearm throughout the round-table aswell

given that and mixed with the subject they were talking about it doesn't seem racially suspicious a moment to me, or rather not remotely as suspicious as the moment in this thread

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Agreed. He could have said "Burger King" or "a corner bodega" or something, and the joke would have worked just as well. But again, that's why I'm saying that the joke here isn't racist, he just happened to pick a loaded reference.

It might be a stereotype that he's trying to think of an urban neighborhood with back alleys and "Popeye's chicken" is the first business that pops into his head. But that's not about Hurd or Hurd's race as much as a general idea of inner cities, and it's also not offensive on the same level.

You sound like your brain is struggling right now

"He could have said Burger King and wouldn't be racist!!!! But he chose to say Popeyes which is def racist so that's why what he said isn't racist!!"

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whats makes this weird is that he spent almost his entire segment new rules on defending Alexandria Ocasio Cortez and praised her new green deal proposal so that he is someone who embraces centrists policies is a bit weird.

He basiclly trashed Hillary and said that a true leftist should run for office and he has for quite awhile said he felt we need more people from the left pushing policies which is why he was a fan of what Ocasio Cortez was doing with the new green deal.

Yeah I don't know that Maher *is* a centrist, but he appeals to centrists. He's a daring indulgence for people who wouldn't be able to get thru an episode of Chapo.