• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2020

I can't believe I still have to say this: One is fantasy and the other is not, Bill. How about you find your nuts again rather than going for the low hanging fruit like a good little Republican

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's completely been lost every since the left came at him for his islamophobia in o's second term and #metoo during trump (I don't think he has an accusations just he's clearly a sexist creep and hates having that pointed out)

This literally was a Brietbart tweet and these shootings don't happen in East Asia and Western Europe and they watch the same movies

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Conservative's favorite liberal. They love this guy these days.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Reminds me of this amazing take:

They can't separate fiction from reality.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is that out there. He says during his pie chart segment he knows there are multiple factors that contribute to gun violence (including lax restrictions) and can't put a value on what is most responsible, but we have a culture that celebrates gun violence. It's pretty clearly not a direct cause-- other countries have our films and cultural exports-- but I think it contributes. I don't think Hollywood needs to censor itself, but this seems uniquely American.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I just hope phones and Hollywood never come to my country.

I'd be cool with the means to purchase a tool designed to mass murder people at mine and everyone of my countrymen's finger tips making it's why over though. Because that's clearly not the problem.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This dude is like one show cancellation away from starting on the Glenn Greenwald, mask-off "At least Fox News like me!" circuit.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Makes sense. All the mass shootings that happen in all the countries that Hollywood shows their movies in are proof, piecharts never lie.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is that out there. He says during his pie chart segment he knows there are multiple factors that contribute to gun violence (including lax restrictions) and can't put a value on what is most responsible, but we have a culture that celebrates gun violence. It's pretty clearly not a direct cause-- other countries have our films and cultural exports-- but I think it contributes. I don't think Hollywood needs to censor itself, but this seems uniquely American.
Has there been an increase in mass shootings in Europe or Australia or Canada, Japan, korea. How does this contribute at all?

Gun violence is uniquely American because we have insanely easy access to guns and politicians openly calling for "2nd amendment solutions" it has zero to do with the movies, games or books we consume

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
It's possible that all the other countries that have access to US media just quietly classify all that as "American shit", so, it doesn't affect us the same way as someone who thinks "my shit".

So, sure, maybe that's part of it. I'd bet the everybody can get a gun part is still a bigger factor though. Also, the US might be able to fix it without getting rid of the guns, the Swiss have guns, just understand what it is that allows for the Swiss to have guns and not go on constant murder sprees and do that.

Might be easier to get rid of the guns though.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I've literally never met anyone who watches Bill Maher and he's never come up in any conversation I've ever had.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible that all the other countries that have access to US media just quietly classify all that as "American shit", so, it doesn't affect us the same way as someone who thinks "my shit".

So, sure, maybe that's part of it. I'd bet the everybody can get a gun part is still a bigger factor though. Also, the US might be able to fix it without getting rid of the guns, the Swiss have guns, just understand what it is that allows for the Swiss to have guns and not go on constant murder sprees and do that.

Might be easier to get rid of the guns though.
"The Swiss have guns" is very overblown and comes with extreme security, registration and other restrictions.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
Nah. They may have *some* little bit of influence (same as other small influences), but mass shootings don't happen around the world like they do here in the states. And I'd argue that Hollywood's influence and global box office is larger now then it's ever been.

There are simply too many guns and too much easy access to those guns, especially the assault rifles.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Americans do tend to enjoy violent media but I think the big thing all these points always miss, on purpose or otherwise, is how prevalent guns are everywhere and how easy to access they are.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
He does have a point. Hollywood or really MPA absolutely is weirdly tolerant on violence compared language, sex or drug use. Films like John Wick absolutely make handguns seem cool in the same way as Top Gun makes fighter jets seem cool. The big difference here is access to those things and that is not something that is up to Hollywood to figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.