• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018

Bill Maher and his panel got heated tonight over Brett Kavanaugh as Maher brought up concerns that the "Kavanaugh effect" hurt Democrats in 2018 and it could hurt them again.

Maher brought up some 2018 polling and argued that Democrats could have done better in the 2018 midterms if not for how voters didn't like the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings.
Given the attention on the Supreme Court justice this week and the criticism of the New York Times' story on him, Maher said, "People did not like going after a guy for what he did in high school. It looked bad and now Democrats are talking about impeaching him again?"

[...]
Naftali argued that "the Federalist Society could've found another conservative."
"Of course they could!" Maher cried. "Live in reality, man! That's who they put up. We don't have the votes, and now we lost seats! Are we gonna do it again? Ruth Bader Ginsburg said glowing things about him… What were you like at 17?"

I, for one, am surprised that a noted science denying, racist, misogynistic, islamophobic, anti-vaxxer who platforms and advocates for various alt-right and alt-lite figures would say such a thing.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
"What were you like at 17?!"

much better than Kavanaugh, didn't sexually assault anyone, thanks for asking Bill

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Yea this episode was disgusting.

I like to watch because of the variety of guests, but that NY magazine guys antagonizism, and Mahers ignorance is really making me think I shouldn't watch anymore.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
In my experience (as a guy) guys who say this kind of thing almost always feel guilt about something they have done in the past.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No seriously, what the hell is this answer? Even at 17 when I was a Glenn-Beck watching idiotic fundamental hard right republican I never once thought of women as fucking objects to be raped for my pleasure! How hard is it to grasp that women are people and not things you put your dick in?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
NOT RAPING ANYONE, THAT'S WHAT

jfc it's not that fucking hard

we weren't all serial abusers of women when we were teenagers/young adults!

if this is your reaction to old white men being revealed to be creeps when they were younger, it just means you relate to them because you're a fucking creep too. and bill maher being a creep would be the least fucking surprising thing ever.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
coincidentally at 17 bill maher was probably also telling people that it was okay when he used the n word

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck anyone gives this piece of shit the time of day is beyond me. And it isn't like it is a new thing. He has been a piece of garbage for forever.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I didnt force myself on anyone and never took my wang out.

I saw Bill Burr on Spade saying "lets go back 15 years on everybody!" (about Shane Gillis and cancel culture) Yeah, ok, you wont find any racist shit. This argument makes no sense to me.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah I'm sure the best person to be a Supreme Court justice is someone who committed sexual assault in college and then blatantly lied about it under oath.

It's all perfectly normal behavior and as such worthy of the highest office of the law.

Meanwhile, the optics argument is just baseless conjecture.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Fuck these assholes
giphy.gif

JJ!

Dec 18, 2017
Not a sexually abusive pig. Thats for damn sure. If my eyes rolled any harder they'd be on the fucking moon.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's because, theoretically, Supreme Court Justice is meant to mean something special. There's only a handful of them in each generation and they determine with absolute authority what law is and the direction of society at the most fundamental level. They can change everything with one decision (like Citizens United, Roe v Wade, Brown v Board, Marriage Equality).

The character and integrity of these few people is of vital importance. Kavanaugh lied in his confirmation hearings. He lied in previous confirmation hearings. He showed incredible bias and intemperance. And he was very credibly accused of multiple sexual assaults. He is not fit for any position of importance, especially one so utterly important. The fact he was confirmed anyway is a symbol of how society devalues women and exalts the white male above all.

I'm still mad at how the FBI investigation was a perfunctionary joke, rushed through in a couple of days without interviewing anyone as they begged to be interviewed. Not that I'm surprised.

Oh, and Maher is a piece of shit, and all this says to me is that he has a guilty conscience.

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna have to agree with the poster above about Bill Maher having some skeletons in his closet. Fucking hell.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Might have a bit more of a point if any sort of remorse or introspection was shown. Even then, not really.

Oct 25, 2017
why

do you people keep bringing this PoS up every time? Seriously, the only time Youtube starts pushing his show on me is when I watch something bordering on 'conservative'. The algorithm is perfectly aligned to picking up on any clues of conservativism, so why do you people still bring this man up as if he is somehow on the left side of anything?

We've been over this far too many times before, as well. Just cancel the fucker and be done with it.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I'm someone who believes in rehabilitation and "second chances". People can absolutely change dramatically from their teenage years.

However Bret Kavanaugh denies these things. He flagrantly lied about things during his testimony.

How can he be relied to put out just judgements if he can't even admit things on his calendar?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Maher's telling on himself.

I mean, don't get me wrong...had quite the "phase" in college. Younger Roy LIVED. Can also say with 100% certainty that all the sexual exploration I did at that age was consensual, and didn't involve me pushing an involuntary partner onto a bed at a party and trying to force their clothes off while my friend laughed behind me.

Maher, you're telling on yourself.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Big difference between the typical teenage objectifying women as you come into your own sexuality and sexually assaulting someone.

I never did anything I could conceivably go to jail for at 17 other than drink alcohol.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
why

do you people keep bringing this PoS up every time? Seriously, the only time Youtube starts pushing his show on me is when I watch something bordering on 'conservative'. The algorithm is perfectly aligned to picking up on any clues of conservativism, so why do you people still bring this man up as if he is somehow on the left side of anything?

We've been over this far too many times before, as well. Just cancel the fucker and be done with it.

Yeah my only exposure to Maher this entire year has been on ERA. I honestly wouldn't know half of the shit he was spouting if not for these threads.

Guess it's good to stay up to date on what this guy says? Dude had Milo on his show...

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have to echo the others, not sexually assaulting anyone fir starters.

On top of that though, what I really don't get about people like Maher when they say stuff like this is even if they were right, which they're not, but even if they were... Why would they be satisfied with a world like that, where doing that kinda stuff is considered no big deal? Why would they be okay with such a world, why would they not wish and fight for a world where nobody has to worry about people like Kavanaugh and even if it were "no big deal" fight to create a works where it is and that people like him can't get away with their actions?

Even if people like Maher were right, why in the world would they be okay with that and so meekly and indifferently accept that instead of doing what they can to change that? I just don't get it (I mean, I do, that it seems like they just don't really care that much to begin with, but you know what I mean).

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Have to echo the others, not sexually assaulting anyone fir starters.

On top of that though, what I really don't get about people like Maher when they say stuff like this is even if they were right, which they're not, but even if they were... Why would they be satisfied with a world like that, where doing that kinda stuff is considered no big deal? Why would they be okay with such a world, why would they not wish and fight for a world where nobody has to worry about people like Kavanaugh and even if it were "no big deal" fight to create a works where it is and that people like him can't get away with their actions?

Even if people like Maher were right, why in the world would they be okay with that and so meekly and indifferently accept that instead of doing what they can to change that? I just don't get it (I mean, I do, that it seems like they just don't really care that much to begin with, but you know what I mean).

Compare:

It's right, so we do it
We do it, so it's right

Maher's using the second. It's kind of telling that's where his mind is; it suggests that he doesn't really give a shit about the results of this behaviour.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow. That's a bad take, even for him.

To answer the question, um, I sure wasn't sexually assaulting anyone.