• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

thehill.com

Bill Maher criticizes NFL for playing Black national anthem

HBO’s Bill Maher on Friday took aim at the NFL’s decision to play “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” long considered the Black national anthem, before games this season, calling it “segregation…

Maher said during his Friday show, "Maybe we should get rid of our national anthem, but I think we should have one national anthem."

He continued, "I think when you go down a road where you're having two different national anthems, colleges sometimes now have ... many of them have different graduation ceremonies for Black and white, separate dorms. ... This is what I mean: segregation."

Maher included his commentary within a broader discussion of race, arguing that college campuses and classrooms are becoming a "social justice factory."

"When people say to me sometimes, like, 'Boy, you really go after the left these days. Why?' Because you're embarrassing me," Maher explained. "That's why I'm going after the left in a way you never did before."

"I'm not going to give up on being liberal," he continued. "You're taking children and making them hyperaware of race in a way they wouldn't otherwise be."

This dude sucks so much. Out of touch old white dude needs to accept the fact that he's pretty much a conservative now.

Theylen

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Concern trolling and gaslighting in a thread regarding racism, account in junior phase
I see a lot of anger but no counterpoints. This isn't segregationist? Why not?

Why is dividing people over songs a positive thing? Seems to me this sort of thing is just making America more tribal than it already was

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily think what he said is at all a hot take nor conservative.

I've heard about segregated dorms but not graduation ceremonies. Is that really a thing? The anthem thing I don't really care about, seems like a non-issue.

OP
OP
CharlesAznable
Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of anger but no counterpoints. This isn't segregationist? Why not?

Why is dividing people over songs a positive thing? Seems to me this sort of thing is just making America more tribal than it already was

How about you start by explaining why playing an additional song before the national anthem is segregationist? Did they tell all the white people in the audience to leave?

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The current national anthem was amended to remove slavery references.

Maybe we DO need a new national anthem.

Theylen

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
How about you start by explaining why playing an additional song before the national anthem is segregationist? Did they tell all the white people in the audience to leave?

I mean it's in the definition of segregation isn't it?

the separation for special treatment or observation of individuals or items from a larger group

Why don't other ethnic groups get a song in the stadium?

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Who is the motherfuckers audience?! Who is watching this shit? Who is in the audience?!

From the few people I've known that watch or watched his show, i think it's old liberals who haven't really adjusted to social changes. Some would rather be told that the younger generation of liberals are too soft or stupid rather then change or just be quiet. I think as some people get older they just want to be told that society peaked with their era.

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i-dont-remember-asking-you-pulp-fiction.gif

OP
OP
CharlesAznable
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's in the definition of segregation isn't it?

Why don't other ethnic groups get a song in the stadium?

It's not segregation because both songs are for everybody. Nobody is being seperated... If you actually read the article you would see why they included it

The NFL's decision to include the Black national anthem comes after it was featured at some games during the previous season, including at Super Bowl LV, when players from the Buccaneers and Kansas City Chiefs linked arms as Keys performed the song.

Last edited:

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The current national anthem was amended to remove slavery references.

Maybe we DO need a new national anthem.
Sadly most people don't know the origin of the current national anthem so any discussion about it runs smack into the usual privilege based resistance to even having the discussion. What's really disappointing it's not as if Bill Maher isn't an educated individual, he knows darn good and well why the black community isn't exactly enamored with the current anthem.

edit: cleaned up transcription issue.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
National anthems exist to annoy kids at school on a regular basis. That's all they need to do.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
Wait I never heard about schools having different graduation ceremonies or segregated dorms. Is that even true?
I'm guessing the answer is no and he is taking some fact and distorting it.

OP
OP
CharlesAznable
Oct 25, 2017
Wait I never heard about schools having different graduation ceremonies or segregated dorms. Is that even true?
I'm guessing the answer is no and he is taking some fact and distorting it.

Some schools will have additional graduations for minorities and LGBT groups. The key word is additional, the normal ceremony will still happen and the additional ones are optional and open for everyone to attend not in that group to attend.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Are these words so decisive that white people can't be exposed to them at a sporting event?
Lift every voice and sing
Till earth and heaven ring
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty
Let our rejoicing rise
High as the listening skies
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun
Let us march on till victory is won

May 26, 2018
The only thing it's doing is separating white nationalism from sole ownership of culture here. People don't like that shit, eh.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
With all of the evil the right is up to, all he does is bitch about woke/cancel culture. He has a new audience of 'moderate' chuds he panders to.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Who is the motherfuckers audience?! Who is watching this shit? Who is in the audience?!

As people have said, wealthy white liberals largely, but I think Maher also knows that he's losing any fraction of the young audience he once had at a time when he was saying stuff that was, at the time, against the norm and progressive, like supporting legalized weed and gay marriage. Those opinions are now mainstream, which makes his gross point of views stick out more, so he has been leaning heavily into rightwing stuff for a good while, even more so than he did several years. He's basically a conservative talk show host at this point who happens to smoke pot.

Theylen

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
It's not segregation because both songs are for everybody. If you actually read the article you would see why they included it

"It's for everybody" is a narrative that ignores social context. It gets played because it is controversial, it's "a universal symbol of black identity" and a "symbol of resistance" according to its' own supporters. Our other ethnic minorities aren't feeling bolstered having the song played in the NFL, despite how good the lyrics are

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
"It's for everybody" is a narrative that ignores social context. It gets played because it is controversial, it's "a universal symbol of black identity" and a "symbol of resistance" according to its' own supporters. Our other ethnic minorities aren't feeling bolstered having the song played in the NFL, despite how good the lyrics are

In what context is that song problematic? Does everything in this country have to be white people approved to not be controversial? This sounds like the usual white thing is the default thing that everyone else should be fine with

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think it's stupid that an anthem is played before any league game at all. It should only be for national team matches.

OP
OP
CharlesAznable
Oct 25, 2017

How do you know that? Plenty of Non black people enjoy the song and feel inspired by it. Speak for yourself. Also now you're starting to contradict yourself. Is your argument that the song is segregating because we should only have 1 anthem, or is your argument that it's segregating because other minorities don't also have an equivalent anthem being played? Because these are contradictory positions.