• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Some cliffs for those who don't want to click:

Question's Reade on her timing, contradictions in her story, her praise of Putin. "Don't know, never will, don't care" whether it happened or not in the context of Trump and the upcoming election.

Says Believe Women is for the gullible and that democrats have 'woke' themselves into a corner by following it. Stands by #TakeAccusationsSeriously as the more appropriate message.

bronson

Oct 27, 2017
For a dude that supposedly hates PC culture and all its "restrictions," this dude sure loves to make new rules.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I can't say I disagree with everything he's saying here. I have a lot of the same questions.

WTF

Mar 10, 2018
Didn't just take his mask off

He tore that shit off, threw it to the ground, trampled it under his feet, then spit on it

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Welp. Hopefully some people wake up when they realize they're marching alongside Maher, but it may be a bit much to ask for.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't sound too far from some of the takes here, to be honest. Thankfully, most of them got banned eventually. I hope all you here feeding into the "Reade is a Russian agent" bullshit are proud that you are standing side-by-side with Bill fucking Maher.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Why does the praise of Putin keep coming up? Do people seriously think she's a Russian spy? Do people seriously think a Russian spy would make blog posts praising the leader of their spy organization? What's the logic there?

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Yeah, this doesn't help the situation. I can't think of anyone who takes what Maher says seriously, dude's a total joke.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll stuck to the old "Do the opposite of Maher" rule, it has worked for me so far.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Why do we give this guy a platform here every week? Era says the same thing each time, "fuck him"

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
*sigh* I sort of agree with one part of that video clip. I really wish Tara Reade's story went viral before the Iowa caucus and New Hampshire primary, we might've ended up with a different Democratic nominee.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
If it was October and the choices were set in stone, I'd be more on the side of "it sucks but we have to vote Biden" but right now he is just the presumptive nominee, and honestly, it is quiet hypocritical of the party to not see replacing might be a really good option. Honestly, it just makes it worse if I still have to vote for Biden in November despite knowing about the cloud over him.

It hurts the movement. At least, on a national level. Hopefully it won't hurt women's courage in a every day sense.

As for the Putin stuff, it was written in a different time when there was probably more hope for Russia after the fall of the wall.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
The weird thing is that people like Maher don't seem to get that believe women really is mostly just take accusations seriously. I mean, yes, we're giving these women the benefit of the doubt. In the same way that you do with any crime. When someone says they were robbed, your first thought isn't, but were you really? Same with most crimes. But with rape we somehow default to disbelief, or at least a state of not wanting to take a position. It mostly means don't assume they're lying, like you would with any crime. It doesn't mean those accused don't have the right to defend themselves. It doesn't mean if evidence comes out to suggest they were lying or mistaken somehow it should be ignored. It doesn't mean we think the accused should be thrown in jail without a trial. Those making the argument Maher is know this too, their arguments are disingenuous.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But he believed Christine Blasey Ford despite coming out decades later, right? Why's this "too late" here?

The reality is this is most likely Bill Maher wanting a squeaky clean candidate who doesn't have any scandals or negative history to even entertain giving Trump an advantage. The problem is that candidate has never, ever, ever, ever been someone like Joe Biden.

I'll even go so far as to say that if enough people vote for Trump despite all of Biden's faults, this country is finished, because even all of Biden's terrible history because of who he is still is far better than Trump's sabotage of domestic and international relations.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Reade has contradicted herself.
Timing.
Believe women=take accusations serious
He said vs. she said. There is no proof either way. An accusation isn't enough to disqualify a candidate.
Timing? Of course it's gonna come up when Biden may be nominated president, I would do the same thing too if I was nervous my sexual assaulter/harasser was gonna be president. It's not like it came out of thin air, there's records dating back to the date it supposedly happened.

Nobody is saying it's definitive proof but you also don't have to bring in bullshit lines of reasoning in here.

Also I'd rather have a nominee who wasn't accused of this shit but that's just me

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
the only consistent story she had was the harassment claim. Her brother said it was improper touching one day then a day later had to revise his statement to be consistent with the sexual assault claim.

Again,I'm wondering how this is ok on this board?
I know people will hold on to everything now to discredit her but I'm not about questioning survivors divulging information.
In the box article your about to post she says her self she wasn't feeling safe making the accusations about being assaulted.

I have no issues with her not wanting to talk about being raped and then decided she wants to come forward.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Timing? Of course it's gonna come up when Biden may be nominated president, I would do the same thing too if I was nervous my sexual assaulter/harasser was gonna be president. It's not like it came out of thin air, there's records dating back to the date it supposedly happened.

Nobody is saying it's definitive proof but you also don't have to bring in bullshit lines of reasoning in here.

Also I'd rather have a nominee who wasn't accused of this shit but that's just me
This nominee was a senator and VP. Why come forward now? I'd rather have a nominee who wasn't accused as well, what's your point?
An accusation isn't enough for me to call for a different candidate. After all, it's an accusation, that doesn't make it true. We don't know either way.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
He sounds like every democrat I see on my FB feed with the "take accusations seriously" stuff. He's not liberal so I'm not exactly shocked by his stance. If anything it's a reflection of the uphill battle you have against the rest of the party that consists of moderate democrats.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well #MeToo and the model set by Christine Blasey Ford happened between then and now.
I'm with #metoo and Ford. Always have been. There are big differences between Ford and Reade.

the biggest difference is that Ford has never praised Kavanaugh in Twitter. Not to mention the timing and circumstances.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
And the neighbor who says Reade told her about the assault back in the '90s? Did this get debunked somewhere and I missed it? Or are you just ignoring it?
I'd ignore any claims that came out after it was public in regards to her own allegations. Normally, you're supposed to independently vet different sources of information so that you can compare stories. Sadly, that cannot be done anymore. If Joe Biden does not get punished for this and he did it, it'd be on Rich McHugh, Katie Halper, and the intercept for their shoddy reporting. They did it a manner that would always make it a he said / she said situation. There's a reason witnesses are interviewed independently in criminal proceedings.

like Tara Reade deserves justice. If she was harrassed, Joe Biden should offer an apology. Donate money to women's groups as well as pay her for pain and suffering. If he assaulted her, he should not be president and do all of the aforementioned. However, I believe the journalists above ended up taking those possibilities away from her.

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
technically speaking no. You have more power for policy in the senate and the house.
Not really. The Senate as a whole has more policy making power than the president, but that's not the same as a single senator having that power. Not to mention that even without being a part of the senate, the president is the leader and face of their political party while in office and thus has way more sway with the senate than a single senator would, meaning they have more power over the senate even if they're not participating directly.

And that's before we get to the fact that what matters here would be what the victim perceives as more powerful, and the victim could be incorrect in that regard

KamalaHarris

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Dismissing allegations of sexual assault.
I agree with his argument 100%. no longer going to give attention to this story and just focus on getting Trump out of office by making sure Biden wins

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
Bill Maher is an asshole. But I am ok with doing away with "Believe women" and replacing it with something like "Take accusations seriously". I never took "believe women" to mean that the accused is guilty but lot of people, especially here, seem to think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.