• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
If he didn't want to vote for Trump he would have flat out said it. Honestly you're the one drawing conclusions that aren't there. He is leaving his vote up for grabs for now, his quotes are pretty easy to understand. Sorry if you are having trouble with that.

Gates top priority is the foundation he and his wife are running. Getting political disrupts funding and volunteers. He was trying to deflect. If you have watched gates or read his blog it is abundantly clear he is a Democrat or at least leans left.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
It's absolutely astonishing that so many gloss over the proper context and go right at each others throat's over something so obviously misrepresented.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Gates top priority is the foundation he and his wife are running. Getting political disrupts funding and volunteers. He was trying to deflect. If you have watched gates or read his blog it is abundantly clear he is a Democrat or at least leans left.
Then he shouldn't have said anything if it disrupts his activities.

dantevsninjas

Oct 27, 2017
Bill gets a free pass from me. Because he will be using all his money for greater good. He is legit saving millions of lives each year. I can't even comprehend that. So my take is, instead of giving the money to corrupt government, where only certain % of his money will be used to help other. Why wouldn't he contribute all of it to his foundation where 100% will go to the people in need.

He is probably afraid that the wealth tax will destroy is foundation. He considers it is life work more than probably Microsoft from his point of view.

The reason these people create foundations rather than just giving it away is because that actually allows them to only be legally required to use a small portion of those funds for actual philanthropy. So no, 100% of that money doesn't go to people in need. Also, why should billionaires get to hoard money if they promise to donate a small portion to whatever their pet cause is when it can actually be put to greater use? People need to do some actual research on how this shit works. Billionaire philanthropy is a fucking con.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Cagey billionaire defense force is WILD
I am sorry that I won't accept the premise that it is ok to lie and manipulate as long as the person you are talking about is a "bad guy".

There is NOTHING Gates could have said in this interview that would have resulted in a positive response. People take what he says, find a way to twist it in a way that paints him as poorly as possible while leaving out important details, then run with it.

I have no real opinion on Gates one way or the other, but this thread is gross.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
♪ Money speaks for money, the Devil for his own ♪

♪ Who'll come to speak for the skin and the bone? ♪

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3 thing.

I think you are confusing absolute values with percentage. He have more wealth when it started, but of course, don't change he donated 50 billion.

I'm not gonna knock on his foundation to not wanting to spend their endowment to zero if this makes it sustainable and will outlast him.

If the wealth is generated by his foundation the beneficiary of the wealth is not himself but his foundation. (Even his name is on it, it's not like he can take money out of it)
It completely changes the statement "he spent half his wealth" though. He hasn't. He has spent 50 billion on his philanthropy...but in ways that were intentionally designed to make him more money. That's no accident.

The foundation IS Gates, he controls the mission and goals of the foundation. The distinction is meaningless in this case when he dictates what the foundation does and the foundation ultimately answers only to him.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm stepping out of this one. Some of these posts are frustrating to read through

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why people are jumping in front of buses for him.
Probably because the article and the OP frame an incorrect picture by leaving out very important parts of his quote.
I mean, sure: we could all follow this false narrative and join the hate train, but that would be boring.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Bill gets a free pass from me. Because he will be using all his money for greater good. He is legit saving millions of lives each year. I can't even comprehend that. So my take is, instead of giving the money to corrupt government, where only certain % of his money will be used to help other. Why wouldn't he contribute all of it to his foundation where 100% will go to the people in need.
All of it? You're saying gates lives in poverty ? Lol no the dude is just better than some other greedy billionaires he's no saint. He got his and does charity. That's it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

A free pass on what?

But sure governments social services are a fraud, billionaire philanthropy is the real solution.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Fuck yourself Bill Gates. However would you live with only 800 million dollars. All billionares are the same...
Damn...like do you hear yourself. You're saying he should just give up a majority of his money?

So from 109 billion to 800 million and he should be ok with that? Get real
Anyone going to bat for Bill Gates or any other billionaire, I urge them to consider why these individuals are allowed to have this much power. Why is one man allowed to independently affect global welfare? Did you vote for Bill Gates to be this powerful? Did I vote for him to have this influence? Why should the extremely wealthy be given the role of arbiter of altruism? Why does Bill Gates get the choice in the first place? What makes him more capable than anyone else?

We are all trying to get paid he just did it better, they can have the power because they worked their way up to that power. It's not like he was just handed all this money for nothing.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
See, was that so hard?

If Bill Gates wasn't going to vote for Trump he would have just said so. He's leaving the door open like every other billionaire that is terrified of Sanders or Warren.

Also, all the people praising this as "smart" for his foundation's donations:

He's not using weasel words because he wants to present a front of civility for the sake of his foundation. It's a veiled threat against progressive candidates. "If you do something me or my wealthy friends dislike, maybe we'll just take our ball and go over to another yard."

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'll never understand the pure hate for Bill Gates here on Era

Look at this thread. Deceptive quotations created a fictitious narrative that triggered confirmation bias and a lot of people are trying to outdo each other in boasting about how shit Gates is and to fuck all the rich, ROFL

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you're in a position of privilege like Bill Gates, and you're ambivalent about voting against Trump, then you care nothing about this world.

No private foundation can cover for that.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

He's not using weasel words because he wants to present a front of civility for the sake of his foundation. It's a veiled threat against progressive candidates. "If you do something me or my wealthy friends dislike, maybe we'll just take our ball and go over to another yard."

No it isn't.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn...like do you hear yourself. You're saying he should just give up a majority of his money?

So from 109 billion to 800 million and he should be ok with that? Get real

We are all trying to get paid he just did it better, they can have the power because they worked their way up to that power.
"You didn't build that"

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Jeremy I don't think what he said matches your interpretation. Saying you're not going to make any political declarations in the interview isn't the same as being undecided. He then says what he'll consider is who is more "professional," which seems like a clear indication of not voting for Trump (the least professional person in almost any room).

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The man gets political all the time. He has massive amounts of control over policy in numerous African nations. He funds a significant portion of a bunch of different mainstream media outlets. He funds ideological projects like anti-union campaigns and privatization of education. Just because he doesn't set up a super PAC for this or that candidate doesn't mean his expenditures are unpolitical.

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am sorry that I won't accept the premise that it is ok to lie and manipulate as long as the person you are talking about is a "bad guy".

There is NOTHING Gates could have said in this interview that would have resulted in a positive response. People take what he says, find a way to twist it in a way that paints him as poorly as possible while leaving out important details, then run with it.

I have no real opinion on Gates one way or the other, but this thread is gross.

Re: the bolded part

That's because actions speak louder than words, and his actions largely suck. His philanthropy is a smoke screen that obfuscates how much his actions suck.

But also his words sucked, too.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Fucking! Preach!

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I will edit the OP to include the link to the whole video, but I definitely don't think his unwillingness to denounce Trump when given the choice helps his cause any.

the misleading quotes and tone of the article still exists, posting a link to the entire interview at the end of long post, with no commentary or context, come on man.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EIud_YBX0AEot4N.jpg

P R O F E S S I O N A L

captureshkiz.png

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I'm literally watching the video now, fwiw.
How long after creating an inflammatory thread and writing paragraphs about a skewed version of the interview, forming your opinion based on a Twitter thread?

That being said, I don't think whether or not Gates said "just kidding" after his comment undoes the larger systemic concerns about billionaires.
Nope, but he sure does address some larger systemic concerns in the video you're just now bothering to watch.
Not trying to drag you, but take this as a learning moment about forming conclusions based on incomplete information please.

I also don't think anything less than unequivocally denouncing Trump when asked about a match-up between Trump and any potential Democratic candidate deserves the least bit of praise.
Who's praising him for that comment? At best, folks like me are saying he was clearly throwing shade at Trump. Like, it's OBVIOUS. My kid has issues with social cues like this, and I'm NOT calling you a kid... but I've seen interviews with Bill and read the occasional AMA he's done. He's no hero, don't get me wrong. But dude IS FULL of dry humor. Always has been. That's not an endorsement of him or billionaires or anything of the sort. It's an observation about his personality (or persona, if you want to think he's putting on a show and is secretly some kind of eugenicist, as some seriously believe). That's it.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Jeremy I don't think what he said matches your interpretation. Saying you're not going to make any political declarations in the interview isn't the same as being undecided. He then says what he'll consider is who is more "professional," which seems like a clear indication of not voting for Trump (the least professional person in almost any room).
Someone of his stature shouldn't be ambiguous about it. He's a big boy, he can say he won't vote for Trump if he wants to. He danced around the question in the most painfully obvious way regardless of how the article is trying to contextualize his words.

Damisa

Oct 25, 2017
Gates is doing far more good with his foundation than what the US government would do with that money, a lot of it would be wasted on corruption and bombing foreign countries. The problem is most billionaires aren't like Gates, so Warren's plan would overall do more good.

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sure, let me just give the benefit of the doubt to the billionaire who amassed his fortune by exploiting people and who can't take a firm public stance of saying he'll vote against a fascist running concentration camps.

It is. Take your cape off, for a second. Unless he's paying you, which I doubt, have some self-respect and stop going to bat for billionaires who don't even know you exist.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It completely changes the statement "he spent half his wealth" though. He hasn't. He has spent 50 billion on his philanthropy...but in ways that were intentionally designed to make him more money. That's no accident.

How that make so? he is worth 100, he donated 50. Even without considering compound interest on the money he donated at most you can say that he actually donated 33% 100+ /(50 + 100)

The foundation IS Gates, he controls the mission and goals of the foundation. The distinction is meaningless in this case when he dictates what the foundation does and the foundation ultimately answers only to him.

It's not his money anymore. He can decide how to steer it and where to put the money. But do not make it less a charity.

A donation to a plant a tree foundation and a donation some other people that will decide how to use the money(for specific purpose) are both donations.

ChasingANiche

Oct 26, 2017
We are all trying to get paid he just did it better, they can have the power because they worked their way up to that power. It's not like he was just handed all this money for nothing.
So in this world view, the only test of if someone should have power is solely dependent on their ability to make money. That simply by having wealth, that justifies his necessity to own said wealth. Is this the argument you are making, or are there other criteria I'm not seeing?

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This blowing up everywhere tonight has been disappointing, driven by people with an agenda or who jumped to conclusions without fully understanding the situation. Bill Gates has philanthropic duties to his foundation and to its patrons and so he tried to stay on message regarding his mission and avoid overt declarations of political support, but it was fairly clear what he was implying. None of which was controversial.

"I"ll vote for the more professional candidate" - I'll almost certainly be voting Democrat.

"And I hope that candidate is electable" - I have doubts Warren or Bernie can win the election.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Someone of his stature shouldn't be ambiguous about it. He's a big boy, he can say he won't vote for Trump if he wants to. He danced around the question in the most painfully obvious way regardless of how the article is trying to contextualize his words.
No, someone of his stature should be rather guarded and judicious in what they say in interviews.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, let me just give the benefit of the doubt to the billionaire who amassed his fortune by exploiting people and who can't take a firm public stance of saying he'll vote against a fascist running concentration camps.

It is. Take your cape off, for a second. Unless he's paying you, which I doubt, have some self-respect and stop going to bat for billionaires who don't even know you exist.

No it isn't. Like, it objectively isn't. You can believe what ever you want, and I'm sure being wrong may not be that important to you when choosing what to think, but that's not correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.