• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
I'm not sure which part of this story is more infuriating: that he'll be able to do this at all, his getting off on a technicality in the first place, or the fact that he has (seemingly) so much damn support from all around.

All of it. It's all so damn infuriating.

I feel so bad for his victims.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Wow. Pretty shameless.

I would imagine that any comedy tour would have a good about of hecklers (and for good reason).

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking prosecutor needs to be slapped in the teeth by those upon whom Cosby preyed. Cosby himself can go live in a ditch, and fuck anybody who puts money in his pocket to listen to his "experience."
Just read about the DA who fumbled it
But the decision centres around a non-prosecution agreement struck with Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr in 2005. The attorney gave Cosby his "assurance that he would not be charged in the case", The New York Times (NYT) reports.

"Castor testified that while there was insufficient evidence to bring a criminal prosecution, he had given Mr Cosby the assurance to encourage him to testify in a subsequent civil case brought by Ms. Constand," the paper adds.
So who is this guy?
Bruce Lee Castor Jr.[1] (born October 24, 1961)[2][3] is an American lawyer and retired Republican politician from Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. He was appointed as the first Solicitor General of Pennsylvania in March 2016, and also first deputy attorney general the following July. Castor became acting attorney general less than a month later. He led for the defense of the second impeachment trial of Donald Trump along with American lawyer David Schoen.[4]
Yup, a Trumper scumbag piece of shit.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
But word of mouth is not enough to full convict someone. As far as I know besides his own testimony to settle a case, there has been nothing substantial to convict him of.
Yeah, Cosby's mouth.

He admitted and got off because his admission was given in exchange for immunity.

Jesus Fucking Christmas.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Cosby is an abhorrent human being.

Just read about the DA who fumbled it

So who is this guy?

Yup, a Trumper scumbag piece of shit.

Both DAs fumbled this. It was explained many times in the trial that he had the agreement and the current DA still chose to prosecute. There was no conviction without that testimony and he knew it. Trying to get around the 5th Amendment this way was never going to end well.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Cosby's mouth.

He admitted and got off because his admission was given in exchange for immunity.

Jesus Fucking Christmas.
Yup. He wasn't released because he was innocent. He was released on a technicality. I know it's fictional, but Freddy Krueger was released on a technicality. Sometimes the investigators and lawyers fuck up the whole process. Again, that don't mean the perp is innocent, especially if the perp admitted and went into detail about what he did.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
How does he have any friends, celeb or otherwise and who would make this shit.
George_and_Ellen.0.png

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Yup. He wasn't released because he was innocent. He was released on a technicality. I know it's fictional, but Freddy Krueger was released on a technicality. Sometimes the investigators and lawyers fuck up the whole process. Again, that don't mean the perp is innocent, especially if the perp admitted and went into detail about what he did.

I wouldn't say technicality but an inept DA. The DA thought he could get around the 5th Amendment which everyone told him was a bad idea, even during the trial.

Kemiko

Oct 5, 2018
Wow, so much for being too old and frail to stand trial or walk properly.

Time to watch the places that endorse/promote and welcome him and then avoid all of them forever. This is a man that ADMITTED to his guilt, was convicted on that and other aspects. Then only got off because of a technicality and now wants us to pretend he never admitted it and was innocent all along. Get fucked.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
pls just return to jail

sadly tons of people don't even believe he's guilty; I've spoken to people, both republicans and democrats, who were in complete disbelief and viewed his jailing as a con

it's pathetic. let rapists go to fucking jail

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
"How To Be a Better Person" by Convicted Serial Rapist Who Got Off On a Technicality.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The o my audience this guy would have in the U.K. are probably the weirdos that supported him during the trail. I don't know anybody who is under 60 (my parents generation) who has any idea who he is beyond this whole situation.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Wow. Pretty shameless.

I would imagine that any comedy tour would have a good about of hecklers (and for good reason).

How many hecklers did CK have?

Cosby was America's dad for a while there. He's going to get people to pay money to see him. Some for the nostalgia, others just outta curiosity and then finally the fringe supporters who think he was wrongly 'canceled'.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
His case had to get thrown out on appeal because the prosecutor cut some corners.
Y'all really need to stop phrasing it like this. He gave testimony in a civil suit in exchange for immunity from criminal prosecution, which a different DA completely ignored & used his testimony to prosecute him. That violated his Fifth Amendment rights. That's not "cutting corners" like it was some kind of procedural error.

Cosby needs to rot in all the different hells that exist, but let's at least get the details right.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Louis CK just showed back up at clubs when he decided he had served his time.
Bruh.
Louis CK fucked up. I get it. He fucked up.

Cosby is in a different galaxy, man. Dude DRUGGED women. He had his way with unconscious women. Last count was 60+. For DECADES.
Cosby is a dude who was a fucking pillar. A pillar for comedians, a pillar for educators, a pillar for fathers, a pillar for the black community. He was one of the best success stories of the 20th century.
Fucker threw all of that away. He would have tarnished his legacy having done that to ONE woman. He salted the damn earth with the amount of victims he has.
The way he went to prison was bullshit, and it sucks that they had to pull some backhanded shady shit that didn't work because he's rich, because the legal system works for the rich.
However Cosby is still a person that should never again be able to get paid to speak publicly. I'm trippin' that ANY venue would host him, and can't imagine it ever going well for him.

Louis CK is a pervert. He will say that himself.
Bill Cosby is a predator. He has abused dozens of women, and in no way should he ever be given a forum. I'd wish worse upon him, but I don't want to get banned.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Bruh.

Cosby is in a different galaxy, man. Dude DRUGGED women. He had his way with unconscious women. Last count was 60+. For DECADES.
Cosby is a dude who was a fucking pillar. A pillar for comedians, a pillar for educators, a pillar for fathers, a pillar for the black community. He was one of the best success stories of the 20th century.
Fucker threw all of that away. He would have tarnished his legacy having done that to ONE woman. He salted the damn earth with the amount of victims he has.
The way he went to prison was bullshit, and it sucks that they had to pull some backhanded shady shit that didn't work because he's rich, because the legal system works for the rich.
However Cosby is still a person that should never again be able to get paid to speak publicly. I'm trippin' that ANY venue would host him, and can't imagine it ever going well for him.

Bill Cosby is a predator. He has abused dozens of women, and in no way should he ever be given a forum. I'd wish worse upon him, but I don't want to get banned.
Louis CK used his position of power to hold women against their will and perform sexual acts in front of them. Just because he didn't touch them doesn't mean it wasn't sexual assault. And the only reason we know he stopped is because he was caught. Had there not been a culture of increased accountability, he could have easily done it for decades. And he faced almost no censure. No civil suits. He lost out on a few deals and had to stop doing comedy for 6 months. That's it. He was probably the most prominent comic in the business at the time of the revelations. Yes, raping and drugging and women is worse, but there's no "okay" level of sexual crimes.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Bruh.

The public and venues don't really care how much of a predator you are. Polanski still gets accolades and Cosby is infinitely more popular and profitable than him. Venues will bend over backwards to get a slice of that money. As far as CK goes if any regular person did the shit he did they'd beat best a social pariah. Just because he made some good TV and standup doesn't mean sexual abusing women is just being a pervert and not serial abuse.

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all really need to stop phrasing it like this. He gave testimony in a civil suit in exchange for immunity from criminal prosecution, which a different DA completely ignored & used his testimony to prosecute him. That violated his Fifth Amendment rights. That's not "cutting corners" like it was some kind of procedural error.

Cosby needs to rot in all the different hells that exist, but let's at least get the details right.
You're correct but I'm not a lawyer and I don't know the proper level of fuckery to label the second prosecutor's actions.

To me, it sounds like they did something extremely wrong which makes a lot of their past convictions look shaky and should not be a prosecutor anymore. Would it be fair to word it like that or is this type of misconduct something that frequently happens?

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Cosby going on a tour is a good idea. Someone would get the idea of participating in outlaw justice for Cosby's actions against women. He should go hide with his money and not be anywhere ever again. He got off on a prosecutor abusing his rights and he's lucky he didn't die in prison.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Fox News just brought in a new cohost to shake up Gutfeld!

"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome a heroic survivor of cancel culture and convicted sexual assaulter Bill Cosby"

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
You're correct but I'm not a lawyer and I don't know the proper level of fuckery to label the second prosecutor's actions.

To me, it sounds like they did something extremely wrong which makes a lot of their past convictions look shaky and should not be a prosecutor anymore. Would it be fair to word it like that or is this type of misconduct something that frequently happens?
Well, things like mishandling evidence, using inadmissible statements, perjury... those things can be labeled as "technicalities" because that all has to do with the procedure of prosecuting someone.

With Cosby, he never should've gotten a criminal trial to begin with. He only gave his statement under the assumption that he would avoid jail time in exchange for voiding his right to plead the Fifth. Otherwise, he would've just plead the Fifth, and we likely get no justice at all in a "he said, she said" civil suit. The DA using what is essentially a coerced incriminating statement given under specific & completely separate legal pretenses (a civil lawsuit between private citizens) to criminally prosecute Cosby, while ignoring the agreement Cosby made with his predecessor, is a pretty blatant violation of the Constitution. That's no technicality, it's an outright abuse of legal power & of the law.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Louis CK used his position of power to hold women against their will and perform sexual acts in front of them. Just because he didn't touch them doesn't mean it wasn't sexual assault. And the only reason we know he stopped is because he was caught. Had there not been a culture of increased accountability, he could have easily done it for decades. And he faced almost no censure. No civil suits. He lost out on a few deals and had to stop doing comedy for 6 months. That's it. He was probably the most prominent comic in the business at the time of the revelations. Yes, raping and drugging and women is worse, but there's no "okay" level of sexual crimes.
I'm actually not sure the bolded is true, as I thought all of the allegations (and rumors of incidents well before the NYT story broke) were largely in the early/mid 00s? But I could be remembering wrong.

And while Louis did "come back" a couple years later, his tour was at decidedly smaller venues. I am sure there will be a sickening number of venues that book Cosby, and I'm sure that he will make enough from those gigs to be financially comfortable for whatever's left of his life. But I don't think he'll drawing in anywhere near the kind of audience that an alternate-timeline, non-rapist Cosby could be doing.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
He was already trying to do a comeback tour before prison, I thought?

Even without the conviction, I don't think I'd want to go see an 83 year old man do standup. It'll just sound like an old man complaining things aren't like they were 50-70 years ago and I get that enough from family.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This feels like one of the numerous 2020 curses that got delayed a whole year into 2021.