• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Surprised to see a lot of Era liking this. Great attitude you all have towards women I guess. At one point he was basically pointing out that white men do have power over white women but fuck them for seeking out equality too because they're further up the chain than others?

Is Me Too just completely forgotten about already? Or is that the thing he's referring to them skipping to the front of the line, and it's worth a laugh over because they weren't right to do it?

Yeah it's a comedy but, I get it, I just wouldn't think so many people are ignorant to the ways that this form of comedy is damagingly ignorant.

I personally didn't find it all that funny, but I think you are missing the facetious tone. Seems obvious to me he was pointing out the hypocrisy of white women who vote against their own interests

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody thinks that. Calm down.

If his comedy set actually upsets you that much, then I hate to say it, but I don't think that stand up comedy is for you. But that's ok, it doesn't have to be, cuz it's not for everyone.

I was merely asking you why you think mocking the idea of Pride month existing is funny.

But thanks for the patronization.

I didn't realize all of stand up comedy hinges on thinking it's hilarious for a cis straight guy to wonder why Queers need a month

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Also, this post reminds me. The reason why white women are able to get away with much of this is subliminally the idea drilled down of the 'white family' and that they must be protected at all costs which automatically gives them sympathy not afforded to other POC's. Not that anyone actually cares about them as far as gender is concerned which is why amped up misogyny goes hand in hand with racist movements, but that they are a part of 'our team' (the oftmentioned protecting of white babies).

Hence this post, where there's no mention of the fact that the joke was strictly about racism but throws up #metoo (a black woman's movement) as a shield. etc. As opposed to engaging with Burrs point, with all the replies in the post, it's focus is strictly protecting white women from any sort of critique.

https://everydayfeminism.com/2016/07/protect-white-womanhood/

In her book The Fair Sex: White Women and Racial Patriarchy in the Early American Republic, Pauline Schloesser traces some historical ideas about white womanhood. She explains that the idea of "the fair sex" directly tied white womanhood to domesticity and sexual purity.

These ideas emerge even more in the nineteenth century with the myth of the "Cult of True Womanhood." "True Women" – which were limited to white, mainly upper class women – were expected to uphold the four virtues of piety, purity, submission, and domesticity. These "virtues" were directly tied to white women's sexuality and ability to reproduce.

Dora Apel goes into this more in Imagery of Lynching: Black Men, White Women, and the Mob. She says, "White women where thus considered naturally superior because of the purity of their whiteness… [They are] assigned a single, undivided nature; she is a vessel for reproduction who remains somehow untouched by sexual drives."

Because white women's value was directly tied to their purity, it became the duty of white men to make sure they were pristine. White women were seen as objects whose only duty is was to continue the white race.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
...thats not actually what he said.

You're right he also reduced queer culture to tank tops, no body fat and two dudes kissing and how ridiculous it is we have June because we weren't really oppressed.

You're not going to try and convince me that his comments about Black History Month being in February somehow hinges on first mocking Pride month are you? That there was no way to get there without first casting Pride as some sort of ridiculous frivolity?

The absurdity of a straight cis white guy playing oppression Olympics with two minority groups on Network tv is the only real joke there.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The joke about Pride Month was not that it shouldn't exist, but rather wondering why do LGBT people get a full 30 days during the summer full of parades and black people get February, which is the shortest month during a miserable time of year, and no parades.

His solution wasn't to end Pride. It was to put Black History Month right after it, so that everyone gets an awesome summer month, and black LGBT people in particular get 61 days.

He was literally being intersectional by first subverting the point through the questioning of Pride Month.

Nothing he said about that was wrong either.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
The joke about Pride Month was not that it shouldn't exist, but rather wondering why do LGBT people get a full 30 days during the summer full of parades and black people get February, which is the shortest month during a miserable time of year, and no parades.

His solution wasn't to end Pride. It was to put Black History Month right after it, so that everyone gets an awesome summer month, and black LGBT people in particular get 61 days.

He was literally being intersectional by first subverting the point through the questioning of Pride Month.

Yup. There's also the basic idea that Pride tends to be so exclusionary that separate 'Black Pride' events have to be thrown to get any kind of visibility, lol.

-edit-

www.nbcnews.com

Opinion | White gay privilege exists all year, but it hurts the most during Pride

Although we share the same oppressors, white queer folks must come to terms with the fact that they play a role in the harm experienced by their Black and Brown siblings.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

And point of reducing pride month to a bunch of mostly gay male stereotypes was?

Keep in mind Burr has a history of being transphobic to boot.

Everything he said about Black History Month could have been done without dragging in Pride Month, stereotyping to all hell and painting it with an air of frivolity.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
And point of reducing pride month to a bunch of mostly gay male stereotypes was?

Keep in mind Burr has a history of being transphobic to boot.
The beginning of the joke has him unknowingly in a Pride parade, which he characterizes as a sudden claustrophobic gathering. He asks someone to explain and they say "It's Pride Month." The stereotypical acts he named were acts that were going on during the Parade, to point out the obviousness of his previously ambiguous location and to shit on himself for being an out-of-touch old white man who couldn't tell he was indeed in a Pride Parade.

He was not saying that's all Pride Month is, nor was he deriding LGBT people. To say "Two guys kissing" or "Rainbow flags" in the manner and context he did was not homophobic.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The beginning of the joke has him unknowingly in a Pride parade, which he characterizes as a sudden claustrophobic gathering. He asks someone to explain and they say "It's Pride Month." The stereotypical acts he named were acts that were going on during the Parade, to point out the obviousness of his previously ambiguous location and to shit on himself for being an out-of-touch old white man who couldn't tell he was indeed in a Pride Parade.

He was not saying that's all Pride Month is, nor was he deriding LGBT people. To say "Two guys kissing" or "Rainbow flags" in the manner and context he did was not homophobic.

Pride month here only exists in the joke to be presented as a frivolity in contrast to Black History Month.

I don't really think it's intersectional and he doesn't put the same level of effort into deconstructing the whiteness of pride the way he deconstructed the privilege and entitlement of white women. He absolutely speaks of pride as if it is something just frivolous.

I just don't think we can take his views on white women as righteous accurate political speech (which again it is) but then turn around and say that when he says LGBT people don't need a whole month, that now all of a sudden he doesn't mean it.

It exists in this only to make the argument that it makes it even extra ridiculous that Black History Month is in February.

And again Burr has a history of transphobia so he doesn't really get my benefit of doubt.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
Imo he is right. Many white people join the protest to feel better about themselves rather than really caring about the black community. The real fight whit allies have to fight is not in the streets, but at home or our workplaces.

If you are marching in the streets but choose to remain silent during thanksgiving when your parents go on a racist rant about BLM because "they are family" than you are no ally at all. Unless you are willing to pay the iron price and cut off even your own family when they stand firmly on the side on injustice than everything you do is just so you can feel better about yourself.

At least in my opinion.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
My favorite Burr bits are his routines about how he was brought up, and the poisonous ideas about masculinity that were drilled into his head. He's great at lampooning that stuff.

He laughs about his dad now, but there's a video of him earlier in his career, where he actually starts to get emotional about how awful his dad was to him at times.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't this guy have a history of misogyny? Not that I've checked this clip I'm just kind of confused. I know a few people who have honestly horrible views about women who absolutely adore him as they see him 'fighting their corner' per se.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
It's too bad he opted to make this salient point sandwiched in between boring ass cancel culture complaing and doing a weird cis straight white man thing of pitting black folk against LGBT folk in some sort of oppression Olympics bullshit over history months.

Lucky for him white women threw fits on Twitter so everyone is just ignoring the rest of his monologue. Which is fine I guess because this point is spot on, but Bill Burr is a classic case of hit some miss some

Yep, the big thing for me when it comes to Burr is when he hits, he hits hard.

When he misses, he is so close to getting it right, but misses hard. And it takes him a while to course correct.

That's why I can't fuck with him like others do. I can't handwave the shit he gets so wrong.

He was right about his main point about white women. And I am happy he acknowledged POC LGBTQs too.

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

thank you.gif

its amazing how people miss this.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
thank you.gif

its amazing how people miss this.
They ain't missing shit - its all subterfuge.

The very point is how the plight and movement of POC is often co-opted and outright taken over by white people/women - and its happening in this very thread. This thread is now no longer about PoC.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Watching the actual video... I think both of you have a point. Black pride month being moved to a summer month would indeed make it easier for people to celebrate it, and I frankly and unironically think it would be a pretty good idea, although being a cishet white guy myself, there may be a lot of nuance I'm missing.

At the same time, I have to wonder how commited he, himself, would be to the idea, beyond making a joke about it; comments like "gay people get a full month, and they weren't even enslaved" frankly border oppression Olympics and dissention sowing. Gay and transgender people may not have been enslaved, but, like black people, were and continue to be murdered; in many countries, legally.

Multiple groups can be oppressed at the same time. I think a white dude should probably handle this issue with a bit more care than riling up animosity between LGBT and black people for a punchline. But it's also true he brings up some very good points about black people being the group most often swept under the rug in terms of visibility.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They ain't missing shit - its all subterfuge.

The very point is how the plight and movement of POC is often co-opted and outright taken over by white people/women - and its happening in this very thread. This thread is now no longer about PoC.
Damn those sneaky gays on ResetEra and their not wanting their plight to belittled by a heterosexual man

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
Watching the actual video... I think both of you have a point. Black pride month being moved to a summer month would indeed make it easier for people to celebrate it, and I frankly and unironically think it would be a pretty good idea, although being a cishet white guy myself, there may be a lot of nuance I'm missing.

At the same time, I have to wonder how commited he, himself, would be to the idea, beyond making a joke about it; comments like "gay people get a full month, and they weren't even enslaved" frankly border oppression Olympics and dissention sowing. Gay and transgender people may not have been enslaved, but, like black people, were and continue to be murdered; in many countries, legally.

Multiple groups can be oppressed at the same time. I think a white dude should probably handle this issue with a bit more care than riling up animosity between LGBT and black people for a punchline. But it's also true he brings up some very good points about black people being the group most often swept under the rug in terms of visibility.

But he's literally acknowledging the intersection by talking about the folks who would get 61 days. This is why I can't see it as an oppression Olympics.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Damn those sneaky gays on ResetEra and their not wanting their plight to belittled by a heterosexual man
He is asking for Intersectionality of BHM and Pride.

Stating it a net benefit - 61 Days of summer revelry and celebration for gay people and black people.

This thread is now about that instead of the original point.

the 'sneaky gays' rhetoric is a project of your imagination - so please do no attempt to tar me with that brush.

Nov 9, 2017
This is kind of a surprise. I listened to his podcast one time and it was just a rant about how women are terrible and calling them "bitches" and "whores" because some white guy felt mistreated after he was dumped. Seemed like MRA crap against all women of all colors to me.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Pride month here only exists in the joke to be presented as a frivolity in contrast to Black History Month.

I don't really think it's intersectional and he doesn't put the same level of effort into deconstructing the whiteness of pride the way he deconstructed the privilege and entitlement of white women. He absolutely speaks of pride as if it is something just frivolous.

I just don't think we can take his views on white women as righteous accurate political speech (which again it is) but then turn around and say that when he says LGBT people don't need a whole month, that now all of a sudden he doesn't mean it.

It exists in this only to make the argument that it makes it even extra ridiculous that Black History Month is in February.

And again Burr has a history of transphobia so he doesn't really get my benefit of doubt.
I don't think he's saying that LGBT people don't need a whole month because the solution to the issue he saw wasn't to get rid of Pride, but to simply give black people the month after, and ultimately brought up the positive consequence of black LGBT people getting 61 days, which is a recognition of intersectionality.

And while he approached a deconstruction of how whiteness and Pride intersect ("You guys weren't enslaved,") a guy like Burr was not about to A) Do it well, because he's probably not knowledgeable enough to do it, and B) Make that part of the bit when the entire set up to the Black History Month punchline was the deliberate offense caused by merely questioning the existence of Pride Month. To do that, I think, would've been way too much and would've been kicking LGBT people unnecessarily. It is just enough playing at the line to say "Why do you guys get a month (dramatic pause)......... in summer, while Black people who were enslaved get a shitty, short month? Give black people July."

The entire first half is, ultimately, a deflection that relies in Pride's sacrosanctness to work, but it's use as a deflection to point out the dourness of Black History Month doesn't mean that Pride Month's existence is contentious here, because again he never concludes that Pride shouldn't exist as it does.

As for the Karen jokes, they are easier to make because white women being racist assholes has finally got mainstream attention. For being the best part of the bit, it's honestly low-hanging fruit. Dunking on white women is easy af.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

I don't think its less about animosity between LGBTQ and black people; this post is effectively white people annoyed a white guy is calling them out on their shit.

Hell, like I tried to point out in a previous post his joke should have failed about Pride vs Black History month since obviously there should be a huge overlap; it works because on some level there isn't an overlap because black queer erasure is also a big part of Pride.

While multiple groups can be oppressed at the same time, the way that jokes works is if white supremacy is a separate tie that binds. And it is, across various non-race based marginalized groups.

Imho its telling that a joke about intersectionality critiques we are debating is the post is focused on supposedly maligned -white- groups.

Ultimately we (and I say this as a cis black male) need to up our game, outside of black women we suck at intersectionality.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The entire first half is, ultimately, a deflection that relies in Pride's sacrosanctness to work, but it's use as a deflection to point out the dourness of Black History Month doesn't mean that Pride Month's existence is contentious here, because again he never concludes that Pride shouldn't exist as it does.

I mean I think that he doesn't go as far as to say get rid of Pride is not evidence that he doesn't think it's unnecessary and frivolous.

I think he absolutely is demeaning Pride in the name of uplifting Black History Month

That he doesn't suggest just giving Pride month over to BHM is more that to do so wouldn't allow him the nice wiggle room to say hey I'm not demeaning Pride.

I think he has a lot of respect for Black History Month and thinks Pride is just silly party. We're talking about this routine as him expressing his truths right? So I think when he says do they need a whole month? They weren't enslaved why do they get all of June, I think he's expressing is true feelings that Pride Month isn't necessary, that it's not reverent like Black History Month.

He shows nothing but respect for Black folk in this routine while Pride is reduced to stereotypes and questions about necessity. It exists to be served as a frivolity to be contratsted against the real seriousness of Black History Month.

Ultimately I think he gets Black History Month and doesn't get Pride, and I don't think he's interested in getting it either, he's just smart enough not to conclude with get rid of it. It's more well it's unimportant and frivolity but it's here so whatever.

I'm sorry I just can't ascribe an understanding of intersectionality to Bill Burr, he's never demonstrated it. I think he sees oppression of Black folk as the only real oppression. I see no reason to think he doesn't genuinely wonder why LGBT people have an entire month.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Hell, like I tried to point out in a previous post his joke should have failed about Pride vs Black History month since obviously there should be a huge overlap; it works because on some level there isn't an overlap because black queer erasure is also a big part of Pride.

But that's not what he's saying

He's painting Pride as nothing but a giant party that's why he describes it as tank tops, zero percent body fat, and dudes kissing.

That's why he's asking how queer people got June, that's why he's asking if a month isn't too long.

His joke is it's extra ridiculous that Black History Month is in February when something far more frivolous that doesn't even need a whole month like Pride gets June

That's the joke, that it is extra absurd that BHM is in February because Pride is a silly party snd gets all of June.

Fray

Oct 28, 2017
VanIsle, BC
Yeah I thought his pov as a cis straight man that queer folk don't need a month was really poignant.

Thank god someone finally took on Big Queer

Did he say queer folk didn't need a month?
I thought it was clear he was saying black history month in feb should have been in the summer like gay pride month?
Serious questions cause now I am wondering if I heard it wrong.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Did he say queer folk didn't need a month?
I thought it was clear he was saying black history month in feb should have been in the summer like gay pride month?
Serious questions cause now I am wondering if I heard it wrong.

At the end of his monologue, Burr discussed Pride Month in which he asked if a month is "a little too long" for the celebrations. "For a group of people that were never enslaved. How did they get all of June?"

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Bill Burr’s Controversial ‘Saturday Night Live’ Monologue Draws Mixed Reactions

Comedian Bill Burr caused quite the reaction with his opening<em> Saturday Night Live</em> monologue after addressing a variety of topics from cancel culture to race to Pride Month.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Comedian Bill Burr caused quite the reaction with his opening<em> Saturday Night Live</em> monologue after addressing a variety of topics from cancel culture to race to Pride Month.
Yeah I agree he was totally out of pocket with all of that. He was on point about the white women part, but a mess on the others.

Moving BHM is a good suggestion, but there are a lot of really marginalised people in the LGBTQ+ community, including other POC who deserve a month of celebration too. I got the sense he was trying to poke fun at BHM being shorter, but seemed to trivialise the queer struggle in the process.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Isn't it just absurdist humor, that you need to have been physically enslaved to get a month for celebration? I don't think Bill is actually supporting that idea because its ridiculous, but maybe I'm just ascribing my own interpretation to his intention

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't it just absurdist humor, that you need to have been physically enslaved to get a month for celebration? I don't think Bill is actually supporting that idea because its ridiculous, but maybe I'm just ascribing my own interpretation to his intention
Bill is not articulate enough for absurdist humour, lmao

Bill Burr's comedy is the equivalent of your drunk uncle at Christmas, lecturing you and your cousins about the time he did something that has vague hints of bigotry in it, vague like the scent of weed in the air an hour after someone smoked a joint, or vague like whatever constitutes "flavour" in a can of LaCroix

Oct 26, 2017
Bill is not articulate enough for absurdist humour, lmao

Bill Burr's comedy is the equivalent of your drunk uncle at Christmas, lecturing you and your cousins about the time he did something that has vague hints of bigotry in it, vague like the scent of weed in the air an hour after someone smoked a joint, or vague like whatever constitutes "flavour" in a can of LaCroix
He just wants to get a rise out of people like when he took the side of Lance Armstrong after his doping scandal. He didn't actually care, but he knew it would be funny because he was taking an intentionally ridiculous perspective that would challenge the audience with a funny twist on common dialogue. Bill has the aesthetic of a drunk uncle (which is amazing), but I'd give him more credit to his comedic process. He puts a lot of effort into his work.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely on point with the white women part. They want to (and get to) jump into the oppression pool with the minorities when it comes to tackling white males but literally enjoyed the fruits of white supremacy and still do. Only they didn't get to enjoy it as equals with white men so now it's an issue.

Frankly however a bad miss with the pride part. Even if I get where he was going, shit didn't feel like the heart was in the right place through the whole thing. If you wanna do that joke you really gotta do better than what he delivered there. I wasn't feelin it at all. I'm not down with that bit honestly.

Cancel culture one was aight. I normally hate any comedian talking about it but this was serviceable which is the best you're gonna get from me on that topic.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Would have loved some shots of the audience whilst he roasted them

mostly this expression

giphy.gif

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I love Bill Burr. His SNL bit was pretty tame but it was spot on. I imagine the only people upset about the white women bit are white women. I get why some people were offended with his take on pride month but I thought he was funny. Glad he's calling out white women to such a huge audience.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

No I think he literally is trying to enhance his point about the Februaryness of BHM by contrasting it with something he thinks is far less important, something frivolous (it's again why he really zoomed in one the superficial when describing Pride). He brings up slavery to seperate in his mind the actual oppressed and the people who don't really need a full month.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

I just wanna say you've been killing it this entire thread.

Clown shoes. Absolute fucking clown shoes.

Not Bill Burr, by the way, but y'all.

Imagine getting mad at Bill Burr for calling out white women for their bullshit and "fostering division," as if white women need anymore protection and pearl clutching than they already get, just because he's a white man (who took credit for crimes against humanity in the routine, so let's not act like he was saying white men were not problematic).

Division between minorities is, in part, being fostered by white women whose activism begins and ends with misogyny and nothing else, because "white women voted for Trump too." It needs to be called out by everyone.

Second...he's just absolutely fucking right. Y'all will hijack a minority movement in a fucking heartbeat. It wasn't even a month into this summer's protests before we saw white women stripping naked at the police lines, as if any statement- no matter how valid- dealing with that imagery had a single, solitary fuck to do with George Floyd and police brutality.

God, I'm just fucking disappointed. Gonna work on my art and brainstorm how we can move Black History Month to July.

All of this... and thank you for this post. Seriously, I (and others) appreciate it!

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, he isn't shitting on women, he's talking about *white* women. There's a difference. This is actually part of the point. White women hide behind the general label of women to avoid their part and culpability in white supremacy, colonialism and imperialism. Even when it comes to things like voting and polling, when you break it down by race, white women are far more likely to sacrifice their rights as women in order to prop up their white privilege.
You think the white women who are a part of the Me Too movement voted for Trump?

Oct 26, 2017
It feels extremely strange for a white dude whose entire gimmick is that he hates women to try to position his persona in social justice framing.

Especially given the current polls where we have the largest gender gap in the history of polling.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
When we say "white women voted for Trump", that's obviously true, but are we saying the majority did? Most of my research finds that a majority of women voters voted for Hillary.

Donald Trump Didn't Really Win 52% of White Women in 2016
If only 47% of white women voters supported someone who demonstrates that he enjoys abusing people like them but whose primary selling points were racism and xenophobia, that's not really something to brag about.

Touting that distinction is damning with faint praise.