• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I like the July idea because, yes, having it right behind Pride Month would be swell. Black LGBT people get 61 days. Once again, it's the least this country could do. 🍵

July would be good I think for that reason (since queer black people were pivotal to the American LGBT movement), though those pride marches will get hot and sweaty in some states, lol.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Dude with a history of punching down at transgender people trying to teach others about oppression. Cool.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Clown shoes. Absolute fucking clown shoes.

Not Bill Burr, by the way, but y'all.

Imagine getting mad at Bill Burr for calling out white women for their bullshit and "fostering division," as if white women need anymore protection and pearl clutching than they already get, just because he's a white man (who took credit for crimes against humanity in the routine, so let's not act like he was saying white men were not problematic).

Division between minorities is, in part, being fostered by white women whose activism begins and ends with misogyny and nothing else, because "white women voted for Trump too." It needs to be called out by everyone.

Second...he's just absolutely fucking right. Y'all will hijack a minority movement in a fucking heartbeat. It wasn't even a month into this summer's protests before we saw white women stripping naked at the police lines, as if any statement- no matter how valid- dealing with that imagery had a single, solitary fuck to do with George Floyd and police brutality.

God, I'm just fucking disappointed. Gonna work on my art and brainstorm how we can move Black History Month to July.

Couldn't be prouder of a comment, and you summarized my opinions as a Black man. Lots of eye rolling from both people on Twitter and ERA in general with issues of race. Or any issue involving intersection, God willing.

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I thought the monologue was hilarious. The only thing that bothers me about Burr is something very minute. He has ranted about overpopulation and then he became a dad himself. It doesn't turn me away from him but it puts him a step below Doug Stanhope and Bill Hicks as favorites of mine.

Deleted member 31199

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Heh, I THINK you're being sarcastic. : P

I still would see him do stand-up, I am not completely turned off but yeah for that alone I do like Stanhope a little better. I did watch Stanhope's latest special that he put on Amazon Prime (hated that he put it on there but whatever) but I didn't think it was that funny as he has been in the past.

It was kind of "old man yells at cloud" more than anything. I guess with Stanhope, I expect him to be as dark as possible. No one, not even Bill Hicks, ever did a routine on helping their mother kill herself. That to me you have to be a special person to appreciate.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Calling out white women for their hand in white supremacy, isn't punching down.

But good try though.

A white dude doing it kind of is. I am a white dude, and I don't feel any more comfortable calling out women for their hand in the oppression of other minorities than I would calling out black people for the same, or gay people for the same, or what have you. It's just not my place.

Intersectionality is complex as hell, and the way Burr handled it - by punching down onto women during a comedy act - was inappropriate in my opinion.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
A white dude doing it kind of is. I am a white dude, and I don't feel any more comfortable calling out women for their hand in the oppression of other minorities than I would calling out black people for the same, or gay people for the same, or what have you. It's just not my place.

Intersectionality is complex as hell, and the way Burr handled it - by punching down onto women during a comedy act - was inappropriate in my opinion.
He punched towards white men, for one thing. Second, white women are the butt of the joke in service of non-whites with that specific part of the monologue, and by noting that white women will put themselves before other minorities and have also participated in colonialism and white supremacy, he is making a basic remark on- you guessed it- intersectionality, the idea that you can be privileged in some ways and oppressed in others. The joke itself is ultimately punching up. I can understand most well-meaning white dudes not having the daring-do to make that joke, but when it came down to it, he didn't miss.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Punching down on women or white women. While I can see the point of punching down, the biggest issue is by the nature of the problem who can speak to them? Not POC, particularly female ones. Their oppression of them is how this is an issue in the first place. I thought he brought it home when he said, 'sit down next to us (white males) and listen'. Oppressors talking to oppressors.

Ultimately the problem with white feminism is just the same old oppression with a defensive slant. Because they muddy the waters with the larger feminism movement where they expect that the assumption of their intersectionality is unquestioned ("I fight for all women"), ignoring that the specific goal of white feminism is to open up the gender equality doors just wide enough for just them to slip in and slam it closed behind em.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's no shortage of comedy sets or public statements Burr has made to shit on him and reveal him being an asshole and punching down; this one really isn't it.

Nov 14, 2017

This is not it. It's some caricature of intersectionality that's taken hold in parts of the public psyche. I know you're trying to come at this with good intentions, but no-one who was responsible for developing this form of social analysis and critique was thinking "the goal here is to make it so in order to comment on anything you have to have your spot in the strata verified first, and that will make things better." It reminds me of during the primary campaign when I saw something like "the future is intersectional" (personally I hope that in the future there are less overlapping sources of oppression and exploitation).

Understanding the various privileges and disadvantages people face and taking them into account when assessing their speech and actions is absolutely important (for example, white women shouldn't be dominating the paid racial sensitivity training industry). Going "man > woman, therefore point inappropriate" is reductive and counter-productive. As is conceiving of all commentary as the speaker "calling out" another individual/group. Social analysis isn't (or shouldn't be) a game of personal one-upmanship. Don't confuse the personal being political with the political being purely personal.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

He ended the bit by asking white women to sit down next to him and listen, the implication being that neither white women nor white men are listening to women of color. He wasn't "punching down," he was punching laterally.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a pocket of Twitter that argued Karen was no different from the N-word

Of course, very small minority of nutcases but still... It's sad...
We had some members here try to argue that using the word karen was sexist. That was a PoS thread but damn do I remember that.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
9ro7Ck2.jpg

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
61 days of pride and self-love sounds quite lovely.

I get those who don't want it outside of the school year but I feel like Leeloo Dallas at the end of the 5th Element. Look what they do with it. Immigrants and Workers. Clearly hasn't helped.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User banned (permanent): Hostility, numerous prior bans including 1 month for trolling and 2 months for sexism
I love how Morrigan just comes in and talks about an off topic Mark Ruffalo tweet and makes a snipe remark about a comment in her usual toxic tone, well played Miss.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I would say that, yes, it was incendiary. Though, overall correct. That being said, none if it was very funny.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Can't believe this had any bit of furor, besides this being pretty tame for Burr he's not even the first well-known comic to do a bit on this.

Chappelle laid out a pretty definitive line on this re: white women: "You was in on the heist, you just didn't like your cut."
Lmao Chappell is a fucking genius 😂

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Glad Bill is putting a spotlight on this fucking nonsense. The white girls doing staged Instagram photoshoots during the BLM protests was some wild shit.

Funny as fuck stand up bit, glad he went for it.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The only part of the set that I thought people would reasonably find at all controversial was the bit about gays not being oppressed enough to deserve more days than black history month (it's a joke, folks), but beyond that, it was a pretty spot on message, if less funny than his usual material. Finding out that people got in their feelings because he made a salient point about the various levels of privilege between white women and people and women of color while not letting white men off the hook makes me sad for people's conversational literacy

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It's too bad he opted to make this salient point sandwiched in between boring ass cancel culture complaing and doing a weird cis straight white man thing of pitting black folk against LGBT folk in some sort of oppression Olympics bullshit over history months.

Lucky for him white women threw fits on Twitter so everyone is just ignoring the rest of his monologue. Which is fine I guess because this point is spot on, but Bill Burr is a classic case of hit some miss some
Well that's unfortunate. Didn't watch the whole set, now I know I don't need to.

May 26, 2018
Damn. That part about "non-consensual" is fucking rock solid. It's absolutely true.

I mean, this is all just history and we should know it but it's striking the number who don't, or do but don't accept the direct implication of it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The only part of the set that I thought people would reasonably find at all controversial was the bit about gays not being oppressed enough to deserve more days than black history month (it's a joke, folks), but beyond that, it was a pretty spot on message

See you don't get to do this

You don't get to give him credit for spot on messaging on one part and then handwave his messaging on LGBT people as just a joke

Like that's absurd.