• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Edit: And the dead silence at his "June? That's a little long" to the end when he brings the audience around is classic Bill

Totally. His schtick is putting himself in a hole, and digging himself out of said hole by the end of the bit. He's so good at it.

For the record, I love Bill, and thought this was pretty good. It came off as material he's still working on, and trying to iron the wrinkles out of.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
The irony in all this is that white women on Twitter took this as an attack instead of actually approaching it on any introspective level.

Instead they attacked Bill (doubt he cares he's pretty much a shock/insult comic) for being a cis white man not realizing he has a Black wife that literally tells him this shit and checks him when he's out of line like all the time. Albeit, it's no one's responsibility but Bill's to educate himself over time but he's come a long way... For a stand up comic.

He still has to make steps in his LGBTQ commentary (seems that every old comic does) but on this particular issue he's not wrong. Yet, people are just covering their ears and shouting to avoid the truth.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I never understood why so many give white women so much "credit" for finally seeing Trump for who he is and voting against him. Like, they help put Trump in power in the first place. White men who voted for Trump in 2016 and is now voting for Biden certainly would not--and should not--get similar benefits of the doubt. White women shouldn't get it either. Hell, if Trump was only a smidgen more competent, I doubt we would see the number of white women fleeing Trump as we are seeing in polling. Trump has been so disastrous that ever the racism and fascism white women liked about Trump is no longer enticing enough to cover his flaws--flaws that many, many people saw in 2016 but them.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I stopped listening to his podcast because sometimes the ranting is just too much, although I like the Bill Bert one, fun duo. But on stage, Bill is always a hit.

Longer bit from Paper Tiger

Woylie

May 9, 2018
IDK if I needed to hear another old dude talking about how much he hates "cancel culture," tbh

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for not specifically on topic, but for those saying he was a bit more restrained on network TV, what's a good intro watch to get more of a flavor of him going full out?

Just start from the beginning of his big specials, they all go together.. shouldn't jump to the end....

but start with these small ones as well.. only a few minutes but man lol.

Ellyshia

Oct 27, 2017
The Cancel Culture bit rubbed me the wrong way, but I didn't have any problems with the White Women bit

balb

Oct 30, 2017
Why is this cringe again? Was on point as far as I'm concerned re: white women.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could rub cancel my normals onto white women culture

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
The irony in all this is that white women on Twitter took this as an attack instead of actually approaching it on any introspective level.

Instead they attacked Bill (doubt he cares he's pretty much a shock/insult comic) for being a cis white man not realizing he has a Black wife that literally tells him this shit and checks him when he's out of line like all the time. Albeit, it's no one's responsibility but Bill's to educate himself over time but he's come a long way... For a stand up comic.

He still has to make steps in his LGBTQ commentary (seems that every old comic does) but on this particular issue he's not wrong. Yet, people are just covering their ears and shouting to avoid the truth.

One of the greatest tricks that white supremacy has pulled is convincing white women to defend their gilded cages with ferocity.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The juxtaposition between this and Bill saying a minute later that he did not know about pride month until just now was something

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped listening to his podcast because sometimes the ranting is just too much, although I like the Bill Bert one, fun duo. But on stage, Bill is always a hit.

Longer bit from Paper Tiger

Some of this feels fairly misogynistic; definitely a different vibe and went to a pretty sexist place -- "Republican Presidents at least know how to keep their women in line" -- than the SNL monologue. There was no "I'm criticizing white women because they are stealing a movement not about them" payoff, just "ha ha feminism".

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool

tumblr_po2cx4qmmo1x0uneyo4_500.gifv

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
Clown shoes. Absolute fucking clown shoes.

Not Bill Burr, by the way, but y'all.

Imagine getting mad at Bill Burr for calling out white women for their bullshit and "fostering division," as if white women need anymore protection and pearl clutching than they already get, just because he's a white man (who took credit for crimes against humanity in the routine, so let's not act like he was saying white men were not problematic).

Division between minorities is, in part, being fostered by white women whose activism begins and ends with misogyny and nothing else, because "white women voted for Trump too." It needs to be called out by everyone.

Second...he's just absolutely fucking right. Y'all will hijack a minority movement in a fucking heartbeat. It wasn't even a month into this summer's protests before we saw white women stripping naked at the police lines, as if any statement- no matter how valid- dealing with that imagery had a single, solitary fuck to do with George Floyd and police brutality.

God, I'm just fucking disappointed. Gonna work on my art and brainstorm how we can move Black History Month to July.
love your posts. spot on as always 👏🏿👏🏿👏🏿

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad he opted to make this salient point sandwiched in between boring ass cancel culture complaing and doing a weird cis straight white man thing of pitting black folk against LGBT folk in some sort of oppression Olympics bullshit over history months.

Lucky for him white women threw fits on Twitter so everyone is just ignoring the rest of his monologue. Which is fine I guess because this point is spot on, but Bill Burr is a classic case of hit some miss some

Last edited:

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
He got me with the June bit, masterful turn.

I won't say the white women bit was perfect, but he was on the mark (and didn't skip out on pointing out white men were by far the #1 worst). He's also not the only person who's pointed out the co-opting of movements, but I can't think of any white comedians that have been willing to put that in their sets.

For a set that must have been toned down for SNL it was pretty solid, minus the cancel culture part.

Also the Sam Adams recorded bit at the end of the episode was amazing.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Some of this feels fairly misogynistic; definitely a different vibe and went to a pretty sexist place -- "Republican Presidents at least know how to keep their women in line" -- than the SNL monologue. There was no "I'm criticizing white women because they are stealing a movement not about them" payoff, just "ha ha feminism".

There's two sides to how Bill Burr makes comedy: there's the "he really means that" and "he's mocking his own personality". His bit where he wants to sink every cruise ship is an example of him just playing his character. He wouldn't be married and have kids if he literally meant everything he says.

Feb 4, 2018
The main problem with this particular rant is that it's extremely reductive to the point of being insulting -- that is the point -- and relies on misrepresentation, stereotypes, and the whole "someone has it worse than you" fallacy. It very much has the air of "White women need to stop complaining about misogyny; you're all just rich racists chicks with expensive shoes and SUVs; you have nothing to complain about!" If you're a "white woman" that doesn't have the privilege of a nice, upper-middle class suburban life, or the privilege of a never having experienced discrimination or misogyny, of course you're going to be pissed by that monologue.
I'm really not pissed, and white women who are pissed are exactly the white women he's talking about.

There's a very clear behavior he's talking about here - white women co-opting social movements as constant victims so we never have to hold ourselves accountable as oppressors. To make this all about how I'VE STRUGGLED TOO is literally doing the same thing - speaking over Black folks and especially Black women to make it about me and my struggle.

We don't need to remind anyone about our problems as white women - we've done that plenty, which again is the problem - and we don't need to "not all white women" this. If he's not describing you, it's not about you (that being said, this IS about all of us to an extent. White women can't just exclude ourselves from this conversation because we are marginalized in other ways - no matter how marginalized, we ALL experience and perpetuate white privilege and need to be held accountable).

I am not familiar with Burr and his jokes though, so I can't speak to that! I just think this particular point he makes is dead on.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I so want to post this on social media and call out the hypocrisy, but my wife hates it. She's hispanic but white hispanic so I think she took offense from it from the privilege perspective.

Barr is absolutely right here and like others have said it sure is curious that people are paying attention when a white guy says it.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
It's too bad he opted to make this salient point sandwiched in between boring ass cancel culture complaing and doing a weird cis straight white man thing of pitting black folk against LGBT folk in some sort of oppression Olympics bullshit over history months.

Lucky for him white women threw fits on Twitter so everyone is just ignoring the rest of his monologue. Which is fine I guess because this point is spot on, but Bill Burr is a classic case of hit some miss some
yup. Infuriating in its own way.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when Dave Chapelle joked about this in his special and no one really commented on it.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
I don't hear any lies at all. They were also the primary reason why Trump won and they have already said they were going to back Trump again.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
white women just want to be a part of stuff and not left out, they wanted to be a part of the oppression, and now part of the uprising, they just wanna fit in

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I don't hear any lies at all. They were also the primary reason why Trump won and they have already said they were going to back Trump again.

No the primary reason was white men going en masse for Trump

White women fucked people over but your post absolves the dirt worst of their due

Oct 29, 2017
Yup I hate when a bunch of White ppl celebrate diversity because some ppl added more white ppl to something.
horizon zero dawn
Tlou2

oh so diverse!!! it's just another game starring white ppl to me🤷🏿‍♂️🤷🏿‍♂️. Not all that unique or special.

I remember being banned from the old place for being an uppity nigger who brought up the FACT that historically WHITE WOMEN falsely accuse black men of rape. White male mods weren't having that convo. So ban hammer.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Funniest part to me was how dead silent the audience was for most of his opening routine, and you could just "feel" that he wasn't vibing with the audience at all - and I know he and a lot of other comics actually LOVE that disconnect and thrive off it, he's talked about it a lot on podcasts and interviews. He probably absolutely knew his material wouldn't connect with the SNL audience and did it anyways, that is sorta interesting.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I've seen people get up in arms about? That was both true and really fucking tame all things considered.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So this white dude found a way to punch down in a comedy routine and get celebrated for it? I'm sure conservative comedians everywhere will take note.

Sounds like the Oppression Olympics has found its new official spokesperson

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Kept waiting for the controversial bit. You may not like his style, but he's making sound arguments regarding some pretty obvious, hard to avoid realities.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The funny part about the black history month bit, is everyone is ignoring it & focusing on the white women bit, which fits the joke even more perfect.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
i know almost nothing about this guy, heard of him of course, but never listened to his stuff, watched half of an F for Family, didnt like it.
Watched the 90 second bit, not funny, but some truth, but searching he doesnt talk about their support for trump 4 years ago? that's the lynchpin. Ddin't think it was that funny, but these points needs to be highlighted. lack of trump seems like an odd omission.