• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of Bill Burr, and his bit about cancelling was dumb as always.

But he's 100% right on his points about white women. This shouldn't be controversial.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I remember when white women profited off of 'racial sensitivity training' in the workplace during the protests

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's SNL but I almost feel he kept this bit really tame. There was definitely some truths in it though even if it didn't have me laughing.

Imagine him doing this bit with that Philly massacre energy.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's kind of clever that he as a white man can say these basic hot takes that I hear all day from BAME folks and nothing will happen to him, but if one of us said it to a mainstream audience, then it's curtains on our lives. Now give June and July to BAME LGBT folks!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see what happens when your group gets put in the hotseat. Do you acknowledge the problems or do you try to mitigate it to absolve yourself?

Lot of y'all tryna pick the latter

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's kind of clever that he as a white man can say these basic hot takes that I hear all day from BAME folks and nothing will happen to him, but if one of us said it to a mainstream audience, then it's curtains on our lives. Now give June and July to BAME LGBT folks!
You'll hopefully forgive my ignorance, but why the move to summer? I'd honestly think April or May would be better. I say this because Pride falling in the summer actually has the negative quality of LGBTQ history not ending up as much a part of school curriculum as a result like Black History Month can be in some jurisdictions, but I agree that February is not a great month for outdoor rallies and events in most of the country.

So I feel like I'm missing something here and I apologize, but I feel like I need an explanation and Google was not helpful to me in this instance.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
You'll hopefully forgive my ignorance, but why the move to summer? I'd honestly think April or May would be better. I say this because Pride falling in the summer actually has the negative quality of LGBTQ history not ending up as much a part of school curriculum as a result like Black History Month can be in some jurisdictions, but I agree that February is not a great month for outdoor rallies and events in most of the country.

So I feel like I'm missing something here and I apologize, but I feel like I need an explanation and Google was not helpful to me in this instance.

February is a shitty cold month and it's short.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that so many even on this forum, in other threads, have been falling over themselves with "women are going to save us" now that they think white women are going to vote for Biden has been telling. White women get to come being propped up as white saviors and have articles written about them while POC women have already been there suffering through the bullshit.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly credit his wife for challenging nearly every single one of his shitty views lol. She always makes his podcast more entertaining but a portion of his, "fans" can't stand her. Wonder why...

He's gotten better with time but still has some ways to go. That part of his monologue was great though.

When Nia shows up on the podcast it's the best shit ever. Her doing an impression of his Boston accent and crazy mannerisms is fucking hilarious.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
The fact that so many even on this forum, in other threads, have been falling over themselves with "women are going to save us" now that they think white women are going to vote for Biden has been telling. White women get to come being propped up as white saviors and have articles written about them while POC women have already been there suffering through the bullshit.

I mean, that happens everytime even when white women vote R because that's the bubble like 80% of writers are in and they just look at the top line crosstab and call it a day.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Main take away from this for me was .... ya know, we really should move Black History month to July. I mean, June would be great for Juneteenth but we missed that boat.

I get the history behind the Feb pick but damn, it is legit a shit month >:/

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Always happy to hear ol' Billy Sunshine call some people out. He and the lovely Nia are good people.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Black folks have been on some "fuck John Wayne" shit for decades. Burr just getting the memo?

Oct 31, 2017
There was about a week after that white woman called the cops & accused the black man of assaulting her where people remembered white women's historic and ongoing role in white supremacy

then everyone forgot again

I mean, white women at least aren't gonna vote for Trump this time which is more than you can say for white men.

You're already running PR for white women before they have even left trump; completely absolving them for putting him there in the first place!

really... stop that

Whiteness is the problem, not just white maleness

exactly

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, let's not mince words, the reason white women are going for Biden in droves is self-interest. Trump is just so anti-women, the racism and bigotry they agree with don't look as tempting. They aren't saving anyone but themselves.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, white women at least aren't gonna vote for Trump this time which is more than you can say for white men.
csLBQ9Z.gif

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, let's not mince words, the reason white women are going for Biden in droves is self-interest. Trump is just so anti-women, the racism and bigotry they agree with don't look as tempting. They aren't saving anyone but themselves.

It's also likely Covid response as well, same reason old people are breaking for Biden. Once Mitt Romney 2.0 is the candidate it'll snap back.

0x03

Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely sorry if my previous post came across like I was pearl clutching. The underlying issue he was speaking to is absolutely something that needs to be addressed, even by white men, and I should've been more careful in my phrasing. I guess I've just noticed a trend in certain spaces where white men swoop in and go "lol white women amirite?" and pat each other on the back, as if they get a free pass to feel self-righteous and engage in jokes/statements with misogynist undercurrents, because it's directed at white women. I just think white dudes should step carefully given our long history of using every opportunity to pit people against one another as we destroy the world. But that's not a suggestion that white folks of all types don't need to call each other out over bad behavior.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't as cutting and funny as his standup but it was still pretty hilarious, moreso the shock factor of him doing these bits in front of an SNL audience was what I loved. I wonder if he'll be invited back, I hope he is. The skits weren't great but just hearing his whiny scream in anything is always funny.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Wow this guy doesnt spare ANYONE!!! What an EPIC comedian!!!

I see you, and I appreciate you.

Can't watch the monologue, but I've never found him funny. Old fashioned rant comedy that's a bit more self-aware and self-effacing than is typical of his ilk, but which still feels hacky and played out.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Can I get a recommendation of which episode to listen to for that? Haha

I think she might do it here but it's been awhile since I heard this. Glad I found this online since this is one of my favorite clips from the podcast. Nia and Bill talk about how she almost got into a fight in times square. My wife had never heard Nia on before and she instantly became a fan of them as a couple.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
You gotta wonder if Bill was expecting the audience to pull back as much. You got the vibe he was mocking the firing squad while standing in front of it.

Oct 27, 2017
The part about white women was on the mark but pretty tame. The part about cancel culture was woeful.

I don't see much to celebrate here. Overall, the monologue wasn't very funny. He has much better material.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm genuinely sorry if my previous post came across like I was pearl clutching. The underlying issue he was speaking to is absolutely something that needs to be addressed, even by white men, and I should've been more careful in my phrasing. I guess I've just noticed a trend in certain spaces where white men swoop in and go "lol white women amirite?" and pat each other on the back, as if they get a free pass to feel self-righteous and engage in jokes/statements with misogynist undercurrents, because it's directed at white women. I just think white dudes should step carefully given our long history of using every opportunity to pit people against one another as we destroy the world. But that's not a suggestion that white folks of all types don't need to call each other out over bad behavior.
And the problem with spaces like these is the hair-trigger response to any perceived slight - so much so you missed the part where Bill owned up to 'White men's crimes against humanity'. But such is the pathological need for righteous indignation.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Bill's come a long way.

If he was still doing some of the material he was doing a decade ago, this forum would not like him very much. For a while, a lot of his targets firmly put him in the "punching down" category.

He still says some shit from time to time that's pretty off, but he's willing to call himself out or let his wife do so on his podcast...which to someone's point earlier, doesn't always go over well with his listeners.

I like how he was seen as the shithead CHUD's hero but he sneakily redirects his cross hairs at them more and more.

Yep, totally fair. Some of his old bits on feminism get pretty gross.

Honestly, it still kinda is. Most of what he says aren't really "jokes" unless you think insulting someone you don't like if funny. Sure, if you hate someone enough, any kind of insulting rant will be "funny", but it doesn't really make for a proper joke. If a joke requires you to hate someone to "get it", then it's not a good joke or brand of humor. I've never liked Bill Burr or his shtick.

The main problem with this particular rant is that it's extremely reductive to the point of being insulting -- that is the point -- and relies on misrepresentation, stereotypes, and the whole "someone has it worse than you" fallacy. It very much has the air of "White women need to stop complaining about misogyny; you're all just rich racists chicks with expensive shoes and SUVs; you have nothing to complain about!" If you're a "white woman" that doesn't have the privilege of a nice, upper-middle class suburban life, or the privilege of a never having experienced discrimination or misogyny, of course you're going to be pissed by that monologue.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Somewhere there's a white woman absolute disgusted at some Proud Boys talking racist shit on the news right now, while talking to her friend on the phone about how she doesn't want to send her kid to a school that's not too asian because she feels he can't compete, and not too black because she doesn't want him to join a gang.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Honestly, it still kinda is. Most of what he says aren't really "jokes" unless you think insulting someone you don't like if funny. Sure, if you hate someone enough, any kind of insulting rant will be "funny", but it doesn't really make for a proper joke. If a joke requires you to hate someone to "get it", then it's not a good joke or brand of humor. I've never liked Bill Burr or his shtick.

The main problem with this particular rant is that it's extremely reductive to the point of being insulting -- that is the point -- and relies on misrepresentation, stereotypes, and the whole "someone has it worse than you" fallacy. It very much has the air of "White women need to stop complaining about misogyny; you're all just rich racists chicks with expensive shoes and SUVs; you have nothing to complain about!" If you're a "white woman" that doesn't have the privilege of a nice, upper-middle class suburban life, or the privilege of a never having experienced discrimination or misogyny, of course you're going to be pissed by that monologue.

Notice his joke is anchored by the 'stepping your shoes in front of others'. The issue isn't that misogyny, etc is a not problem. Ask a black woman!
its the fact that they have absolutely no problem throwing other those issues to the side. They are an utter intersectionality fail, leaving other women of color to do the double work of fighting racism and misogyny. They continually chose race over gender when it comes to issues affecting both, on top of doing a shitty job of opening doors for non-white women behind them while being the traditionally the biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
February is a shitty cold month and it's short.
OK, then yeah, I would definitely caution against the notion of moving Black History Month into the summer months where they're outside of the school year and forgotten about in curriculum entirely. There's already a deficit of understanding about black history and I'd not want to make that any worse than it already is as it often is with LGBTQ history that mostly consists of "and Stonewall happened".
But maybe February is the worst possible month for it, yes.

Last edited:

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Obviously this line is getting quoted for a bunch of reasons but I just want to point out that we're talking about potentially 10% or so of the votes of these demographics either flipping or not flipping.

Yeah, and they'll flip back in 2-4 years. I'll take the L on this one, I was not going for "white women are ok in my book" but yeah, it is what it is.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If you're a "white woman" that doesn't have the privilege of a nice, upper-middle class suburban life, or the privilege of a never having experienced discrimination or misogyny, of course you're going to be pissed by that monologue.
White women who have faced discrimination will never have to deal with being non-white on top of it. Indeed, white women who have outright fought for feminism, suffrage, equal wages, the existence of rape culture and other fights in the front of misogyny have nonetheless engaged in and advocated for the very same fucking white supremacy that drives white men to put boots to necks.

The part about "swinging their Gucci-booted feet over the fence of oppression and jumping to the front of the line" is also part of the point. Sure, Bill is being reductive with the mock whining and not every white woman is comfortably middle class, but the salient take-away- the part that everyone should actually remember and learn from- should be that white women have more leverage than non-whites do to advocate against their oppression, and they don't always repay the attention back in kind to other groups. On top of it, this hijacking behavior completely underscores white womens' hands in white supremacy, which is the fact that y'all stood by and watched black and brown folks suffer untold horrors, not because you were victims, but because you believed the same fucking things your husbands did.

To literally all of the white women- rich or poor, straight or non-straight, cis or trans, able-bodied or disabled- who got offended by his callout and shut down: you aren't much different from white men who get mad at the mere concept of white privilege. See you the next time you call the police on one of us.