• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
giphy.gif

Hey, baby steps. Baby steps

C.R.E.A.M.

Banned
Sep 21, 2020
No, but I find it ironic that a guy who is a member of the single shittiest demographic in the country is off here chirping at the second worst.

Liberal white men tend to get to be individuals and separate themselves from the MAGA dudes and white women tend to not.

Like, I get it but I feel like we get a lot of white dudes willing to call white women racist but not point the finger back at themselves.

I mean, white women at least aren't gonna vote for Trump this time which is more than you can say for white men.

POC have been saying something similar to what Barr said since Trump got elected, given the recent attention it has garnered and also the fact that Barr is a white guy tells you all you need to know.

White women not voting for trump remains to be seen, they stuck with him then when they knew trump was a POS so I wouldn't get ahead of myself.

0x03

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, he's not wrong about White women co-opting movements, but it's in extremely poor taste for White men on a national stage to foster division between marginalized groups—and yes, even if they're one of the most privileged groups, White women do still face oppression in our society, especially from White men. Give a Black woman the opportunity to host the show and call this stuff out instead of another White man stand-up who yells all the time, while using incorrect labels authoritatively ("Woke movement"???)

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly credit his wife for challenging nearly every single one of his shitty views lol. She always makes his podcast more entertaining but a portion of his, "fans" can't stand her. Wonder why...

He's gotten better with time but still has some ways to go. That part of his monologue was great though.

Yep my favourite parts of his podcast is when Nia is on.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, white women at least aren't gonna vote for Trump this time which is more than you can say for white men.
I'll believe that shit when I see it.

Ill say this, on the electoral scale white women occupy the same space that Melania Trump does. You can tell she clearly hates her husband but at this point its pretty obvious she's getting something out of this arrangement, she's not gonna say anything against him so your not exactly gonna depend on her.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I'm not sure a white guy is in a position to call out others for coopting movements, but sure.

I mean, I'm not sure you sound like you're making an argument, but sure.

White guys cannot take advantage of their white/male privilege without acknowledging it, since it is such a blindingly obvious thing to everyone when they get ahead. The problem is that for white women, that type of privilege is sort of swept under the rug because there's still more work to do for full equality.

That's the problem with letting white women run any civil rights movement. They're not the ones with the most to gain.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this yesterday and thought, "Who'd get angry over this". Woke up to seeing how wrong I could be lol.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
No, but I find it ironic that a guy who is a member of the single shittiest demographic in the country is off here chirping at the second worst.

Liberal white men tend to get to be individuals and separate themselves from the MAGA dudes and white women tend to not. I don't disagree with his point, but it's not like white men have a lot of room to talk.

Like, I get it but I feel like we get a lot of white dudes willing to call white women racist but not point the finger back at themselves.

So, I as a white man, should never call out anyone but white men is that what you're saying? Just trying to understand the rules. I suppose I should never criticize Candace Owens for pushing white supremacy either.

Just because white women have been oppressed doesn't mean that they don't have some privilege because of their skin color. It's not wrong to call that out even though I find a lot of Bill's takes to be of the chud variety.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
Going to show this to my GF later tonight, and see what she thinks.

People who are unaware of his schtick are always going to get pissed. I do enjoy when he goes on a rant about the Montreal Canadiens and they city in general.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, I'm not sure you sound like you're making an argument, but sure.

White guys cannot take advantage of their white/male privilege without acknowledging it, since it is such a blindingly obvious thing to everyone when they get ahead. The problem is that for white women, that type of privilege is sort of swept under the rug because there's still more work to do for full equality.

That's the problem with letting white women run any civil rights movement. They're not the ones with the most to gain.

Yeah, I agree with all of this. My issue was a dude making a bunch of tropey jokes about women. I mean, I'm not horribly offended or anything by any of his material and he's not wrong on the points. Just a glass houses thing.

It's more of a slight annoyance than like I'm getting my pitchforks out. A poster above said I wish a woman of color was in that spot making these points. That's more where I'm at. Like, I agree with what he said.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Bill's come a long way.

If he was still doing some of the material he was doing a decade ago, this forum would not like him very much. For a while, a lot of his targets firmly put him in the "punching down" category.

He still says some shit from time to time that's pretty off, but he's willing to call himself out or let his wife do so on his podcast...which to someone's point earlier, doesn't always go over well with his listeners.

I like how he was seen as the shithead CHUD's hero but he sneakily redirects his cross hairs at them more and more.

Yeah, I agree with all of this. My issue was a dude making a bunch of tropey jokes about women.
Yep, totally fair. Some of his old bits on feminism get pretty gross.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Clown shoes. Absolute fucking clown shoes.

Not Bill Burr, by the way, but y'all.

Imagine getting mad at Bill Burr for calling out white women for their bullshit and "fostering division," as if white women need anymore protection and pearl clutching than they already get, just because he's a white man (who took credit for crimes against humanity in the routine, so let's not act like he was saying white men were not problematic).

Division between minorities is, in part, being fostered by white women whose activism begins and ends with misogyny and nothing else, because "white women voted for Trump too." It needs to be called out by everyone.

Second...he's just absolutely fucking right. Y'all will hijack a minority movement in a fucking heartbeat. It wasn't even a month into this summer's protests before we saw white women stripping naked at the police lines, as if any statement- no matter how valid- dealing with that imagery had a single, solitary fuck to do with George Floyd and police brutality.

God, I'm just fucking disappointed. Gonna work on my art and brainstorm how we can move Black History Month to July.

OneEyedKing

Oct 25, 2017
lol the people who get upset at this are the same people that think "If Hillary won we'd be at brunch right now!"

Mars

Oct 25, 2017

Imagine getting mad at Bill Burr for calling out white women for their bullshit and "fostering division," as if white women anymore protection and pearl clutching than they already get, just because he's a white man (who took credit for crimes against humanity in the routine, so let's not act like he was saying white men were not problematic).

Division between minorities is, in part, being fostered by white women whose activism begins and ends with misogyny and nothing else, because "white women voted for Trump too." It needs to be called out by everyone.

Second...he's just absolutely fucking right. Y'all will hijack a minority movement in a fucking heartbeat. It wasn't even a month into this summer's protests before we saw white women stripping naked at the police lines, as if any statement- no matter how valid- dealing with that imagery had a single, solitary fuck to do with George Floyd and police brutality.

God, I'm just fucking disappointed. Gonna work on my art and brainstorm how we can move Black History Month to July.

Sorry for quotin' ya but you said better than I ever could have. And its like, what he is saying isn't even controversial or unknown truths -- problem is, it is the truth and it hurts to hear it so blatantly laid out. Nice and clear. But yeah, the responses in this thread are... yeah, expected for the most part.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Yep, totally fair. Some of his old bits on feminism get pretty gross.

Yeah, I think I'm coming into this being familiar with his past bits which is probably why I side eyed. I've mostly stopped following standup in any serious way for years now so I'm only casually aware aware that he had improved

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017

Imagine getting mad at Bill Burr for calling out white women for their bullshit and "fostering division," as if white women need anymore protection and pearl clutching than they already get, just because he's a white man (who took credit for crimes against humanity in the routine, so let's not act like he was saying white men were not problematic).

Just quoting to say you continue to be one of my favorite posters on this site.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

edit: I really wish we had a "like post" icon here.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
When yall gonna learn whiteness is the problem and not just white men.

Because this monologue said nothing new, yall just don't listen to BIPOC voices.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for quotin' ya but you said better than I ever could have. And its like, what he is saying isn't even controversial or unknown truths -- problem is, it is the truth and it hurts to hear it so blatantly laid out. Nice and clear. But yeah, the responses in this thread are... yeah, expected for the most part.
And it's not like I don't get the idea behind wanting a woman of color to say these things, but...

People of color say this shit all the time.

Not only do white liberals don't listen to us when we do say it, but on top of that, I have online spaces where I can find far more hot fire against white women than anything Bill Burr would be allowed to get away with on public television. Ultimately, what he said is just anything I can hear from my own on a Tuesday. I am inundated with reminders of how "not shit" white women can be in the fight towards equality.

The fact that the heat was coming from a white man is an inextricable part of the joke.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Yep, it's gonna be sight to behold when so many of them stop pretending to give a damn about poverty and racism if Biden wins. Can't wait!

Racism has been solved... once again!

And looking at the Twitter threads with the vids, white women don't want to hear it. Like, at all. I don't think I've read one comment where one takes on the responsibility of acknowledging reality but chooses to critique the set instead.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Liberal white men tend to get to be individuals and separate themselves from the MAGA dudes and white women tend to not. I don't disagree with his point, but it's not like white men have a lot of room to talk.

white men in Washington and Oregonwent For Clinton in 16

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
White women are still white. The greatest trick we ever sold ourselves (ie white people) is tacking "women" at the end negates the "white" at the beginning.

The sooner we stop shedding crocodile tears at every rightful criticism heading our way, the better it will be. Hopefully Burr causes a few to do some introspection.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Meh, he's not wrong about White women co-opting movements, but it's in extremely poor taste for White men on a national stage to foster division between marginalized groups—and yes, even if they're one of the most privileged groups, White women do still face oppression in our society, especially from White men. Give a Black woman the opportunity to host the show and call this stuff out instead of another White man stand-up who yells all the time, while using incorrect labels authoritatively ("Woke movement"???)
Here's the thing: a black woman says something about this on national television and she will be assailed online and in public, possibly for the rest of her life.
But Bill Burr, being as impossibly white as he is, is practically bulletproof in comparison for saying the same thing.
And many have already said what he's saying and taken their lumps from white feminists for it, so he's just iterating a sentiment already well-shared in the first place, just in his characteristic style.

I'm good with influential white men taking the heat at a lower temperature and being able to brush it off in lieu of sacrificing another minority on the altar of social progress, thank you very much. And the fact that people are asking for that instead of asking white people to get their own house in order is deeply troublesome.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

Bravo. If there was a hall of fame on Era, this post would make it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
this was so incredibly mild lol. And yet I am not surprised that white women are losing their shit over this.