• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I almost lost it at the bit with the buckets on their heads, that was some top-tier physical comedy. Also Death's first line being "HAVE YOU COME HERE TO SUE ME AGAIN!?" was fantastic.

Like most of you have said, it wasn't a "great" movie, but it was funny, warm, and sentimental without being hokey. And damn if that wasn't the kind of movie I needed right now.

nutcasey

Oct 28, 2017
What a joy this film was! Felt very nostalgic by the end. It really was exactly what I wanted to see right now.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it would be terribad like awful garbage, but they laugh at their own jokes and have that sly 😉 we know wtf were doing, c'mon board for the ride. Let's go!

10/10

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For a Bill and Ted sequel made almost 30 years later, I can't be disappointed at all. I really enjoyed it.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Great movie! Just pure fun, I was smiling the entire way through and it made me laugh a lot. And it really ended on a high. Dennis has got some sick dance moves, he was right.

I'm glad it wasn't just some throwaway nostalgia trip. It was a genuinely fun, wholesome movie. Two thumbs up!

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Wait, shouldn't there be two of Ted's dad now? Because the version they saved from hell is from five years in the future. So we have him and current Ted's dad on present day now.

May 30, 2018
It tripped me out that Zsasz from Gotham was Dennis. I'm so used to seeing him playing dark, terrifying characters, that seeing him playing a remorseful killer robot was hilarious to me.
watch Barry on HBO. not only is it a fantastic show, Anthony Carrigan steals every dang scene he's in. and he's essentially both dark and hilariously remorseful. it's fantastic.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Really wish I liked it as much as everyone else, but the whole ride was really rough. I cant see myself ever revisiting it.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing Rufus for a second (even as a Hologram) was great.

I didn't really like the daughters as much, I saw what they were going for, but it didn't click with me very well. I warmed up to them a bit by the end, so maybe I'll like their part more on a rewatch.

LOVED that they got Ted's dad and Missy back, that was just perfect.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Wait, shouldn't there be two of Ted's dad now? Because the version they saved from hell is from five years in the future. So we have him and current Ted's dad on present day now.
I presume he'd go back to his proper time zone, like Kid Cudi did. If it didn't happen automatically then maybe they can still do it in the phone booth (if that reality is still accessible).

Yeah, one of the really upsetting stains on the first two movies is the use of that slur, that really stood out hard rewatching the first two last night, as overall, the movies are genuinely wholesome and earnest, and have such a positive message about unity, even back then. I kind of wished they had done one of those "edited for TV" type dubs over the slur for the digital releases of the films. It's one of the few times I wouldn't have minded a "Yippie Ki Yay, Mr. Falcon" type edit.

I'm sure if Covid 19 had happened, there may have been some reshoots to smooth out some of the rough edges of the film, but I honestly think it was way better than it had any right to be, given how most followups to long-running series tend to drop the ball hard.

I initially was taken aback by Keanu's portrayal of Ted in the film, especially having the first two so fresh in my mind, but I honestly think it made sense for where Ted was at in the movie. Bill was the optimist, and Ted became the realist. Even in Bogus Journey, he was the one that was like, "I got a really bad feeling," so there was always that element of his character there. I imagine he would be the one to *cough* face the music first when it comes to the situation they found us in. Over the course of the film, he started to feel more like Ted to me, just an older version.

Keanu and Alex have such great chemistry on screen, so it's sad that we won't be getting more Bill and Ted from them, although, that's honestly not a bad thing. I think the trilogy did one of the few things many trilogies drop the ball on, and that's end on a high note (no pun intended, i think). But like I said before, I wouldn't mind seeing more films or shows with Thea and Willamina, as not only are they just as charming as Bill and Ted, but they didn't get as much of an arc as Bill and Ted did in their inaugural film (obviously due to having to split the screentime with Keanu and Alex), so it'd be nice to see them have an adventure removed from their fathers to give them more characterization. Overall, they were great, and I really enjoyed their "cliff notes" version of the first two films that they went on.

Death is always great, and I loved the scene where they convince him to rejoin the band. William Sadler is always amazing, and he felt like he had never stepped away from playing Death as far as being consistent with his performance from Bogus Journey. Him and Alex Winter did a fantastic job carrying over their characters despite it being 29 years since they last played him. Keanu may have had a little John Wick in him when shooting this movie, but it didn't take me out of his portrayal as Ted, like I said. It just fit with where his character was at for this story.

I honestly wouldn't have minded seeing more future versions of Bill and Ted, as those were definitely highlights of the movie. Honestly, the entire movie could have been filled with alternate versions of Bill and Ted (I love that every single iteration except for the 96 year old versions were assholes lol). I can't say enough how good it felt to watch a film that was absent of cynicism and bleakness. Such a breath of fresh air.
Yeah, with Ted being at the place in life where he's contemplating selling his guitar, the portrayal worked for me. Whether it was the best choice for the character or not is another matter, but Keanu played it well I thought. Obviously Winter's portrayal was more nostalgic, but I'm not too upset at them being less interchangeable than they are in the other movies.

Last edited:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
watch Barry on HBO. not only is it a fantastic show, Anthony Carrigan steals every dang scene he's in. and he's essentially both dark and hilariously remorseful. it's fantastic.

Man, Barry has been on my watch list for so long and I still haven't gotten to it yet. I love Bill Hader, and the show looked great, so I'll try to get to it soon!

I presume he'd go back to his proper time zone, like Kid Cudi did. If it didn't happen automatically then maybe they can still do it in the phone booth (if that reality is still accessible).

Yeah, with Ted being at the place in life where he's contemplating selling his guitar, the portrayal worked for me. Whether it was the best choice for the character or not is another matter, but Keanu played it well I thought. Obviously Winter's portrayal was more nostalgic, but I'm not too upset at them being less interchangeable than they are in the other movies.

Yeah, rewatching the originals Friday, there really isn't much difference between the two characters, personality wise, but in this one they felt very distinct because of the tweak to Ted's energy that Keanu brought this time. They balanced each other out well. Both of them were great in this movie, and I definitely plan on rewatching at some point in the future, because it's such a warm, heartfelt movie.

I loved the tribute to George Carlin, and naming his daughter after his actual daughter was a sweet touch!

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Then why hadn't they seen a robot before?
That has nothing to do with him being a future version anyway.
A) because that's funny and logic doesn't exist in these movies
B) those were demons, and they obviously knew what a robot was from the comment
C) See A

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
I just think it's hilarious that we're debating the logic of robots being in hell.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Had a few good moments and some really funny parts, but overall.... meh? So much of the early third is just not very good, and really don't get the praise for the daughters which were just too much trying to emulate their dads instead of feeling like original characters.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
A couple questions. First, what kind of job can the grim reaper get demoted to? Who is grim reaper now? Why does a demoted grim reaper still have such a beautiful house? How does a demoted grim reaper still have the key to bringing people back to life? How can souls be returned to life if the bodies no longer exist on earth?

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
This was pleasantly surprising with a lovely ending.

I would like a follow up with the daughters as leads please - they were fantastic.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if it was just everything going on this year, but I cried at the end of this lol.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I watched Bogus for the first time in twenty years just last month in anticipation of Face the Music. Not only did they use the F-slur again, they used it twice, which was really disappointing.
I recently watched 2 movies that I loved as a kid cuz they were free on Youtube (The Gate and Teen Wolf) and both of them used the same slur and they both made me smh. Crazy how ubiquitous casual homophobia was back in the day, and in movies clearly marketed at kids and teens. It's a shitty excuse to say "those were the times" but it really was everywhere. I'm just glad those times are behind us and the media in question didn't do too much harm to me as an impressionable kid

I dunno if it was just everything going on this year, but I cried at the end of this lol.
Honestly same. Something about the idea of music being a great uniter always kinda touches me but I'm a soppy idiot that literally cries listening to music fairly regularly. Also the ending performance really gave me big Andrew WK vibes (or I guess that's backwards and Andrew WK gives big Bill & Ted vibes???)

Last edited:

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
A couple questions. First, what kind of job can the grim reaper get demoted to? Who is grim reaper now? Why does a demoted grim reaper still have such a beautiful house? How does a demoted grim reaper still have the key to bringing people back to life? How can souls be returned to life if the bodies no longer exist on earth?
It was weird to include that line when it had no payoff. It implied he couldnt just bring people back even if he wanted to. I figured they would all have to go talk to or trick whoever death's new boss is.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It was ok but, unusually these days, the film just felt rushed to me. You can tell that they've basically had to lop bits out over the years to get it to a budget low enough to get it financed and it shows. It basically boiled down to a few minutes with each future version of themselves before moving on to the next one, then a quick cameo scene with Death and then swiftly rush through the finale.

Don't get me wrong it was nice to see such a pretty wholesome movie in the current climate but it wasn't brilliant.

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
PSA: Ed Solomon is doing an AMA right now!

Edit: I asked about the gay slurs and whether he regrets having them in the film and if there would be versions released without them. His response was based on the fact I mentioned I look forward to showing my son the movies...

"i don't have it without those slurs, and we feel bad that they're there. what i did with *my* kids was talk about it in context, and tell them what we thought it meant then when we wrote it versus what it means now, and how in hindsight we deeply regret it and why"

Last edited:

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
It was weird to include that line when it had no payoff. It implied he couldnt just bring people back even if he wanted to. I figured they would all have to go talk to or trick whoever death's new boss is.
I just saw it as a joke, nothing more. It was just funny to imagine his demotion. I mean, who would dare demote Death?

May 8, 2018
So finally watched it. Marathoned all 3 together. Gotta say It was ok but felt very much like a sequel that didn't need to be made. Still it was a feel good movie and still worth a watch. Didn't cost me much anyways since I bought the 3pack on vudu for 35 bucks.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
The fact that this finally got made and came out in the hellscape of 2020 of all times just... unbelievably fucking rules. This was pretty much just what I hoped it'd be.

I can't imagine I'm the first person to connect these dots, but: Wandersong's on sale on Steam if anyone's in need of some vaguely similar vibes.

Pixels

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was ok but, unusually these days, the film just felt rushed to me. You can tell that they've basically had to lop bits out over the years to get it to a budget low enough to get it financed and it shows. It basically boiled down to a few minutes with each future version of themselves before moving on to the next one, then a quick cameo scene with Death and then swiftly rush through the finale.

Don't get me wrong it was nice to see such a pretty wholesome movie in the current climate but it wasn't brilliant.
This right here. Truth bombs.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Saw it today and I loved t. Yes, it clearly did not have the big budget but they really got alot out of everything they could. Seeing Alex and Keanu again was so cool and aside from the too abrupt ending, it was exactly the kind of fun trip 2020 needed.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Now that was a good return to a beloved series.

The Keanu and Alex found their grooves well and Samantha and Bridget did a damn good impression of their fathers. I also love that naming their daughters after each other actually has a sweet payoff in the end. I didn't expect that there was little friction between the two regarding their failures... which was a pleasant surprise.

The jokes landed well for the most part. Dennis turned out to be most hilarious assassin since Krombopulous Michael. Kristen did well for her part as well.

The music lived up for that moment and the scene of everyone playing as well as the credits was heartwarming.

Overall, it was a movie that doesn't overstay its welcome and does service to its characters. 7.5/10.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I liked it, thought it was about the same as the previous two. Good and enjoyable but nothing stand out.

I feel the end concert should have built longer and tapered off with more length. Didn't feel like the epicness they were going for built enough.

The best part I guess is how easily it feels like it slips in alongside the old ones. They landed that just right.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The second therapy scene is so good.
The movie has a staggering number of continuity errors and quite a few awkward edits, but that doesn't bother me as much as it normally would,

Dalthien

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw Face the Music - and honestly, I loved it. After all these years, it still felt perfectly at home sitting alongside the first two films in the franchise - which is a remarkable feat in itself. I love that the daughters were chips off the old block, instead of trying to go for the "child rebels against their parents" angle. It's not a perfect film by any means, but neither were the first two. Yet they are all just such charming fun. I'm so glad this film actually exists! Bogus Journey provided a great ending point for the series, but Face the Music still provides an ending that works really well, and we got a chance to take another adventure with these characters. That's all I hoped for with this film - and it delivered.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
I really liked it, it fits right in with the first two and has plenty of hilarious and heartwarming moments. The ending was really abrupt but the post-credits was the perfect send-off for the characters. Not sure I'm a fan of the daughters being the ones to actually write the song, it was predictable and feels like a cop-out. I thought the two families would all write the song together which feels like an ending more in-line with where the plot had been heading.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Gonna watch the 3 movies for the first time!

Never seen 1 and 2... i only heard of it thanks to the AVGN back in the days! Not a lot of people knows about it where i live, guess it didn't catch on at all compared to other movies from that era, so i'm really curious to see it!

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Watched all 3 movies, what a great journey that was!

it was quite obvious that
the daughters would be the one to compose the song right from the beginning (when they start talking about their knowledge of music)

But it was still great to see how it was done!

my favourite of the 3 was bogus! Sure the time travel isn't really there, but it was way more creative i think, with the designs in their own hell, death, evil robots and good robots, and many other fun things!

Be excellent to each other, and party on my dudes!

Last edited:

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just watched it. Not the funniest movie ever but had the positive vibes I needed. Even cried a bit at the end. This movie was just a warm, fuzzy blanket.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Adidas Canada releasing a shoe Nov 12 @ 10AM EST
No clue if there is a US version
Seems odd since they wear converse chucks, oh well

IondX29.jpg
bdfQdZV.jpg

MV5BMTk3Mjk5MzI3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTY4MzcyNA@@._V1_UY1200_CR85,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
MV5BOTRiNzFhNjAtNTdhMS00ZjViLWFhNTUtMWJlMTJkMGM1YzM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Just saw it. I loved it, definitely the best of the trilogy IMO. Just had a lot of funny parts and loved the daughters (who were great) pick up all those people for the band. The scene where Jimi Hendrix was playing along with Mozart was great. Also liked the robot character. A few conversations went on a bit long but that's all IMO. The concept was simple but still well executed and the ending was a 10/10. I only started watching these movies recently but I proabbly won't forget this one.