• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
This movie is fucking great. It's not as good as the first two (what could?) but it is totally a worthy entry. I loved it, even if the it was Billie and Thea all along was obvious from the get go. I don't even care about the end. The journey was incredible.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
I've been waiting for this for so long, I changed my name back to my longtime Bill and Ted inspired username. Unfortunately, I have to work until Monday, but I will be finally fulfilling what seemed like an impossible dream then - a third Bill and Ted.

I'll be commenting (maybe) then. See y'all on the flipside.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I do think there was gonna be some reshoots but COVID happened, other wise, the intro/ending would have felt more complete?

Also, the quantum realm thing had to be a shout out to this...

Which was directed by Winter and narrated by Keanu.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Even if this doesn't end up amazing I hope it gives Alex Winter a bit of a jumpstart. Always felt like he got the short end of the stick for no apparent reason. Not the greatest actor in the world but not "fade into total obscurity" worthy either.

Acting wise, I get why you might feel that way, but isn't Winter an award-winning documentary filmmaker these days?

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I enjoyed it. It's a fun movie with the same charm as the first one and even though the stakes are the end of reality, it doesn't feel as bloated as the second one. It's really tight with a great pacing. Overall, it's a fitting end to the series and I enjoyed watching it.

Best parts are Bill & Ted meeting their future selves and of course, Dennis.

During the initial end credits sequence, you can see a couple of kids in front of the real San Dimas High School, which is cool.

Keanu could be cast as Snape.

As a pedantic resident of the area, I'm gonna go full SoCal here for a minute:

So the I-210 and CA 210 meet at the 57. MP 46 is on the east side of the 57, so it's on CA-210 and not Interstate 210.

This is what mile marker 46 looks like in real life (a stretch of road I'm intimately familiar with): San Dimas Ave Exit Rules!

The area where they have the concert that saves reality looks more like the 10/57/71 meet just a couple of miles due south:
Fairplex Dr, Where the LA County Fair Lives

Last edited:

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I did really like it

but Keanu seemed a little off. Like he didnt feel as much like Tedd as Alex Winter seemed like Bill who was spot on

like I get they can't be as energetic as they were when they were young but he didn't have that dumb blissful vibe Ted should have.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe that I just watched Bill and Ted 3. I enjoyed the hell out of it and it had absolutely nothing to do with its quality. I'm not even sure if it's good or bad or what. Just the fact that it exists is enough to blow me the hell away. My mouth was agape the entire time.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was trying to figure out where MP-46 was, too.
I lost my virginity less than a mile from that spot, near the San Dimas Wash, lol.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just got done watching. Damn that was good. It just felt so great seeing Keanu and Alex Winter back as these characters, and the movie was surprisingly wholesome.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched all three films for the first time. You can really feel the influence these movies had on everything from Wayne's World, to Scott Pilgrim, to Community.
Excellent was a fun movie but Bogus was the best of the two I think. Excellent was a pretty tight film, everything came together in a fun way and had some good laughs. Definitely there was that unfortunate moment after B&T hugged, which obviously was bad at the time and has aged poorly but it also felt untrue to the characters, the whole movie is basically about how these guys love each other and need each other... the slur just feels weird. Did I hear it again in Bogus Journey? Hopefully not.
Bogus though, might be the most creative movie I've ever seen. The good robots look amazing. Station is cool. Hell was fantastic and then they go to heaven and mug people?! Just awesome. Then they get Death to join the band as a bass player? The movie is just absurd and surreal AND I LOVED IT!
Face The Music was a lot of fun and about as good as a sequel to a comedy from 29 years ago could be. The actors playing their daughters were great and while I started Face The Music a few minutes after I finished Bogus Journey it was great to see B&T together as middle aged men. Everything felt very true to the first two.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Was a little worried in the opening 20-30 minutes or so but it won me over in the end and was a worthy follow up to 2 movies that may not have been masterpieces, but were important to young me. The biggest mystery of this movie tho is who the fuck Kid Cudi knows that he got such a weird, prominent role in this.

Terminally uncool Death has clearly cemented himself as the best thing to spawn from this franchise. William Sadler absolutely still has it.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I watched the movie twice, and I still don't know if I would say I like it or not. I know logic is not a huge part of these movies, I get that...but the first two did feel like they had a set of logic within the universe. They do retcon the story with this movie though, they didn't make it sound like just one song united the world in previous movies. It was the music of Wyld Stallyons that did it. It was "excellent for dancing" like Rufus put it in the first one. The fact that their legacy boils down to just one song saving reality is not something I was a fan of.

Also, another plot gripe is why does every one who dies automatically go to hell? Shouldn't they be given a chance to challenge death too? xD They should be appearing as ghosts in the real world before just dropping down to hell.

I liked the daughters, and I liked their performances, but their sub plot got boring eventually. And they did what I hoped they wouldn't do, and kinda made the daughters the saviors. Not a fan of that because Bill and Ted were hailed as the great ones, not their daughters =/ Another movie that tries to overshadow the original cast with next gen characters, and I kinda hate it when that happens.

As a Bill and Ted movie also, I wish it had more Bill and Ted. The daughter sub plot took away the attention from them, and seriously, the best parts of this movie involved Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves meeting their future selves. Those were the moments that legit got a laugh out of me, but there wasn't enough of it. Alex Winter especially was just great to see again, and to see he still channeled the character so well. Even if he wasn't as good as he used to be, it was fun seeing Keanu in another comedic role after seeing him kicking ass for so long.

As much as I liked seeing Sadler back as Death, the scene of them convincing him to rejoin was a bit of a drag. It could have used more laughs I felt.

The third act just also feels like a mess with all that's going on. The end was also way too abrupt. Needed some better closure.

It's not a terrible viewing experience, but it's not a good movie. Just a few good scenes. I hate saying it, because I was looking forward to it quite a bit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks to a good friend I was able to watch it. What a good movie. No dark shit or anything it was like meeting old friends that you love.

imho the world could need more movies and TV-Series like that.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I only heard of it because RedLetterMedia did that re:view of it. I never even heard of it before, which I guess is not surprising. After they talked about it though, I saw that the whole film was on youtube, so I watched it that way. I think the worst part about it is that it kinda seems more mean spirited, way more than Bill & Ted films are. It was still kinda funny though, in a really "this is so dumb, but funny" kind of way, which I think was the intention, so I guess it succeeds at what it's going for? lol

HairyIncomparableGreathornedowl-size_restricted.gif

They are just relentless to that kid in it, lol
What movie is this?

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was absolutely wonderful. The themes of unity towards the end are very timely, and the video submissions actually make sense. I thought it was funny throughout and very touching. Absolutely the sequel I've been waiting for, and a fitting closure to the trilogy. Most triumphant, in fact.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Tosin Abasi did the air guitar for this movie. That's dope for me as a big fan of his.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I did really like it

but Keanu seemed a little off. Like he didnt feel as much like Tedd as Alex Winter seemed like Bill who was spot on

like I get they can't be as energetic as they were when they were young but he didn't have that dumb blissful vibe Ted should have.
He was tired dude.

I loved it. Carrigan stole every scene he was in. Thought the daughters were great. I don't know why but I laughed my ass of when Thea said "It's the future" to Rufus's daughter showing up.
Loved the future versions of Bill and Ted. I guess my biggest gripe would be the princesses. The actors were fine, just way too young. And no Station.
And who Missy ended up with was great.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just learned that the air guitar sound in this come from Tosin Abbasi... fuck yeah. Worthy sussesor to Steve Vai.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
Excellent was a fun movie but Bogus was the best of the two I think. Excellent was a pretty tight film, everything came together in a fun way and had some good laughs. Definitely there was that unfortunate moment after B&T hugged, which obviously was bad at the time and has aged poorly but it also felt untrue to the characters, the whole movie is basically about how these guys love each other and need each other... the slur just feels weird. Did I hear it again in Bogus Journey? Hopefully not.

I watched Bogus for the first time in twenty years just last month in anticipation of Face the Music. Not only did they use the F-slur again, they used it twice, which was really disappointing.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wife and I watched it last night and she doesn't have the connection with the originals I do and she thought it was fine and cute but mostly played might and magic while we watched 😂.

I thought it true to the spirit, filled with love. A couple things I wish they would have done:
1) more air guitar.
2) some reference to not using gay slurs, which is a real blemish on the originals.

overall really enjoyed it and most of all just super happy they finally got to make it.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
2) some reference to not using gay slurs, which is a real blemish on the originals.

I really expected this, something like "we've grown up a lot, dude! Remember when we used to say fa..." "I KNOW, dude! We were most unwoke!"

Also, you know that thing where you've seen a lot of movies and you can just kind of guess what might come next? They got to the mansion and I swear I thought "ahh, they need another contemporary music cameo, I bet we're gonna see Dave Grohl. This might be like a Muppet movie, celebrities left and right just going "sure, Keanu! I'd love to!" Then we see the British versions and I figured ah, ok.

Then, Dave Grohl!

Last edited:

DoughBoi

May 7, 2019

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
Glad to hear so many positive impressions. I'll be sure to check it out once the rental price is reasonable.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The slur is unfortunate. It kinda ruins Monster Squad as well.

off topic: I keep getting Monster Squad as a recommendation for my 11 yr old. But there's a huge "virgin status" plot element!

ontopic: As long as expectations are tempered for a Bill and Ted movie, I cant see anyone being not satisfied.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went to rent/buy digitally and couldn't find it. Turns out it is in cinemas only in UK, and not for another 3+ weeks.

Wtf are they thinking, between a perfect digital copy up for ripping, the delay AND people not wanting to go to a cinema right now, it gonna get pirated to hell.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Went to rent/buy digitally and couldn't find it. Turns out it is in cinemas only in UK, and not for another 3+ weeks.

Wtf are they thinking, between a perfect digital copy up for ripping, the delay AND people not wanting to go to a cinema right now, it gonna get pirated to hell.

WB has the INTL rights and they are putting out Tenet this week

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like how Kelly has cell phone reception in Hell. She must have Verizon.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Dennis totally stole the show, but also he is very much an Alex Winter character and I'm glad this movie retained some of that goofiness.

Wish it was a little longer. Wanted to see more future Bills and Teds, and Thea and Willamina(sp) also needed more time to have their own arc.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Great movie although the ending was a little rough. Now I want a movie starring their daughters.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
This was far better than I expected, had a blast watching it! Laughed from the opening scene onward. If I had one complaint, it's simply that Keanu didn't smile enough in the movie.

*air guitar*

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just finished watching it about an hour or so ago after watching the first two last night, and I really enjoyed it. I bought the $35 bundle on Vudu, since for some reason, I never owned the originals on DVD or even digitally.

It wasn't, like, super laugh out loud funny, but it was charming, had heart, and totally captured the tone of the originals, which I appreciate, when so many late entries to long-running series often try to "jazz up" the series for a new audience. I think the filmmakers knew exactly who they were making this movie for (people like me, who grew up in the 80's and loved the originals), and focused on that. Yet it's still fun and endearing for those not terribly familiar with Bill and Ted.

It was just a sweet, uplifting movie, that feels very welcome in this oppressively bleak climate we currently find ourselves in. I actually enjoyed it more than the original two. Not necessarily because it was better (2 is the weakest one, but I still had fun revisiting it for the first time in, shit, 20+ years, I think), but because it was just so...earnest. A simple movie with charming characters and writing. Bill and Ted are just as lovable as ever, and their daughters are great. I can easily see a continuation of the series with them as sole leads. Maybe a 3-6 episode tv series chronicling their goofy adventures through time.

And bring back Dennis and Kelly. Though, to be fair, I'll watch anything with Kristen Schall. I love her in everything I've seen her in. It tripped me out that Zsasz from Gotham was Dennis. I'm so used to seeing him playing dark, terrifying characters, that seeing him playing a remorseful killer robot was hilarious to me.

The callbacks and nods to the first two movies were also sweet, and didn't feel forced, which was nice.

The movie was exactly what I expected it to be, and I came away with a big smile on my face as the credits rolled. It was a feel good movie that didn't feel pandering or disingenuous. Totally what I needed to cap off my week.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
For me, I think the Robot Dennis and Ted's Daughter stole the show. I laughed almost every time both of them spoke.

I also thought the daughters' journey and the end was fantastic. 30 years ago, teenagers aspired to be rock stars, so they all tried to learn the guitar. But most young musicians of today aspire to be DJs and mix music together. As they go through the past, they collect the musicians that inspire them, and the musicians that inspire those musicians. Without any direction or mixing, together they sound terrible, but the daughters have grown up listening to music and understand music, so they know how to mix it together to get the best sound from each of them and make it work together. Having them ultimately mix the best sounds throughout history into a song to unite time and space was a fantastic idea.

That being said, I think the ending came quite quick, so they had do a lot of unexplained magic at the end to achieve it. Oh there just happened to be a Guitar Center truck there with everything they needed. Oh we could just use the time machine to travel to infinite realities at once, a concept only brought up immediately before they do it. If Bill & Ted traveled to different realities rather than just the future in their story, and they had properly set up the infinite reality theory ahead of time, I think it would've been better executed. I guess also if they had gone to different realities instead of the future, they could've gotten WAY more creative with alternate timelines, in the same vain as Hell in Bogus Journey.

Anyway,
Signed by me, not a movie director or writer.

I will probably watch it again tonight now that my expectations are tempered. :)

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Much like the first two, it's simply a "nice" film, in no way are these any some 10/10 thing, they're just pleasant feel good films that breeze by. This one had a different vibe, more low key in a way (not unlike the first film actually), though for as surreal and goofy as they are, Bill & Ted was never really "high energy". Alex Winter has still got it but Keanu has just kinda changed a lot in both appearance and personality in the last 30 years, the smiley doofus isn't quite in him anymore, though thankfully they didn't really try to have them just act like teenagers again, but rather what a middle aged Bill and Ted would be like. Death was superb though, has not lost a step.
A very good hearted film and I'm glad they got to say farewell to these characters. It avoided many of the pitfalls of recent revivals (Star Wars, Jurassic World, Terminator, etc), and was content to simply say adios.

In a likely minority opinion, Bogus Journey remains my favorite of the three films. Incredible creativity and sense of fun in that one.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, one of the really upsetting stains on the first two movies is the use of that slur, that really stood out hard rewatching the first two last night, as overall, the movies are genuinely wholesome and earnest, and have such a positive message about unity, even back then. I kind of wished they had done one of those "edited for TV" type dubs over the slur for the digital releases of the films. It's one of the few times I wouldn't have minded a "Yippie Ki Yay, Mr. Falcon" type edit.

I'm sure if Covid 19 had happened, there may have been some reshoots to smooth out some of the rough edges of the film, but I honestly think it was way better than it had any right to be, given how most followups to long-running series tend to drop the ball hard.

I initially was taken aback by Keanu's portrayal of Ted in the film, especially having the first two so fresh in my mind, but I honestly think it made sense for where Ted was at in the movie. Bill was the optimist, and Ted became the realist. Even in Bogus Journey, he was the one that was like, "I got a really bad feeling," so there was always that element of his character there. I imagine he would be the one to *cough* face the music first when it comes to the situation they found us in. Over the course of the film, he started to feel more like Ted to me, just an older version.

Keanu and Alex have such great chemistry on screen, so it's sad that we won't be getting more Bill and Ted from them, although, that's honestly not a bad thing. I think the trilogy did one of the few things many trilogies drop the ball on, and that's end on a high note (no pun intended, i think). But like I said before, I wouldn't mind seeing more films or shows with Thea and Willamina, as not only are they just as charming as Bill and Ted, but they didn't get as much of an arc as Bill and Ted did in their inaugural film (obviously due to having to split the screentime with Keanu and Alex), so it'd be nice to see them have an adventure removed from their fathers to give them more characterization. Overall, they were great, and I really enjoyed their "cliff notes" version of the first two films that they went on.

Death is always great, and I loved the scene where they convince him to rejoin the band. William Sadler is always amazing, and he felt like he had never stepped away from playing Death as far as being consistent with his performance from Bogus Journey. Him and Alex Winter did a fantastic job carrying over their characters despite it being 29 years since they last played him. Keanu may have had a little John Wick in him when shooting this movie, but it didn't take me out of his portrayal as Ted, like I said. It just fit with where his character was at for this story.

I honestly wouldn't have minded seeing more future versions of Bill and Ted, as those were definitely highlights of the movie. Honestly, the entire movie could have been filled with alternate versions of Bill and Ted (I love that every single iteration except for the 96 year old versions were assholes lol). I can't say enough how good it felt to watch a film that was absent of cynicism and bleakness. Such a breath of fresh air.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
loved it, I was embarrassed that I teared up at the end. I had low expectations based on the early reviews but this was a truly righteous way to finish a trilogy!

Ade

Oct 26, 2017
UK
. If Bill & Ted traveled to different realities rather than just the future in their story, and they had properly set up the infinite reality theory ahead of time, I think it would've been better executed.

I think that was the point of the Princesses journey, to set up the realities part, it just was a bit rushed and odd