• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

Hey everyone!

We're so excited to launch a new feature in Bigscreen today called "BIGSCREEN CINEMA"

You can watch the launch video here on YouTube

We signed a multi-year partnership with Paramount Pictures to distribute their 2D & 3D movies in VR in 10 countries around the world.

Watch 3D movies together with friends in VR
If you've never watched a 3D movie in VR, prepare to have your mind blown. 3D movies in VR have a layer of immersion and depth not possible with 2D movies or traditional 3D movies in a theater with glasses.

4 new movies premiere every Friday at 6PM EST, with showtimes every 30 minutes
If you miss the premiere showing, join another one! Showtimes are every 30 minutes, and movies run for 1 week before being replaced by new movies the following Friday.

If you can't finish watching in one sitting, no problem: after you start watching, your ticket is still valid for showtimes within the next 48 hours as long as the movie is still available in Bigscreen.

Public and private screenings, cross-platform VR support
Bigscreen Cinema also has social features, enabling you to watch movies together with people. You can watch by yourself, with friends in a private screening, or meet movie fans around the world in public screenings.

Bigscreen is fully cross-platform, and available on Oculus Quest, Oculus Go**, Oculus Rift/Rift S, Valve Index, HTC Vive, all Steam VR headset, and all Windows Mixed Reality headsets.

Oculus recently dropped support for the GearVR, so please note this is not available for GearVR. Oculus Go\* currently is limited to private screenings and we're working hard to enable public screenings on Go.)

New themed cinema environments
Our cinema environments include a a new SciFi space station environment, and our classic favorites, a Modern Cinema and a Retro Cinema. Star Trek and Interstellar will be screened in custom space station environments with special visual effects only visible to movie attendees.

Launching in 10 countries around the world
We're launching in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain, Sweden, Netherlands, Australia, and Japan!

It took enormous effort to launch internationally, when most companies only launch in the US! This covers 90%+ of our userbase today, and we're working on adding more countries in the future.

Tickets are $3.99 (2D movies) and $4.99 (3D movies)
Purchase tickets in advance from https://www.bigscreenvr.com/cinema (prices vary by country/currency). You can also browse our upcoming lineup for the next month, which includes blockbuster hits like Interstellar, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Terminator 2, Top Gun 3D, and more!

You can download Bigscreen for free from the Oculus Store and Steam.

We hope you enjoy Bigscreen Cinema. Our team of 10 devs have been working incredibly hard over the past several years to bring you this feature.

Thank you,

- the Bigscreen Devs

This is pretty damn wild. I am gonna have to try this out and see how it works, but I wouldn't be surprised if more companies jumped on this ship.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
This feels like some real Xzibit-style "Yo we heard you like screens so we put a screen in your screen" silliness, but I certainly hope it's awesome for folks that are into this kind of thing.

OP
OP
Komo

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
This feels like some real Xzibit-style "Yo we heard you like screens so we put a screen in your screen" silliness, but I certainly hope it's awesome for folks that are into this kind of thing.
What super awesome I think is that you can also watch 3D movies plus it's prices are stupid cheap.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
They need to up the resolution on those headsets. It was a nice novelty on the Vibe, but I wouldn't do any serious watching on it.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried Bigscreen - but I have tried Amazon Prime video on Quest.

It simulates a darkened theater with red velvet seats and otherwise just places the movie at a reasonable distance in front of you. The lights go down when you start watching or click.

Stupid, right?

WRONG.

It's one of the most startlingly cool VR experiences I've ever tried. I was giggling the first time.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried Bigscreen - but I have tried Amazon Prime video on Quest.

It simulates a darkened theater with red velvet seats and otherwise just places the movie at a reasonable distance in front of you. The lights go down when you start watching or click.

Stupid, right?

WRONG.

It's one of the most startlingly cool VR experiences I've ever tried. I was giggling the first time.
Does the image actually look good?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes. Oddly enough the screen door is far less apparent or distracting in movies than it is in games. Might be some smart image processing or just a natural aspect of the tech/frame rate, but it's remarkably pleasant. And I'm EXTREMELY sensitive to low res video on TVs. Like I get upset watching Fox NFL broadcasts (shitty old 720p infrastructure they refuse to fix). I used to march around the kingdom fixing people's Xbox 360 settings back in the day.

But for whatever reason, the quality of Prime on Quest is pleasant. I am keen for the tech to improve, gimme 8k high density oleds, but it's currently better for movies than graphics IMO.

Deleted member 62100

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2019

Coming from a 1080p TV or monitor? Not that much. It's effectively a sub-720p resolution video with varying levels of SDE, color banding, etc. stretched to movie theater size. And the limited FOV and sweet spot of most VR headsets means you won't be able to see the entire image unless you're using the "backseat of the theater" position. BUT there is something magical about it, at least at first. The feeling of having your own private cinema experience, although drastically cut down, has value. I would honestly watch most of my movies in VR if not for the fact that I find my headset (the Oculus Go) extremely uncomfortable even with a third-party facial interface. Because of the limited FOV and sweet spot, you end up moving your head a lot to see the edges of the screen because you can't just move your eyes. The weight of the headset becomes more and more noticeable.

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
one day psvr will get a decent cinema/movie app, i thought it would be one of the first things.

Oct 27, 2017
Watching Netflix on Xbox 360 with friends when they had that functionality was one of the coolest things on the platform, and that was 2009. So I dig this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.